About the JVC KW-NT500HDT
HD Radio™ and free lifetime traffic
HD Radio™ and free lifetime traffic
Maps and driving directions are great, but they assume you're the only driver on the road. JVC not only gives you turn-by-turn directions with the KW-NT500HDT navigation receiver, but also uses a traffic info receiver to give you an alert if there's trouble up ahead. That can mean the difference between being there on time, or being hours late. In addition, you'll get built-in Bluetooth®, HD Radio reception, and Pandora Internet radio control, along with the fastest GPS processor in town.
Traffic that really has you covered
The dedicated traffic tuner lets you dial in the free Total Traffic Plus network you'll enjoy access to real-time traffic info that'll help you steer clear of traffic jams. Other traffic info services only work in major metropolitan areas, but HD Total Traffic Plus works anywhere a station is broadcasting HD Radio traffic information — over 90 metro areas and counting.
And you can stay on top of traffic while you're outside HD Radio range, too. With the help of an iPhone® app, the KW-NT500HDT switches automatically to the Total Traffic Network over 3G when it senses you're out of range of an HD Radio signal.
iHeartRadio and Pandora® give you lots of tunes
Download the free iHeartRadio iPhone app and you'll get over 800 of America's favorite local radio stations, as well as channels hosted by major artists. Once you connect your iPhone, you can navigate iHeartRadio stations using the KW-NT500HDT's touchscreen. You'll see album art and song info, plus you can use iHeartRadio's search screen to find music. You can dial in your hometown stations while you're out of town, too. Pandora® Internet radio lovers, you can bring your favorite stations to your dash, too, with the help of a free smartphone app.
JVC has more than doubled the speed of last year's models (which were already fast), meaning when you tap the KW-NT500HDT's 6.1" touchscreen for directions, you'll have them before you leave the parking lot. Pass by a cool spot, but no time to stop? Your passenger can grab your iPhone and add points of interest to your in-dash navigation system.
You'll find some new navigation features that'll really be a big help. Junction View shows you a realistic depiction of an upcoming exit, complete with lane guides. The Picture In Picture view lets you see the big picture, plus a close-up detail. And 3D Landmarks help you get around a city with confidence. Map text and texture come in crisp, clean, and easy to read on the high-res 6.1" screen.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the KW-NT500HDT, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
- navigation receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" color touchscreen
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- dedicated traffic tuner
- compatible with iHeartRadio and Pandora iPhone apps
- iPod control: JVC's KS-U49 cable required for full access to all audio/video content and features
- plays CDs and DVDs (see "Details" tab for full capabilities)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 13-band iEQ and time alignment
- maps of Canada, Puerto Rico, and the entire United States
- built-in flash memory for navigation, updates made using an SD card
- add your own points-of-interest from Google Maps using your iPhone
- compatible with: satellite radio tuner, rear-view camera
- inputs: rear-panel A/V and USB inputs, SD-card slot, front aux in
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN navigation receiver with integrated 6.1" touchscreen monitor (15-amp fuse inserted in chasis)
- Sleeve (installed) Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- AV/preamp harness
- Magnetic GPS antenna (with attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Microphone with integrated bracketed (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-side tape
- 8 Pan head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 8 Flat head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 2 Red wire splice taps (18-22 gauge)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connection Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- US warranty information
- Canada warranty information
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- "Caution" note (taped to wiring harness)
JVC KW-NT500HDT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KW-NT500HDT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm (front)|
|Audio/video Input||Composite (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB/MicroSD memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
HD Radio + SiriusXM Ready
USB Port/SD-Card Slot
6.1" Touchscreen Display: The JVC KW-NT500HDT features a fixed 6.1" wide, 16:9 touchscreen LCD monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The touchscreen LCD serves as a video monitor, system information display and touchscreen control panel.
Ultras-Fast Start-Up Time: The JVC KW-NT500HDT has an ultra-fast start up time of approximately 9.4 seconds from Off to the Map screen or an audio/video source screen.
