Video review: One of our employees put the JVC KW-NT3HDT navigation receiver in her Jeep — and absolutely loves it. Take a look at our video to see what she had to say.
Check out JVC's page for the KW-NT3HDT.
Free traffic info, plus a blazing fast internal processor
JVC's KW-NT3HDT navigation receiver features a sharp, 6.1" touchscreen that gives you fingertip control over your whole system. You'll get DVD and CD playback, plus built-in flash memory that brings up your navigation maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico quickly when you need them. And lifetime traffic information ensures that you take the fastest possible route to your destination.
HD Radio™ for iTunes® tagging and traffic information
Total Traffic Plus — it's not just for major cities
A built-in HD Radio tuner gives you outstanding AM/FM sound quality, but it also gives you a couple of other sweet features. One is that the KW-NT3HDT can tune in the free HD Total Traffic Plus network — you'll enjoy access to real-time traffic that'll help you steer clear of traffic jams anywhere a station is broadcasting HD Radio traffic information. It's not just limited to big cities.
HD Radio's digital technology allows for data transmission more than ten times faster than satellite systems, so the KW-NT3HDT can pull in lots of useful data from digital HD Radio transmissions. Many HD Radio stations broadcast weather, sports scores, gasoline prices, and a whole lot more.
Tag the tunes you like, download them later
And as an added bonus, HD Radio makes it easier for you to stock your music library with tunes you love. With an iPod® or iPhone® connected and an HD Radio station tuned in, you can "tag" the songs you like for purchasing later from the iTunes store.
Easy-to-use GPS navigation
You'll see turn-by-turn directions on the screen and enjoy access to over 6 million points of interest. Text-to-speech technology calls out the name of the street for your next turn, letting you keep your eyes on the road.
You can update your maps through the SD-card slot you can even copy your own points-of-interest from Google Maps on your home computer, then load them onto the KW-NT3HDT using the SD card.
Powerful processor for lightning-fast operation
JVC packs the KW-NT3HD with a powerful, 400 MHz Windows Automotive processor that makes navigation, playing music, tweaking your tone, and anything else a snap. In fact, the GPS is ready to navigate in about 15 seconds after you turn on your car — no more waiting.
Play music from your iPod or iPhone
Just connect your iPod or iPhone to the front USB slot, and you'll be using the receiver's controls to browse your tunes and playlists in no time. JVC's 2-Way Control lets your passengers use the iPod itself to control your music while it's connected to the radio and you'll still see song details on the display.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Hands-free calling, music streaming, even audio from iPhone apps
Built-in Bluetooth® technology lets you make hands-free calls in your vehicle. When a call comes in, the receiver mutes the music and you'll hear the caller over your vehicle's speakers. Mount the included microphone in a convenient spot for maximum sound quality.
Bluetooth is about more than making phone calls, though. You can stream tunes you've loaded on a compatible device, and iPhone users will love this — you can send audio from your apps to the KW-NT3HDT over the Bluetooth connection. For instance, you can run your Pandora® app and listen to it over your speakers.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility of this device may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
The KW-NT3HDT features a detachable face — great security if you park on a city street. Stash the faceplate in the included case to keep it free from scratches.
Music and movies
Watch your favorite DVDs while you're parked, or connect a screen in the back so your passengers can watch while you drive. Load your favorite MP3 and WMA files on a CD, USB drive, or SD card the KW-NT3HDT will play 'em all. Load a DVD full of music files and you'll have enough tunes for a road trip from Boston to San Diego. A powerful amplifier belts out your music and movies, while a 7-band EQ adjusts the sound for your vehicle. Add an optional satellite radio tuner for access to a wealth of entertainment. Three sets of gold-plated preamp outputs let you add amps and subs for a complete car entertainment system.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the JVC, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Info provided by JVC
- DVD/CD receiver with navigation and built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with 6.1" color touchscreen
- built-in Bluetooth
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in control of iPod and iPhone
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 files)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 7-band iEQ
- maps of Canada, Puerto Rico, and the entire United States
- built-in flash memory for navigation, updates made using an SD card
- add your own points-of-interest from Google Maps using the SD-card slot
- lifetime subscription to HD Total Traffic Plus included
- 6 million points of interest
- voice guidance in 3 languages (English, French, Spanish)
- compatible with: satellite radio tuner, rear-view camera
- inputs: front-panel A/V and USB inputs, SD-card slot
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear, subwoofer), optical digital output
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Double-Din Navigation/DVD receiver
- 6.1" touch panel display face (installed)
- Soft fabric face case
- Sleeve (installed with four screws)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- A/V harness
- Magnetic GPS antenna with attached 16.25' cable
- Self-adhesive GPS antenna mat
- Microphone with attached 10.5' cord using a right-angle male 3.5mm minijack connector
- 16.5' Reverse-gear signal wire (purple/white)
- Self-adhesive bracket
- 6 Pan-head screws
- 6 Counter-sunk screws
- 2 Red plastic crimp splicers
- Face-fixing screws
- Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connection Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration card/Questionnaire
- Map Data Registration Card
- Correction note
- Caution note (attached to wiring harness)
- Face-fixing screw note
- Removal of protection metal plates note
JVC KW-NT3HDT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JVC KW-NT3HDT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|Audio/video Input||2 Composite video|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory, SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Yes|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The JVC KW-NT3HDT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Detachable Motorized TFT LCD Touch Screen Monitor: The KW-NT3HDT features a motorized 6.1" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touch screen monitor. The pixel resolution of the display is 336,960 (480 x 234 x RGB). The LCD serves as a video monitor, system information display and touch-screen control panel. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. You can detach the touch screen LCD monitor and place it in its supplied soft face case to prevent theft.
