About the Polk Monitor XT12
Powerful bass from a big 12" woofer
Powerful bass from a big 12" woofer
The Polk Monitor XT12 delivers deep, low-frequency rumble with a big 12" woofer and ported enclosure. This powered subwoofer hits notes all the way down to 24 Hz, right at the edge of human hearing, adding impact and immersion to your favorite movies and video games. It can also rock for music, laying down bass to help drive the rhythm in your tunes.
Versatile connections and controls
The XT12 has a simple set of controls and flexible connections. You get both line-level RCA and speaker-level inputs for compatibility with most home audio systems. Fine-tune the sub's output using its variable low pass filter and phase switch.
Updating a classic for home theater
This subwoofer is a key player in the Monitor XT Series of home speakers. Polk's popular Monitor line has a history going all the way back to 1974, helping put Polk on the map with its powerful, value-packed performance. The XT12 embraces the classic design of the Monitor Series with a large enclosure and woofer that delivers effortless bass at an attractive price point.
- 12" long-throw, high-excursion driver
- bi-laminate paper woofer with foam surround
- built-in 50-watt RMS Class AB amplifier (100-watt peak)
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- braced MDF cabinet minimizes resonance for clean bass
- frequency response: 24-160 Hz
- low-pass crossover: 80-160 Hz
- phase switch: 0/180°
- line-level stereo RCA input
- spring clip speaker-level input and output
- engineered and designed in the USA
- 16-1/16"W x 16-7/16"H x 19-1/16"D
- weight: 39 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (woofer), 3 years (amplifier)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 300414-01-00-101
What's in the box:
- Black powered subwoofer
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Online registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Monitor XT12
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Bi-laminate paper|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||80-160 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||50|
|Frequency Response||24-160 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
12" Dynamic Balance Woofer: The Polk Monitor MXT12 powered subwoofer features a front-firing 12" bi-laminate paper cone woofer with foam surround that offers long-throw and high-excursion capability for deep and accurate bass. The woofer has been engineered using Polk's perfected Dynamic Balance method of analyzing a driver's microscopic behavior with laser Interferometry. Polk engineers can tune out unwanted resonance and distortion with the right combination of materials, geometry and construction techniques. The result is clear, distortion-free bass.
50 Watt (RMS) Amplifier: The 12" Dynamic Balance woofer is powered by a clean and ultra-efficient 50 watt (RMS) / 100 watt (Peak) Class A/B amplifier to deliver powerful, effortless bass for movie, music, and gaming soundtracks that is immersive and impactful.
Bass Reflex MDF Cabinet: The 12" Dynamic Balance woofer is housed in a critically braced MDF cabinet to isolate the sound of the woofer while minimizing unwanted resonances and sonic interference. This rigid, low-resonance cabinet utilizes a Bass Reflex design with a rear-firing port to increase its efficiency and deliver bigger, louder bass response with low distortion. The powered subwoofer's enclosure also features a removable, precision-fit cloth grille. The cabinet's rubber feet are non-removable and permanently installed (no leveling option).
with a removable, precision-fit grille
Rear-Panel Controls: The Polk Monitor MXT12 powered sub features an independent volume control, a consistently variable low-pass crossover, plus a polarity switch to blend the massive bass it provides seamlessly with the rest of your speaker system.
- Volume Level: The rotary volume knob adjusts the volume of the powered sub relative to the other speakers in the system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your receiver, amp, or preamp will be the volume control for both the Polk powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The variable low-pass filter is adjustable from 80-160 Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Switch: The phase switch allows you to select 0-degrees (normal) or 180-degrees (reverse). If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, toggling the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass attack.
Connections: The Polk Monitor MXT12 powered subwoofer is outfitted with a stereo RCA/LFE line-level input, as well as speaker-level inputs and outputs to connect to your receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier.
- RCA/LFE Input: The powered subwoofer has left and right RCA line-level inputs. These inputs are for use with receivers, amplifiers, and preamplifier featuring stereo pre-amp line outputs or an LFE subwoofer output. If your receiver, amp, or preamp only has a single subwoofer line output or a LFE out, then utilizes the left RCA input. When utilizing the LFE out of your AV receiver or preamplifier, the low pass crossover of the MXT12 should be set to 160Hz.
- Speaker-Level Input/Output: The powered sub has spring-clips for the speaker level input and output. The subwoofer's low-pass filter takes the low frequencies (based on the setting of the filter) and passes a full-range signal out to the speakers. This is the recommended method of connecting the subwoofer with a satellite speaker system.
Placement Options: Placing the Polk Monitor MXT12 powered subwoofer in the optimal location provides a more dramatic effect on the performance of the bass output.
- Single Subwoofer Setup: For a single subwoofer setup, Polk recommends positioning the subwoofer on either side of and along the same wall as the front speakers. Placing the subwoofer in the middle of the listening area will not provide the most optimal sound and may decrease the amount of bass output you experience. For the best sound and minimal distortion, the subwoofer should be positioned approximately 6" from the wall.
- Dual Subwoofer Setup: When using two powered subwoofers, choose a location in either corner of the same wall as your front speakers and position the second or multiple subwoofers in an opposite diagonal position as the first subwoofer. Ensure each subwoofer is at least 6" from the wall. This will ensure the best listening experience.
3-Way Power Switch: The MXT12 powered sub has a 3-way power switch on the rear-panel. You can select Auto, which turns the unit on automatically when an input signal is received and off a few minutes after the signal stops; On, which keeps the unit on until it is switched off, and Off, which turns the unit completely off (instead of placing it in a standby mode). The LED power indicator glows green when the unit is on and red when the unit is off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Polk Monitor MXT12 comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord (2-prong) that will need to be plugged into the back of the powered subwoofer and into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).