About the Boss BVCP9685A
It's time for Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
It's time for Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
When it comes to convenience, Apple CarPlay provides pretty much everything I need from a car stereo. I use my iPhone for everything, so a receiver that puts smartphone integration first is a must-have. Boss builds both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into their competitively priced BVCP9685A digital multimedia receiver, so iPhone and Android users benefit from a big touchscreen and voice control of their favorite smartphone features. If you use Siri or Google Assistant regularly, you'll find that this hands-free control translates perfectly to the car. And for passengers, built-in Bluetooth® makes wireless music streaming and hands-free calls easy.
CarPlay integrates your iPhone into the driving experience in a seamless interface, allowing you to access iPhone content with the sound of your voice. That means easy access to your music library, audiobooks, phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
If you're an Android user, this receiver is ready for your phone, too. Android Auto integrates your Android device into the driving experience without distracting you from the job at hand — driving . You'll have easy voice access to Google Maps, weather, music, and apps, not to mention your text messages. And you can make calls, too, of course. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
And Bluetooth, of course
Bluetooth enables wireless streaming for stored music, Internet radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks. This receiver also lets you take and make calls while keeping your hands on the wheel — an awesome safety feature when you're making your daily commute.
Tools to build a sweet system
You can use the sensitive 6.75" touchscreen display for system control, media info, and as a monitor for a connected backup camera (not included) — great for backing into those tight parking spots. The BVCP9685A's two rear USB ports let you connect a smartphone as well as access your digital music library loaded onto a flash drive. This Boss also offers a 10-band equalizer and six preamp outputs for amplifiers powering your speakers and subs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 6.75" touchscreen with icon-based controls
- variable color illumination
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- works with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays USB memory devices
- 10-band equalizer
- inputs: two rear USB ports; rear auxiliary input; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front/rear/subwoofer)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BVCP9685A
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (15A fuse)
- Trim-ring (pre-installed)
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 9.5' cable terminated by a stereo 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Side-brackets
- 8 ISO-screws
- User's Manual
- Warranty Card
- Product Registration Card
- "Thank You" note
- "Like us on Facebook!" note
Boss BVCP9685A reviews
I was looking for an upgrade to the stock Dodge Ram 1500 radio especially a unit that could do Apple Car Play and with backup camera capability. This head unit was the perfect fit. Works awesome and Crutchfield was a great help on the install since there were a few undocumented wires on the install instructions. The backup camera switches quickly and Apple Car Play with mic pics up well for phone calls and Siri. Really love this and recommend it for anyone looking to make a cost-effective upgrade.
Pros: - Apple Car Play - Inexpensive - Great settings and control - Antenna and radio work well
Cons: - Manual/wiring instructions could be better
1 of 1 found this helpful
This product is great. Exactly what I needed to upgrade my 2008 Jeep setup. Even was able with a few additional parts to get steering wheel control and backup camera device working properly.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Took me some time to install but turned out to be totally worth it!! Very smooth screen and support Apple Carplay
0 of 0 found this helpful
Installed this in my 2007 Prius standard stereo system and for the price it is as good as it gets. Carplay is awesome. Used the PAC RP4.2-TY 11 interface for Toyota and it is worth every penny. Technical support from Crutchfield is also spot on. Thank you!
Pros: Easy to use
2 of 2 found this helpful
Great product for a good price. CarPlay is smooth and fast. Very little glare on daylight.
Pros: Easy to use. Almost no glare in sun light.
Cons: An option to have a separate remote control would be awesome.
1 of 1 found this helpful
work good, thank you
0 of 0 found this helpful
I was excited to buy this Boss even though it's not a we'll know name brand to me. It has bigger screen than its nearest competitor with a more famous name. I had also bought a back up camera to attach to it. First gripe, why is the usb cord so short??? It can hardly reach the glovebox let alone try to come out from under the console. I had to attach an usb extension. Also After 1 week while playing music on Bluetooth I received a phone call but the screen displayed the wrong name of the caller (Sam jones instead of Sam Smith) and after that it did not recognize my phone and disconnected, I had to reset the Bluetooth by deleting my phone and erase the profile. If it happened again i will return for another unit since I don't want to pay for another new install.
Pros: Larger screen
Cons: Bluetooth disconnect
2 of 2 found this helpful
I just installed this unit on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, and my initial impressions are very positive. The unit starts quickly, and the screen is very responsive, without any noticeable lag. Sound quality seems pretty good, but I will update this review if that should change. The unit also connects very quickly using Apple CarPlay, but I haven't tried Android Auto yet. Google maps shows up very clearly and is easy to use when connected to my phone, and Pandora works and displays flawlessly as well. I haven't used many other apps yet, but I expect they'll function normally. As for drawbacks, I'd like it if Boss updated the unit to incorporate a more easily navigable favorites list of FM stations, something that just displays at the bottom of the screen maybe, once you're listening to FM. Clicking the circle and selecting from the scroll menu to find your station seems a bit tedious and a bit more dangerous than just hitting "1" or something. I also detected a slight raspy static-like buzzing on a couple of my stations that I didn't detect with my stock head unit, but this might be because I've only used the unit in my garage thus far. Overall, this unit is great considering it's price. I'd love for it to have a CD/DVD slot, and a physical volume knob, and for me that would make the unit perfect. However, expecting those features at this price point is probably asking too much.
