About the JVC KW-V50BT
JVC's KW-V50BT DVD receiver offers an eye-catching 7" variable-color touchscreen display, a built-in DVD/CD player, USB port, built-in Bluetooth®, and lots of settings you can tweak. But, you can take your driving experience to the next level by using its HDMI input to connect select smartphones and tablets and use a variety of apps on the go.
What you need
The KW-V50BT's HDMI input lets you enjoy access to many of the apps on your smartphone or tablet directly from the touchscreen controls on the receiver. Here's the lowdown on what you need depending on your smartphone:
- iPhone® 5, 5C, and 5S: You'll need to connect the Apple Lightning™ to USB cable and an HDMI cable (sold separately) to Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter. Working with the iPhone 5's Bluetooth, you'll be able to mirror and control select apps on the KW-V50BT's touchscreen display.
- iPhone 4 and 4S: Connect your iPhone 4 or 4S to the KW-V50BT's rear USB and analog audio/video input using the JVC KS-U59 cable, and you'll have access to JVC's App Link Mode.
- Select MHL-enabled Android® phones: Once you download the JVC Control app on your phone, you'll connect your Android to the JVC receiver with an HDMI/MHL cable, such as the JVC KS-U61. After pairing the Android's Bluetooth with the JVC, you'll get app control on the touchscreen display.
With your smartphone connected, you can enjoy select navigation, driver assistance, video, and music apps — all of which can be controlled on the KW-V50BT's display or by voice command.
Sights and sounds
You can customize the KW-V50BT's touchscreen layout and set the display colors that best suit your dash. JVC's touch control lets you run your entertainment system with a few swipes to scroll through music folders, skip songs, and adjust the volume.
Once you've got the music you want, you can tweak it with the built-in 3-band parametric equalizer. If you're adding amps, you'll appreciate the three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs for super-clean audio.
Bluetooth of course
Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. If you're an Android user, you'll really appreciate this receiver's Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) technology. JVC includes an external Bluetooth microphone which you can place in a good spot in your vehicle for superior hands-free communication.
Got an iPhone with Siri? The KW-V50BT supports Siri Eyes Free through Bluetooth, which means you can ask Siri to make calls, select and play music, compose and hear text messages, read notifications, even use maps and get directions — all commanded by your voice through the receiver. This convenient feature can make your drive safer and more productive.
Lots of music
If you enjoy Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you'll really enjoy playing music from Pandora® and iHeartRadio® on this versatile receiver. You can scroll through your stations, bookmark songs, and give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down right from the receiver's face.
The AM/FM tuner includes the Radio Data System (RDS), so you get artist, song, and station info on the display. You can also take your radio experience to next step by adding the compatible SiriusXM tuner, so you can get the latest news, talk, and music from your favorite satellite radio stations wherever you drive.
Video on the road
Use the rear analog audio/video inputs to hook up your favorite portable audio player, a camcorder, or another video source. This receiver boasts an audio/video output to send movies to a rear video screen, so your passengers will stay happy during the longest road trips. And, the KW-V50BT's dual zone capability means the kids can watch a movie in the back while you listen to your favorite music up front. If you've got a big vehicle, you'll appreciate the input for a rear-view camera — helpful for when you're maneuvering your vehicle in tight spaces.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC DVD receiver. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the JVC, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized touchscreen with angle adjustment
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- variable color illumination with over 30,000 choices of colors
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- remote control
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora and iHeartRadio control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free control for select iPhones
- Voice Command for select Android smartphones
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see "Details" for full capabilities)
- iEQ with 7 presets and 3-band parametric EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- dual-zone audio
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear HDMI digital A/V input, rear analog A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KW-V50BT
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN DVD receiver w/ 6.1" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)
- Remote control (RM-RK256)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Microphone w/ integrated bracketed (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 6 Pan head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 6 Flat head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 6mm)
- HDMI bracket
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- "2-Way Android Control" instructions
- Warranty Information
JVC KW-V50BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KW-V50BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
7" Motorized LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The KW-V50BT features a motorized 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touchscreen monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD serves as a video monitor, system information display, and touchscreen control panel. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at seven different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc.