Hard-Key Controls w/ Variable Button Illumination: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen monitor, the KW-NT500HDT features a rotary-dial and push-button controls along the left edge of the screen. The hard-key controls provide Power, Source, Eject, Volume, Menu, Map, and AV functions. The JVC KW-NT500HDT allows you to adjust the unit's hard-key button illumination. It offers 7 color presets (Blue, Aqua, Green, Yellow, Pink, Red, and Purple) for the hard-key button illumination. Additionally, there is a user preset, allowing you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue from 0 to 31. There is also a "Scan" setting which scans through all of the 7 available preset colors continuously.
Split Screen View: The KW-NT500HDT's screen views can be easily toggled from one to another simply be touching the screen or appropriate button. The Split Screen View mode divides the screen into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function the head unit can now display the navigation and source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Off-Axis Viewing: Use the Off-Axis Viewing feature if the screen is hard to see due to the installation angle or position.
Quick Menu: The Quick Menu is user-changeable and can be assigned a set of frequently used features for quicker, easier access. Up to 6 Quick Menu short-cuts can be assigned. The Quick Menu can be accessed from the head unit's navigation Map screen.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the contrast, color, tint, and detail level during video playback.
Selectable Aspect Modes: You can choose from four aspect modes for the in-dash display:
- Regular: For 4:3 source material, 4:3 and 16:9 pictures display with black bars on either side (16:9 images are compressed).
- Full: Expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height.
- Auto: The correct aspect mode is automatically chosen based on the incoming signal.
Adjustable Dimmer: When 12 volts is applied to the illumination lead (orange/white) and the dimmer is set to Auto, the display will dim automatically when you turn on your vehicle's exterior or interior lights. The dimmer can also be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), or On (display is always dimmed). You can also manually adjust the display brightness for Day & Nighttime driving.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light-green parking brake wire (within 22-pin harness) must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view many of the other display and menu functions.
Note: When driving at a speed greater than 3 miles-per-hour, some menu screens are not available.
Security Lock: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been turned off.
2-DIN Chassis: The JVC KW-NT500HDT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Built-In Navigation (powered by NAVTEQ): The JVC KW-NT500HDT features a built-in GPS Navigation system with maps of the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, and Puerto Rico; powered by NAVTEQ Maps. All map data is stored on the unit's 8GB SSD (sold state drive). The unit's 3-sensor navigation system helps to pinpoint your vehicle's current location. Once a destination is set, the unit provides turn-by-turn voice & visual guidance through your vehicle's speakers and the unit's display monitor; using NAVTEQ navigation software.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates:Map updates via a micro SD/SDHC memory card can be purchased at the online NAVTEQ store.
3-Sensor Navigation: The JVC KW-NT500HDT is equipped with a high-sensitivity WAAS capable GPS receiver (SiRFstarIII), Speed Pulse wire, and Gyro sensor to calculate your vehicle's current location.
GPS Antenna: The KW-NT500HDT comes supplied with a GPS antenna that features a magnetic base and an attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to GPS-ANT input on the back of the head unit. The unit also comes supplied with a two-side self-adhesive pad if you are having trouble finding a flat metal surface to mount the antenna. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the vehicle (on the dash) or outside the vehicle (on the roof or trunk). The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.5625" (h) x 1.4375" (d).
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the KW-NT500HDT guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrows on the map, and on-screen directions. At the bottom of the screen is your current street, while the top of the screen shows your next street; the upper-left corner indicates the distance to your next maneuver. Your route is marked with a light-blue line, while your vehicle is marked by a red arrow (or car) on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. A magnified view of the map is displayed when approaching your next turn. When you reach an area approximately within 90' around the destination/via point, the navigation system considers you to have reached your destination/via point. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Maps: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Heading-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Map (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Map Views: You can zoom in and out of the map screen, as well as scroll the map screen left/right or up/down. You can also rotate a 3D map screen 360-degrees.