Pros: Price Point Crisp, responsive display CarPlay and Android Auto
Cons: Needs a better "favorites" list for FM
7 of 7 found this helpful
More details on the Boss BVCP9685A
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||80 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||1kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google,Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,FLAC,WAV|
Android Auto: The Boss BVCP9685A receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Boss receiver's USB port via the included USB extension cable and the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen user interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Boss receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Boss receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Boss receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- Make sure you plug in your Android smartphone to the BVCP9685A's rear-panel USB port labeled "Apple CarPlay/Android Auto" with a USB-IF certified cable (not compatible with the USB port labeled "USB/Charging"). Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone. You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your USB-connected iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.+) with Lightning-connector in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Boss BVCP9685A. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Boss BVCP9685A in-dash receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the BVCP9685A receiver's 6.75" touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the BVCP9685A's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level the microphone. You can also select which car speaker outputs the caller audio; you can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Boss receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus iTunes radio from the Boss BVCP9685A. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the BVCP9685A's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The BVCP9685A's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Boss receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, podcasts, sports, news, and audiobooks - including Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible (subscriptions and fees may app). Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Boss receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
Notes:Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running iOS 7.1 or newer.
- Make sure your plug in your iPhone 5 or newer to the BVCP9685A's rear-panel USB port labeled "Apple CarPlay/Android Auto" with an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB cable (not compatible with the USB port labeled "USB/Charging"). Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
Smartphone Charging: The Boss BVCP9685A will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 2.1+EDR: The Boss BVCP9685A is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Boss receiver.
Simple Secure Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Boss BVCP9685A without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication (External Mic): The Boss BVCP9685A allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. The receiver will display the caller's phone number and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer or end a call through the head unit's front-panel controls (or set the receiver to automatically answer the call). The BVCP9685A allows you to carry on the phone conversation using the included external microphone and your car audio speakers. Your music will mute automatically during a call. You can make a call using the Boss receiver's LCD touchscreen via its on-screen keypad, your phone's transferred phonebook, or a list of your most recent calls.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Boss BVCP9685A allows wireless play back of stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or other device using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the Boss head unit (advanced music browsing will still be done from your Bluetooth source device). The unit will also display song/artist information (not Album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB MSC Playback: The BVCP9685A is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis via a hardwired 3' pigtail (labeled "USB 2"). The USB port allows for connection of a USB mass storage class device; such as a USB thumbdrive (up to 64GB) formatted in FAT32. The unit supports playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files loaded onto a compatible USB msc device. You can search by folder or file, control playback functions (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), well as view song/artist information - including album art. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB MSC (FAT 32)|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC|
|Video||AVI, MKV, WMV|
|Photo||JPEG, PNG, BMP|
Note: This USB port (labeled "USB/Charging" is not compatible with Apple iOS devices, Android devices, USB hubs, or card-readers.
Camera Input w/ Guidelines: The BVCP9685A features a composite video input for connection of a rear view camera (sold separately). This enables better visibility when backing up. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the integrated 6.75" touchscreen monitor when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to the reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching can be set to 0.1, 0.5, 1, or 2 seconds. The unit will also display on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
20W x 4Ch Amp: The Boss BVCP9685A receiver is equipped with a 20 watt (RMS) x 4 channel amplifier.
6Ch/4V Pre-outs: The Boss BVCP9685A features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer pre-outs output are non-fading.
Note: The receiver's internal amplifier can be turned off to reduce noise when only using the head unit's pre-outs.
Sub Control w/ Low Pass Crossover: The head unit's subwoofer pre-out utilizes its own low pass crossover which can be set to 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or 160Hz. You can adjust the subwoofer output's level (-14 to +1) independently from the overall volume.
EQ: The receiver offers 6 EQ presets - User, HipHop, Pop, R&B, Rock, and Jazz. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 10-band EQ (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k,2k, 4k, 8k 16k Hz) from -6dB to +6dB.
Loudness: The Loudness feature enhances high & low frequencies at lower volume levels.
Source Level: You can independently adjust the source level (0-32) of the Radio, USB, Bluetooth, AV In, Android Auto, and CarPlay for smoother volume level transition between sources.
Default Volume: You can set the turn-on and default volume of the head unit's Main Source, Bluetooth Phone (Talk/Ring), Navigation Voice Prompts, and Voice Control Assistants (Siri/Google) from 0 to 50.
AM/FM Tuner: The Boss BVCP9685A features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 10 FM and 10 AM station presets. You can store your presets manually or have the receiver do it for you automatically.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- US/Euro Tuning: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Beep Tone: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
6.75" Capacitive Touchscreen: The Boss BVCP9685A receiver features a fixed 6.75" capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text; as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation. Touchscreen operations include touch, swipe, and drag.
- Wallpaper & Background: You can select between 3 pre-loaded wallpaper backgrounds. You cannot download a custom image.
- Dimmer & Brightness Settings: You can manually adjust the LCD touchscreen monitor's brightness for day and nighttime viewing. You can also setup the unit to have the display dim when you turn your vehicle's lights on (the orange wire of the wiring harness must be connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit).
- Date & Time Display: The receiver offers date (Month/Date/Year) and time (12 or 24 hour) display.
Touch-Sensitive Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to its 6.75 capacitive touchscreen, there are five touch-sensitive buttons along the left edge of the screen. You can select the illumination color of the buttons. Choose from six preset colors (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, or White); create a custom color, or have the unit cycle through all six preset colors.
Parking Brake Interlock: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in touchscreen monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the light green wire (within harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as the CarPlay and Android Auto.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
7 questions already asked