- Customizable Home Screen: The Home Screen displays your three favorite source icons (which are customizable), clock/date, phone icon, menu setting, and an "All Source" icon (which changes the Home Screen to display all available sources)
- Background Image: You can select from 9 different background images for the touchscreen display. In addition, you capture an image from an inserted USB device and use it as a custom background. When using a JPEG file as the background, make sure that the resolution is 800 x 480 pixels.
- Aspect Ratio & Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the brightness and black level of the unit's onscreen display. You can also adjust the contrast, color, tint, and detail level during video playback. The adjustment level for each setting is -15 to +15. You can also choose from four aspect modes for the in-dash display; choose from Full (for 16:9), Regular (for 4:3), Panorama (for viewing 4:3 in widescreen), or Zoom 1-3 (changes magnification).
- Adjustable Dimmer: When the illumination lead (orange/white)
is connected and the dimmer set to Auto, the display will dim automatically when
you turn on your vehicle's lights. The dimmer can also be set to Off (normal
brightness at all times), On (display is always dimmed), or Dimmer Time Set (you
program the time for the dimmer to turn off an on).
Note: There are eight options for the menu language; including English, French, Spanish, and five others.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen monitor, the KW-V50BT features hard-key controls along the bottom edge of the screen. The unit includes push-button controls for Power, Volume, Main Menu, Phone, Display, Mute, and Eject functions. The unit's touchscreen and hard-key buttons color can be changed to one of eight preset colors - blue, light blue, red, green, yellow, orange, violet, or white. You can also choose to have the unit constantly scroll through all eight preset color. In addition, you can create a custom color using a combination (0-31) of red, green, and blue. You can save separate color settings for Daytime and Nighttime driving.
Clock/Calendar Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-/24-hour clock and month/date/year display which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "AV Off" mode. Pressing and holding the "Home" button turns the unit off completely.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
2-DIN Chassis: The JVC KW-V50BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is no mounting sleeve included for a Euro- or Custom-mount installation. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The JVC KW-V50BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JVC KW-V50BT. See JVC's Bluetooth compatibility chart for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the JVC KW-V50BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the JVC head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the JVC head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The JVC KW-V50BT supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the KW-V50BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The KW-V50BT allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the KW-V50BT, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to five phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KW-V50BT. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 10 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The JVC KW-V50BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KW-V50BT will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The KW-V50BT also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the JVC KW-V50BT has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone. Simply press the touchscreen "voice command" icon or front-panel button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the KW-V50BT and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the JVC KW-V50BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Disc Compatibility: The JVC KW-V50BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 and DiVX video files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3/WMA/AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc. The touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc.
USB Port: The JVC KW-V50BT features a rear-panel USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 38" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, & FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG/BMP/PNG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The KW-V50BT also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 and H.264/WMV video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The JVC KW-V50BT supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (msc)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps
w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-192kbps w/ sampling rates of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 16-48kHz
| MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps
w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-192kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 16-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 24-bit w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Video|| MPEG-1/2: .mpg, .mpeg |
DivX: .divx, .div, or .avi
| MPEG-1/2: .mpg, .mpeg |
H.264/WMV: .mp4, .wmv, .avi, or .mkv
|Photo||N/A||JPEG/BMP/PNG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||254 folders/64,700 files (255 files per folder)||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Playback Screen: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the picture adjustments, while pressing the bottom center activates the playback controls.
Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the disc will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Disc Reload: If an ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust; playback starts automatically.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The JVC KW-V50BT supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input. The KW-V50BT supports playback of stored music and videos, as well as music and video apps on select Apple iPod/iPhone models. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the JVC KW-V50BT. Using JVC's KS-U59 iPod video cable (105KSU59, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps on your iPod/iPhone through the JVC KW-V50BT. If you only desire audio playback, you can use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KW-V50BT.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the JVC KW-V50BT for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the JVC DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the KW-50BT, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the JVC's KSU-60 HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod/iPhone Control w/ Metadata + Charging: The JVC KW-V50BT offers head unit control, song/artist information display, and battery charging for your connected Apple device.
