About the JBL Bar 9.1
Enveloping Atmos sound — the easy way
Enveloping Atmos sound — the easy way
Here's yet another cool, feature-packed sound bar from the audio experts at JBL. The Bar 9.1 delivers a complete 5.1.4-channel system in a streamlined package, with very minimal effort. Like its wildly popular forerunner — the JBL Bar 5.1 — it includes 100% wire-free surround speakers. But the new Bar 9.1 expands the sound field vertically with four up-firing drivers — a pair in the main bar and a pair in the surround speakers. These deliver the expansive height effects of both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X content.
Add the included wireless subwoofer into the mix, and you've got an immersive home theater experience without the need to run wires all over the room. Plus the system's calibration feature can capture the room's reflections and optimize the sound to suit your space.
The JBL Bar 9.1 delivers spacious sound without sacrificing space in your living room.
The surround speakers recharge when they are connected to the sound bar. A full charge takes about three hours. But on that single charge, you get full surround sound for up to 10 hours. Punchy, precise bass is provided by the down-firing 10-inch subwoofer.
The sub also receives signals wirelessly from the bar, so you can place it wherever you find convenient. But unlike the surround speakers, you will need to connect it to an AC outlet — it needs power to deliver that low-end rumble.
The bar is short enough to fit under most TVs on a stand, but JBL has included brackets for wall-mounting both the bar and the surround speakers for a super-streamlined look.
The Bar 9.1 has 4K video passthrough with support for Dolby Vision™, so you can get rich sound and picture quality with simple HDMI connections — one from your 4K video source to your sound bar and then one from your sound bar to your TV. It also supports eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), so it can receive uncompromised audio signals — like Dolby Atmos — from an eARC-equipped TV.
Options for music
This system has built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi — with support for Chromecast built-in and Apple AirPlay 2 — so you can wirelessly stream audio content almost any way you like.
- sound bar, wireless subwoofer, and true wireless surround speakers
- surround speakers feature built-in batteries and recharge when attached to the sound bar
- delivers 5.1.4-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X™
- calibration option captures the room's reflections and optimizes the sound to suit your space
- Apple® AirPlay® 2, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- 9 built-in speakers powered by 400 watts
- 4 racetrack-shaped drivers
- three 3/4" tweeters
- 2 up-firing full-range drivers to produce overhead effects
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- wall-mountable (brackets included)
- 2-7/16"H x 47-1/2"W x 4-3/4"D (with wireless surrounds attached for charging)
- weight: 11.2 lbs. (with wireless surrounds attached for charging)
- each speaker has one up-firing full-range driver and one 3/4" front-facing tweeter
- each speaker is powered by a 60-watt built-in amplifier
- surround speakers connect wirelessly to sound bar
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of wireless surround sound
- wall-mount brackets included
- 6-13/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 4-3/4"D (each)
- weight: 1.6 lbs. (each)
- syncs wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- 10" down-firing woofer
- built-in 300-watt amplifier
- 17-3/8"H x 12-1/16"W x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 24.47 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output
- supports eARC/ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- HDCP version 2.3
- supports 4K video with Dolby Vision™ HDR (high dynamic range)
- cable included
- 1 optical digital audio input
- USB port for connecting a thumb drive
- total system power: 820 watts
- system frequency response 34-20,000 Hz
- remote control included
- gives you control over bass level and volume of surround speakers
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLBAR913DBLKAM
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- 2 Battery-powered rear speakers
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 5' AC power cord
- 4' HDMI cable
- 2 Soundbar brackets
- 2 Wall-mount brackets (for Soundbar)
- 2 Rear speaker brackets
- 2 Wall-mount brackets (for rear speakers)
- 4 Machine screws
- 6 Wood-screws
- 6 Concrete-anchors
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall-Mount Template
- "WiFi and Bluetooth Connection" note
- Warranty Card
- Important Safety Instructions
JBL Bar 9.1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Bar 9.1
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||5.1.4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (3)|
|Woofer||Oval Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||10" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||34-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||200|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||150|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-7/16H x 47-1/2W x 4-3/4D|
|Sound Bar Weight||8.02 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||17-3/8H x 12-1/16W x 13-3/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||24.47 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network & Bluetooth Audio
5.1.4ch True Wireless Surround System: The JBL BAR 9.1 True Wireless Surround System features built-in Dolby Atmos/DTS:X with support for up to 5.1.4 channels of immersive surround sound. The included active soundbar speaker utilizes four upward-facing drivers and room reflection to bounce audio from all angles for a three-dimensional soundstage. The supplied battery-powered detachable, wireless rear speakers also bounce sound off your room's ceiling and back down to create a 3D listening experience. The JBL BAR 9.1 True Wireless Surround System lets you enjoy a truly cinematic atmosphere in your home.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience.
