About the Boss BV9980NV
Touchscreen navigation through your car's 2" tall dash opening
Touchscreen navigation through your car's 2" tall dash opening
Even though you've got a single-DIN (2" tall) dash opening in your ride, you can still enjoy fingertip control of DVDs and CDs through a screen, plus reliable GPS guidance. The BV9980NV navigation receiver from Boss gives you accurate maps across the United States on a generous 7" fold-out touchscreen display which tucks back into your dash when not in use. And you can pull up your favorite audio and video sources right through the user-friendly interface. When you're on the go, you can make hands-free calls and stream audio from compatible devices through the stereo's built-in Bluetooth® connectivity.
Know you're on the right path
This Boss receiver provides convenient guidance by NDrive from doorstop to doorstop, whether you're in the city or the country. You'll get directions across all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and have access to 8 million points of interest when it's time for a pit stop. You'll hear voice directions at each turn, and you can take advantage of 3D graphics of buildings and landmarks, plus realistic views of intersections, including highway signs. Lane guidance ensures you'll be in the correct position for your next turn, so you can proceed with confidence.
Talk and listen to music over Bluetooth
The BV9980NV offers Bluetooth connectivity, so you'll be able to make and take calls using your compatible phone through the stereo. The built-in mic on the receiver's front panel will pick up your part of the conversation with ease, and you have the option of adding an external mic if you drive a convertible or another noisy vehicle. You can stream music from your smartphone, and control basic playback functions with the receiver's touchscreen.
Audio and video control
Bring your favorite CDs and DVDs on the road with you, including discs loaded with audio media files. A composite A/V output lets you send movies or other video content to external video monitors, so you can keep your rear-seat passengers entertained. An EQ button lets you choose between three preset curves, and the full complement of preamp outputs includes a dedicated subwoofer out with low-pass filter and level control.
Connection options galore
If you're into digital media, the BV9980NV's offers both front and rear USB inputs for quick connection of your flash drives or iPod®. The receiver's front card slot sits behind the faceplate, and is perfect for your SD cards filled with music for the road. You also get a front minijack input for additional audio sources, such as a satellite radio tuner.
The Boss BV9980NV's removable face adds a layer of safety and convenience.
A dedicated input on the rear panel accommodates an optional rear-view camera to let you get in and out of tight spaces more easily. Get your travel companions involved with the included wireless remote control so they can choose their favorite tunes from anywhere in the vehicle.Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" fold-out touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits single-DIN (2" tall) dash openings
- internal amplifier (20 watts RMS/85 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (through built-in or external microphone) and audio streaming
- remote control
- maps of United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 8 million points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of landmarks and buildings
- speed limit and safety camera alerts
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB, and SD memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- EQ button with 3 preset curves (Rock, Pop, Metal)
- low-pass filter
- inputs: front and rear USB inputs; front 3.5mm A/V input; rear A/V input; front SD card slot; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, mono subwoofer); two composite video outputs
- microSD card input for navigation
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BV9980NV
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ motorized-retractable 7" monitor (15A fuse)
- 4GB Map microSD card (pre-installed)
- Control panel (inside face-case)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Main harness
- Power/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- 20" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 16.5' cable)
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery pre-installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Self-adhesive pad
- User's Manual
- Navigation User's Manual
- Tech Bulletin
- Warranty Card
- Warranty Extension Offer Card
Boss BV9980NV reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Boss BV9980NV
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||85 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
7" Motorized Touchscreen Monitor: The Boss BV9980NV features a motorized-retractable 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touchscreen LCD display with an adjustable viewing angle. The resolution of the display is 800 x RGB (3) x 480 with 1,152,000 pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. You can adjust the monitor's angle for better visibility.
- Wallpaper Screen: You can choose between six wallpaper background screens - Rain, Lines, Trees, Leaf, Colors, or Grass.
- Adjustable Dimmer: You can manually adjust the brightness of the unit's LCD monitor.
- Clock & Calendar: The head unit provides a clock & calendar display. The Calendar is only displayed when selected. The clock is displayed on every source, navigation, and menu screen. The head unit must be powered on to view clock or calendar.
- Multiple Languages: Select English, Spanish, or Chinese text for the system's menu.
Note: It takes approximately 4.5 seconds for the unit's motorized monitor to open and close.
Start Up Time: The Boss BV9980NV has a start up time of approximately 12.33 seconds from Off to an AV Source screen, and a start up time of 40.71 seconds from Off to the Navigation Menu.
Detachable Front-Panel w/ Hard Key Controls: The Boss BV9980NV features a detachable front-panel with hard-key control buttons and an 8-character/segment display. This display can be used during music playback for track & song information without having to use the motorized 7" monitor. Control buttons along the front-panel include a 3-way rotary dial for volume and audio settings; plus Power, Eject, Preset, Mode, Mute, and Playback buttons.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the pink wire connected to the head unit's rear-chassis must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, you will get a blank screen. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, song/artist info, and the navigation on-screen map.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The BV9980NV offers built-in steering wheel remote compatibility with select non-CAN Bus Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, and Suzuki vehicles. Please click here to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Note: This unit is not compatible with external steering wheel control interfaces.
IR Remote: The BV9980NV includes a 44-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation receiver.
NDrive & TomTom Navigation Software: The Boss BV9980NV offers a comprehensive map database from TomTom covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands. Navigation data is stored on the unit's preloaded 4GB microSD-card for quick access and response. The BV9980NV's integrated NDrive navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: NDrive's store offers you additional free or purchasable features, such as voices or new maps that will enhance the navigation receiver's software and user experience.