- Night Map Mode: Night Map Mode dims the map display when driving at night. You can turn this feature On/Off or set to Auto so the map display dims when you turn on your vehicle's headlights (the unit's illumination control lead connect is required for Auto mode).
Note: An AV Control Bar is displayed on the map screen, so you can still perform AV source operations even while navigating.
3D Landmarks: The KW-NT500HDT's navigation map features three-dimensional buildings to provide you with a better perspective of your surroundings. With 3D Landmarks, you can see representations of prominent buildings in many cities.
Voice Guidance (with Text-to Speech): When you approach a turn, the KW-NT500HDT guides you with voice guidance (Text-to-Speech) through your vehicle's front speakers and visual indications on the KW-NT500HDT's screen. The unit offers 3 voice guidance languages including English, Spanish and French; with adjustable volume (0-20).
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The KW-NT500HDT will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Lane Assist w/ Junction View: The Lane Assist function guides you to the appropriate lane you should be in for upcoming junctions and interchanges, while Junction View displays a realistic view of upcoming road details facilitating a safer navigation experience.
Destination Search: The JVC KW-NT500HDT offers the following Destination Search functions:
|Browse Map||Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.|
|Home||Register one point as your home address.|
|Address||Search by address using the unit's on-screen keyboard.|
|Favorites||Register 300 of your favorite points so you can easily navigate to them from anywhere at any time.|
|Previous||Search from the history of previous destinations and via points from the last 50 points.|
|8,000,000 POIs (from NAVTEQ)||Name||Search for points-of-interest by specific name using the on-screen keyboard.|
|Category||Search by the following POI categories - Gas Station, Parking, Restaurant, Coffee/Deserts, Finance, Shopping, Service, Entertainment, Recreation, Hotel/Accommodation, Travel, Medical, Community, or Automotive.|
|Vicinity||Search for POIs around the following places - your current position, your destination, or your via point(s).|
|Phone Number||Search a destination by entering its telephone number using the unit's on-screen keypad.|
|Coordinates||Search by entering the latitude and longitude.|
Note: Moving at a specific speed (3+ MPH) engages safety measures in the navigation system to encourage safe driving. Only instantly accessible points-of-interest and simple menu systems are accessible, unless the car is stopped. Otherwise, an address cannot be entered (the keyboard is disabled). The vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable these functions.
Total Traffic+ HD Network: The KW-NT500HDT also includes free lifetime subscription to Clear Channel's Total Traffic+ HD Network, which provides real-time on-screen traffic updates; as well as News, Sports, and Weather Information. Total Traffic+ HD Network delivers real-time traffic data for 100 metropolitan markets in the United States. Total Traffic+ HD Network provides incident, event, construction, congestion, and impact information during your travels. Using this real-time traffic data, the JVC KW-NT500HDT can automatically calculate a new route when approaching a traffic event; saving you time and fuel resources, and helping to alleviate roadway stress.
- Traffic List: The Total Traffic+ HD Network provides of a list of traffic incidents in your local area so you can choose a preferred route around these areas - even before you start navigating. While navigation is active, you can even view all traffic incidents ahead on your desired route.
- Traffic Warnings: The KW-NT500HDT provides incident warnings for traffic congestion, road construction, and weather hazards. Once a traffic incident is selected, detailed information can be viewed about the exact location and distance from your current position
- Traffic Alerts: Traffic alerts appear on-screen as you approach incident locations. You can choose to reroute manually, continue your current route, or have the KW-NT500HDT automatically reroute you around these areas.
- Headline News: Information on National, World, Sports, and Business news downloads automatically. Full news stories can also be selected for reading on-screen.
- Sports Scores: You can look up scores from current national sporting events.
- Weather Info: You can view local and national weather conditions on screen.
Note: Total Traffic+ HD Network coverage map.
Hybrid TTN+ Mode: When you are out of HD radio coverage, the Hybrid Total Traffic Network+ Mode receives news and real-time traffic information from the iHeartRadio Link app on your USB connected iPhone.
