About the Polk Audio DSW MicroPRO 4000
This hideaway subwoofer gives you high-quality bass without taking up a lot of space. Small but mighty, the MicroPRO 4000 is easy to stash below an end table or inside a media cabinet. Chances are, though, you'll want to show off this model's handsome high-gloss finish and modern-looking design.
Custom sound for your room's acoustics
You'll get the same great sound no matter where you place this sub, thanks to Polk's room optimizing technology. Just use the included remote to specify its location — corner, mid-wall, in-cabinet, or mid-room. The Optimizer then automatically equalizes the sub's response to ensure smooth, clean bass from that position. And the included AutoPRO microphone takes sound samples and adjusts the sub's output to further suit your listening space.
Hard-hitting bass from a carefully constructed sub
The impressive 1200-watt amplifier moves plenty of air to deliver punchy bass. Polk uses a bass radiator to efficiently reinforce those all-important low frequencies in your music, movies, and video game soundtracks. The subwoofer's construction is as sturdy as it is compact, featuring a 1" thick front baffle and cast aluminum basket. And firm rubber feet prevent the MicroPRO 4000 from dancing across the floor when you crank up the volume.
- 12" driver with vented, cast aluminum basket
- 12" x 12" fluid-coupled passive radiator acts as a port to reinforce low frequencies
- 1200-watt RMS amplifier
- frequency response 19-140 Hz (-3dB)
- video-shielded (prevents magnetic distortion on tube TVs)
- Polk Room Optimizer delivers punchy bass regardless of the subwoofer's placement in your room
- AutoPRO microphone samples sound in your room and adjusts for optimal response
- Feed Forward technology minimizes distortion and maximizes output
- woofer's inverted dustcap matches the cabinet finish no grille needed
- sturdy cabinet with black high-gloss finish and firm rubber feet
- on/off power options: 12-volt trigger, auto signal sensing, and manual remote control
- speaker-level inputs and outputs
- line-level inputs and outputs
- unfiltered LFE (low frequency effects) input
- remote control for power on/off and volume adjustment
- 15-1/2"W x 16-3/4"H x 16-1/2"D
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 3 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM4455-A
What's in the box:
- Black powered subwoofer
- IR wireless remote control with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery
- 8' Detachable power cord
- Setup microphone with attached 26' cor terminated by a male 3.5mm minijack connector
- 4 Rubber insert feet (installed)
- Owner's Manual
- Online registration card
- Polk Audio product brochure
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio DSW MicroPRO 4000
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1200|
|Frequency Response||21-90 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Yrs woofer/3 Yrs amp|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Yrs woofer/3 Yrs amp|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||---|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||---|
Digital Amplifier: The powered subwoofer's advanced digital amplifier allows for high efficiency, reliability and minimal heat generation. The DSW MicroPro 4000 features 1200 watts of continuous power and can deliver 2400 watts peak.
Subwoofer Driver Design: The robust woofer is the powerhouse behind this powered subwoofer and borrows a host of innovative technologies from Polk Audio's top of the line Signature Reference Mobile Series.
- Woofer Cone: The 12" woofer cone features an inverted dustcap and surround provide extreme stiffness. For further cone rigidity, it's attached to the woofer's drive mechanism via 4.5" diameter ABS Cone coupler. The inverted woofer cone matches the finish of the cabinet and eliminates the need for any grille. The DSW MicroPro 4000's woofer and enclosure is elegantly finished in gloss black.
- Surround/Spider: Inverted rubber surround controls the woofer and allows incredible travel and will not break down, even after relentless pounding. Dual spiders on both the woofer and passive radiator allow linear woofer control even at maximum volumes.
- Magnet: Double stacked magnets give the woofer incredible power, maximizing the magnetic strength of the woofer's drive mechanism.
- Cast Aluminum Basket: The basket is cast aluminum instead of inferior stamped steel. What this means for you is an extremely rigid frame that will not flex when handling the 1200 watt amplifier. Special vents in the basket allow air circulation to keep the voice coil cool.
Quadrilateral Bass Radiator: Bass Radiator Technology is found on the DSW MicroPro 4000 subwoofer. The bass radiator reinforces the ultra lows of the subwoofer and is a much more sophisticated version of a port. The DSW MicroPro 4000 features an 12" x 12" Quadrilateral Bass Radiator. The quadrilateral design offers more radiating area then a round design. Overall, the Quadrilateral Bass Radiator Technology allows the subwoofer to keep its small compact enclosure, while still providing deep bass performance.
Feedforward Distortion Suppression Technology: Feedforward Distortion Suppression Technology minimizes distortion while maximizing acoustic output. Polk's proprietary Feed Forward distortion suppression system anticipates audio problems and fixes them before they happen. This technology has the ability to predict how the woofer will respond to complex signals so it can respond with the absolute minimum intervention to minimize distortion and chance of damage without compromising dynamics or transient response and while actually increasing maximum output. In essence, the digital processor of the DSW MicroPro subwoofer is programmed with a mathematical model that knows in advance how the woofer acoustic system will respond to the output signal from the amplifier. The processor monitors the amplifier input for signal combinations that would cause distortion or damage and alters only that part of the signal required to maintain low distortion and safe operation. It does this before the signal ever gets to the woofer driver so there is no feedback correction time delay and no need for broad band limiting. Also, since Feed Forward is proactive rather than reactive, the limits can be set much higher and closer to the theoretical maximum output of the woofer at each frequency without risk of excessive distortion or damage.