- iPod/iPhone Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. From the head unit's touchscreen you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audiobook. You can search video by Playlist, Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, and Video Podcasts. Once a Playlist or Category is selected, the content is listed in alphabetical order. The KW-V50BT also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen so you can navigate your stored music and music apps from the mobile device; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The KW-V50BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information of your stored music. The head unit will indicate Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art. The unit will also display metadata information from Pandora and App Link Mode apps. Other applications will simply display the message "Do you want to exit app and switch to iPod Source"; tapping the "Yes" button will take you back to your iPod/iPhone's stored music, while pressing the "No" button turns unit off.
- iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone (not the iPad). If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone & Android (via HDMI): You can listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your iPhone (iOS 7+) or Android (4.1) smartphone, using the head unit's HDMI input and its Apps Mode. The head unit will mirror the display of your mobile device (not always full-screen) when in Apps Mode. Apps Mode also provides basic playback control for your iPhone from the receiver's touchscreen; basic playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track. You can even control your Android device from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from the smartphone; this requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged (all other Apps mode functionality does not require the parking brake be engaged). Using either a compatible iPhone or Android smartphone, you can also exit App Mode and access Pandora, and iHeartRadio directly from the head unit's touchscreen with advance music navigation and control. In addition, the iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control when connected via HDMI. While navigation maps from your smartphone can be displayed on the JVC head unit's touchscreen, the navigation app will still need to be controlled from your iPhone or Android device (unless you have the vehicle's parking brake engaged; in this case you can control Android maps from the head unit's touchscreen).
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the JVC's KSU-60 HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Android Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as JVC KS-U61 MHL/HDMI cable (105KSU61, sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing and installation of the JVC Smartphone Control App from Google Play (radio also requires a firmware update). Compatible Android smartphones include Samsung Galaxy *S3/S4/Note II, Sony Xperia Z/Z1/ZR/ZL, and HTC One (all with OS 4.1+). *The Samsung Galaxy S3/4 and Note II requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is needed for touchscreen control.
Note: Access to your iPhone and Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android and Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
Waze App: The KW-V50BT also supports the Waze navigation app (from iTunes & GooglePlay) for Apple iPhone with Lightning connector and Android via HDMI/MHL through the head unit's Apps Mode. You'll be able to view and control the Waze app from the JVC head unit's touchscreen. However, if you are using an Android smartphone, the parking brake must be engaged for touchscreen control.
App Link Mode (for iPhone 4/4S only): App Link Mode offers audio playback and video display of useful driving, utility, and music apps from your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 5.0 or later) on the JVC KW-V50BT, using the JVC KS-U59 cable (105KSU59, sold separately). Simply download the JVC Mobile Plugged-In App from iTunes onto your iPhone 4/4S and the app will function as a central launcher of controllable partner applications. You can even continue to listen to another source while the unit displays a driving or utility app. App Link mode is not compatible with the iPhone 5 or later. Available apps included (as of 4/8/2014).
