About the Polk Audio Command Bar
Want more bass? Just ask Alexa.
I don't know about you, but when I'm watching TV, I often find myself unable to reach the remote control because I'm stuck under a dog. Well, with Polk's new Alexa-enabled Command Bar™ your voice is the remote! All you have to do is ask and you can change the volume, set the bass level, switch sound modes, or select a different source.
And don't worry — this handy little soundbar/subwoofer combo does all the usual things that Alexa can do. Ask her to tell you a joke, talk about the weather, or stream your favorite music. Alexa even provides voice control for your compatible smart home devices, like lights and cameras.
It's still a Polk
There is more to this sound bar than its cool voice control abilities. You'll also get the great sound you expect from Polk's performance-tuned driver array. The included wireless sub features a 6-1/2" woofer to add some punch on the low end. And Polk's VoiceAdjust® Technology helps you stay tuned in to hard-to-understand dialogue.
- Built-in Amazon Alexa
- voice control over volume, sound mode, and source selection
- voice control of compatible music streaming services and smart home devices
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- Polk VoiceAdjust technology for crystal-clear dialogue
- sleek cabinet can easily be placed on a TV stand or wall-mounted using built-in keyhole slots
- 160 watts of amplification
- performance-tuned driver array:
- two 1-1/4" x 3-1/4" mid/woofers
- two 1" tweeters
- 43"W x 2-1/8"H x 4-1/8"D
- weight: 4.95 lbs.
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- subwoofer volume controls (via remote or voice) to customize bass response
- 7-1/2"W x 14-1/2"H x 15-1/16"D
- weight: 8.65 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 2.1-channel system
- dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi®
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI/ARC output (one cable included)
- allows pass-through of 4K and HDR content
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- deluxe IR remote control
- includes integrated Alexa action button which decreases sound bar volume to ensure voice commands are heard
- warranty: 3 years (speakers); 1 year (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Alexa voice control requires a home Wi-Fi network
- MFR # AM9640
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 58" AC power cord
- 69" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 2 Keyhole brackets
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall Mount Template
- Important Product Information
- "Get Started With Alexa" note
Polk Audio Command Bar reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio Command Bar
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1" Soft-dome (2)|
|Woofer||1.25"x 3.25" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.5" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Voice Control||Alexa built-in|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||---|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-22k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||160W|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100W|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/8H x 43W x 4-1/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.95 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-1/2H x 7-1/2W x 15-1/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||8.65 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Polk Command Bar active soundbar speaker features a performance-tuned, 4-driver array in a stereo configuration with a 1" soft-dome tweeter and a 1.25" x 3.25" oval cone woofer for each channel (a total of two tweeters and two woofers). The 4-driver array is powered by a 160W Class-D amplifier for dynamic, room-filling sound. Dual side-firing ports provide increased bass response.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered subwoofer reproduces deep bass impact that you can feel from your movie and music soundtracks. It houses a down-firing 6.5" woofer, down-firing bass port, and built-in 100W amplifier. You can independently adjust the wireless powered sub's bass level from the rest of the system's overall volume level.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Polk Command Bar will decode 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS and 2ch PCM audio through its HDMI and Optical digital inputs.
Polk Voice Adjust Technology: Polk Voice Adjust technology dramatically increases vocal clarity and volume level for crystal clear dialog no matter what you're watching. You can customize the voice levels in the soundbar however you prefer to reproduce clear, crisp dialog and never miss a single word of your favorite movie, TV show, or sporting event.
Optimized EQ Presets: EQ settings for Movies, Music, Sports, and Night optimize the soundbar and subwoofer to ensure you get the clearest dialog, big surround sound, and deep bass for the best audio and home theater experience regardless of what you are watching or if you are watching late at night.
- Movie: Acoustically optimized for both movie and TV soundtracks. It also provides a bass boost, increased spatialization and enhances Voice Adjust levels for improved dialog clarity. It is the default sound mode for HDMI and Optical input sources.
- Music: Music mode gives you balanced sound and smoother bass while minimizing spatialization effects to ensure more natural sound reproduction.
- Sports: Enhances dialog-rich content, like sporting events, news casts, and talk shows.
- Night: Reduces bass and volume dynamics while improving voice intelligibility for low-volume listening.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring two HDMI inputs and one HDMI ARC output, the Polk Command Bar incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K Ultra HD video pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR) video, and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
- 4K Ultra HD/HDCP 2.2 Compliant: The Command Bar supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling. All of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI jacks are HDCP 2.2 compatible which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The Command Bar supports HDR 10 (not compatible with other HDR formats, like Dolby Vision or HLG).
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the Command Bar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your TV. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1ch & 2ch PCM.
Note: Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box to the soundbar system's HDMI inputs directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Command Bar features a single optical (toslink) digital input to connect your flat-panel TV. The optical input can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1ch program material. The soundbar's digital input also supports 2-channel PCM.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of some newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk Command Bar supports Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP which allows you to wirelessly stream and control audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the soundbar speaker system. Basic playback control (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Volume Up/Down) can be done from the included IR remote. You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for advance music navigation and to view song/artist information.
Note: The Command Bar does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Dual-Band WiFi 802.11ac: The Polk Command Bar comes ready to connect to your home's WiFi network. It features built-in dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard WiFi. Use the Polk Connect app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) to connect the Polk Command Bar speaker system to your wireless network router and enable Amazon Alexa voice services through your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Built-In Alexa: Once connected to your network, use the Polk Command Bar to ask Alexa to perform many useful tasks. To get the attention of the Polk Command Bar, simply say "Alexa". You can then ask Alexa for sports updates, weather reports, cooking questions and more. You can also ask Alexa to control the soundbar speaker system by switching inputs, change sound modes, adjust the bass and more. In addition, the built-in Alexa service works with smart home devices such as lights, fans, TVs, switches, thermostats, garage doors, sprinklers, locks, and more that are Amazon Alexa compatible.
Note: The Command Bar supports nearly all Alexa commands and skills. Features that are not currently supported include Alexa voice or video calling, drop-in, announcements, messaging, named timers and reminders, some Alexa app functions, custom wake word and alarms. However, the Command Bar is always learning new skills through OTA (over-the-air) firmware & software updates.
Far-Field Microphones: Integrated far-field microphones in the Command Bar capture your voice even when the volume is loud. When you say "Alexa", the Command Bar automatically lowers its volume letting you clearly state your command. If for some reason Alexa can't hear you, the Action Button on the included IR remote temporarily lowers the volume even more while you speak your command. The Command Bar's integrated far-field microphones make it easy to control the system's master volume, set the powered sub's bass level, select sound modes, and make source selections with just your voice.
Alexa App: The free Alexa App for Apple iOS 9.0+, Android OS 5.0+, Fire OS, and desktop browsers is a companion app to the Command Bar with Alexa for setup, remote control, and other enhanced features. Interactions with Alexa are automatically mirrored visually on the Alexa App, providing more information as you want it. The Alexa App lets you easily manage your music services, smart home devices, and more.
- Music Apps with Multi-Room: Use the Alexa App to connect music services you already use like Spotify, Pandora, and iHeart Radio. The new Multi-Room Music section allows you to designate a group for devices on the same WiFi network. Once created, group names can be used to control music playback.
- Smart Home with Routines: Setup your smart home devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, and more. You'll be able to view the state and control your smart lights, locks, and thermostats. When you are on-the go, you can use the app to quickly check the status of your lock or turn off your lights. The new Routines section allows you to automate a series of Smart Home actions with one custom command.
Skills: Skills are voice-driven capabilities that enhance the functionality of Alexa. Alexa uses tens of thousands of skills and counting; new skills are being added all the time. You can search for and enable skills in the Alexa app or from the Alexa Skills store on the website. You can also see ratings and reviews to learn what other customers are saying about the thousands of skills available in the Alexa App. To use an Alexa skill, first enable the skill, and then make your request based on the example phrases shown in the app. If you know the exact name of the skill you want, you can say, "Enable [skill name] skill." Some skills may require you to link to an existing account and a separate subscription in order to use the skill.
Soundbar Voice Controls: Functions of Polk Command Bar you can control with your voice and Alexa include Master Volume, Subwoofer Bass Level, Sound Modes (Movie/Music/Sport/Night), and Source Selection. We are working to enable Voice Adjust.
Note: The Command Bar operates like a normal soundbar even if Alexa is disabled or your home network is down. All of the functions on the included IR remote (with the exception of the Alexa Action button) will work without Alexa enabled.
Music Apps: The built-in Amazon Alexa service provides hands-free voice control for Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect (requires Premium subscription), & SiriusXM. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music to the soundbar speaker system. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
Note: Some music services will require subscription and purchase fees.
Multi-Room Music: Multi-Room Music allows you to play and control music from Amazon, Amazon Unlimited, Amazon Prime, and some other 3rd-pary music providers across multiple, compatible Amazon Alexa devices at the same time. You can tell Alexa to play music across your compatible Alexa devices on the same WiFi network. Tell Alexa to play jazz in the kitchen, top pop in the family room, or play the same song throughout your whole home. To stream different music on multiple devices or on more than one Multi-Room Music group at the same time, you must have an Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan.
TV Control: Amazon Alexa can be used to control select Sony Android TVs and LG AI ThinQ TVs. You'll be able to control key functions and features by simply using voice commands.
Smart Home: Alexa works with devices such as lights, switches, thermostats, and more from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, ecobbe, Wink, and more. Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed. Some products work directly with Alexa and other smart home ecosystems require a compatible hub.
- Lighting: With the Amazon Alexa, you can control lighting products using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Outlets: With the Alexa and smart outlets, you can control electronics and appliances using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Thermostats: With Alexa, and compatible thermostats, you can control the temperature of your home using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Door Locks: With Alexa you can control compatible door locks using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
IFTTT: Alexa supports IFTTT, or "IF This, Then That," a third-party service that automates how your devices, apps, and websites work with each other through rules (or "Applets"). After you activate an Applet through the IFTTT website, Alexa can then trigger that IFTTT Applet when you interact with the Command Bar.
Note: Currently, Alexa can't be the action in an Applet. For example, you can't allow Alexa to notify you of new tweets on your Twitter account.
Amazon Prime Shopping: If you're a Prime member, Alexa has exclusive deals for you every day on everything from home goods to electronics. Amazon Prime members can ask Alexa to order eligible products ordered before, many Prime products, and digital music tracks and albums. Your default payment and shipping settings will be used to place your order. You can require a speakable confirmation code, turn purchasing off, and see product and order details in your Alexa App. Just like orders placed through Amazon.com, orders placed through Alexa are subject to Amazon's Conditions of Use & Privacy Notice.
News & Information: Alexa can help you stay connected to the news that matters most to you - like world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and movie times.
- Flash Briefing: Flash Briefing lets you put together a personalized lineup of updates from news sources like NPR, CNN, Fox News, and CNET. If you've set up a voice profile, Alexa recognizes your voice and can catch you up on the latest without repeating old news.
- Traffic & Weather: Alexa can help you get ready for your day. Set your commute start and stop point, and Alexa can tell you how long your commute will take. Or ask Alexa how the weather's looking.
- Sports & Movies: Get scores and schedules for the major football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and soccer leagues or set up a personalized Sports Update to keep tabs on your favorite teams. Alexa can even tell you movie show-times at theaters near you.
Questions & Answers + Fun & Games: Alexa taps into Yelp to provide you with info on local restaurants, shops, and other businesses. It also makes a great calculator and dictionary. You can even get fast facts on all type of topics from Wikipedia. Alexa also offers funny jokes and fun games for the family.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Polk Command Bar. There are also several ways to use your TV, cable, or satellite remote to control the soundbar speaker system.
- HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the Command Bar via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
- Polk Smart Remote Technology: Polk Smart Remote technology allows for most Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony TV remotes to control the Command Bar's volume and mute functions right out of the box (no programming required). TV must be manufactured within the last 5 years.
- IR Learning Function: If you have another brand of television that is not listed above and does support HDMI CEC, or you have a cable or satellite receiver, you can also program the Command Bar to respond to one of these remotes (remote functions include - Power, Volume, and Mute).
Top-Panel Controls: The following controls are found on top of the soundbar speaker - Action Button, Volume Up/Down, and Microphone Mute.
Status Light Indicator: The Command Bar is not equipped with a front-panel display, nor does it offer an on-screen menu. Instead, the soundbar simply contains a single light that changes color and flashes to provide status information about the speaker system, like Sound Modes, Source Selection, and Decoder Modes.
Mounting Options: The Polk Command Bar offers flexible mounting options for the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- The soundbar speaker should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The soundbar can simply be placed on a tabletop, stand, or shelf (integrated rubber feet provide secure placement). The soundbar can also be mounted to the wall using the included keyhole brackets (mounting screws not included).
- The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 30' from soundbar). Ideally, the powered sub should be placed along the same wall as the soundbar speaker. Placing the powered subwoofer in a corner will increase its bass response even more.
Power Requirements: Both, the soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub, will require an AC power outlet. The soundbar speaker includes an AC power adapter with attached 58" DC cord and a detachable 58" AC power cord. The powered sub comes with a detachable 69" AC power cord.
Auto Firmware & Software Updates: Automated over-the-air support updates ensure the Command Bar is always learning new Alexa voice services and other soundbar features.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked