About the Polk Audio Legend L600
Cream of the crop
Cream of the crop
I've long been a fan of Polk Audio loudspeakers, owning several pairs myself over the years. So I was intrigued when the company debuted their new Legend Series, proclaiming them to be "the greatest speakers in Polk history." After doing a deep dive into the magnificent L600, I can say that those strong words are backed up by a list of impressive and innovative features.
The L600's Enhanced Power Port® reduces noise and increases bass output compared to traditional round or slot-firing ports.
All-new drivers for superb performance
Polk has rolled everything they've learned in their 45 years of speaker production into the Legend Series. Their new drivers reflect the company's passion for reproducing sound as naturally and as accurately as possible.
Take for instance their newly designed 1" Pinnacle ring radiator tweeter. It's a remake of a design that made Polk's LSi Series speakers beloved by our audiophile customers for years. Its carefully tuned waveguide helps create a wide listening "sweet spot," while also producing precise spatial imaging.
This highly acclaimed tweeter is joined by a 5-1/4" Turbine Cone™ midrange driver, whose innovative shape dramatically increases stiffness without adding mass. Dual 7" long-throw woofers deliver deep, tight bass.
The L600's three-way design creates ultra-smooth, incredibly detailed sound throughout the tower speaker's wide frequency range.
Ideal for music and for movies
Use a pair of the L600s with confidence as part of an audiophile-grade stereo system, or as the front left and right channels of a Legend Series surround sound system.
Whether you're enjoying your favorite album or the latest superhero movie, you'll appreciate the crystal-clear, vividly realistic sound this speaker produces.
The L600 has a built-in space on top for the optional L900 height module, which creates immersive overhead sound effects.
Expand your system to Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X®
If you're using a pair of the L600s as part of your home theater, consider adding the L900 height modules. These recessed speakers mount inside the top of the L600s and fire upward toward your ceiling, reflecting sound effects down from above to create a true theater-like listening experience.
Upscale fit and finish
The L600 features a heavily braced enclosure to reduce vibration and eliminate unwanted resonance. Each speaker is finished in a real-wood black ash or brown walnut veneer, and includes a removable magnetic grille.
- 3-way design
- 1" ring radiator tweeter with an integrated waveguide for focused high frequencies
- 5-1/4" Turbine Cone midrange
- dual 7" long-throw woofers for tight, punchy bass
- frequency response: 34-38,000 Hz (-3dB)
- impedance: 4 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 30-300 watts
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure with down-firing Enhanced Power Port
- reduces noise and increases bass output compared to traditional round or slot-firing ports
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals for main channel allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- input terminals for optional L900 height module
- removable magnetic grille
- real-wood veneer finish
- outrigger feet for a sturdy foundation
- 13"W x 46-3/4"H x 15-15/16"D (with outrigger feet)
- weight: 77.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (10 years non-transferable with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM8955-A
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Large grille
- Small grille
- 4 Rubber feet (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet (pre-installed)
- 2 Jumper-wires (pre-installed)
- Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration
Polk Audio Legend L600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio Legend L600
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Size (inches)||7|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||Optional|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||34-38k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
1" Pinnacle Ring Radiator Tweeter: The Polk Legend Series L600 floorstanding loudspeaker features a new 1" high definition Pinnacle ring radiator tweeter. Developed by Polk Audio, it delivers ultra-clear, crisp highs without unwanted coloration or distortions. The Pinnacle tweeter features a finely tuned waveguide that dramatically improves the dispersion of high frequency energy ensuring a broad "sweet spot" and while the critically damped rear-chamber helps to defeat any unwanted resonances. Hi-Res certified, the Pinnacle Tweeter is designed for today's two-channel music listening as well as multichannel 3D audio found in music, movies, sports, and video games soundtracks.
5.25" Turbine Cone Midrange Driver: The L600 floorstanding loudspeaker uses one 5.25" Turbine cone midrange driver to handle the midrange frequencies. Polk developed the new Turbine cone specifically for the Legend series to ensure the natural reproduction of the mid-range, the frequencies our ears are most sensitive to. The Turbine cone combines Polk's proprietary foam core and the molded Turbine geometry which dramatically increases stiffness and damping, without adding mass - resulting in smooth, detailed midrange.
Dual 7" High Excursion Bass Woofers: The L600 floorstanding loudspeaker houses two 7" high excursion woofers to handle midbass and bass frequencies. The two 7" woofers extend the performance of the floorstanding loudspeaker, delivering rich midbass and deep bass for impactful sound.