- DTS:X: DTS:X places sound in a movie soundtrack where it would occur naturally in space, creating a truly lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports you (the audience) into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering a truly captivating home cinema experience.
Note: The JBL BAR 9.1 True Wireless Surround System also supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD surround formats.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The included active soundbar speaker features dedicated Front, Center, and Height channels for excellent stereo imaging, enhanced vocal clarity, and immersive sound. The Left and Right Front channels each house a 1" dome tweeter and a single oval "racetrack" woofer, while the Center channel houses a 1" dome tweeter and two oval "racetrack" woofers. The Left and Right Height channels each house one upward-firing full-range driver. A built-in 400W (Max) amplifier powers all the drivers for dynamic, room-filling sound.
Note: The active soundbar speaker measures 34.875" wide without the battery powered rear speakers attached, and 47.5" wide with the battery powered rear speakers attached for charging. Make sure you have enough room on either side of the soundbar speaker (at least 7") to plug-in and un-plug the rear speakers.
Battery Powered Rear Speakers: The JBL BAR 9.1 features two wireless rear speakers that let you enjoy true wireless surround sound with a cinematic 5.1.4ch experience. Each rear speaker houses front, side, and up firing drivers to envelope you in 3D surround sound. These rear speakers are battery powered and feature rechargeable batteries that provide up to 10 hours of playing time. The battery powered wireless rear speakers charge by plugging them into the sides of the soundbar (it takes approximately 3 hours to fully charge each speaker). There is also a microUSB connector on the speaker that allows you to charge it using a microUSB-to-USB cable and a USB/AC power source (all sold separately). You can adjust the volume level of the surround speakers independently from the overall system's volume.
Note: The JBL BAR 9.1's WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity will turn off and the product will automatically enter into power saving mode when the detachable surround speakers are out of battery. It is recommeded you dock and charge the rear speakers whenever they are not in use or battery is low (a flashing red light on rear speakers and "Dock Spkr. Batt Low" displaying on the soundbar will indicate that the batteries are low).
Wireless Powered Sub: The JBL BAR 9.1's wireless powered sub features a down-firing 10" woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port. A built-in 300 watt (Peak) amplifier is used to drive the 10" woofer and deliver deep, impactful bass. Because the powered sub is wireless, it puts no unsightly cables between the soundbar and subwoofer (still requires a AC power cord connection). You can adjust the bass level of the powered sub from the included IR remote.
Sound Calibration: The JBL BAR 9.1 features a built-in microphone with audio calibration, so your surround sound experience will be optimized for your main listening position and speaker positions.
HDMI 2.0 Connectivity: The JBL BAR 9.1 is equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output. Both, the HDMI input and output support the HDMI 2.0 specification with ultra high-definition 4K video pass-through and HDCP 2.3 support.
- 4K Pass-Through: The BAR 9.1 lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported.
- HDCP 2.3: Both, the HDMI input and HDMI output support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This system supports HDR10 & Dolby Vision.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Note: The JBL BAR 9.1 does not support HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma).
