About the Boss BV960NV
Superb directions and sonic options galore
Superb directions and sonic options galore
Taking the scenic route might be a grand idea for a lazy Sunday afternoon, but most of us need to get to our destination as quickly as possible. The BV960NV navigation receiver from Boss fills out your 4" dash opening as a trusted guide and entertainment center, so you can drive to the music that puts you in the mood you want, rather than just being stressed out about being lost. Boss even includes a wireless remote control so your passengers can get in on the action. This receiver's a tremendous value, too, so you can stop for that extra-fancy coffee along the way without feeling guilty.
A 6.2" touchscreen display
The BV960NV sports a gorgeous, user-friendly monitor, which allows you to see the included maps of the United States (except Hawaii) and Puerto Rico with ease. And you'll have millions of points of interest to choose from when it's time for a break from the road. Pull up audio and video sources through the touchscreen, including digital files stored on USB drives or SD cards, streaming audio from your smartphone, a wired portable MP3 player, and good old-fashioned discs.
Not only does the Boss provide accurate guidance, it helps you with text-to-speech voice prompts, which announce actual street names at turns. You'll hear "turn left on Cordelia Drive," instead of "take the next left." Lane guidance ensures you'll be in the correct position for your next turn, and you can see realistic views of some highway signs for added assurance.
Bluetooth® calling and music streaming
The BV960NV offers Bluetooth connectivity, so you'll be able to make and take calls using your compatible phone through the stereo. You can talk right through the built-in mic on the front panel, so your callers will hear you clearly. You can stream music from your smartphone, and control basic playback functions with the receiver's touchscreen.
Plenty of connections
The receiver's front-panel slot accommodates your SD card loaded with jams for the long haul, while the front aux in works with portable devices. A front USB input makes it easy to connect a thumb drive full of music, or you can jack a satellite radio tuner or other device into the rear audio/video input. A dedicated input on the rear panel accepts an optional rear-view camera so you can get in and out of tight spaces more easily. A composite A/V output lets you send movies or other video content to external video monitors, so you can keep the backseat crew entertained.
Hit the road with your FLACs
The BV960NV doesn't just play MP3 and WAV files — it also works with full-resolution FLAC files from USB drives and SD cards. Now you can enjoy 24-bit/96kHz fidelity for all your favorite tunes on the road without converting them to inferior lossless formats. A 10-band equalizer lets you tweak the audio settings to suit your tastes, and the full complement of preamp outputs includes a dedicated subwoofer out with low-pass filter and level control.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amplifier (20 watts RMS/80 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (through built-in microphone) and audio streaming
- remote control
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 96kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- maps of United States (except Hawaii) and Puerto Rico, plus millions of points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB, and SD memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 10-band EQ with 8 presets, low-pass filter
- inputs: front USB input; front 3.5mm A/V input; rear A/V input; SD card slot; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- microSD card input for navigation maps and updates
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BV960NV
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 6.2" monitor (15A fuse)
- 8GB microSD map card (installed)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 10' cable)
- Self-adhesive pad
- 2 Brackets
- 8 ISO-screws
- Self-tapping screw
- Rear-support stud
- Rubber boot
- User's Manual
- GPS User's Manual
- Warranty Card
- Product Registration Card
- "Thank You" card
Boss BV960NV reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Boss BV960NV
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||80 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N|
|Preamp Voltage||2.0 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
6.2" LCD Touchscreen: Boss BV960NV navigation receiver features a fixed 6.2" widescreen touchscreen LCD monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Wallpaper/Backgrounds: You can choose from 5 preset wallpaper/backgrounds.
- Clock & Date: You can set and display the date & time.
- Backlight Brightness: You can adjust the LCD touchscreen monitor's brightness for day and nighttime viewing.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in LCD screen as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Start Up Time: The Boss BV960NV has a start up time of approximately 8.1 seconds from Off to an AV Source screen, and a start up time of 21.7 seconds from Off to the Navigation Map screen.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the unit's LCD touchscreen controls, the BV960NV also features hard-key controls on the left edge of the screen (including a 3-way rotary audio control).
IR Remote: The Boss BV960NV includes a 39-button IR remote control for complete wireless operation of the navigation receiver.
NDrive Navigation Software: The Boss BV960NV contains map coverage of the United States (except Hawaii) and Puerto Rico with over a million points-of-interest from TomTom; all stored on the pre-installed 8GB microSD card. The BV960NV employs NDrive software for turn-by-turn visual and voice guidance to your selected destination. The software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included on-screen navigation map.
Note: While the receiver's map database (2015) was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: NDrive offers periodic updates (purchase fees will apply) for data such as roads, new addresses, and other navigational information that will keep the Boss navigation system up to date and provide the best possible experience. For updates and add-on options, please visit NDrive.com.
Note: Currently there are no map updates for this unit and no ETA on any future map updates.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Boss BV960NV features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside or outside of the vehicle.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 53.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It only took 22.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
2D or 3D Map: The unit's on-screen 2D or 3D map shows your vehicle's current position (a Green arrow), the recommended route (a violet line), the surrounding map area, and your destination (checkered flag). The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Boss BV960NV's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-To-Speech: In addition to graphic directions, the BV960NV provides voice guidance with text-to-speech. You'll get turn-by-turn instructions with the announcement of street names. You can select from English, French, or Spanish languages.
