About the JBL Arena 8IC
Enjoy spacious overhead effects
Enjoy spacious overhead effects
JBL's unique woofer and tweeter design provides detailed sound for TV, movies, and music.
Want immersive overhead sound effects without taking up any floor or shelf space? JBL's Arena 8IC is an excellent choice for your home theater's surround or Atmos channels.
You can also use this stealthy in-ceiling speaker as part of a custom-installed stereo music system. You'll enjoy full-bodied bass from the 8" woofer, and smooth highs from the 1" silk dome tweeter.
Born from JBL's storied audio heritage
The Arena series' rich, distinctive sound was modeled after JBL's legendary M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the best speakers they ever created. JBL's proprietary HDI waveguide helps this speaker deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
Match your décor
The 8IC combines detailed performance with a sleek design. The low-profile grille is magnetic, so attaching it to the speaker is a breeze. It's also paintable, so you can match it to your room's décor.
The zero-bezel edge means no bulk around the sides of the grille, making it virtually disappear into your ceiling.
JBL's rotating-cam design makes your in-ceiling installation go smoother. Once you have the 8IC in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the ceiling material.
If this is a do-it-yourself installation, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- 8" polycellulose woofer
- 1" silk dome tweeter
- frequency response: 30-20,000 Hz
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS
- 8-ohm impedance
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- includes paintable magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- cutout diameter: 9-5/8"
- overall diameter: 10-3/4"
- mounting depth: 5-1/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARENA8ICAM
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout Template
- Instruction Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Arena 8IC
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 100|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The JBL Arena 8IC in-ceiling loudspeaker utilizes a two-way driver design that features a 1" silk dome tweeter and 8" polycellulose woofer for immersive, room-filling, full-range sound. The 1" silk dome tweeter features and integrated waveguide that provides optimized response both on and off axix to ensure smooth and even coverage across the listening position. The 8" polycellulose long-throw woofer with rubber surround provides high output and low distortion for clear, detailed midrange and midbass. the low end energy to immerse you in room-filling sound. A high-order crossover network delivers smooth and accurate transition between the tweeter and woofer for natural sound reproduction.
Spring Post Terminals: The JBL Arena 8IC in-ceilling speaker is outfitted with a pair of spring post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual). The spring posts are color-coded for easy identification between positive (red) and negative (black).
- For wire lengths of less than 50', you can use at least 16-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 12-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 10-gauge in-wall rated speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-ceiling applications.
Low-Profile Magnetic Grille: The low-profile, zero-bezel magnetically attached grille allows the JBL Arena 8IC in-ceiling loudspeaker to discreetly blend into practically any decor. The grille comes in a white finish, but can be painted to match the color of your ceiling. The low-profile mangetic grille only protrudes 0.25" from the ceiling.
Mounting Options: The JBL Arena 8IC in-ceiling speaker employs a proprietary XL-2 mounting system with four mounting clamps that secure the loudspeaker to the ceiling. The Arena 8IC requires a round cutout that measures 9.625" (diameter) x 5.0625" (depth). There will need to be at least 1" of clearance around the inside of the cutout to accommodate the mounting clamps. The mounting clamps can accommodate 0.5" to 2" drywall, plywood, and other ceiling material board.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Arena 8IC in-ceiling loudspeaker has been designed & built to deliver great sound in home theater, stereo, and distributed audio applications.
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed audio is general sound throughout an area, place the in-ceiling speakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right speakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations.To avoid "hot-spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more speakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
- 2Ch Stereo: In a 2-channel stereo application, pace the left and right speakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right speakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left, center and front right speakers should be centered relative to the video display. The front left and front right speakers should be relatively close to the sides of the video display, while the center speaker should be aligned with the center of the video display. The front left, center, and front right speakers should also be closer to the video display than to the main listening area. The surround speakers should be as far from the main listening area as possible but at least 2" from the side and rear walls.