NewsService Journaline: NewsService Journaline delivers hierarchically structured textual information, enabling you to easily and immediately access traffic information you are most interested in from the JVC in-dash navigation receiver. You can browse all received traffic information, both program-related and program-independent textual information, and select your favorite traffic news items.
Routing Preferences: You can select how the unit will calculate your route by adjusting the following settings:
- Route Priority: You can select the unit to either calculate the fastest timed route or shortest distant route.
- Route Avoidance: You can select to use or avoid the following types of roads; Freeway, Toll Road, Ferry, or Bypass Traffic.
Via Points: After selecting your destination, you can select up to four places (via points) to stop by along your route.
Adjusting Vehicle Position: If you find your current position is displayed incorrectly on the map, you can adjust your vehicle's position/location.
Speed Alert: The system sounds an alarm when you surpass the speed limit of the current road by a set value. You can choose for the unit to alert you when you are 3, 6, 10, 15, or 20 miles over the speed limit.
Simulate: You can simulate a desired route to confirm what your trip will look like.
Bluetooth Technology: The JVC KW-NT500HDT features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 2.1+EDR). The KW-NT500HDT's built-in Bluetooth technology promotes safe driving habits by allowing you to have a hands-free conversation while driving, without the need to hold a phone to your ear. Your Bluetooth enabled phone can be kept in your purse, pocket, or glovebox; while you communicate through the JVC navigation receiver. The head unit also support Bluetooth audio streaming from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone or digital audio player.
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or digital audio player must be paired with KW-NT500HDT before hands-free & wireless operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled devices with the JVC head unit. You can keep two phones connected at all times (only one can be used during a call). Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JVC head unit. See JVC's Bluetooth compatibility chart for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
External Microphone: The JVC KW-NT500HDT includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the level of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth). This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The touchscreen controls of the KW-NT500HDT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (front or all). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Dialing a Number: Using the KW-NT500HDT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KW-NT500HDT, so you can then dial by using the downloaded phone book numbers. Up to 5,000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can do an alphabetical search (A-Z) to find your desired contact.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
Note: While your vehicle is moving over 3mph, some Bluetooth hands-free communication functions are disable for safety reasons. The keys associated with the disabled functions become ineffective if touched.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The JVC KW-NT500HDT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KW-NT500HDT will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Song and Album title. The KW-NT500HDT also supports audio streaming of select music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Built-in HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio technology significantly improves audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality sound with static free and clear reception.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting, it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Artist Experience: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, as well as Album Art and historical photographs. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song, artist, and station information, as well as Album Art on the display of the JVC KW-NT500HDT.
iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 64KB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
Analog Broadcasts: In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the KW-NT500HDT can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Digital/Analog Tuning: You can setup the KW-NT500HDT to search both analog and digital radio stations, only HD Radio stations, or analog radio stations only.
Digital/Analog Presets: You can set up to 18 FM and 6 AM digital/analog presets stations as presets (HD Radio multicast channels can also be preset). Presets can be set manually or automatically, using Strong-station Sequential Memory (SSM).
IF Filter: You can also switch the analog tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity.
SiriusXM Ready: The JVC KW-NT500HDT comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM & Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). If you already have a Sirius Satellite Radio subscription, this radio cannot be added as a discounted second unit. If you have an existing XM Satellite Radio subscription, you can add this unit as a discounted second unit.
Compatible Discs: The JVC KW-NT500HDT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R/RW discs. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Compressed Music Playback: The KW-NT500HDT can play AAC (32-320 kbps), MP3 (bitrate: 32-320 kbps), WMA (bitrate: 32-320 kbps), WAV (bitrate: 16 bit) audio files recorded onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. AAC, MP3, WMA, and WAV files must be formatted in ISO 9660 level or level 2, Romeo, or Joliet. The head unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders (a maximum of 999 files per folder). This unit will recognize a total of 25 characters for file/folder names. The KW-NT500HDT can display ID3 Tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4) for MP3 files, as well as WAV/WMA Tag information.