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): The soundbar's HDMI output supports eARC, which allows the audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC offers support for uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where standard ARC was limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
- Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most older TVs only support ARC.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar system directly; and then connect the system's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you the best overall sound performance.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the JBL BAR 9.1 is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch). The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- The Optical digital input does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X
- The JBL BAR 9.1 is not equipped with an analog audio input.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The JBL BAR 9.1 features a USB (type-A) 2.0 port for connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. You'll be able to playback MP3 and WAV music files stored on a USB MSC device (formatted in FAT 16/FAT32) through the JBL soundbar system. The system can recognize up to 2,000 MP3 files. The soundbard does not offer playback control or song/arist/album info display. The USB port can also be used to charge (5V/1A) your connected device.
- Supported MP3 Files: 16kHz-48kHz sampling rate with 80kbps-320kbps bitrate.
- Supported WAV Files: 16kHz-48kHz sampling rate with up to a 3000kbps bitrate.
Note: The USB port does not support Apple iOS or Android OS device playback.
Network & Bluetooth Audio
Wireless or Wired Network Connection: To enjoy AirPlay 2 and Chromecast built-in, you will need to connect the JBL BAR 9.1 to your home network. The actived soundbar speaker system is equipped with 2.4GHz/5GHZ dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a high-performance wireless network connection. There is also an Ethernet jack if you prefer a hardwired network connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the JBL soundbar system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the soundbar. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the JBL soundbar speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the JBL BAR 9.1. You'll be able to cast many of your favorite internet radio stations, online music services, and podcast to the JBL actived sound bar speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the JBL BAR 9.1. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the JBL soundbar speaker system. Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the JBL BAR 9.1 active soundbar speaker system.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play, iHeart Radio, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the JBL BAR 9.1. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: The JBL BAR 9.1 delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional JBL Link Series and other Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
- Optional Voice Control: With a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), you can use your voice to control playback of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The JBL BAR 9.1 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP 1.3). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the soundbar speaker system. You will still use your Bluetooth source device for playback control and to view song/artist/album info. You can pair multiple Bluetooth devices with the BAR 9.1, but only one device can be used for playback at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
Note: The JBL BAR 9.1 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Remote Control: The JBL BAR 9.1 comes with an IR remote for wireless control of the soundbar system. The soundbar system can respond to "Power On/Off", "Volume Up/Down" and "Mute" commands from the remote of a HDMI CEC compatible television. If your TV remote does not control the soundbar automatically, you can program the BAR 9.1 to respond your TV remote's "Volume Up/Down" and "Mute" commands.
Mounting Options: The JBL BAR 9.1 offers flexible mounting options for the soundbar speaker, wireless powered subwoofer, and the two battery powered wireless surround speakers. However, you should follow the below guidelines to get the most out of the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X enabled soundbar speaker system.
- You can place the JBL BAR 9.1's soundbar speaker on a shelf or tabletop, or wall-mount it with the included brackets. The soundbar should be centered approximately 2" below your TV, and 8.2'-9.8' from the main listening position. Make sure the upward firing drivers of the soundbar are not obstructed.
- Because the powered subwoofer is wireless, you can position it any where in the room (within 25'). Ideally the subwoofer should be positioned along the same wall as the soundbar speaker. Placing the woofer in a corner will emphasizes the bass even more.
- The battery-powered rear speakers can be placed on stands or shelves, or even wall-mounted using the included brackets or optional articulating brackets that are sold separately (there is a 4mm threaded insert on the back of each speaker). The rear speakers should be positioned behind and to the sides the main listening area. The speakers should be positioned 3'-4.6' off the floor. Makes sure the rear speakers are orientaged correctly with the integrated rubber feet facing down and the upward firing drivers no obstructed. The battery-powered speakers have a wireless range of up to 25'.
Note: For proper ceiling reflection from the upward firing drivers in the soundbar and rear speakers, your room's ceiling should be no taller than 10' (not recommended for vaulted ceilings).
Power Requirements: Both, the active soundbar and wireless powered sub, will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. Each includes a detachable 5' AC power cord. The two rear speakers are battery powered and rechargeable.
Auto On + Standby: The JBL BAR 9.1 will automatically power on whenever it senses an audio signal from its HDMI & Optical source inputs. The soundbar system will automatically switch to standby mode after approximately 10 minutes of button inactivity and no audio playback from a connected source.
19 questions already asked