About the JVC KW-M150BT
Feature-packed short chassis
Feature-packed short chassis
A 6.75" capacitive touchscreen display, smartphone integration, and a nice price makes JVC's KW-M150BT multimedia receiver a big step up from a factory radio. Count on hands-free calling, music streaming, and playback of music and video files stored on a USB flash drive as well. For Android™ users, the big fun of this receiver is controlling your compatible Android device via screen-mirroring when the parking brake is engaged. And with an incredibly shallow chassis (3" deep), the KW-M150BT beats installation woes by being a better fit in challenging dashboards.
Mirror, mirror in your dash
With the parking brake engaged and the mirroring app installed on your Android device, you'll see a mirror image of your smartphone's screen on the JVC's display. Opening and controlling apps works the same way it does on your phone.
Bluetooth calling and streaming
Built-in Bluetooth® lets you wirelessly pair your phone with the KW-M150BT for hands-free calling and music-streaming from your favorite music service.
Add an optional backup cam
JVC provides a dedicated input for adding a backup cam. And if you have high-def video files loaded onto a flash drive, this JVC will play them in bright, clear detail when you're parked.
Make the most of JVC's 13-band equalizer, deep crossover settings, and built-in digital time alignment. You'll have solid tools to highlight the depth and detail for all your digital music sources. The KW-M150BT also includes 2-volt RCA preamp outputs that provide a clean signal when it's time to add amplifiers to your system.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital multimedia player with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- plays media loaded with MP3, WMA, FLAC, and AAC music files
- 6.75" capacitive touchscreen display
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Android screen-mirroring via USB
- built-in Bluetooth with dual phone connection for hands-free calling and music streaming
- built-in iPhone control and rapid Android charging via USB port
- plays USB memory devices
- 13-band graphic EQ with digital time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- inputs: rear USB input; rear aux input; backup camera input; rear A/V input (RCA)
- outputs: rear video output; 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, mono sub)
- built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KW-M150BT
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ fixed 6.8" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- 6.5' Light-green parking brake wire (pre-installed)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Trim-ring removal tool
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
JVC KW-M150BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KW-M150BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N/A|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N/A|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||16.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC/WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz)|
Android Smartphone Mirroring: Using the Mirroring OB for JVC app, you can mirror the content from your Android (OS 7.0+) smartphone onto the touchscreen monitor of the JVC KW-M150BT; you'll be able to enjoy video and audio playback. Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the KW-M150BT via USB and Bluetooth. The JVC receiver's light green wire (attached to rear chassis) must also be attached to your vehicle parking brake circuit and your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged in order to mirror content from your Android smartphone to the KW-M150BT. In addition to mirroring content from your Android smartphone, you'll also be able to control your Android device from the in-dash receiver's touchscreen (some content may not support touchscreen control from the receiver). Mirrored content may or may not display in a portrait or landscape orientation.
Note: The unit does not support audio playback from Android devices using MTP (Media Transport Protocol) or AOA (Android Open Accessory. The JVC KW-M150BT does not support Apple iOS device mirroring.
iPhone Music Playback: You can connect a newer Apple iPhone w/ Lightning connector to the KW-M150BT for music playback & control using the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device or other "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately). Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's rear-panel USB port. The JVC receiver supports playback of stored music and music apps, along music browsing and playback control, plus song/artist information and album art.
- Head Unit Control: The JVC head unit allows you to navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by category (Playlist/Artist/Song/Album/Genre) from its touchscreen controls. The head unit also supports basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. You'll still be able to control your connected iPhone from its own touchscreen so you can access other music applications.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The KW-M150BT will display your iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. The unit will also display song/artist info and album art from select music apps.
Note: The KW-M150BT does not support direct USB connection of a Android OS device.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The JVC KW-M150BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 8/12/2019) -
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
- Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available
Smartphone Charging: The JVC KW-M150BT will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android or Apple iOS device while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 4.2: The JVC KW-M150BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.2 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JVC KW-M150BT. Check here for the latest Bluetooth compatibility information.
Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the JVC KW-M150BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can pair multiple Bluetooth-enabled devices to the JVC head unit, but only one can be active at a time. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. Thanks to the Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the JVC KW-M150BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the KW-M150BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (within 5 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: From the receiver's touchscreen keypad you can directly dial a phone number. You can also download phonebook data from your phone to the KW-M150BT and dial out by simply selecting a contact on the receiver's touchscreen. In addition, there is call history log which consists of a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial from the receiver's touchscreen. If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command; simply press the "voice control" icon on the head unit's touchscreen and speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The JVC KW-M150BT supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or other Bluetooth-enabled audio source. You'll be able to wirelessly stream your stored music library, music apps and other content on your Bluetooth source device to the JVC KW-M150BT.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the KW-M150BT lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). Advanced music playback functions can vary by phone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album label (no album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB MSC Playback: The JVC KW-M150BT features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis by a 39" cable. This USB port can be used for connection and control of a USB mass-storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback of a variety of audio and video files stored on a compatible USB memory device (see chart below). USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a USB device.
- Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The JVC KW-M150BT will display song/artist information (as well as album art) for MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music tracks.
Note: The USB port does not support USB hubs or card-readers.
File Compatibility: The JVC KW-M150BT supports the following types of audio and video files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB (MSC)|
|File System||FAT 16, FAT32, or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA/AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC/OGG: bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-192kHz
|Video||MPEG-1/2/4, MKV, H.264 (up to 1920 x 1080)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||Unlimited folders/9,999 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC-tags, & Album Art|
High Resolution Audio Playback: The JVC digital media receiver supports playback of high-resolution FLAC & WAV music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) via USB. High-Resolution Audio is high-quality sound that exceeds CD standard. High-resolution audio captures and beautifully expresses all the details of your favorite music.
AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KW-M150BT offers manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets for a total of 30 station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can activate Local Seek to only tunein radio stations with sufficient signal strength.
- RDS (Radio Data System): RDS (Radio Data System) is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Apple Music Radio (iPhone Only): You can playback Apple Music Radio on your Bluetooth connected Apple iOS 9.3.5+ device through the JVC KW-M150BT. With a cellular connection on your iPhone, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations through the JVC receiver. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. The touchscreen will also display song/artist/album information (no album art)
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from JVC's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to JVC's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC KW-M150BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KW-M150BT are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 45 watts x 4 channels (180 watts total)
5ch/2V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The KW-M150BT features front, rear and mono-subwoofer 2V pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable, while mono-subwoofer pre-out is non-fading.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The receiver offers independent high pass filters for the front speakers and rear speakers, as well as a low pass crossover for the unit's mono-subwoofer output.
- Front & Rear: independently set a high pass filter (HPF) for your front & rear speakers
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Off (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: set low pass filter (LPF) for unit sub out
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Off (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
DTA (Digital Time Alignment): For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You'll also be able to adjust the output level (-8 to 0dB) of each speaker.
Equalizer: The JVC KW-M150BT offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, plus a 13-band EQ for customized tuning. The EQ settings are applied to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Pops, Easy, Top40, Jazz, Powerful, Rock, or User 1-3) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User modes (1-3) allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB.
Bass Boost & Loudness: The JVC KW-M150BT features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. The Loudness function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
AV Input: The JVC KW-M150BT is outfitted with a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connection of an external audio/video device such as a DVD player, game console or TV tuner.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output can display the AV-input or USB video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not. Android mirrored content is not supported by the receiver's video output.
Rear Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen monitor to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Rear-View Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
6.75" Capacitive Touchscreen: The JVC KW-M150BT features a fixed 6.75" widescreen (16:9) capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text; as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation. Touchscreen operations include tap, touch & hold, flick left or right, and swipe up or down.
- Dimmer: You can manually adjust the brightness level of LCD touchscreen monitor. It can be set to High, mid, or Low.
- Clock & Date: The digital media receiver offers a 12-hour clock & day/month/year display. The clock is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or run position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Menu button turns the unit off completely.
- Languages: You can choose between English, French, or Spanish text for the receiver's on-screen menu display.
Touch-Sensitive, Push Button Controls: In addition to the capacitive touchscreen monitor, the JVC KW-M150BT offers five touch-sensitive buttons along the left edge of the screen. The button illumination is a fixed blue color.
Parking Brake Interlock: To prevent the display of video and mirrored content while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video or mirrored content unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's touchscreen monitor will simply display a black screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions, menu options, and Android mirroring.
Steering Wheel Controls: The head unit features a factory steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Optional Remote Control: The JVC digital media receiver is compatible with JVC's wireless IR remote control (RM-RK258, sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked