About the JVC KD-HDR52
JVC's KD-HDR52 CD receiver features a built-in HD Radio tuner, making it a popular choice for radio addicts everywhere. Beyond providing much-improved sound quality over traditional AM and FM stations, participating stations also provide extra programming options so you have more entertainment choices. And when you hear a song you like on an HD Radio station, this receiver lets you tag it so you can buy it later at the iTunes store.
Make it sound the way you like
Like to tweak your sound? You've got plenty of ways to do that. The Pro EQ 3-band parametric equalizer gives you much more flexibility than traditional bass, midrange, and treble controls. And the JVC's powerful built-in amplifier and superior digital-to-analog converter treat you to excellent sonic performance, whether you're jamming to your favorite CD or a thumb drive full of music. The included wireless remote allows you or your passengers to control playback from anywhere in the car.
Play your iPod®, iPhone®, and other sources
You can connect any iPhone or iPod directly to this receiver's front-panel USB input, using the cable that came with your device. You'll control the player from the stereo, so you won't need to fumble around with the iPod itself. Download a free app, and you can also plug an Android phone into the USB port and manage your playlist with the JVC's controls.
Load up a disc or a USB thumb drive with your MP3 and WMA files for hours of tunes for your next road trip. A handy front-panel auxiliary input lets you add even more sources, like a Dock & Play satellite radio or an MP3 player.
Two sets of preamp outputs come in handy when you're adding amps and subs. You can switch the rear outputs over to a subwoofer setting that lets you adjust the crossover point and overall level of your subwoofer system. You can also add Bluetooth® functionality with JVC's optional adapter for safer hands-free calls and wireless music streaming with compatible phones.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- iTunes Tagging: tag songs on HD Radio stations for future download from iTunes
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files)
- detachable face
- remote control
- Pro EQ 3-band parametric equalizer and 7 presets
- 24-bit D/A converter
- compatible with JVC's Bluetooth adapter
- inputs: front-panel USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front rear/sub)
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (with 10-amp ATC fuse inserted into chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty Sheet
- Canadian Warranty Card
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
- Face Fixing screw note
JVC KD-HDR52 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KD-HDR52
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
Front-Panel USB Port: The JVC KD-HDR52 features a front-panel USB 2.0 type-A port (behind a sliding cover) connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback and control of MP3, WMA, & WAV audio files stored on portable USB mass-storage class devices. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
MP3/WMA Playback: The JVC KD-HDR52 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, or Windows long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| |
MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1,
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/65,025 files (255 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA folders and tracks on a loaded CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music. The Track/Folder List will also display the list of track titles on a CD Text disc.
Quick Search: You can search for your MP3 or WMA music tracks alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9).
Random/Repeat Modes: The JVC KD-HDR52 offers the following Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
JVC Playlist Creator Compatible: JVC Playlist Creator is a free Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB (MSC) device from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB (MSC) device using JVC Playlist Creator through the KD-HDR52, you can search a file by song title, album name, artist name, or genre using the head unit's Quick Search function. The JVC Playlist Creator is a Windows-based software that can be downloaded for free from JVC's website to your PC. The JVC Playlist Creator is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Zune, or Android
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The JVC KD-HDR52's front-panel USB port can acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. An additional iPod cable is available (469USBPOD, sold separately) so you can leave one at home and one in the car. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the JVC in-dash head unit.
- DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Control: You can choose to operate your
iPod/iPhone through the JVC head unit's front-panel controls, from its
clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of the Playlist or Category are listed alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9). The KD-HDR52 also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone. Your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen is locked in this mode.
- iPod: You can choose to navigate your iPod or iPhone's stored music from its clickwheel or touchscreen, like you are accustomed to during normal usage. The head unit's front-panel iPod controls will remain available.
- External (App Mode): External Mode lets you enjoy audio content from your downloaded music Apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your Apple iPhone, through the JVC KD-HDR52. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate and view your apps; the head unit will only display the clock and "EXT Mode". The head unit's front-panel iPod controls will be locked. Access to your iPhone's downloaded application will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
- iPod Display: The KD-HDR52 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, when in Head Unit and iPod mode (not in External mode), or listening to Pandora Internet Radio. The head unit can display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
- iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The JVC KD-HDR52 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/8/2013):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||App mode||Pandora app||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
JVC Music Control (for Android): By connecting the JVC CD receiver via USB to an Android smartphone (OS 2.2+) that has the free JVC Music Control app installed, it allows you to list and search all of the songs stored inside the smartphone from the receiver by artist name or album name. The JVC Smart Music Control app also analyzes all of your songs that are in your Android smartphone, and creates a playlist according to your mood. Once the application has completed the analysis of the songs, simply move the on-screen "mood ball" to your current mood, and this application will generate a list of songs that most fits your mood. Your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output (great for those non-Apple/Android devices. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The unit's front-panel auxiliary input can be turned On or Off.
Built-in HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio technology significantly improves audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality sound with static free and clear reception. In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the KD-HDR52 can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Digital/Analog Tuning: You can setup the KD-HDR52 to search both analog and digital radio stations, only HD Radio stations, or analog radio stations only. You can store up to 18 FM and 6 AM digital/analog presets stations as presets (HD Radio multicast channels can also be preset). Presets can be set manually or automatically, using Strong-station Sequential Memory (SSM). If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation. You can also switch the analog tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. In addition, you can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting, it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Text Display: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the display of the JVC KD-HDR52.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
- Radio Timer: You can tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source. You can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The JVC KD-HDR52 provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's front-panel USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The JVC KD-HDR52 will display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone. The JVC KD-HDR52 will also provide control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KD-HDR52 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KD-HDR52 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the KD-HDR52 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the KD-HDR52 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KD-HDR52 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: The KD-HDR52 is equipped with two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Pro EQ: The KD-HDR52 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, & User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store Pro EQ bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, AM/FM, Aux, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora).
Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. You can set this feature to High, Low, or Off.
Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-HDR52 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face-case is provided. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
LCD: The head unit features a 14-segment, one-line LCD with adjustable brightness and dimmer settings.
Brightness: The unit offers an adjustable display and button illumination brightness level (0-31) for day and nighttime driving.
Display/Button Illumination Dimmer: The display/button illumination dimmer can be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display/button illumination is always dimmed), or Auto (display dims when 12-volts is applied to the orange/white illumination lead).
Wireless Remote Control: The KD-HDR52 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
Optional Bluetooth: The JVC KS-BTA100 Bluetooth Adapter (105KSTBA10, sold separately) provides Bluetooth hands-free communication and digital audio streaming functions for the JVC KD-HDR52. The JVC KS-BTA100 gives you hands-free communication from your compatible Bluetooth mobile phone and wireless streaming audio from a Bluetooth enabled digital audio player, when connected to the JVC in-dash head unit. The JVC Bluetooth Adapter includes a super-sensitive microphone, an Answer/End button, and playback controls. The JVC KD-HDR52 can be set to automatically mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can listen to your telephone call using your car speakers.
Note: Not all Bluetooth devices will be compatible. Visit the JVC Mobile Entertainment Bluetooth Support Page for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
3 questions already asked