Picture Adjust: Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint can each be adjusted from -5 to +5.
Selectable Aspect Modes: You can choose from four aspect modes for the in-dash display when viewing a still image or video:
- Regular: For 4:3 source material, 4:3 and 16:9 pictures display with black bars on either side (16:9 images are compressed).
- Full: Expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height.
- Zoom: Expands a 4:3 LB image to fill the screen.
- Auto: The correct aspect mode is automatically chosen based on the incoming signal.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen monitor, the KW-NT3HDT features hard-key controls along the left edge of the screen. The controls included a rotary knob and push-button keys.
Variable Illumination: The JVC KW-NT3HDT allows you to adjust the unit's screen color and button illumination independently. It offers 7 color presets (Blue, Aqua, Green, Yellow, Amber, Red, and Purple) for the button illumination. Additionally, there is a user preset, allowing you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue from 0 to 31. There is also a "Scan" setting which scans through all of the 7 available preset colors continuously. The unit's onscreen display can be set to either Blue, Aqua, Green, Yellow, Amber, Red, Purple, or White.
Dimmer: When 12 volts is applied to the illumination lead and the dimmer is set to Auto, the display dims. The dimmer can also be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display is always dimmed), or Dimmer Time Set (you program the time for the dimmer to turn off and on). The unit also features 3 dimmer levels to choose from - Bright, Middle, or Dark.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent displaying video while the vehicle is in motion, the green wire in the supplied 16-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Built-In Navigation: The KW-NT3HDT features a built-in GPS Navigation system with maps of the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, and Puerto Rico; powered by Google Maps. Map data is stored on the unit's flash memory and the connected GPS antenna helps to pinpoint your vehicle's current location. Once a destination is set, the unit provides turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance through your vehicle's speakers and the unit's display monitor; using NAVTEQ navigation software.
GPS Antenna: The KW-NT3HDT features a GPS antenna with a magnetic base designed to mount to the exterior of your vehicle. The GPS antenna comes supplied with a self-adhesive pad in case you cannot find a metal surface to attach the antenna directly to.
Visual/Voice Guidance: When you approach a turn, the KW-NT3HDT guides you with voice guidance (Text-to-Speech) through your vehicle's front speakers and visual indications on the KW-NT3HDT's screen. The unit offers 3 voice guidance languages including English, Spanish and French; with adjustable volume.
Lane Guidance: The KW-NT3HDT provides Lane Guidance to help you along your route. The receiver uses the following color-codes to distinguish what lane you should be in - Yellow (recommended lane), White (lane leading to the destination), and Gray (not the lane for your destination).
Points of Interest: The built-in map database has 6 million points of interest from infoUSA. They can be searched by the following categories: Gas Station, Hotel, Parking, Restaurant, Shopping, Travel, Recreation, Entertainment, Medical, Financial, Automotive, and Community. Some of the categories are divided into sub-categories. The KW-NT3HDT can even alert you when you approach a selected POI category.
Street Director Assistant: With the Street Director Assistant feature, you can search P.O.I. data on your PC's Google Maps, and easily add to the unit via an SD card.
Note: Once the SD card is ejected, the imported POI cannot be used.
Map Views: The map scrolls automatically so that your position is always at the center of the map. You can select from different map views:
- 2D Heading Up: The map rotates so that you are always displayed heading "upwards." The direction is displayed with a compass icon.
- 3D Map Heading Up: The map is displayed in a "heading up" mode, and in a three-dimensional view. The direction is displayed with a compass icon.