|App Categories||App Link Apps|| |
|Navigation||MotionX-GPS Drive||The Motion X GPS Drive App is available from iTunes for your iPhone for only $0.99. There is a $2.99 per month subscription fee, or $19.99 per year is required for the Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive turns your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0 or later) and the JVC KW-V50BT into a personal navigation device for your vehicle. Providing full navigation features and song playback control from your iPhone 4/4S, MotionX-GPS Drive also displays its map data on the connected JVC multimedia receiver's widescreen monitor. Your iPhone 4/4S displays a choice of MotionX-GPS Driver's feature/menu screens as a secondary display (for passenger), while continuing to show the map on the JVC receiver. It even works simultaneously with iPhone 4/4S song playback by muting or pausing music, then restoring your volume during voice guidance through your car speakers. The MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation application covers the United States & Canada.|
|INRIX Traffic||INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app for iPhone provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the JVC KW-V50BT, while control is still handled from the iPhone. INRIX Traffic offers the following benefits - (1) Avoid delays with real-time traffic info from the world's largest traffic network (2) View traffic incidents on your route such as accidents, police, constructions, and other events (3) Know your best time to leave based on predicted traffic conditions (4)Compare your current traffic conditions from what is normal.|
|Sygic||Sygic is a voice guided GPS navigation app (fees may apply). It's packed with latest maps and a robust set of navigation features. Both app and maps are updated for free. Maps are stored on the phone for offline use. All the things that can be operated from iPhone can also be operated also from the DVD receiver except text input. POI search, Traffic display, Zoom, Map scroll, Voice guidance and more can be controlled on JVC DVD receiver.|
|Waze||Waze is the world's fastest-growing community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute. Map Scroll, Zoom, Traffic display, Voice guidance and more can be controlled from the JVC DVD receiver.|
|POI-Warner||POI-Warner PRO ($5.99) is equipped with a database of traffic enforcement cameras in 19 European countries. Displays a map with speed camera information on connected DVD receiver as secondary display. You can simply control app while still listening to music in the background.|
|Local Scope||Local Scope (free app) allows you to find places, people, and information around your current position using geo-tagged data from multiple local search engines, social networks, media sharing services, and other apps. Explore information, photos and videos aggregated from diverse services or get information about places.|
|Local Scope (free app) allows you to find places, people, and information around your current position using geo-tagged data from multiple local search engines, social networks, media sharing services, and other apps. Explore information, photos and videos aggregated from diverse services or get information about places.|
|Cobra iRadar||Cobra iRadar (free app) is the world's first and largest community-based radar/laser/camera detection system. Now you can share and receive alerts in real time from other iRadar users. With access to live radar/laser detection, user reports, automatic alert reporting, and Cobra's AURA speed and red light camera database, iRadar users are the smartest and most aware drivers on the road.|
|Driver Assistance||DriveMate Rec Mini||DriveMate Rec mini ($.99) is an application that turn your iPhone into a drive recorder. It automatically records video in incidents such as traffic accidents. You can record a video clip of up to 10 seconds before and after an event. Either a impact such as heaving braking, abrupt handling ,or collision is automatically sensed and recorded. Recorded video can be exported to the camer aroll or YouTube.|
|DriveMate Rec||DriveMate Rec ($1.99) is an iPhone app that records video while you drive and tracks the route driven. It includes three functions. (1) Automatically records video in incidents such as traffic accidents (2) Records scenery while driving (3) Record tracks while driving, so you can compare track with other routes you have driven.|
|DriveMate OnboardCam||DriveMate OnboardCam ($.99) is an application to record movies and tracks during the driving. Now you can record scenery while driving.|
|DriveMate Time Trial||DriveMate TimeTrial ($.99) is an application to record tracks for driving. The recorded tracks can be compared with other tracks or the real driving. Save, play back, and compare tracks of routes driven.|
|DriveMate SafetyCam||DriveMate SafetyCam ($.99) is an iPhone app designed to support safe and eco-friendly driving. Provides an approach warning to the car ahead, departure notification of the car ahead, and an overall driving safety evaluation.|
|DashCommand||Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone 4/4S, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the head unit's touchscreen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.|
|Music||Sonic MaxPro for JVC||Sonic MaxPro for JVC (free app) is an HD quality music player with BBE's critically acclaimed HD audio technology-(Sonic Maximizer) and built-in presets.|
|TuneIn Radio||TuneIn lets you listen to the world's radio with music, sports, news, talk, and comedy streaming from every continent. Enjoy 70,000 live radio stations and 2 million podcasts, concerts or shows on your iPhone, iPad and iPod, all for free. The KW-V50BT will display station identification, song/artist information. and album artwork. You will still need to use your iPhone to change stations.|
|Utilities||Web Reader (Text-to-Speech)||Web Reader ($1.99) for iPhone uses Text to speech technology along with web page content recognition to read web pages out loud. Web Reader reads web pages and social media sites aloud through car speaker while driving with on-screen play & pause.|
|Everio Sync. 2||By connecting a JVC Everio camcorder and your iPhone with Wi-Fi, this application allows the video of the JVC Everio camcorder to be seen from the DVD receiver. Pan control, Zoom control, Rec/Pause control and snapshots can be operated from the receiver.|
Note: Apps not available in all areas. Available apps subject to change without notice.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The JVC KW-V50BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/28/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps Mode||Apps Link||Pandora||iHeart||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- *Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the JVC's KSU-60 HDMI cable (all sold separately).
