About the JBL DSP4086
Digital signal processing for the win
Digital signal processing for the win
One of the best ways to get superior sound fidelity in your car is to add an amplifier to pump up the power, along with a digital signal processor to fine-tune the sound quality. JBL's incredibly compact DSP4086 8-channel amp/processor will do both, providing eight channels of 40 watts RMS while sculpting the sound with powerful tuning software using your Windows PC.
Connecting to the whole system
The DSP4086 was designed to take the signals from your vehicle's front speakers, rear speakers, front center channel, and rear subwoofer. You can then process those signals to create eight powered outputs, and you have the ability to power and control your front tweeters.
Every channel features 31-band EQ, switchable from parametric to graphic; completely variable high-, low-, and band-pass filters with selectable slopes; time delay, up to 12ms in 0.2ms increments; and 0/180° phase adjustment. You can assign each input to an output, and you can sum signals in order to create a full-range signal to be processed.
DSP4086 connection panel
- 8-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
- 40 watts RMS x 8 at 4 ohms
- 60 watts RMS x 8 at 2 ohms
- DSP and EQ tuning tool adjustments made via USB connection to a Windows PC
- save up to 10 presets
- inputs: 6 assignable preamp and speaker-level (RCA adapters included)
- outputs: 8 powered and processed
- 31-band EQ (selectable parametric or graphic)
- adjustable high-, low-, and band-pass filters (20-20,000 Hz)
- selectable filter slopes 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- adjustable delay: 0 to 12ms in 0.2ms increments
- phase adjustment: 0 or 180°
- programming done by a Windows-run PC
- includes wired remote for ch 7/8
- fuse rating: 40A x 1
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- dimensions: 5-11/16"W x 2"H x 9-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSP4086AM
What's in the box:
- 8-Channel DSP amplifier w/ attached 6" 6-RCA input harness
- Remote bass level control
- 16.5' Remote level control cable (RJ-12 connectors both ends)
- 8" Power/ground/Rem harness (inline 40A ATO fuse)
- 8" 16-Pin speaker output harness
- 70" USB Cable (type-A both ends / 2.0)
- 6 Input adapters (RCA to set-screw)
- Spare 40A ATO fuse
- Four 15mm screws
- Two 10mm screws
- 4 Large flat-washers
- 4 Small flat-washers
- 4 Lock-washers
- Four 6-1/2" wire ties
- Owner's manual (Eng/Span/Fren/Others)
JBL DSP4086 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL DSP4086
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
40 x 8 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||60 x 8|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||---|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-22k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||90 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20k|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20k|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA/set-screw|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The JBL DSP4086 audio processor/amplifier lets you fine-tune your vehicle's audio system, with an easy-to-use interface and a plethora of tuning capabilities. If features 6 input channels, accepting high- or low-level signals, that can be summed and assigned to any of the processor's 8 powered output channels. Each channel can have its own 31-band parametric or graphic EQ, high- and low-pass crossovers, with selectable slopes, time delay, and more, all configured using you connected Windows PC.
Note: The DSP4086 does not include any wiring. An 8 AWG amp wiring kit is recommended (sold separately).
Amplifier: The DSP4086 features an ultra-efficient class-D amplifier that can provide 40W RMS @ 4Ω to each of the eight output channels, and 60W @ 2Ω. Internal conformal-coated PCBs are designed to withstand the harsh conditions of vehicle use and provide consistent power.
Inputs: The DSP4086's built-in input harness features 6 RCA connectors for use with aftermarket radios with pre-amp outputs. If installing the processor with a factory radio, 6 RCA adapters with set-screw inputs let you connect to factory speaker-level signals. The software-based configuration lets you sum together separate tweeter, midrange, and woofer channels to a full-range signal that can be assigned to any of the 8 outputs. Input signals can range from 680mV all the way up to 15V.
Outputs: The JBL processor/amplifier includes 8 powered speaker outputs on a removable 16-pin harness. Each output can provide 40W @4Ω and can be assigned to any of the input channels. Channels 7 & 8 can be assigned as subwoofer outputs, and can have their output level controlled via the included wired remote control.
Note: The DSP4086 does not support bridging output channels.
DSP: Configuration of the DSP software can be done using your Windows PC (MAC not supported) connected to the processor using the included USB cable. The DSP Tuning Software can be found here. Configuration parameters can all be accessed from one main screen, and include the following options:
- Speaker Locations: Lets you designate the type of speaker and location for each output channel. A handy Speaker Location View lets you see each speakers location in the vehicle and its corresponding amplifier channel.
