About the JBL Charge 5
Big sound for the big outdoors
Big sound for the big outdoors
If you want music for your outdoor adventures, check out the improved JBL Charge 5. This rugged portable Bluetooth speaker is completely waterproof and dustproof, so it can go anywhere. You'll enjoy clear, bold sound with plenty of bass. The Charge 5 gives you up to 20 hours operation on its built-in rechargeable battery. And it can keep your smartphone or tablet powered up, too.
Big, brawny sound
The Charge 5 uses a racetrack-shaped, long-excursion woofer coupled with a 3/4" tweeter to give you clean, clear sound. Two side-firing passive radiators reinforce the bass, giving the sound a real punch. JBL's advanced digital signal processing ensures rich, full sound from the speaker's compact design.
The app makes it happen
The JBL Portable app gives you total command over your Charge 5 speaker. It's a free download for your iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™ smartphone or tablet. Pair two Charge 5 speakers for spacious, stereo sound. You can also pair an unlimited number of compatible JBL speakers together for the ultimate party!
The app also lets you connect to two devices simultaneously with the Charge 5. You and a friend can take turns playing tunes through the speaker for an awesome co-DJ'ed playlist.
Portable charging station
The Charge 5 has a USB-C port with a cable included for charging the speaker's built-in battery. USB-C means extremely fast power transfer, compared to standard USB-A. A separate USB-A charging output lets you refresh your mobile device's battery using your existing charging cable.
- Featured in our article: Best portable Bluetooth speakers for 2023
- Bluetooth 5.1
- IP67-rated waterproof and dustproof
- frequency response: 65-20,000 Hz
- JBL Portable app
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- remotely controls volume
- pair two Charge 5 speakers for stereo
- wirelessly connect an unlimited number of compatible JBL speakers for simultaneous playback
- pair with two devices simultaneously
- 2" x 3-1/2" long-excursion woofer, 3/4" tweeter, and two side-firing passive bass radiators
- USB-C charging port (cable included)
- 7500mAh built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts up to 20 hours
- separate USB-A power output for charging mobile devices
- 8-13/16"W x 3-13/16"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 2.11 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLCHARGE5BLUAM
What's in the box:
- Bluetooth portable speaker
- 4' USB-C to USB-A charging cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Important Safety Instructions
JBL Charge 5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Charge 5
Features & specs
|Weather Resistance||Dust-proof/Waterproof (IP67)|
|Power and Battery Info|
|Built-in Battery||Y (20 hours)|
|Charges External Device Via USB||Yes|
|Runs On AC Power||No|
|Bluetooth Version And Supported Audio Formats|
|Other Wireless Features|
|Unison Pairing (Party Mode)||Yes|
|Woofer Size||2.0 x 3.5|
|Amplification (Watts RMS)||30|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Waterproof & Dustproof Design: The JBL Charge 5 Bluetooth speaker features a rugged rubberized housing and a durable fabric material grille which will hold up indoors and outdoors. The Charge 5 is IP67 waterproof & dustproof rated which means you can take it almost anywhere; you can even submerge the Charge 5 in water up to 1 meter (3') for up to 30 minutes. Its compact design fits easily into a backpack so you can take it anywhere with you.
- The Charge 5 can only be submerged in water for a short period of time. If the speaker is playing and then submerged in water, it will sound muffled, as anything submerged in water would sound like. Submerging the speaker more than 1 meter and for more than 30 minutes will damage the speaker as the water will penetrate through the waterproof barriers due to pressure.
- To ensure that the JBL Charge 5 is waterproof, please remove all cable connections and tightly close the cap; exposing the Charge 5 to liquids without doing so may result in permanent damage to the speaker. Do not expose the Charge 5 to water while charging, as doing so may result in permanent damage to the speaker or power source.
Full-Range JBL Sound: The JBL Charge 5 employs digital signal processing to generate room-filling audio from a compact speaker. Using a 2-way driver design with a 0.75" dome tweeter and optimized 2" x 3.5" long-excursion woofer, a 30-watt amplifier, and dual 2.25" passive radiators, the JBL Charge 5 delivers full-range JBL sound with punchy bass. The JBL Charge 5 stereo speaker can play from either a vertical or horizontal position, so you can place it in a variety of locations for great sound.
Bluetooth 5.1: The JBL Charge 5 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 5.1 with support for wireless audio (A2DP 1.3) and control (AVRCP 1.6). You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Charge 5. You can control Play, Pause, & Skip functions from the speaker. However, you will still continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device for advanced music navigation and to view song/artist information. The Charge 5 can pair with multiple devices and allow two devices to be connected at the same time so you can switch back and forth quickly between source devices. Once paired, the Charge 5 will automatically re-connect with the last paired device when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: The JBL Charge 5 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
JBL Portable App: Use the JBL Portable App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 7.0+) to wirelessly pair two JBL Portable compatible speakers together for stereo sound or link multiple JBL Portable compatible speakers to create a bigger party (same audio source is played back through all JBL Portable speakers). Software updates for the speaker can also be done using the JBL Portable app.
USB Charging (5V/2A): The JBL Charge 5 is capable of recharging the battery of your Bluetooth-enabled device from the speaker's built-in USB-A port (5V/2A). Now you don't need to carry an extra charger to keep your devices powered up. This USB port does not support audio playback.
Rechargeable Battery: The JBL Charge 5 stereo speaker has a built-in Lithium-ion polymer rechargeable battery (3.6V/7500mAH) that provides up to 20 hours of playback time. The Charge 5 speaker includes a USB-C port and a 4' USB-C to USB-A cable to aid in charging the built-in battery. The battery can be recharged from a 3rd party USB/AC power adapter (sold separately) or a free USB port on your computer. A full battery charge takes approximately 4 hours.
5 questions already asked