Enhanced Power Port: Traditional bass ports make noise (chuff) and mask the low frequency bass notes you want to hear. The new enhanced Power Port design smoothly transitions air flow from the speaker into your listening area for louder, cleaner bass while minimizing turbulence, distortion, and port noise. Polk engineers worked tirelessly, fine-tuning the Enhanced Power Port to smoothly transition airflow from the speaker. You get what your music and soundtracks demand - tighter, louder and cleaner bass that can be heard and felt. The L600 floorstanding utilizes a large down-firing Enhanced Power Port.
Carefully Engineered Cabinet: The Polk Legend Series utilizes MDF/wood veneer speaker cabinets that are internally braced and carefully engineered to minimize unwanted internal standing waves and eliminate unwanted resonances. The result is a cabinet that rigidly holds the drivers while faithfully reproducing movie and music soundtracks. The speaker cabinet is available in a black or walnut finish.
Magnetic Grille: The Polk L600 includes an anti-diffraction magnetic grille for unaltered sound. The integrated magnets make it easy to attach and remove the grille from the floorstanding loudspeaker.
Speaker Terminals: The Polk L600 is equipped with dual binding post terminals for the high, mid, and low frequency drivers. It also features a set of dedicated binding post terminals for integrating Polk's L900 height speaker module (sold separately) on top of the floorstanding loudspeaker.
- Dual Binding Posts: The Polk L600 is equipped with two sets of sturdy binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (16-10AWG). If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
- Height Speaker Terminals: There are height speaker terminals on the back of the L600 for connecting the Height/Elevation channels of a Dolby Atmos/DTS:X enabled AV receiver when integrating the Polk L900 height speaker module (sold separately) on top of the L800 speaker. The high speaker terminals consist of binding posts that will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (16-10AWG). There is also an internal speaker cable terminated by a two-pin Phoenix connector for connecting the Polk L900 height speaker module with the L600 floorstanding speaker. The Height Speaker Terminals will not be used, unless you are integrating the Polk L900 height speaker module.
Rubber or Spike Feet: The Polk L600 comes with rubber and spike feet for a variety of flooring. The spike feet should be used on carpet floors, while the rubber feet are designed for hardwood, vinyl, laminate, and tile floors. The feet will need to be screwed into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. The rubber feet come installed on the spikes. In order to expose the spikes, simply pull the rubber feet off. The feet are adjustable so you can level or angle the speaker to your preference. The feet can be adjusted from the top of the floorstanding loudspeaker's integrated plinth (base) using the included hex-key.
Note: Make sure to always utilize either the spike or rubber feet for optimum sound quality and maximum stability.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Polk Legend Series L600 floorstanding loudspeaker can be used as front and/or rear speakers in a home theater application, or as a stereo pair in a dedicated 2ch system setup.
- In a 2ch stereo setup or as front speakers in a home theater application, you'll get the most realistic stereo image by placing a pair of speakers as far apart as your listeners are sitting from them. You may choose to angle the speakers toward the middle to support a more solid center image
- You can use a pair of floorstanding speakers as rear surround speakers in a home theater setup. Ideal rear channel surround speaker placement is along a side wall, slightly behind the listening position. If you cannot place rear surrounds along the side walls, position them along the rear wall of listening position.
Applications: The L600 can be used in a dedicated 2ch stereo setup, as well as the front stage and/or side and rear surrounds in a home theater setup. Add Polk's L900 height speaker module (sold separately) to elevate your sound and create an immersive 3D surround sound for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and IMAX Enhanced soundtracks. You can also add one of Polk's powered subwoofers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for bigger, deeper, and more impactful bass when listening to your favorite movie and music soundtracks.
Legend Series: The Legend Series is a cumulation of more than 45 years of speaker innovation and research by Polk. The Legend Series by Polk delivers exceptional imaging, incredible detail, and impactful bass response for stereo and home theater applications. The Legend Series features Polk's new Pinnacle tweeter, Turbine cone, Enhanced Power Port design, and SDA-PRO technology (L800 model only). Polk's Legend Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (L600 / L800), two bookshelf loudspeakers (L100 / L200), a center-channel loudspeaker (L400), and a height speaker module (L900) - all sold separately.
Warranty Information: The Polk Legend Series loudspeakers are covered by a best-in-class 5-year limited warranty. When you register your product on the Polk Audio website, you'll receive a free, non-transferable, 5-year warranty extension.
4 questions already asked