About the Polk Audio MagniFi MAX SR
Surround sound made easy
The wireless sub and surrounds make setup simple — they just need AC power.
Surround sound made easy
A common thread in our customer reviews for this Polk system is the ease of setup and use. In almost no time at all (and with minimal wires), you too can have true 5.1 home theater surround sound. With the MagniFi MAX SR you get a streamlined sound bar with a seven driver array, a powerful wireless sub, and two wireless surrounds for a truly immersive experience.
You also get 4K pass-through, plenty of connectivity options, and a few cables to boot (HDMI, optical digital, and stereo minijack to be precise). Even the wall-mount brackets are included, though you'll need to buy the appropriate fasteners for your wall type in order to use them.
Simple, yet powerful remote control
This unassuming remote is actually fairly full of cool features. You have independent bass control, surround sound volume and balance, and Polk's patented VoiceAdjust technology for crystal-clear dialogue. And if you'd rather not have to think too much about it, there are five sound-optimizing EQ presets: movie, sports, night, music, and all stereo.
The first three are fairly obvious to pick out, but you have to go deep into the manual to learn that the music note button actually toggles between the All Stereo and Music modes. This might resolve the issue some of our customers had with the sound quality of two-channel audio.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The MagniFi MAX SR is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- Featured in our article: Best wireless surround sound systems for 2023
- 5.1-channel sound bar system with wireless subwoofer and surround speakers
- allows pass-through of 4K content and HDR content
- works with Google Home voice controller
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- slim design is ideal for placing below a TV on a stand
- wall-mountable (mounting brackets included)
- 180 watts of amplification
- seven built-in drivers:
- four 3"x1" full-range drivers
- two 3/4" tweeters
- one 1" midrange driver
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- Polk's SDA® (Stereo Dimensional Array) surround technology offers a 5.1 home theater experience
- Polk VoiceAdjust™ technology helps keep dialogue intelligible, with adjustable center channel level
- 43"W x 2-1/8"H x 3-13/16"D
- weight: 6.05 lbs.
Wireless music options:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi for smooth wireless music streaming
- Google Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- supported apps include Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, TIDAL, and TuneIn radio
- Spotify Connect compatible
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
Wireless SR1 rear speakers (each):
- 30-watt (peak) built-in amplifier
- one built-in 3" driver
- connects wirelessly to sound bar
- threaded insert and keyhole hanger for optional wall-mounting
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 160-watt (continuous) built-in amplifier
- down-firing 8" woofer
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- subwoofer volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- 12-1/8"W x 14-9/16"H x 14-5/8"D
- weight: 13.5 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output (6-1/2' cable included)
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- HDMI connections support 3D/4K video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- supported HDR formats: HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- optical digital audio input (6' cable included)
- 3.5mm analog minijack aux input (6' mini-to-mini cable included)
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- wall-mount brackets included (hardware not included)
- remote control
- warranty: 3 years (speakers); 1 year (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM8414-A
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- 2 Wireless surround speakers (SR1)
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two AC power adapters attached 9.75' DC cord)
- 58" AC power cord
- 69" AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 6' Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- Wall-Mount Template (for soundbar)
- Wall-Mount Template (for surround speakers)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Product Information
- Online Registration Card
Polk Audio MagniFi MAX SR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio MagniFi MAX SR
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||5.1|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||1"x3" Oval Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||8" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||35-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||180|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||via Chromecast|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-1/8H x 43W x 3-13/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.05 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||14-9/16H x 12-1/8W x 14-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13.5 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Polk MagniFi Max SR features a low-profile, slim-design soundbar speaker. The soundbar speaker is equipped with a seven speaker array which consists of two 0.75" tweeters, one 1" midrange driver, and four 1"x3" oval-cone full-range drivers, all powered by a 180W (RMS)/360W (Peak) built-in amplifier for dynamic sound. Twin side-firing ports aid in low frequency response.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered subwoofer reproduces deep bass impact that you can feel from your movie and music soundtracks. It houses a down-firing 8" woofer, down-firing bass port, and built-in 160W (RMS)/320W (Peak) amplifier. You can independently adjust the wireless powered sub's bass level from the rest of the system's overall volume level.
Wireless Surround Speakers: The Polk MagniFi Max SR comes with two Polk SR1 wireless rear speakers to create a truly immersive, multi-dimensional 5.1 surround sound experience. Each wireless speaker features a 3" mid-woofer with built-in amplifier.
Proprietary Polk Technologies: Featuring Polk's patented SDA surround sound and Voice Adjust technologies, the MagniFi Max SR soundbar speaker system produces an immersive listening experience.
- SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array): Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) surround technology creates an expansive multi-dimensional soundstage and detailed stereo image. SDA both heightens and widens the soundstage providing an immersive room-filling sound without sacrificing clarity. SDA also compliments Dolby & DTS encoded content creating an incredible cinematic experience.
- Voice Adjust: Voice Adjust technology dramatically increases vocal clarity and volume level for crystal clear dialog no matter what you're watching. You can customize the voice levels in the soundbar however you prefer to reproduce clear, crisp dialog and never miss a single word of your favorite movie, TV show, or sporting event.
Optimized EQ Presets: EQ settings for Movies, Music, All Stereo, Sports, and Night optimize the soundbar and subwoofer to ensure you get the clearest dialog, big surround sound, and deep bass for the best audio and home theater experience regardless of what you are watching or if you are watching late at night.
