About the JVC KD-X230
A compact digital dynamo
A compact digital dynamo
If you carry all your music on your phone or other portable, JVC's KD-X230 digital media receiver offers plenty of connections for all your devices, along with an impressive array of features for its price range. Since the receiver does not house a CD player, its "short body" design means it can fit into a wide variety of cars and trucks, not to mention vehicles like certain golf carts and ATVs.
Wireless remote included
Ready for iPod® or iPhone®
Once you plug your iPod or iPhone into the front USB port, you'll enjoy complete control over your music, not to mention faster charging. If you're a Pandora® or iHeartRadio user, you can connect your iPhone and access basic functions like "play," "pause," "thumbs-up," and "thumbs-down" with the receiver's controls.
Works with Android, too
When you download the free JVC Music Play app, you can use the receiver's controls to access playlists on your Android phone, plus use your phone as a remote control to run the receiver.
Do more with your USB connection
The powerful USB 1A port lets you keep a smartphone charged while it's performing many battery-draining tasks at once. With your smartphone connected, you can use Drive Change Mode to listen to the internal memory as one source and access its little microSD card as another. You can also make a mix at home, save it to a thumb drive, and plug it into the USB port.
The KD-X230 plays MP3 and WMA files, which will sound great running through the Digital Track Expander, a JVC technology that reproduces frequencies normally lost when music is compressed. Into higher fidelity? This receiver will also play your WAV and FLAC files.
The start of a whole new system
If you're planning to expand your car audio system in the future, the KD-X230 is a terrific place to start. It includes rear 2.5-volt preamp outputs that you can switch over to subwoofer mode. A front aux input lets you hook up other gear, like a Dock & Play satellite radio.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Note: This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with single-line display
- USB 1A connection charges devices quicker
- plays MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC files through USB
- separated brightness control for LCD and button illumination
- auto dimmer
- remote control
- built-in iPod control; 2-way iPod/iPhone control
- Android Open Accessory (AOA) 2.0 enables control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- Android control via USB and free JVC Music Play app
- control PANDORA® and iHeart Radio from your iPhone
- Digital Track Expander restores sound lost in digital conversion
- Pro EQ with 12 presets and 3-band parametric equalizer
- subwoofer direct connection
- loudness control
- low-pass filters
- inputs: front USB 1A port, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt rear/sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- menus can be displayed in English and Spanish
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KD-X230
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
- Face-fixing screw note
JVC KD-X230 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KD-X230
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0) Connectivity: The JVC KD-X230's front-panel USB port lets you connect your AOA 2.0 compatible Android smartphone for music playback. JVC does not guarantee operation with all Android devices. Click here for the most current list of compatible Android smartphones. There are two Android AOA 2.0 modes to choose from based on what content you want to listen to and how you want to control it.
- Hand Mode: The JVC KD-X230 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone to the KD-X230's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the JVC head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Audio Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- JVC Music Play App: Downloading the JVC Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the JVC digital media receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the JVC Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
iPhone Direct Connection: The JVC KD-X230s front-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The KD-X230 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use JVC's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (105KSU62, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KD-X230.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can will need to use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device or a "Made For iPod/iPhone" 30-pin-to-USB cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KD-X230.
iPhone Audio Playback: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 23-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of stored music, music apps, and podcasts on your iPod or iPhone. The KD-X230 provides music control and song/artist information display. You can choose between two operating modes.
- Head Unit Mode + Song/Artist Info: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically. The KD-X230 also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of stored music on your iPod/iPhone. In addition, you'll be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from stored music and select music apps streamed to your iPhone. During Head Unit Mode, the KD-X230 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album title. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen in this mode in order to access other applications; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- iPod/iPhone Mode: The iPod/iPhone Mode lets you control your older iPod/iPhone (iOS 5.1.1 and earlier) from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You'll still have access to basic playback controls (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the head unit, but advanced navigation functions will be locked. No song/artist information is displayed in this mode. The unit will simply display "App & iPod Mode".
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The JVC KD-X230 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/7/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||iHeart Radio||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone): The JVC KD-X230 allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected iPhone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KD-X230 via the the cable supplied with your iPhone or other 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the JVC KD-X230 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) The KD-X230 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can save up to five Pandora stations as presets. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- iHeartRadio Link: The free iHeartRadio Link app for JVC from lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the JVC KD-X230 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KD-X230 will provide control over the iHeartRadio Link app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to the Pandora and iHeartRadio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KD-X230 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Radio Timer: The head unit's Radio Timer features lets you tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source (you can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off).
USB Mass Storage Devices: The JVC KD-X230 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of USB mass storage class (MSC) devices; like USB thumbdrives and USB card readers, as well as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or Blackberry. You can insert a compatible USB MSC device into the head unit's USB port for playback, control, and song/artist display of a variety of music files.
- Music Drive: The Music Drive feature lets you switch between multiple memory cards in a USB multi-card reader. When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone (like Android with Froyo/Gingerbread OS or Blackberry) is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Music Drive features lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with USB hubs.
Compatible Music Files: The JVC KD-X230 supports the following types of music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class Device)|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||500 folders/15,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The JVC KD-X230 offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music.
- Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of music folders and tracks on an inserted USB device, so you can easily access your music.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks at random), Off (cancels random function)
- Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the USB device). Next time you select USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KD-X230 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality from your USB connectted thumbdrive/flashdrive, Android AOA 2.0 compatible smartphone/tablet, or Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC KD-X230 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KD-X230 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amp Gain: When you are using the KD-X230 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 25 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 35.
Pro EQ: The KD-X230 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 12 preset sound modes (Flat, Hard Rock, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Talk, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Classical, Dance, User 1, and User 2) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store EQ Pro bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Tuner, Aux, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: The KD-X230 is equipped with two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can also adjust the subwoofer phase between 180° (reverse) or 0° (normal). In addition, you can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Audio Enhancements: The JVC KD-X230 offers the following audio adjustments to enhance your music listening experience.
- Digital Track Expander: The digital Track Expander automatically enhances compressed music files and restores the original richness of the recording.
- Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level.
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -15 to +6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-X230 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Single-Line LCD: The head unit features a 14-segment, one-line LCD with white back-lit text and red button illumination. Adjustable brightness and dimmer settings are available for the LCD and button illumination.
- Brightness: The unit offers a daytime and nighttime brightness settings for the LCD and button illumination. You can adjust the brightness level of each manually from 0-31.
- Dimmer: The unit's dimmer control can be set automatically or manually; select "Off" for daytime brightness setting, "On" for nighttime brightness setting, or "Auto" which switches between day and nighttime brightness setting automatically when you turn off/on the headlights (orange/white wire of harness must be connected to headlamp circuit). You can also set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" setting to be activated.
Day & Time: The unit displays a 12-or 24-hour clock, as well as the day (Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Remote Control: The JVC KD-X230 comes with an IR remote control and offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The KD-X230 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Power, Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The JVC KD-X230 replaces these items
11 questions already asked