About the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 5000 Instant Home Theater
Put the "action" back in "action movie"
Put the "action" back in "action movie"
When the star of your favorite Western flick draws and fires his six-shooter, does it sound more like a pea shooter? When the ravenous T. Rex storms across the screen, does your household pet yawn and watch lazily? If your TV's built-in speakers are sapping the energy and excitement from your favorite movies, shows, and video games, there's an easy fix. Polk Audio's SurroundBar 5000 Instant Home Theater upgrades the sound of your TV with a slim sound bar (just 2-1/4" deep) and a wireless subwoofer you can place anywhere in your room.
The SurroundBar 5000's slim profile makes it a great match for your wall-mounted TV.
Setup is simple. Use the provided optical digital cable to connect to your HDTV, game console, or Blu-ray player. Or you can connect older analog TVs and A/V sources via the sound bar's two stereo minijack inputs (adapter not included). The included subwoofer features a down-firing 6-1/2" driver for punchy bass, but best of all it's wireless, so all you have to do is plug it into an AC outlet, and you're good to go. Another nice touch: this system can learn the volume commands from your existing TV remote, so that's one less you'll have to keep track of.
Bluetooth® wireless music streaming
Plan to spend any quality time with your favorite tunes? The SurroundBar 5000's built-in Bluetooth makes it easy. You can pair the system with any Bluetooth-compatible smartphone, tablet, or portable music player to stream your favorite songs wirelessly — great for those times when you want to play DJ with the music on your iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™ device. And the system even has advanced aptX® audio coding, which means you'll get CD-quality streaming when you use a device with this Bluetooth standard.
- two 2-1/2" full-range drivers
- 80 watts x 2
- built-in Bluetooth® wireless technology streams music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and music players
- aptX® audio coding allows CD-quality Bluetooth streaming from compatible devices
- built-in Dolby® Digital decoding
- dual tuned port enclosure for smoother blending between sound bar and subwoofer
- built-in keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting
- 31"W x 3-15/16"H x 2-1/2"D
- 120-watt amplifier
- can be placed anywhere in the room
- 6-1/2" down-firing woofer
- flared "J-port" helps the sub deliver deep, low-distortion bass
- 10-1/4"W x 10"H x 11-9/16"D
- optical digital input for connection to your TV, Blu-ray player, or gaming console (cable included)
- two 3.5mm stereo minijack inputs for analog sources
- frequency response 40-20,000 Hz
- credit card-style remote included
- warranty: 3 years for the speakers, 1 year for electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM1500-A
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power supply (with attached 5' DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- IR wireless remote control (with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery)
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 8" minijack-to-RCA adapter (with a female 3.5mm connector on one end and stereo male RCA connectors on other end)
- 69" Stereo minijack cable (with a right-angle male 3.5mm connector on one end and a male straight 3.5mm connector on other end)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Important Notes
- User Guide note
- Online Product Registration
- Polk Audio brochure
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 5000 Instant Home Theater reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 5000 Instant Home Theater
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||3D Audio|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||---|
|HDMI eARC Input||---|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||2|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||160|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||180|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||---|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||---|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||No|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||---|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||3-15/16H x 31W x 2-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||10H x 10-1/4W x 11-9/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||7 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Instant Home Theater (IHT): The Polk Audio SurroundBar 5000 Instant Home Theater (IHT) is a complete 2.1-channel home theater system comprised of a single self-powered speaker, a wireless powered subwoofer, and an IR remote control. The SurroundBar 5000 IHT utilizes two Polk 3D Audio technologies (Polk Digital Logic and SDA Surround) to deliver richer, fuller sound (with no rear speakers) to your flat-panel TV from a compact system with no complex hook-up or set-up.
3D Audio: Polk Audio's 3D Audio combines two groundbreaking, patented technologies to produce an audio environment that can only be described as 3-dimensional. Combining Polk Audio's proprietary SDA Surround technology and Polk Digital Logic processing technology produces a rich, enveloping listening experience. It reaches out beyond your TV screen to put you in the center of the action.
- Polk Digital Logic: The SurroundBar 5000 Instant Home Theater utilizes Polk Digital Logic (Polk's proprietary DSP programming) to deliver big, crisp sonic performance with no complicated setup or calibration. Through Polk Digital Logic, the SurroundBar 5000 IHT's sound is created independent of any room boundaries. Polk Digital Logic helps to maintain a solid center channel for clear, intelligible dialogue and Polk's signature warm & full sound.
- SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) Surround: Polk's patented SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) Surround technology is based on fundamental research into the way our ears process sound and perceive the direction of sounds. It uses a patented combination of signal processing and acoustical geometry that complements the spacing between your ears to produce a wide sound stage without the need for rear mounted speakers. Since the SurroundBar works directly with the hearing mechanism and requires no special room characteristics, it can deliver a room-filling surround experience in nearly any location in almost any type of room
Self-Powered SurroundBar: The self-powered surroundbar features two 2.5"" full-range composite cone drivers powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier. The speaker itself is lightweight in part because of the neodymium magnet structures in the drivers. The surroundbar features a black plastic bass-reflex enclosure with two rear-firing ports and a non-removable metal grille. The surroundbar can be placed on a tabletop or wall-mounted. It provides analog and digital audio connections to your television. The surroundbar requires AC power.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer features a down-firing 6.5" woofer in a bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with a down-firing J-port. The 6.5" woofer is powered by a built-in 120 watt amplifier. The wireless powered subwoofer receives it audio signal wirelessly from the system's surroundbar, so there is no subwoofer cable to connect. The wireless powered subwoofer requires AC power.
Bluetooth Audio w/ aptX: The Polk Audio SurrounBar 5000 IHT features built-in Bluetooth (A2DP) with aptX audio coding in order to wirelessly deliver CD-quality sound from your Apple device (iPod/iPhone/iPad), Android smartphone/tablet, or other compatible device to the soundbar system. You can pair up to 8 Bluetooth devices with the Surround Bar 5000 IHT (but only one can be playing at a time). You will continue to control your Bluetooth audio enabled device from the device itself (no control from the surroundbar or remote).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Polk SurroundBar 5000 IHT.
System Controls: The SurroundBar 5000 IHT offers the following system functions; Power, SurroundBar Volume, Subwoofer Volume, Source Selection, and Mute. You can control these functions from the SurroundBar's touch-sensitive controls, included remote control, or your TV's remote control.
- Touch-Sensitive Controls: The touch-sensitive buttons on the front of the surroundbar offers easy operation of the system.
- Remote Control: The included IR wireless remote control provides wireless operation of the system.
- Program TV Remote: You can program the SurroundBar 5000 IHT to respond to your TV's remote.
Sync: The Sync button is located on the back-panel of the SurroundBar. If the wireless subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal from the SurroundBar, press the Sync button to regain system connection.
Wireless Connection: The SurroundBar and powered subwoofer communicate with one another wirelessly. The SurroundBar sends the low-pass audio signal from your TV or connected source to the powered subwoofer wirelessly over an RF frequency. The SurroundBar and powered subwoofer come from the factory preset to work together. If the wireless subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal from the SurroundBar, there is a sync button on back of the SurroundBar to press to regain system connection.
Analog & Digital Connections: The surroundbar features one optical digital input and two stereo 3.5mm inputs to connect the system to your flat-panel TV.
- Analog Connections: The surroundbar is equipped with two analog 3.5mm stereo inputs to connect your television (which may lack an optical digital output). If your TV is equipped with stereo RCA outputs, a minijack-to-RCA adapter is provided. The additional 3.5mm stereo input can be used to connect another audio device, such as your MP3 player.
- Digital Connection: The surroundbar also features an optical digital input to connect your flat-panel TV with an optical digital output (optical digital cable included). The surroundbar supports 2-channel PCM & Dolby Digital through its optical digital input.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Surroundbar Placement: The surroundbar should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The lightweight easy-to-mount single speaker can be placed on a tabletop or wall-mounted. It can sit on a flat surface because of its integrated rubber feet that enable it to rest securely. If your TV is wall-mounted, the surroundbar can be mounted right beneath it using the speaker's integrated keyhole slots (x2) on the rear-panel. The keyhole slots are spaced 19.75" apart. It is magnetically shielded for placement on or near any type of video monitor.
Wireless Subwoofer Placement: The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the surroundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 50' from surroundbar). It only requires plugging into an AC outlet.
Power Supply: Both the surroundbar and wireless powered subwoofer require an AC outlet connection using the supplied AC power supply and AC power cords.
Auto Power: When their master power switches are left on, the amplifiers in both the surroundbar and subwoofer turn on automatically when the surroundbar receives an audio signal. Both amplifiers turn off after approximately 15 minutes without an audio signal.
7 questions already asked