GPS (Global Position System): The built-in NDrive navigation software helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The GPS antenna is designed to be installed outside the vehicle. The NDrive navigation software uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The built-in navigation software considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a yellow arrow), the recommended route (an blue line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The BV9980NV allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Boss BV9980NV's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
Audible Alerts: The Boss BV9980NV offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the BV9980NV provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The BV9980NV provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts. You can adjust the volume level of the navigation voice-prompts independently from the head unit's main volume.
Destination Search: The Destination Search menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
- Browse Map: Search for a destination by scrolling the map and simply tapping the display.
- Address: Enter Country, State, City, and Street. Or, simply enter a zip-code.
- Home: Save your home's address into the unit's navigation memory.
- POIs: Search for points-of-interest (POIs) near your current location, in a specific city, or from the entire 6,000,000 POI database.
- Favorites: Store your favorite locations for easy recall
- Recent Location: Destinations that you have set previously.
- Itineraries: Create a destination and a list of waypoints.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Route Options: You may select among the following route options, which will influence the navigation system's routing calculations.
- Fastest: Calculates the fastest route, regardless of the distance. It is highly recommended that you select this option; the planned route will be not only the fastest, but also more economic and pleasant, since better and faster roads such as highways are given priority.
- Shortest: Calculates the shortest route, regardless of the quality of the road. Note that this route may take more time and some of the roads may be narrow or steep.
- Tolls: Select "avoid" if you don't want to use toll roads on your route or "yes" to allow NDrive to use tolls on route calculation. Please note that even if you've selected the option "avoid", NDrive will consider toll roads, if that is the only option.
- Adventure Mode: Allows you to navigate to a location or coordinates off the beaten track; select this mode for outdoor use or traveling by sea or air. In this mode, the distance to your destination is calculated in direct aerial line and a compass will be displayed to guide you towards your destination.
Auto Reroute + Detour: If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route.
Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Disc Compatibility: The Boss BV9980NV features a single disc player that will playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW discs.
- Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 15 seconds or more.
- Parental Protection: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
Front-Panel MicroSD-Card Slot: The Boss navigation receiver features a front-panel microSD-card slot located behind the detachable front-panel. The front-panel needs to be removed each time you insert or eject and micorSD card. The BV9980NV supports playback of music, video, and picture files loaded onto a microSD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
Dual USB Ports: The BV9980NV is equipped with a front-panel miniUSB (type-B) port that comes with a 20" miniUSB-to-USB cable and a rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the reach chassis by a 30" cable. Either USB port can be used to connect a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio players, or thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of music, video, and picture files loaded onto a compatible USB msc device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Only one USB port should be connected to a device at a time. The unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
File Compatibility: The Boss head unit supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW)||Flash (USB or microSD/SDHC)|
|File System||ISO9660, Joliet||FAT 32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA (32-320 kbps; 32-48kHz)|
|Video||MPEG, MP4, AVI, Xvid|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/512 files||99 folders/999 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA-tags,|
Built-in Bluetooth: The Boss BV9980NV navigation receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, providing hands-free communication and audio streaming for added convenience and safety in the vehicle.
- Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Boss BV9980NV allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. The head unit will display the caller's phone number and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer or end a call through the head unit's front-panel controls. The BV9980NV allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the head unit's integrated microphone and your car audio speakers. Your music will mute automatically during a call. You can make a call by using the head unit's touchscreen numeric keypad, phonebook transfer, or call history (missed/received/dial).
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Boss BV9980NV also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled phone, PDA, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause) from the BV9980NV. Advance music navigation and song/artist information will still need to be handled through the Bluetooth mobile device. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the BV9980NV. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Boss BV9980NV.
85W (Peak) x 4Ch Amp: The Boss BV9980NV navigation receiver employs a 85W (peak) x 4ch amplifier.
5ch/2V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The BV9980NV features front, rear and subwoofer 2.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The mono-subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Crossover (80/120/160Hz) and level adjustment (0-39) for subwoofer preamp output.
EQ + Tone Control: You can choose between 3 preset modes (Pop, Rock, Metal) or EQ Off. You can also adjust the head unit's Bass & Treble manually.
Loudness: When listening to music at low volumes, this feature will selectively boost certain bass and treble frequencies.
DRC: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of Auto or On.
Volume Adjust: You can increase the relative volume (0-12) of the unit's source inputs to match the external source's output level.
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Boss BV9980NV features a built-in AM/FM tuner. The BV9980NV features 3 FM banks and 2 AM bank for storing presets (automatically or manually). You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (total of 30). Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Dual AV Inputs: The Boss BV9980NV is fitted with a front-panel 3.5mm input for connection of a portable audio device, such as your Apple iPod/iPhone. The BV9980NV also features a rear-panel A/V input that consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external AV device, like your Blu-ray player or game system.
Video Out: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output will display whatever video signal that is being displayed on the head unit's integrated 7" LCD touchscreen.
Rearview Camera Input: The BV9980NV features a composite video input and a orange reverse wire lead for connection of a rear view camera (sold separately). This enables better visibility when backing up. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the integrated 7" LCD screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
Extended Warranty: Units purchased from Crutchfield after 3/1/2015 carry an extended warranty relative to purchases from Boss' standard dealer network. The new warranty is 3 years parts and labor.
12 questions already asked