Video Shielded: The DSW MicroPro 4000 is magnetically shielded for placement near video monitors. You should still allow at least 18" of space between your subwoofer and any tube television. LCD, DLP and Plasma TVs are not affected by magnetism.
Cabinet: The powered subwoofer features a beautifully styled, extensively braced cabinet with an extremely thick 1" MDF front baffle. The cabinet not only looks great but is structurally sound. The powered subwoofers stand on firm rubber feet so they won't go sliding across the floor at high volume.
Adjustable Feet: The DSW MicroPro 4000 has four adjustable leveling rubber feet. Each foot's shaft is threaded, enabling you compensate for an uneven floor. The feet are rubber so they are safe for even hardwood floors and tile.
Frequency Response: The overall frequency response for the subwoofer is 16-140Hz, and the -3 dB frequency response is 21-90Hz.
AutoPro: AutoPro mitigates room resonance effects that would otherwise impact a "boomy" quality to in-room performance. AutoPro uses the supplied microphone to take actual samples of the performance in your room, and adjust accordingly to smoothen out the response. The AutoPro processes takes approximately 30 to 120 seconds.
Polk Room Optimizer: The DSW MicroPro 4000's remote control incorporates the Polk Room Optimizer (PRO) feature. The Polk Room Optimizer feature allows you to place the subwoofer where you want it in your listening room. Based upon the four most common room placements for subwoofers, the Polk Room Optimizer maximizes sound quality for you, smoothing out the bass response that a particular room placement creates. There are four push-button room equalization presets on the remote that correct for room boundary effects for typical room placements: "corner," "cabinet" "mid-wall" and "mid-room." The result is great bass performance no matter where you place your DSW MicroPro 4000 subwoofer.
IR Wireless Remote Control: The DSW MicroPro 4000 comes supplied with a credit card sized IR wireless remote control which operates the following subwoofer's controls - Volume, Mute, Phase, Night and Polk Room Optimizer. All commands are sent to the subwoofer via IR control. The IR receiver is located on the front of the subwoofer. There is a blue LED behind the woofer's logo badge which blinks to confirm the subwoofer has received and responded to the remote's instructions. The LED feature can be turned off.
Note: The subwoofers crossover setting must be set using the controls located on the rear panel of the woofer.
Night Mode: Night Mode compresses the dynamic range of the woofer's output, so you hear low-level bass detail at lower volumes.
Volume Control: The DSW MicroPro 4000 has a push button volume control to adjust the volume of the subwoofer relative to the other speakers in the system. The volume is adjustable from 0 to 40.
Phase Switch: The subwoofer's IR wireless remote features a phase control which allows you to select 0-degrees (normal), 90-degrees, 180-degrees (reverse) or 270-degrees. This control enable the subwoofer to blend more seamlessly with your main speakers. If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, using the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass "attack."
Low-Pass Filter: The DSW MicroPro 4000 offers a continuously variable low-pass filter, adjustable from 40-120 Hz.
3-Way Power Switch: The DSW MicroPro 4000 subwoofer uses a 3 position power switch, which allows you to select the subwoofer's operational mode.
- Audio Sense: With the switch in this position, the subwoofer automatically turns on when it sense an audio signal. The LED located on the back to the subwoofer will turn green. The subwoofer can also be turned on or off via the supplied remote control.
- On: With the switch in this position, your subwoofer is always on and fully active. The LED on the back of the subwoofer will be green, This mode is best if the subwoofer is plugged into a switched power outlet. The remote control cannot be used to turn of the subwoofer in this mode.
- 12-Volt: With the switch in this position, the subwoofer will only turn (become active) when a 12V signal is applied to the 12V input on the back of the powered subwoofer or when you press the power button on the supplied remote control. Once active, the subwoofer will remain on regardless of whether an audio signal is present.
Line (Filtered) Inputs/Outputs: The subwoofer has gold plated left and right RCA Line Level inputs. The inputs are for use with electronics featuring unfiltered "Pre Out" jacks (Example: a separate pre-amp processor with a separate amplifier). It may require "Y adapters" to connect the left and right outputs of the pre-amp processor to both the subwoofer and the power amplifier. The line outputs allow you to send a filtered signal to a power amplifier to drive bookshelf speakers.
Speaker Level Input: The subwoofer has binding post connections for front speaker level input. The subwoofer's low-pass filter takes the low frequencies (based on the setting of the filter) and sends it to the subwoofer.
IR Connection The 3.5mm IR connection on the back of the powered subwoofer enables you to place the subwoofer where there is no direct access of the remote control's signal to the subwoofer's infrared receiver by connecting an optional IR repeater (sold separately).