Playback & Search Functions: The KW-NT500HDT offers the following playback & search functions for DVD/CD playback; Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Next/Previous Track, Random (all/disc), and Repeat (track/chapter/folder).
DVD Touchscreen Control: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 3 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the middle of the screen activates the DVD playback on-screen buttons.
Disc Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc). Next time you select CD for the playback source, the disc will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Off Insert: A DVD/CD disc can be inserted with the switched power off.
Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Port: The JVC KW-NT500HDT features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port on a 38" pigtail to connect your USB device. For the unit to recognize your USB device, it must be specified as a mass storage class device. Up to 4 USB devices can be connected to the head unit's USB port via a USB hub (sold separately). USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
microSD-Card Slot: The JVC KW-NT500HDT is equipped with a front-panel microSD-card. The unit supports microSD (up to 2GB) and microSDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards.
Compatible Media Files: The head unit supports audio and video playback from USB mass storage class devices and SD/SDHC memory cards formatted in FAT 12/16/32. The KW-NT500HDT can recognize a total of 9,999 folders with a maximum of 999 files per folder (per USB device or SD card).
- Music Files: The KW-NT500HDT supports AAC (bitrate: 32-320 kbps), MP3 (bitrate: 32-320 kbps), WMA (bitrate: 32-320 kbps), WAV (bitrate: 16 bit), FLAC (bitrate: 16 bit) audio files stored on a USB msc device or microSD/SDHC memory card. The KW-NT500HDT can also display ID3 Tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4) for MP3 files, as well as WAV/WMA Tag information and iTunes m4a metadata.
- Video Files: The KW-NT500HDT supports MPEG4 (picture size 720x480; 30fps), AVC H2.64, (picture size: 720x480; 30fps), and WMV (picture size: 720x480: 30fps) video files stored on a USB msc device or microSD/SDHC memory card.
Playback Controls: You can control basic playback functions; such as Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Next/Previous Track, Random (folder), and Repeat (track/folder).
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The JVC KW-NT500HDT supports audio/video playback from select Apple iPods & iPhones. The JVC KW-NT500HDT's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and rear-panel 3.5mm iPod Video input allow you to connect your Apple iPod/iPhone using the JVC KS-U49 iPod cable (105KSU49, sold separately). Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park. If you only want to playback audio from your iPod or iPhone, you can simply connect it to the KW-NT500HDT's rear-panel USB port using either the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPod/iPhone or PIE's iPod Direct Connect Cable (469USBIPH, sold separately).
Note: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
iPod/iPhone DAC Bypass: Because the JVC KW-NT500HDT uses its USB connection for audio & control transfer, your iPod/iPhone's stored music is loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality is maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 100dB.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to control your iPod/iPhone from the JVC head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen or clickwheel. The KW-NT500HDT offers 3 control modes - Head Unit, iPod, and External.
- Head Unit: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audiobook. You can search video by Playlist, Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, Rentals, and iTunesU. Once a Playlist or Category is selected, the content is listed in alphabetical order. The KW-NT500HDT also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone.
- iPod: You can choose to navigate your iPod or iPhone's stored music and videos from its clickwheel or touchscreen, like you are accustomed to during normal usage.
- External (App Mode): External Mode lets you enjoy audio/video content from downloaded Apps (such as Netflix, or YouTube, etc..) streamed to your Apple iPhone, on the KW-NT500HDT (using the JVC KSU-49 cable; sold separately). Video can only be output from the iPhone 4/4S. This mode offers no control of your iPhone. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate your Apps. The External Mode's video function can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged. Audio content from select music apps (such as Last.fm or Rhapsody) can also be enjoyed from any iPhone.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded application will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the JVC KW-NT500HDT using your connected Apple iPhone, via the USB/iPod connector cable (included with your iPhone) or the JVC KSU-49 cable (sold separately). The JVC KW-NT500HDT provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list; you can sort the station list by date or A-Z. You can also skip song tracks within a station. In addition, you can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
iHeartRadio Link for JVC: The iHeartRadio Link for JVC (free app) is an Apple iPhone application that delivers access to over 750 Clear Channel local radio stations in both AM and FM, as well as commercial-free and artist-programmed channels. The free iHeartRadio Link app lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the JVC KW-NT500HDT using your connected Apple iPhone, via the USB/iPod connector cable (included with your iPhone) or the JVC KSU-49 cable (sold separately). All stations are streamed in high-quality AAC format. The JVC KW-NT500HDT will display song & artist information, as well as Album Art. You can select available stations from the unit's on-screen station list, which includes - Favorites (up to 100), Featured, Local Stations, All Cities, National Stations, Genres, and Personalities. You an also have the head unit randomly select stations for you. iHeartRadio even provides "tag" information for each song, so you can transfer "tag" information to your connected iPhone and purchase your "tagged" songs later from the online iTunes store.
Note: To access iHeartRadio you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 4.2 or later) with the latest version of the iHeartRadio Link application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
NaviBridge for iPhone: NaviBridge is a free iTunes application that allows you to remotely control the JVC navigation head unit by setting a destination from your USB connected iPhone. You can set a destination from your iPhone's Google Map screen, or select one from your iPhone's stored Contacts or Bookmarks (up to 100). NaviBridge is compatible with the iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S (running iOS ver. 4.3 or later).
iPod/iPhone Display: The KW-NT500HDT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information of your stored music, regardless of control mode. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art. Pandora and iHeartRadio song/artist information will also be displayed. Other downloaded music apps will not display on the unit's LCD monitor.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The JVC KW-NT500HDT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/16/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Apps||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||App Mode||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||NaviBridge||iHeartRadio||Pandora|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Drive Change Mode (for Android/BlackBerry): The JVC KW-NT500HDT's USB port supports playback from Android & BlackBerry smartphones (via USB mass storage mode). JVC's Drive Change Mode lets you connect your Android or BlackBerry smartphone (that uses an external memory card) directly to the head unit, via USB. Drive Change Mode will let you switch between your Android or BlackBerry smartphone's internal and external memory (such as microSD Card), so you can listen to music stored on either memory. You'll continue to be able control basic playback functions; such as folder/file search, play/pause, and skip next/previous; regardless of memory type.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-NT500HDT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KW-NT500HDT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the KW-NT500HDT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the KW-NT500HDT are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KW-NT500HDT with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to low, the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to high, and the volume control will range from 0 to 50. The internal amp can also be turned off when all the speakers are powered by outboard amplifiers.
Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
2.5V/6CH Preamp Output: The KW-NT500HDT is equipped with three pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The front & rear preamp outputs offer balance/fade control and are designed to hookup to a full-range 4-channel amplifier. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and designed to hookup to a mono-block subwoofer amplifier. You can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -50 and +10.
Digital Crossover Network: The KW-NT500HDT features a variable high pass crossover for the front & rear speakers, as well as a low pass crossover for the subwoofer.
- Front: Frequency (Through, 30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/220/250Hz), Slope (-6/-12/-18/-24dB), Gain (-8 to 0dB), Tweeter Level (-8 to 0dB)
- Rear: Frequency (Through, 30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/220/250Hz), Slope (-6/-12/-18/-24dB), Gain (-8 to 0dB)
- Subwoofer: Frequency (Through, 30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/220/250Hz), Slope (-6/-12/-18/-24dB), Gain (-8 to 0dB), Phase (Normal/Reverse)
Equalizer: The JVC KW-NT500HDT provides both a Preset EQ for quick musical adjustment and 13-Band EQ for more advanced customization.
- Preset EQ: Choose from Flat, Dynamic, Bass Boost, Natural, Vocal Boost, Vibrant, or User 1/2/3/4.
- 13-Band EQ: Each user mode lets you adjust the head unit's 13-band equalizer; 62.5Hz, 100Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, and 16kHz (+/- 9dB).
Source Link EQ: This feature allows you to store EQ settings for each source (Disc, AM/FM, AV-IN, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, iHeart Radio, and Pandora).
DSP Control: The JVC KW-NT500HDT's Digital Sound Processor (DSP) offers various vehicle, audio, and driver settings to improve the sound in your car, truck, SUV, or van.
- Vehicle Criteria: You
are able select the type of vehicle, your seated position, and
speaker distance to better quality your vehicle's sound.
- Vehicle Type: can choose what type of vehicle you have; Compact, Full-size Car, Wagon, Minivan, SUV, or Van (full-size)
- Seated Position: for a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position; choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front
- Time Alignment: manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position; select between 1.6-16.4' for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, and Subwoofer
- Speaker Settings: You
can set the size and location of your vehicle's speakers.
- Front: Size (OEM, 3.5", 4", 5", 5.25", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10"); Location (Door, On Dash, Under Dash), Tweeter (None, Small, Medium, Large)
- Rear: Size (None, OEM, 3.5", 4", 5", 5.25", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10"); Location (Rear Deck, Door)
- Subwoofer: Size (None, 6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15")
- Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further
audio enhancement for better sound in your vehicle.
- Space Enhancer: set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level
- Sound Stage Elevation: creates an affect of hearing the sound from a higher place than the actual position of your vehicle's speakers
- Loud (Loudness): boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level
- Bass Boost: four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies
- Compressed Music Enhancers: The head unit offers several audio
adjustments dedicated to enhance the sound quality of your compressed
- Audio Contrast: sharpens vague sound to make the audio more realistic; effective for compressed music data
- D.T. Expander (Digital Track Expander): reproduces the natural sound of digital audio sources by restoring data that was lost and waves that were changed during audio compression to their original states; effective for compressed music data
- Driver Sound Improvements: The KW-NT500HDT features various audio
settings to help improve your driving and audio experience.
- Start Up Sound Level: starts the head unit with a volume lower than when the system was turned off; you can then manually turn it up back to the previous level
- Road Noise Compensation: increases the volume of little sound that can be easily washed out by road noise and boosts the bass
- Adaptive Volume: automatically increases the volume level (both for Navigation and audio/video) as the car speeds up; you must connect the unit's Speed Signal wire (pink/gray) to your vehicle's speed sensor wire
- Reverse Audio Reduction: attenuates the receiver's AV sound when you shift your vehicle into reverse, so you can concentrate more on backing up your vehicle safely
Dynamic Range Compression: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Key-Touch Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Front-Panel Aux Input: A front-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system
Audio/Video Input: The rear-panel audio/video input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack, allowing you to connect external equipment to this head unit. The audio/video input can be set to one of the following modes.
- AV: Choose when connecting an audio/video component.
- Audio: Choose when connecting an audio component.
- Off: Select when no component is connected.
Camera In: The rear-panel Camera input consists of a composite video connector which allows you to connect an optional rear-view camera (105KVCM10, sold separately). The unit features a reverse gear signal wire (purple/white wire within 22-pin harness), that when connected to your vehicle's reverse light circuit, will automatically switch the KW-NT500HDT's display to the rear-view camera input. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.2 seconds.
Note: Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Video Output: The rear-panel Video Output consists of a composite video jack that allows you to connect an optional external monitor. You can watch the same video source that is being played on the DVD receiver on your connected external monitor. You can choose one of the following monitor types for the output to the external monitor(s):
- 16:9: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 16:9.
- 4:3 Letter Box: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture black bars appear on the top and bottom of the screen.
- 4:3 Pan Scan: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture, the black bars do not appear; however, the left and right edges of the picture will not be shown on screen.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The JVC KW-NT500HDT replaces these items
- 13-band iEQ and time alignment
- built-in Bluetooth and built-in HD Radio tuner, compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- play Pandora® and iHeartRadio