Destination Search: You are able to select a destination by touching an area on the map screen, entering an address, choosing a POI, picking a saved Favorite, or choosing from your recent History.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Enter a full address or a part of an address; you can enter Country, State, Town, and or Street.
- POIs: Search millions of POIs (points-of interest) near you current location, in a city, within a postcode, or around a set of coordinates.
- Favorites (Home): You can save your favorite addresses (like Home & Work) and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling.
- History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access.
- Itinerary: You can select from saved Itineraries and Waypoints.
Routing Options: You can choose how the head unit's navigation system calculates your route by selecting Fastest or Shortest. You can also indicate if you want to use or avoid Toll roads.
Preview Route: Once the unit has calculated the route to your destination, you can preview the turn-by-turn instructions, view the map route, and simulate travel along the route.
Route Alternatives: The NDrive navigation software gives you the option to calculate an alternative route, place a roadblock (if for any reason a part of the route is blocked), avoid part of the route (due to traffic or other info), or re-calculate the original route if you made any changes.
Safety Alerts: The unit's navigation software features visual & audible safety alerts.
- Speed Limit Alarm: An audible alarm will ring when you exceed the speed limit which you configure; you may choose to turn this feature off.
- Road Speed Alert: The unit will display and announce the speed limit of the roadway you are driving (when applicable).
- Safety Camera Alert: You will receive a visual and audible alert of the presence of safety cameras during your route.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Bluetooth Technology: The Boss BV960NV navigation receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, providing hands-free communication and audio streaming for added convenience and safety in the vehicle.
Pairing: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the BV960NV. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Boss BV960NV.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Boss BV960NV allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. The head unit will display the caller's phone number and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer or end a call through the head unit's front-panel controls. The BV960NV allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the head unit's integrated microphone and your car audio speakers. Your music will mute automatically during a call. You can make a call using the the Boss receiver's LCD touchscreen via its on-screen keypad, your phone's transferred phonebook, or list of your most recent calls.
Note: This unit does not support the connection of external microphone.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Boss BV960NV also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or other device using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the Boss head unit. Advance music navigation and song/artist information will still need to be handled through the Bluetooth mobile device. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Disc Compatibility: The Boss BV960NV features a single disc player that will playback DVD-video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports a variety of music, video, and photo files via DVD or CD.
- Off Insert/Eject: You can load and eject a disc with the unit off. Playback will automatically start when inserting a disc.
- Auto Reload: When a disc is ejected and left sticking out of the disc slot for 10 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the disc to protect if from damage.
SD-Card Slot: The Boss navigation receiver features a front-panel SD-card slot for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files recorded onto a SD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
USB Port: The BV960NV is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player (up to 32GB). The unit supports playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files loaded onto a compatible USB msc device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphone/tablet.
Media File Compatibility: The Boss BV960NV supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3, WMA, AAC||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC (24-bit/96kHz), WAV|
|Video||AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4|
|Photo||JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG|
Song/Artist Info: The receiver will display song/artist/album information from MP3, WMA, AAC, & FLAC music files.
Playback & Search Control: The head unit offers Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, Repeat (all/folder/track) and Random (all/folder). It also provides direct track entry using it's touchscreen keypad for quicker access, and a folder/track list so you can you scroll through your music files.
Parental Lock: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
20W x 4Ch Amp: The Boss BV960NV navigation receiver is equipped with a 20 watt (RMS) x 4 channel amplifier.
6Ch/2V Pre-outs: The Boss BV960NV features front, rear and subwoofer 2.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer pre-outs output are non-fading
Low Pass Crossover: The head unit's subwoofer pre-out utilizes its own low pass crossover which can be set to 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off.
EQ: The receiver offers 7 EQ presets - User, Rock, Pop, Live, Dance, Classic, and Jazz. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 10-band EQ (32Hz, 62.5Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, 16kHz).
Loudness: The Loudness feature enhances high & low frequencies at lower volume levels.
Reverb: The Reverb feature adds echo effects of a Living Room, Hall, Concert, Cave, or Bathroom. You can also turn this feature completely off.
Beep Tone: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm operation This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Boss BV960NV features a built-in AM/FM tuner. The BV960NV features 3 FM banks and 2 AM banks for storing presets (automatically or manually). You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (total of 30). Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. You can also switch between Stereo/Mono modes for better reception.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- US/Euro Tuning: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Front-Panel Aux Input: The Boss BV960NV is fitted with a front-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) Aux input for connecting a portable audio device.
AV Input: The Boss BV960NV features a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external portable audio/video source.
Dual Video Outputs: Two composite video output jacks allow you to add external monitors, such as rear headrest monitors (sold separately). The video outputs can display a DVD, USB, microSD, or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Rearview Camera Input: The BV960NV features a composite video input for connection of a rear view camera (sold separately). This enables better visibility when backing up. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the integrated 6.2" LCD screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire within harness must be connected to the reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 second.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
The Boss BV960NV replaces these items
- maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 1.2 million points of interest
- dedicated button for smart voice assistants (Siri, Google Assistant)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (through built-in microphone) and audio streaming
- maps of United States and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- 10-band EQ with 8 presets, low-pass filter
61 questions already asked