- Input Mixer: The audio signal from any input channel can be assigned to any output channel. Multiple input channels can be summed to the same output channel, allowing a full-range speaker to get its signal from separate tweeter, midrange, and woofer signals in a factory system.
- Linking Channels: Paired channels can be linked, so tone controls can be applied to both channels evenly.
- Channel Volume & Muting: Each channel can have its signal level adjusted for a balanced output. Individual channels can be muted as well.
- EQ Setup & Display: Lets you select a channel and apply 31-bands of either graphic or parametric EQ to it. Parametric EQ lets you select the Frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz, adjust the Gain for that frequency (-20dB to +10dB), and set the Q or "width" of the selected frequency. Graphic EQ features 31 pre-selected frequencies with only Gain adjustment. Frequencies include: 20Hz, 25Hz, 31Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1kHz, 1.2kHz, 1.6kHz, 2kHz, 2.5kHz, 3.1kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz, 20kHz.
- Crossover: Each channel can have a high- or low-pass filter applied to it, or both for a band-pass filter. Cutoff frequencies can be selected from between 20Hz to 20kHz, with a selectable slope from Off, 6-, 12-, 18-, 24-, 30-, 36-, 42-, or 48-dB per octave.
- Time Delay: Lets you delay the output signal in 0.2ms increments, for the selected channel, allowing all audio signals to arrive at your desired focal point at the same time.
- 0˚/180˚ Phase: The phase of each channel can be reversed to correct any inadvertent phase cancellation caused by vehicle acoustics.
- Clipping Indicators: Each channel features a clip indicator that will light if 10% or higher distortion is present. Input signals should be lowered until the indicator goes out.
- Write/Delete: Up to 10 DSP configurations can be stored and recalled via one of the 10 designated "buttons". Pressing the Write button and then a Preset button will save to that memory location. Pressing any Preset button will recall that Preset, and pressing Delete and a Preset button will delete that memory location.
- File Save: System configuration files can be saved to a folder on your computer for recall at a later time.
- Settings: Opens a sub-menu with the
- Language: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and Japanese.
- Power Delay: Lets you delay the processor turn-on, if vehicle requires.
- Firmware: Used for upgrading firmware and resetting unit to factory settings.
- Reset EQ: Lets you reset the type of speaker and location in vehicle, for each output channel.
Input Level: A 3-way switch on the DSP4086's control panel lets you set the type of input signal: Lo, for pre-amp level signals; Hi and Hi2 are used for speaker-level signals, depending on the speaker signal strength.
Turn-On Mode: This 3-way switch determines how the processor/amplifier will get powered on:
- REM: If pre-amp connections are used, the REM-In wire (blue) on the 8-pin harness will need to be connected to the radio's remote output. A REM-Out is also provided for activating additional equipment.
- DC: This mode activates the unit when it senses the ignition has been turned on.
- Audio: Activates the processor/amp when it detects an audio signal on the inputs.
Remote Bass Level Control: A wired Remote Bass Level Control is included for adjusting the output level from channels 7 and 8 when assigned as subwoofer channels. The compact control offers level adjustment from -30dB to +6dB and can be mounted under a dash or console, using the provided screws. The level control connects to the processor/amp via a 16.5' cable with RJ-12 connectors.
- Level Control Dimensions: W=2.0", H=1.0", D=2.0" incl. knob (2.75" w/ cable)
Protection Circuit: A red LED on the DSP4086 will light if a problem is detected, including: Short-circuit on a speaker output, over or under voltage, excessive heat, or amp output circuit failure.
Power & Ground Wiring: The DSP4086 includes a removable 8" wiring harness, providing the Power, Ground, Remote In, and Remote Out wire connections.
USB: A USB port (type-A/2.0) is provided on the processor/amp for connecting a Windows PC for configuration.
Note: Audio playback is not supported by the USB port.
Mounting: The DSP4086 features built-in mounting tabs with 4 key-hole slots for attaching the amp to a flat surface. Mounting hardware is provided.
- RMS Power Output:
- 4Ω: 40W x 8
- 2Ω: 60W x 8
- Amplifier Class: D
- Operating Voltage: 8V - 16V
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 22kHz (-3dB)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 90dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CEA-2006): 75dB
- THD+N @ 4Ω: <1%
- Input Sensitivity:
- Low Level: 680mV - 6V
- High Level: 1.6V - 15V
- Fuse Rating: 40A (ATO)
- Recommended Power & Ground Wire: 8 AWG (not included)
- Dimensions: W=5.66", H=1.95", Depth=9.35"/10.35" (incl. wiring)
- Weight: 2.2 lbs.
28 questions already asked