- 5.1-channel sound bar and subwoofer system
- system frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz
- built-in Bluetooth, Chromecast, and Apple AirPlay 2 for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- built-in room calibration microphone
- 5-channel sound bar with seven total drivers
- 5 racetrack-shaped front-firing full-range drivers
- 2 side-firing 1-1/4" dome tweeters
- built-in amplifiers: 50 watts x 5
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- wall-mountable (brackets included)
- 40-1/8"W x 2-5/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 6.28 lbs.
- 10" down-firing woofer
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- powered by 300-watt built-in amplifier
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 12-1/16"W x 17-5/16"H x 13-5/8"D
- weight: 23.41 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI input
- 1 Audio Return Channel-capable HDMI output
- cable included
- Ultra HD 4K pass-through with support for Dolby Vision™
- 1 optical digital audio input
- USB port for connecting a thumb drive
- Ethernet port for wired connection to home network
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBL2GBAR51IMBLKAM
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- Two 59" AC power cords
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Thumb-screws
- 2 Self-tapping screws
- 2 Anchors
- Quick-Start Guide
- Wall-Mount Template
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Bar 5.1 Surround
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1.25" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||Oval Cone (5)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Voice Control||Google Assistant optional|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Control by App||N|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.2|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||125|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||150|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-5/16H x 40-1/8W x 3-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.28 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||17-5/16H x 12-1/16W x 13-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||23.41 lbs|
JBL MultiBeam Soundbar: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround is equipped with five front-firing oval "racetrack" full-range drivers and two side-firing 1.25" dome tweeters powered by a 250-watt (Max) amplifier. The active soundbar speaker utilizes this unique front- and side-firing driver configuration, along with JBL's proprietary MultiBeam technology to create room-filling, panoramic surround sound without the need for additional rear speakers.
Wireless Powered Sub: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround's wireless powered sub features a down-firing 10" woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port. A built-in 300 watt (Peak) amplifier is used to drive the 10" woofer and deliver deep, impactful bass. Because the powered sub is wireless, it puts no unsightly cables between the soundbar and subwoofer (still requires a AC power cord connection). You can adjust the bass level (0-20) of the powered sub from the included IR remote.
HDMI 2.0 Connectivity: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround is equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output. Both, the HDMI input and output support the HDMI 2.0 specification with ultra high-definition 4K video pass-through, HDCP 2.2 compatibility, ARC, & Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch).
- 4K Pass-Through: The BAR 5.1 Surround lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by both the HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the BAR 5.1 through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Dolby Digital: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround is able to decode Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI input and HDMI output (not compatible with DTS).
- The HDMI input and output are not compatible with HDR (High Dynamic Range) video formats
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input of many televisions only sends an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch). The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Note: This soundbar is not compatible with DTS. It is not equipped with an analog audio input.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround features a USB (type-A) 2.0 port for connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. You'll be able to playback MP3 and WAV music files stored on a USB MSC device (formatted in FAT 16/FAT32) through the JBL soundbar system. The system can recognize up to 2,000 MP3 files. The soundbard does not offer playback control or song/arist/album info display. The USB port can also be used to charge (5V/1A) your connected device.
- Supported MP3 Files: 16kHz-48kHz sampling rate with 80kbps-320kbps bitrate.
- Supported WAV Files: 16kHz-48kHz sampling rate with up to a 3000kbps bitrate.
Note: The USB port does not support Apple iOS or Android OS device playback.
Network & Bluetooth Audio
Wireless or Wired Network Connection: To enjoy AirPlay 2 and Chromecast built-in, you will need to connect the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround to your home network. The actived soundbar speaker system is equipped with 2.4GHz/5GHZ dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a high-performance wireless network connection. There is also an Ethernet jack if you prefer a hardwired network connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the JBL soundbar system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the soundbar. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the JBL soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround. You'll be able to cast many of your favorite internet radio stations, online music services, and podcast to the JBL actived sound bar speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the JBL soundbar speaker system. Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround active soundbar speaker system.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play, iHeart Radio, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional JBL Link Series and other Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
- Optional Voice Control: With a Google Home voice-activated speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), you can use your voice to control playback of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP 1.3). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the soundbar speaker system. You will still use your Bluetooth source device for playback control and to view song/artist/album info. You can pair multiple Bluetooth devices with the BAR 5.1 Surround, but only one device can be used for playback at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
Note: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Remote Control: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround comes with an IR remote for wireless control of the soundbar system. The soundbar system can respond to "Power On/Off", "Volume Up/Down" and "Mute" commands from the remote of a HDMI CEC compatible television. If your TV remote does not control the soundbar automatically, you can program the BAR 5.1 Surround to respond your TV remote's "Volume Up/Down" and "Mute" commands.
Mounting Options: You can place the JBL BAR 5.1 Surround's soundbar speaker on a shelf or tabletop, or wall-mount it with the included brackets. Make sure not to obstruct or block the sides of the soundbar due to its side-firing tweeters. The wireless powered subwoofer can bepositioned between 3' to 20' away from the soundbar speaker. Make sure the sub is at least 4" away from the wall to accommodate the rear-firing port.
Power Requirements: Both, the active soundbar and wireless powered sub, will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. Each includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Auto On + Standby: The JBL BAR 5.1 Surround will automatically power on whenever it senses an audio signal from its HDMI & Optical source inputs. The soundbar system will automatically switch to standby mode after approximately 10 minutes of button inactivity and no audio playback from a connected source.