About the JBL HDI-3600
A smooth-sounding tower speaker
A smooth-sounding tower speaker
The JBL HDI-3600 was designed to deliver smooth, detailed, evenly dispersed sound. JBL has been developing brilliant speaker technology for decades, and they integrated that knowledge into this elegant speaker that comes in three beautiful finishes to complement just about any home decor.
Impressive compression driver
JBL uses horn-loaded compression drivers in speaker arrays for large concert venues — they fill space with clear sound in a way a standard dome tweeter can't. This same technology is used in the HDI 3600 floor-standers. That means you can enjoy crystal-clear, expansive sound with a less powerful amplifier than many high-performance speakers require. The driver is recessed in a waveguide, which ensures that detailed high frequencies are dispersed across a wide seating area.
A solid foundation for midrange and bassEach speaker's three 6-1/2" woofers are lightweight, rigid Advanced Aluminum Matrix cones. They feature a long-throw voice coil for high output and low distortion, serving up midrange detail and solid bass. The drivers are housed in an elegantly rounded cabinet made from 3/4"-thick MDF and heavily braced to eliminate sound-muddying vibrations.
My first-hand experience with JBL HDI-3600 speakers
JBL demonstrated the HDI-3600 in our training room at Crutchfield HQ. I got a chance to listen to them powered by the Arcam SA20, which provided 150 watts at 4 ohms — plenty of power to fill the high-ceilinged room, which also contained around 20 Crutchfield employees.
The speakers were certainly loud enough for the situation, but the word that kept coming to my mind was "smooth," which is a real testament to the function of the horn-loaded compression driver. We listened to a track with a heavy bass drum in it, and the thump was musical, not overpowering or harsh. I particularly appreciated a live track by George Duke — the leader's piano playing was filled with expressive detail, dancing around the funk-infused foundation laid by bass player Christian McBride.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I could really picture these speakers in my living room. I loved the rounded edges of the cabinet, and they're offered in three beautiful furniture-grade finishes. The way they look, and the way they sound, is simply top-notch.
What about amplification?
The HDI-3600 speakers have a sensitivity rating of 90 dB. That's pretty efficient – especially for speakers in this class. But with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, you'll definitely want an amp that's 4-ohm stable. We always recommend solid power to get the most out of any pair of speakers.
- 2-1/2 way design
- 1" horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver with HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology for smooth, uniform response across a wide listening area
- three 6-1/2" Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone woofers with cast frames for punchy midrange and bass
- curved cabinet is constructed of 3/4"-thick MDF and heavily braced to dampen internal vibrations
- bass-reflex design with dual rear-firing ports
- frequency response: 38-30,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-250 watts
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- magnetic cloth grilles
- furniture-grade gray oak wood veneers with satin finish
Dimensions and warranty:
- 10-3/16"W x 40-7/16"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 61.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLHDI3600GRO
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 Jumper-straps (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet
- Owner's Manual
JBL HDI-3600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL HDI-3600
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||38-30k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
2.5-Way Driver Design: The JBL HDI-3600 floorstanding loudspeaker uses a 2.5-way driver design featuring a 1" horn-loaded tweeter with patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide technology and three 6.5" Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone woofers for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction.
- 1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter with Waveguide: At the core of JBL's new 1" HDI horn-loaded tweeter is a lightweight, Teonex polymer, annular diaphragm that improves high-frequency extension by reducing diaphragm mass. The V-shaped geometry of the annular diaphragm reduces breakup modes, eliminating time smear and reducing distortion. The result is incredible dynamics with accurate reproduction and a lack of power compression. The HDI tweeter also utilizes JBL's revolutionary HDI waveguide technology for exceptional high-frequency detail with uniform directivity and smooth in-room response. JBL engineers pioneered this design to deliver neutral frequency response both on- and off-axis, and provide a seamless transition between the high and low frequency drivers.
- Three 6.5" Aluminum Matrix Cone Woofers: Three 6.5" HDI woofers take advantage of core JBL engineering techniques to ensure very high output with low distortion. The long-throw voice coil in conjunction with the symmetrical field motor design, flux stabilization ring, and copper shorting ring guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion. The Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone provides a lightweight, rigid diaphragm and eliminate breakup modes ensuring proper pistonic motion throughout the operating band.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The HDI-3600 enclosure is constructed from 0.75" MDF and is heavily braced to provide a solid acoustic foundation. It incorporates a bass reflex design with two rear-firing, computer-optimized flared ports for bigger bass response and greater efficiency. The sophisticated curved cabinet features a modern design finished in a choice of automotive-grade painted High Gloss Black, or furniture-grade satin Walnut or Gray Oak wood veneers. A gloss black plinth is integrated into the base of the cabinet and it comes with a black cloth, magnetically attached grille to completes the enclosure's elegant appearance.
Dual Binding Posts: The JBL HDI-3600 is outfitted with two sets of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These gold-plated binding post terminals offer an exceptional audio signal and resistance to corrosion. The 5-way binding posts also ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and banana plugs (single or dual).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Rubber or Spike Feet: The JBL HDI-3600 floorstanding loudspeaker features integrated rubber feet for hardwood, ceramic, vinyl, and laminate flooring. Spike feet are also included that screw into the bottom of the rubber feet for carpeted floors.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 10.1875" (w) x 40.4375" (h) x 13.5625" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 10.1875" (w) x 40.5625" (h) x 13.5625" (d)
Application & Placement Options: The JBL HDI-3600 floorstanding loudspeakers can be used as a stereo pair in a 2ch music application, or as front and surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application. Following these guidelines when positioning your speakers for your type of application.
- As Stereo or Front Speakers: A pair of loudspeakers should form an equal-distant triangle with the main listening position. For the best results, place a pair of speakers 6 to 10' apart from one another and the main listening position (on either side of your TV in a home theater application). Angling the speakers toward the listening position can improve the stereo imaging. The speakers will provide the most accurate stereo sounstage when the angle between the listener and the speakers is between 40 and 60 degrees.
- As Surround & Surround Back Speakers: When used as surround channels, place the speakers slightly behind your main listening position facing one another. When used as surround back channels, place the speakers directly behind the listening position facing the front speakers and approximately 3 to 6' apart.
Note: Generally, bass output will increase as the speakers are moved closer to a wall or corner. For the best performance, it is recommended that you place the speakers at least 20" away from the side walls.
HDI (High Definition Imaging) Series: JBL's new HDI Series featuring patented High-Definition Imaging waveguides and revolutionary JBL compression driver technology showcases a wealth of JBL acoustic technologies and high quality audio performance to go with a contemporary and beautiful look. The HDI series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (HDI-3600/HDI-3800), one bookshelf loudspeaker (HDI-1600), a center-channel loudspeaker (HDI-4500), and a powered subwoofer (HDI-1200) - all sold separately).
The JBL HDI-3600 replaces these items