- 2D North Up: The map view is oriented with north "upwards," like normal paper maps. The direction you are heading to is displayed at the upper right corner of the screen with an icon such as "NE."
Night Map Mode: Night Map Mode dims the map display when driving at night. You can turn this feature On/Off or set to Auto so the map display dims when you turn on your vehicle's headlights (the unit's illumination control lead connect is required for Auto mode).
Destination Search: The JVC KW-NT3HDT offers the following Destination Search functions:
- Browse Map: You can select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Home: You can register one point as your home address.
- Favorites: You can register 100 off your favorite points so you can easily navigate to them from anywhere at any time.
- Previous: You can search from the history of previous destinations and via points from the last 50 points.
- Address: You can search by address using the unit's on-screen keyboard.
- Phone: You can search a destination by entering its telephone number using the unit's on-screen keyboard.
- POI Name: The POI Name feature allows you to search for points-of-interest by name from category listings or using the KW-NT3HDT's on-screen keyboard.
- POI Vicinity: The POI Vicinity feature search for POIs around the following places - your current position, the position selected on the map, the destination, or the route you are taking.
- Quick Search: You can also search POI's from three user registered categories that you use most often such as gas stations, restaurants and hotels.
- Assistant POI: Searches from the list of POIs saved an inserted SD card, using Street Director Assistant.
- Coordinates: You can search by entering the latitude and longitude.
Note: Moving at a specific speed (15+ MPH) engages safety measures in the navigation system to encourage safe driving. Only instantly accessible points of interest and simple menu systems are accessible unless the car is stopped. Otherwise, an address cannot be entered (the keyboard is disabled). The vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable these functions.
Routing Preferences: You can select how the unit will calculate your route by adjusting the following settings:
- Route Priority: You can select the unit to either calculate the fastest timed route or shortest distant route.
- Route Avoidance: You can select to use or avoid the following types of roads - Freeway, Toll Road, Ferry, and Bypass Traffic.
Via Points: After selecting your destination, you can select up to four places (via points) to stop by along your route.
Total Traffic HD Network Plus: The JVC in-dash navigation receiver employs Total Traffic HD Network Plus. Total Traffic HD Network Plus delivers real-time traffic data for more than 125 metropolitan markets in four countries, including the United States, Canada, Mexico. Total Traffic HD Network Plus provides incident, event, construction, congestion, and impact information during your travels. Using this real-time traffic data, the JVC KW-NT3HDT can automatically calculate a new route when approaching a traffic event; saving you time and fuel resources, and helping to alleviate roadway stress.
NewsService Journaline: NewsService Journaline delivers hierarchically structured textual information, enabling you to easily and immediately access traffic information you are most interested in from the JVC in-dash navigation receiver. You can browse all received traffic information, both program-related and program-independent textual information, and select your favorite traffic news items.
Detour: If you realize congestion exists along your route, you can select the Detour function which allows you to select the distance to avoid along your route so the KW-NT3HDT can route you around this congested area.
Auto Recalculate: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you veer off from the original calculated route.
Adjusting Vehicle Position: If you find your current position is displayed incorrectly on the map, you can adjust your vehicle's position/location.
Speed Alert: The system sounds an alarm when you surpass the speed limit of the current road by a set value. You can choose for the unit to alert you when you are 3, 6, 10, 15, or 20 miles over the speed limit.
Simulate: You can simulate a desired rout to confirm what your trip will look like.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-NT3HDT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KW-NT3HDT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the KW-NT3HDT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the KW-NT3HDT are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
5ch/2.5V Preamp Outputs: The KW-NT3HDT features five 2.5V preamp outputs (Stereo Front, Stereo Rear, Mono Subwoofer). The Front and Rear set of preamp outputs fade in and out with the fader control and speaker level outputs on the stereo, while the Subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The JVC multimedia head unit provides the following preamp level controls:
- Subwoofer Level: Adjusts the subwoofer output level from -24to +20.
- Low Pass Filter: Adjusts low pass crossover frequency for the subwoofer preamp output between 50-150Hz (in 10Hz intervals); the LPF slope is also adjustable (-24, -18, -12, or -6 dB).
- High Pass Filter: You can select the unit's high pass filter cut-off frequency between 5-150Hz (in 10Hz intervals) for the front and rear speakers; the HPF slope is also adjustable (-24, -18, -12, or -6 dB).
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KW-NT3HDT with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
7-Band Equalizer: Along with a flat preset, there are 9 preset EQ curves and three user programmable fields; Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Super Bass, Rhythm, and Acoustic; as well as User 1, User 2, and User 3. The user presets can be adjusted to your preference and stored in memory. For each User preset, you can independently adjust the following frequencies: 60 Hz, 150 Hz, 40 Hz, 1 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, and 15 kHz. The level of each frequency can be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 2dB increments.