- **Requires the JVC KS-U59 cable (105KSU59, sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KW-V50BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. Local tuning lets you only tune in stations with sufficient signal strength. You can activate the monaural mode to improve FM reception, when a station is week (the stereo effect will be lost).
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): The JVC KW-V50BT allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected iPhone (5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Blueooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the KW-V50BT via the the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the JVC KW-V50BT. Your iPhone or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App (for iPhone/Android): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the JVC KW-V50BTusing your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. The JVC KW-V50BT provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Auto (for iPhone/Android): The free iHeartRadio Auto app for JVC (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the JVC KW-V50BT using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KW-V50BT will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada/only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The JVC KW-V50BT comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-V50BT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KW-V50BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KW-V50BT are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The KW-V50BT is equipped with 6ch/4.0V preamp outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer). The front and rear preamp outputs allow fader control, while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. You can adjust the KW-V50BT's subwoofer output level (-50 to +10) independently from the head unit's main volume control for added bass volume. You can also adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
Built-in Crossovers: The JVC KW-V50BT features a built-in high-pass filter for the unit's front & rear speakers, and a low-pass filter for the unit's subwoofer output.
- High-Pass Filter: You can activate a variable high-pass filter (40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220 Hz or Through) for the unit's front & rear channels (speaker- or preamp-level), so low frequency signals are cut off from your system's front & rear speakers. The front & rear channel's high-pass filters can be set independently of one another.
- Low-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preamp output features a low-pass filter. In order to prevent high-frequencies from being sent to your system's subwoofers, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter to 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz or Through.
Speaker Select: You can select which type & size of speaker you have connected to the head unit. Choose from Standard (OEM/Factory), Narrow (4"/5"), Middle (6"/5x7"/6x8"), Wide (6x9").
Pro EQ: The KW-V50BT is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Vibrant, and User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 150 Hz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 kHz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||1.0, 2.0|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||Fixed|
Sound Extras: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. You can set the Loudness to On or Off.
- Dynamic Range Compression: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of On (reduced dynamic range), Dialogue (clearer movie dialogue), or Off (full dynamic range).
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -15 to +6.
Key-Touch Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
A/V Input: The head unit features a rear-panel 3.5mm AV input for connecting a permanent external A/V source, such as a Blu-ray player, gaming console, or mobile ATSC tuner.
HDMI/MHL Input: In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Camera In: The rear-panel Camera input consists of a composite video connector which allows you to connect an optional rear-view camera (105KVCM20, sold separately). The unit features a reverse gear signal wire, that when connected to your vehicle's reverse light circuit, will automatically switch the KW-V50BT's display to the rear-view camera input. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a rear-panel composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can select Disc, USB, iPod or AV-IN as the rear-panel source; or your can simply have the rear AV output mirror the head unit's selected front source. The volume of the A/V output will be controlled by your rear entertainment system. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: With Disc, USB, or iPod selected as your front source; you can only select AV-IN, AV Off, or the source playing in the front as your vehicle's rear source. You also cannot select Disc, USB, or iPod as the rear source if your front source is Apps or Pandora/iHeart.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
IR Remote: The JVC KW-V50BT includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the DVD receiver and connected devices (such as Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone, and USB).
14 questions already asked