About the Boss 550B
Dust off your CDs
Dust off your CDs
Maybe you've never stopped listening to CDs, but if you're like me, you have discs that haven't seen daylight in years. With this Boss 550B CD receiver in your dash, you can bring them back into daily rotation for a blast of nostalgia. Or maybe an iPod Classic is your thing — just plug it into the front auxiliary input. A front-panel USB port lets you play MP3 audio files from a flash drive, and built-in Bluetooth® makes hands-free calling and wireless music streaming easy. Oh, and an AM/FM tuner rounds out Boss's impressive list of source options.
The beauty of Bluetooth
Bluetooth compatibility lets you answer a phone call with the push of a button and frees up your hands so you can focus on driving. Plus, enjoy streaming music apps like Spotify® and Pandora®, or your favorite podcasts wirelessly with basic controls.
Build a system
Use built-in EQ presets to get your music sounding just the way you like it. And when you're ready to add a little more power to your sound, Boss gives you two sets of preamp outputs to connect an amp or powered sub.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- single-line dot-matrix display
- fits 2" tall dash openings
- wireless remote control
- preset EQ settings with bass and treble controls
- inputs: front auxiliary input and USB port (no smartphone control), rear auxiliary (RCA) input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front and rear)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 5 years (3 years Canada)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 550B
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 2 Removal tools
- Self-tapping screw
- Rear-support stud
- Flat washer
- Lock washer
- User's Manual
- Warranty/Registration Card
- "Thank You" card
- "Like us on Facebook" card
Boss 550B reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Boss 550B
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front, RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1A|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||Bluish white|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yr (US), 3 Yr (CA)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yr (US), 3 Yr (CA)|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Variety of Sources
Audio & Tuner Section
Display & Remote Features
Variety of Sources
Bluetooth Technology: The Boss 550B CD receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, providing phone communication and audio streaming for added convenience in the vehicle. Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the 550B.
- Phone Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Boss 550B allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer or end a call through the head unit's front-panel controls. The 550B allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the head unit's integrated microphone and your car audio speakers. You can make a call using the included remote control's keypad (there is no phonebook transfer). Your music will mute automatically during a call.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Boss 550B also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or portable digital music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) of from the 550B. Advance music navigation and song/artist information will still need to be handled through the Bluetooth mobile device. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Because phone calls have to be made using the included remote control, which could cause you to take you eyes off the road, please pull your vehicle over and come to a complete stop in a safe location when making a phone call.
Disc Compatibility: The Boss 550B features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/RW audio discs. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs. ESP (Electronic skip protection) is a feature that buffers the CD while playing, storing 5 seconds of music. If disc reading is interrupted, the player momentarily uses the stored data, while the tracking circuitry finds the passage prior to the interruption on the CD for continuous performance.
USB Port: The 550B is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto a compatible USB msc device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones/tablets.
Dual Aux Inputs: The CD receiver is fitted with a front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection of any portable audio player with a 3.5mm headphone output. The head unit is also fitted with a rear-panel stereo RCA input for connection of an external audio source.
Audio & Tuner Section
4Ch Amplifier & Preouts: The Boss 550B CD receiver employs a 60W (peak) x 4ch amplifier. The 550B is also outfitted with front & rear 2-volt RCA outputs to connect an external amplifier.The front and rear RCA outputs are not switchable to a subwoofer out.
- Equalizer: You can choose between 4 preset modes - Pop, Rock, Classic, Flat, or Off. In addition to the EQ Presets, the 550B offers independent Bass & Treble control.
- Loudness: The Loudness function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer at lower volumes.
- Turn-On Volume: You can set the receiver to turn on to preset level (0-40) or the last volume level selected each time you turn the unit off and on. The default turn on volume is 20.
Note: The unit does not feature built-in low pass or high pass crossover frequency settings.
AM/FM Tuner: The Boss 550B features a built-in AM/FM tuner. The 550B features 3 FM banks and 2 AM bank for storing presets (automatically or manually). You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (total of 30). You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Display & Remote Features
Non-Detachable Faceplate: Unlike many other CD receivers, the Boss 550B's faceplate does not detach and is fixed to the radio.
Fixed Illumination: The front-panel LCD screen features a bluish-white illumination color, while the buttons have a blue illumination color. The LCD screen and button illumination are fixed and not variable.
IR Remote: The Boss 550B includes a 21-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the CD receiver. The remote even allows you to answer and end Bluetooth phone calls.
Beep Tone: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm operation This function can be turned On or Off.
11 questions already asked
I think people fail to read manuals.... this unit does have bass and treble functions in addition it has an automatic volume setting where u can pick the level of volume the unit goes to automatically when car starts.... awesome sound and features for the price... 5 stars. Boss wins my vote again!!!
Robert from Parma,OH