Source Volume: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -12 to +12.
Adaptive Volume: When this function is activate, the KW-NT3HDT automatically increase the volume level (both for Navigation and audio/video) as the car speeds up. You can set this feature to Min, Mid, Max, or Off.
Note: You must connect the unit's Speed Signal wire (pink/gray) to your vehicle's speed sensor wire.
Dynamic Range Compression: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of Auto or On.
DiAS II Digital Tuner: This model is equipped with JVC's Digital Intelligent Advanced Sensing tuner that is capable of receiving digital (HD Radio) and analog AM/FM stations.
Built-in HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality with static free and clear reception.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
HD Radio Tagging: Using the head unit's iTunes Tagging enabled HD Radio, you can tag your HD music (up to 60 songs) while listening to the radio with your iPod connected. When you hear a song you enjoy on your local HD Radio station, you only have to press the head unit's "Tag" button and the song's information will be saved to your connected iPod. The saved songs will then show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the very next time you sync your iPod to your PC. Then you just need to click, buy, and download the song you tagged directly from the Apple iTunes Music Store. You can enjoy iTunes Tagging with the following iPod/iPhone models (as of May 2010).
|Compatible iPod/iPhone||Generation||Software Version|
|classic||80GB||ver. 1.0, or later|
|nano||3rd||ver. 1.0, or later|
|touch||1st||ver. 2.1, or later|
|iPhone||2G||ver. 2.1, or later|
|3GS||ver. 3.0 or later|
Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting, it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Display Information: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the display of the JVC KW-NT3HDT.
Analog Broadcasts: In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the KW-NT3HDT can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Digital/Analog Tuning: You can setup the KW-NT3HDT to search both analog and digital radio stations, only HD Radio stations, and analog radio stations only.
Digital/Analog Presets: You can set up to 18 FM and 6 AM digital/analog presets stations as presets (HD Radio multicast channels can also be preset). Presets can be set manually, or automatically using Strong-station Sequential Memory (SSM).
Mono Mode: If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
IF Filter: You can also switch the analog tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Direct2 tuner and the JVC CNP-JVC1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMJVC2, sold separately).
- SIRIUS: The JVC KW-NT3HDT is compatible with the
SiriusConnect Universal Tuner and Plug & Play Dock.
- SiriusConnect Tuner: Connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect vehicle tuner (item number 607SCC1) and the JVC KS-SRA100 SIRIUS adapter (item number 105KSRA100) - package # 700SIRJVC1, sold separately.
- SiriusConnect Dock: Select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios can be controlled using the JVC KS-SRA100 SIRIUS adapter (item number 105KSRA100, sold separately) and the SC-VDOC1 dock (item number 607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- Portable: A portable satellite radio receiver can be connected to the head unit via the front-panel auxiliary input or a JVC auxiliary input adapter, such as the KS-U57 or KS-U58 (sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Disc Compatibility: The JVC KW-NT3HDT supports the playback of the following disc types: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW and Video CD.
MP3/WAV Playback: The KW-NT3HDT can play MP3 and WAV audio files recorded on DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. The disc must be recorded in ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, or Romeo. MP3 files with bit rates from 32-320 kbps are supported along with IDTag3 (version 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4) and WAV Tag for album and artist information. Each disc can have a maximum of 5000 files and 250 folders, with a maximum of 999 files per folder.
SD Card Slot: The KW-NT3HDT features an SD-card slot, on the back-side of the touch-panel LCD monitor display, which will accept SD-cards up to 2GB (LCD panel must be detached to access SD-card slot). This unit can play MP3/WMA (32-320 kbps) audio files stored on an SD-card formatted in FAT 12/16/32. You can control basic functions such as Play, Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind and Track Skip. You can also select advance functions such as Track Repeat, Folder Repeat, Folder Random and Random All. All tracks on the SD-card will be played repeatedly until you change the source. This unit supports data transfer rates up to 10Mbps and can recognize up to 5,000 files and 250 folders with a maximum of 999 files per folder. This unit will recognize a total of 25 characters for file/folder names. The SD-card slot can also be used for POI and mapping updates.
Disc Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc). Next time you select CD for the playback source, the disc will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust; playback starts automatically.
Off Eject: The KW-NT3HDT allows you to eject your disc with the head unit turned off.
Note: The unit will not allow you to load a CD/DVD while it is powered off.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Input: The JVC KW-NT3HDT features a front panel USB type-A port.. This allows you to play USB mass storage and Media Transfer Protocol devices such as a USB thumbdrive, Digital Audio Player, or portable HDD loaded with MP3 audio files. For the unit to recognize the USB medium, it must be specified as a mass storage device formatted using FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. The unit's USB port supports MP3/WMA files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps. The unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders (a folder may contain a maximum of 999 files). This unit will recognize a total of 25 characters for file/folder names.
Note: This unit cannot recognize a USB device whose rating is other than 5V and exceeds 500 mA.
iPod Compatible: The JVC KS-U39 USB A/V Cable For iPod/iPhone (105KSU39, sold separately) allows you to playback and control audio/video from your iPod on this JVC multimedia head unit. This cable also allows you to view iPod Artwork. You can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audiobook. You can search video by Playlist, Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, and Video Podcasts. You can then search a category alphabetically or numerically. The head unit also supports Repeat and Shuffle playback functions for music content. You can choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touch-screen or click-wheel (but there will be no text display on the JVC unit). The KS-U39 cable charges your iPod or iPhone when connected to the JVC head unit and is powered on. To playback video, the KW-NT3HDT's Video Input must be set to "On" in the unit's menu. The cable features a proprietary Apple iPod dock connector on one end and a male minijack (3.5mm) AV connector on other end along with a USB type-A connector, which plugs into the front of this unit. You can also connect your iPod's USB/Docking cable to the unit's USB port for audio only playback from your iPod. The JVC KW-NT3HDT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod model features, using the optional KS-U39 cable (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Audio/Video Input: The head unit features a front and rear panel audio/video input. The unit's front audio/video input consists of a 3.5mm AV jack, while the rear panel audio/video input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack, allowing you to connect external equipment to this head unit. The audio/video inputs can be set to one of the following modes:
- Audio + Video: Choose when connecting an A/V component.
- Audio: Choose when connecting an audio component.
- Off: Select when no component is connected.
Video Output: The Video Output (RCA composite video jack) allows you to connect an optional external monitor. You can choose one of the following monitor types for the output to the external monitor(s):
- 16:9: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 16:9.
- 4:3 Letter Box: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture black bars appear on the top and bottom of the screen.
- 4:3 Pan Scan: Select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture, the black bars do not appear; however, the left and right edges of the picture will not be shown on screen.
Camera In: The Camera input consists of a composite video connector which allows you to connect an optional rear-view camera (105KVCM1K, sold separately). The unit features a reverse gear signal wire, that when hooked up will switch the KW-NT3HDT's display to the rear-view camera input.
Optional Input Adapter: An optional JVC Line Input Adapter (105KSU57 or 257KSU58, both sold separately) may be used to provide an additional auxiliary audio input on this unit. This feature allows you to connect a portable audio player, such as a portable MP3 player, to this unit as an additional audio source. The adapter connects to the J-port on this unit.
Built-in Bluetooth: The JVC KW-NT3HDT offers built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free communication and audio streaming. This unit is Bluetooth (ver. 2.0) certified and will support the following Bluetooth Profiles: HFP (Hands-Free Profile) 1.5, OPP (Object Push Profile) 1.1, PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile) 1.0, A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) 1.2, and AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) 1.3. Bluetooth technology allows you to utilize your vehicle's built-in audio system for wireless mobile phone communication or wireless music streaming.
- Hands-Free Communication: The JVC KW-NT3HDT allows you receive and make calls from your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone using the KW-NT3HDT's controls. You can make a call by entering the phone number, using your downloaded Phonebook (up to 500 numbers), or by dialing from a call history list (Dialed/Received/Missed; 50 numbers each). When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker, the head unit's display will flash, and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. The KW-NT3HDT can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An external wired microphone is supplied to carry on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can adjust the volume level of the microphone if needed. You can also switch from the head unit back to your mobile phone for a more private conversation.
- Audio Streaming: The JVC KW-NT3HDT provides audio playback and control of a Bluetooth audio player. The KW-NT3HDT will be able to control basic playback features such as Play, Pause, Track Select, Folder Select, Fast Forward, Reverse, Skip Next, Skip Previous, Repeat and Random.
Note: You can register up to 5 Bluetooth devices to this unit, however, only one unit of each type can be connected at a time. Not all Bluetooth enabled devices will be compatible with this unit.
OEM Steering Wheel Remote Compatible: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: The PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately) can also be used, but you lose Preset Up/Down steering wheel controls. Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The JVC KW-NT3HDT replaces these items
- detachable face with 6.1" color touchscreen
- built-in navigation with lifetime traffic subscription
- built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio tuner
- in-dash DVD/CD receiver with built-in navigation
- detachable 7" screen
- fits double-sized dash