- Movie: Acoustically optimized for both movie and TV soundtracks. It also provides a bass boost, increased spatialization and enhances Voice Adjust levels for improved dialog clarity. It is the default sound mode for HDMI and Optical input sources.
- Music: Music mode gives you balanced sound and smoother bass while minimizing spatialization effects to ensure more natural sound reproduction.
- All Stereo: All Stereo mode provides room-filling sound by mirroring the front left and right channels to the surround left and right speakers.
- Sports: Enhances dialog-rich content, like sporting events, news casts, and talk shows.
- Night: Reduces bass and volume dynamics while improving voice intelligibility for low-volume listening.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Polk MagniFi Max SR soundbar speaker system will decode Dolby Digital & DTS audio (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI and Optical digital inputs. 2ch PCM audio is also supported through HDMI, Optical, and stereo minijack.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the MagniFi Max through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your TV. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital 5.1ch & 2ch PCM.
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player, satellite/cable box, and game system to the soundbar system's HDMI inputs directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Polk MagniFi Max SR soundbar system provides a digital (optical) input and analog minijack (3.5mm) input for connectivity to your TV or other source components. You should make sure to turn your TV speakers off or set to "0."
- Optical Digital Input: The soundbar features a single optical (toslink) digital input to connect your flat-panel TV. The optical input can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1ch program material. The soundbar's digital input also supports 2-channel PCM.
- Stereo Minijack Input: The soundbar is equipped with an analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your television (which may lack an optical digital output). If your TV is equipped with stereo RCA outputs, you will need a stereo minijack-to-RCA adapter cable (sold separately).
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
HDMI 2.0a: Featuring three HDMI inputs and one HDMI ARC output, the Polk MagniFi Max SR incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K Ultra HD video pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR) video, and HDCP 2.2 compatibility.
Note: There are no analog video inputs or outputs.
4K Pass-Through: The MagniFi Max SR supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The MagniFi Max SR supports two types of HDR formats - HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the soundbar and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision utilizes dynamic metadata which adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. Dolby Vision supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits.
Note: The system does not support the HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) HDR format.
HDCP 2.2 Compliant: All of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI jacks are HDCP 2.2 compatible which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
Network Connection: The Polk MagniFi Max SR offers built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for a wireless or wired connection to your home's network router. By connecting to your home's network, the MagniFi Max SR will support Chromecast Built-in, so you can wirelessly stream many of your favorite music apps from your Apple iOS or Android device, Mac computer, or Windows PC to the soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 4.0+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the MagniFi Max SR soundbar speaker system. Chromecast built-in certified apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, YouTube Music, & iHeart Radio (click here for a complete list of compatible apps - subscription fees may apply). Chromecast built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your smartphone or tablet, so you don't lose any sound quality. Additional Chromecast built-in features include -
- Simple-to-Use: Chromecast built-in allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast Built-in compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.0.3+), you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (sold separately) or other Google Home Assistant compatible speaker (see Accessories tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The MagniFi Max SR & the Google Home Assistant device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk MagniFi Max SR soundbar system supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the soundbar speaker system. Basic playback control (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Volume Up/Down) can be done from the included IR remote. You will continue to use your Bluetooth source device for advance music navigation and to view song/artist information.
Note: The MagniFi Max SR does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Polk MagniFi Max SR soundbar speaker system. There are also several ways to use your TV, cable, or satellite remote to control the MagniFi Max SR system.
- HDMI CEC: If your TV is connected to the MagnFi Max via HDMI and your TV supports HDMI CEC, you can control the volume and mute functions of the soundbar speaker system from your TV's remote control.
- Polk Smart Remote Technology: Polk Smart Remote technology allows for most Samsung, LG, Vizio, and Sony TV remotes to control the MagniFi Max's volume and mute functions right out of the box (no programming required). TV must be manufactured within the last 5 years.
- IR Learning Function: If you have another brand of television that is not listed above, or you have a cable or satellite receiver, you can also program the MagniFi Max SR soundbar speaker system to respond to one of these remotes (remote functions include - Power, Volume, and Mute).
Top-Panel Controls: The following controls are found on top of the soundbar speaker - Power, Source, Volume, Mute, Voice Adjust, and Bluetooth Pairing.
Mounting Options: The Polk MagniFi Max SR offers flexible mounting options for the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer.
- The soundbar speaker should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The soundbar can simply be placed on a tabletop, stand, or shelf (integrated rubber feet provide secure placement). The soundbar can also be mounted to the wall using the included wall-mount brackets (mounting screws not included). The unique wall-mounting system provides horizontal adjustment to ensure the soundbar remains level and centered under your TV.
- The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 30' from soundbar). Ideally, the powered sub should be placed along the same wall as the soundbar speaker. Placing the powered subwoofer in a corner will increase its bass response even more.
- The wireless surround speaker can be simply placed on a stand, shelf, or table-top. You can also wall-mount the wireless surround speakers using the built-in keyhole slots (mounting screws not included). In addition, each speaker includes a 1/4"-20 threaded insert for use with articulating wall-mount brackets (sold separately). Theses speakers are designed to be mounted horizontally (not vertically) and are marked "Left" & "Right". Left/Right balance controls allow for asymmetrical placement.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker, wireless powered sub, and two wireless surround speakers will all require an AC power outlet. The soundbar speaker includes an AC power adapter with attached 58" DC cord and a detachable 58" AC power cord. The powered sub comes with a detachable 69" AC power cord. Each wireless surround speaker comes with an AC power adapter with attached 9.75' DC cord.
29 questions already asked