About the Boss BV9386NV
A stylish way to stay on track
A stylish way to stay on track
The BV9386NV DVD navigation receiver from Boss enhances your dash's appearance and makes you look like a genius for adding on-the-go guidance without spending a fortune. It's got a sweet 6.2" display, which provides accurate maps and directions across the entire United States. And you can dial up your favorite audio and video sources right through the user-friendly touchscreen. Got a phone with Bluetooth®? The BV9386NV also lets you make hands-free calls and stream audio from compatible devices.
Drive with confidence
This Boss receiver provides convenient guidance that'll easily complement your driving style. You'll get directions across all 50 states and Puerto Rico, and have access to six million points of interest when it's time for a pit stop. You'll hear actual street names at turns. Lane guidance ensures you'll be in the correct position for your next turn, and you can see realistic views of some highway signs for added assurance.
The BV9386NV's powered by iGO 8 navigation software, the standard in many factory navigation systems. iGO 8 offers rapid maps, spot-on directions, and a wide range of features to help you explore your surroundings.
Bluetooth calling and music streaming
The BV9386NV offers Bluetooth connectivity, so you'll be able to make and take calls using your compatible phone through the stereo. You can talk right through the built-in mic on the front panel, so your callers will hear you clearly. You can stream music from your smartphone, and control basic playback functions with the receiver's touchscreen.
Sound and vision
A composite A/V output lets you send movies or other video content to external video monitors, so you can keep the backseat crew entertained. A 10-band equalizer lets you tweak the audio settings to suit your tastes, and the full complement of preamp outputs includes a dedicated subwoofer out with low-pass filter and level control.
Jam on it
Bring your favorite CDs and DVDs on the road with you, including discs loaded with MP3 or WMA files. The receiver's front card slot accommodates your SD card loaded with jams for the long haul. A front USB input makes it easy to connect a thumb drive full of music, or you can jack a satellte radio tuner or other device into audio/video input.
A dedicated input on the rear panel accommodates an optional rear-view camera to let you get in and out of tight spaces more easily. Your passengers will appreciate the included wireless remote control which allows them to choose their favorite tunes from anywhere in the vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amplifier (20 watts RMS/80 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (through built-in microphone) and audio streaming
- remote control
- maps of United States and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB, and SD memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 10-band EQ with 8 presets, low-pass filter
- inputs: front USB input; front 3.5mm A/V input; rear A/V input; SD card slot; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, mono subwoofer); composite video output
Other Features and Specs:
- microSD card input for navigation
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BV9386NV
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver (15A fuse)
- 4GB Map microSD card
- Sleeve (attached w/ 4 screws)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Preamp/AV harness
- 20" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 6.5' cable)
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- Rear-support stud
- User's Manual
- GPS User's Manual
- Limited Warranty Card
- 3 Year Warranty Extension Offer
Boss BV9386NV reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Boss BV9386NV
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||80 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||18 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
6.2" Touchscreen Display: The Boss BV9386NV navigation receiver features a fixed 6.2" widescreen touchscreen LCD monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
Start Up Time: The Boss BV9386NV has a start up time of approximately 10.5 seconds from Off to an AV Source screen, and a start up time of 29.5 seconds from Off to the Navigation Menu.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the unit's LCD touchscreen controls, the BV9386NV also features hard-key controls on the left edge of the screen (including a 3-way rotary audio control).
12/24 Hour Clock: You can set the unit to display a 12 or 24 hour clock. The clock is visible from any source.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the green wire within the harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, you will get a blank screen. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and the navigation on-screen map.
2-DIN Chassis: The BV9386NV has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The BV9386NV offers built-in steering wheel remote compatibility with select non-CAN Bus Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, and Suzuki vehicles.
Note: This unit is not compatible with external steering wheel control interfaces.
IR Remote: The BV9386NV includes a 44-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation receiver.
iGO8 & TomTom Navigation Software: The Boss BV9386NV offers a comprehensive map database from TomTom covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Puerto Rico, and Canada. Navigation data is stored on the unit's preloaded 4GB microSD-card for quick access and response. The BV9386NV's integrated iGO8 navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date. Simply purchase & download new map data from the naviextras.com online portal, store the updated map data on a microSD card, and insert it into the Boss BV9386NV via the front-panel microSD card slot.
GPS (Global Position System): The built-in iGO8 navigation software helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The GPS antenna is designed to be installed on your dash inside the vehicle. The iGO8 navigation software uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The built-in navigation software considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a dark blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The BV9386NV allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Boss BV9386NV's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
Audible Alerts: The Boss BV9386NV offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the BV9386NV provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The BV9386NV provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: When driving at high speed, the noise in the car may be too loud to clearly hear the voice guidance and other sounds. Using Dynamic Volume you can instruct IGO 8 to increase the volume when your speed exceeds a certain minimum, and reach its highest volume at the given maximum speed. The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
Destination Search: The Destination Search menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display.|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or Search for a city (central location), or Search for the intersection of two roads.|
|Find POI||Search for points-of-interest (POIs) near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination. You can search by name of place or by category.|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall, like your home or work address.|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Coordinates||Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.|
Route Calculation: The Boss BV9386NV calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when
calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Auto Reroute: If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Safety Mode: Safety Mode disables the touchscreen above 6 mph to keep your attention on the road.
Disc Compatibility: The Boss BV9386 features a single disc player that will playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW discs.
Front-Panel USB Port: The BV9386NV is equipped with a front-panel miniUSB (type-B) port and comes with a miniUSB-to-USB cable for connection of a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio players, or thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of music, video, and picture files loaded onto a compatible USB msc device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
Front-Panel SD-Card Slot: The Boss navigation receiver features a front-panel SD-card slot. The BV9386NV supports playback of music, video, and picture files loaded onto a SD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
File Compatibility: The Boss head unit supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW)||Flash (USB or SD/SDHC)|
|File System||ISO9660, Joliet||FAT 32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA (32-320 kbps; 32-48kHz)|
|Video||MPEG, MP4, AVI, Xvid|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/512 files||99 folders/999 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA-tags,|
Parental Protection: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Boss BV9386NV navigation receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, providing hands-free communication and audio streaming for added convenience and safety in the vehicle.
- Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Boss BV9386NV allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. The head unit will display the caller's phone number and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer or end a call through the head unit's front-panel controls. The BV9386NV allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the head unit's integrated microphone and your car audio speakers. Your music will mute automatically during a call. You can make a call by using the head unit's touchscreen numeric keypad, phonebook transfer, or call history (missed/received/dial).
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Boss BV9386NV also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled phone, PDA, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause) from the BV9386NV. Advance music navigation and song/artist information will still need to be handled through the Bluetooth mobile device. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the BV9386NV. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Boss BV9386NV.
80W (Peak) x 4Ch Amp: The Boss BV9386NV navigation receiver employs a 80W (peak) x 4ch amplifier.
5ch/2V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The BV9386NV features front, rear and subwoofer 2.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The mono-subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Crossover (80/120/160Hz) for subwoofer preamp output.
EQ Presets: You can choose between eight preset modes; Optimal, Classic, Rock, Jazz, EDM, Pop, Flat, or User. The User mode activates an adjustable 10-band EQ (31.25, 62.5, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz)
Loudness: When listening to music at low volumes, this feature will selectively boost certain bass and treble frequencies.
DRC: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of Auto or On.
Volume Adjust: You can increase the relative volume (0-12) of the unit's source inputs to match the external source's output level.
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Boss BV9386NV features a built-in AM/FM tuner. The BV9386NV features 3 FM banks and 2 AM bank for storing presets (automatically or manually). You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (total of 30). Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Dual AV Inputs: The Boss BV9386NV is fitted with a front-panel 3.5mm input for connection of a portable audio device, such as your Apple iPod/iPhone. The BV9386NV also features a rear-panel A/V input that consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external AV device, like your Blu-ray player or game system.
Video Out: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output will display whatever video signal that is being displayed on the head unit's integrated 6.2" LCD touchscreen.
Rearview Camera Input: The BV9386NV features a composite video input and a pink reverse wire lead for connection of a rear view camera (sold separately). This enables better visibility when backing up. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the integrated 6.2" LCD screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
Extended Warranty: Units purchased from Crutchfield after 3/1/2015 carry an extended warranty relative to purchases from Boss' standard dealer network. The new warranty is 3 years parts and labor.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
36 questions already asked