About the Infinity REF1270
Quality and versatility
Quality and versatility
Ever since Infinity began making speakers, they've been known for quality and great sound. These Reference Series subwoofers also put the spotlight on versatility, with the ability to vary the sub's impedance with the flip of a switch.
Handles up to 275 watts
Infinity's Reference Series REF1270 12" sub sports a 2" diameter voice coil for good power handling, while airflow from the cone's movement cools the voice coil for increased reliability.
This sub features a polypropylene cone for enhanced stiffness, along with a surround that'll stand up to the abuses of life in an automobile. The stamped steel basket provides a stable home so this sub can play accurately at high levels. The REF1270 handles up to 275 watts RMS (1100 watts peak), and works equally well in sealed or ported enclosures, another example of its versatility.
The sub's Selectable Smart Impedance (SSI™) switch allows you to change impedance from 2 ohms to 4 ohms, so you can optimize the sub for your system and the amplifier. This feature makes it easy to reconfigure your system when you add another Reference Series subwoofer or upgrade your amplifier.
To drive this single subwoofer, we recommend a mono amplifier rated between 200 and 400 watts RMS at 2 or 4 ohms. For more information, please refer to our article on How to Match Subwoofers and Amplifiers.
- 12" component subwoofer
- switchable 2- or 4-ohm impedance
- polypropylene cone
- nitrile rubber surround
- power handling: 275 watts RMS (1100 watts peak)
- frequency response: 25-175 Hz
- sensitivity (2.83V at 1 meter): 93 dB
- mounting depth: 5-13/16"
- sealed box volume: 0.75 cubic feet
- ported box volume: 2.5 cubic feet
- grille not included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # REFERENCE 1270
What's in the box:
- One 12" Woofer
- Owner's manual (English/ French/ Spanish/ German/ fourteen other languages)
More details on the Infinity REF1270
Features & specs
|Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet)||0.75|
|Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet)||2.5|
|Port diameter (inches)||4|
|Port length (inches)||11.7|
|Dual Voice Coil||No|
93 dB at 2.83 volts |
|Frequency Response||25 - 175 Hz|
|Max RMS Power Handling||275|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||1100|
|Top Mount Depth (inches)||6 1/2|
|Bottom Mount Depth (inches)||N/A|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||11 5/16|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Selectable Smart Impedance (SSI): A switch on the input terminal allows you to easily change the woofer's impedance between 2Ω and 4Ω settings. (The connected amplifier should be off when changing the impedance.) The power handling is the same for either setting; 275 watts RMS/1100 watts peak.
- Sealed Box Volume: 0.75 ft³
- Ported Box Volume: 2.5 ft³ with one 4" diameter x 11.7" long port (tuned to 30 Hz)
- Free-Air: The woofer can also be mounted in free air to a baffle board (infinite baffle, no enclosure). When mounted in free air, the power handling is reduced by half (to 137-1/2 watts RMS).
- Band-Pass: Infinity also recommends a prefabricated band-pass enclosure, but no volume specifications are listed in the manual. Band-pass enclosures often provide the most output available from any amplifier and subwoofer combination, but at the expense of sonic accuracy.
Thiele-Small Parameters: Some of the parameters change based on the impedance setting:
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?