About the JBL HDI-4500
A robust center channel speaker
A robust center channel speaker
The JBL HDI-4500 was designed to deliver clear, detailed dialogue, music, and sound effects. JBL has been developing brilliant speaker technology for decades, and they integrated that knowledge into this elegant center channel that comes in three beautiful finishes to complement just about any home decor.
Impressive compression driver
JBL uses horn-loaded compression drivers in speaker arrays for large concert venues — they fill space with clear sound in a way a standard dome tweeter can't. This same technology is used in the HDI-4500 center channel. That means you can enjoy crystal-clear, expansive sound. The driver is recessed in a waveguide, which ensures that detailed high frequencies are dispersed across a wide listening area.
A solid foundation for midrange and bass
This speaker's four 5-1/4" woofers are lightweight, rigid aluminum matrix cones. They feature a long-throw voice coil for high output and low distortion, serving up midrange detail and solid bass. The drivers are housed in an elegantly rounded cabinet made from thick MDF and heavily braced to eliminate sound-muddying vibrations.
Part of a voice-matched surround sound system
The HDI-4500 is voice-matched (and color-matched) to other speakers in JBL's HDI line, so you can build a surround sound system that looks and sounds amazing:
What about amplification?
- 2-1/2 way design
- 1" horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver with HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology for smooth, uniform response across a wide listening area
- four 5-1/4" Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone woofers with cast frames for punchy midrange and bass
- curved cabinet is constructed of thick MDF and heavily braced to dampen internal vibrations
- bass-reflex design with dual rear-firing ports
- frequency response: 50-30,000 Hz (-6dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-250 watts
- magnetic cloth grilles
- automotive-grade high-gloss black painted finish
Dimensions and warranty:
- 33-3/16"W x 7-1/2"H x 12-5/16"D
- weight: 44.3 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLHDI4500BLQ
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 2 Jumper-straps (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
JBL HDI-4500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL HDI-4500
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Frequency Response||50-30k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2.5-Way Driver Design: The JBL HDI-4500 center-channel loudspeaker uses a 2.5-way driver design featuring a 1" horn-loaded tweeter with patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide technology and four 5.25" Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone woofers for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction.
- 1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter with Waveguide: At the core of JBL's new 1" HDI horn-loaded tweeter is a lightweight, Teonex polymer, annular diaphragm that improves high-frequency extension by reducing diaphragm mass. The V-shaped geometry of the annular diaphragm reduces breakup modes, eliminating time smear and reducing distortion. The result is incredible dynamics with accurate reproduction and a lack of power compression. The HDI tweeter also utilizes JBL's revolutionary HDI waveguide technology for exceptional high-frequency detail with uniform directivity and smooth in-room response. JBL engineers pioneered this design to deliver neutral frequency response both on- and off-axis, and provide a seamless transition between the high and low frequency drivers.
- Quadruple 5.25" Aluminum Matrix Cone Woofers: The four 5.25" HDI woofers take advantage of core JBL engineering techniques to ensure very high output with low distortion. The long-throw voice coil in conjunction with the symmetrical field motor design, flux stabilization ring, and copper shorting ring guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion. The Advanced Aluminum Matrix cone provides a lightweight, rigid diaphragm and eliminate breakup modes ensuring proper pistonic motion throughout the operating band.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The HDI-4500 enclosure is constructed from 0.75" MDF and is heavily braced to provide a solid acoustic foundation. It incorporates a bass reflex design with dual rear-firing, computer-optimized flared ports for bigger bass response and greater efficiency. The sophisticated curved cabinet features a modern design finished in a choice of automotive-grade painted High Gloss Black, or furniture-grade satin Walnut or Gray Oak wood veneers. The center speaker comes with a black cloth, magnetically attached grille to completes the enclosure's elegant appearance.
Dual Binding Posts: The JBL HDI-4500 is outfitted with two sets of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These gold-plated binding post terminals offer an exceptional audio signal and resistance to corrosion. The 5-way binding posts also ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and banana plugs (single or dual).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting & Placement Options: The HDI-4500 features four integrated (non-removable) rubber feet that allow you to place the center speaker safely on a stand, shelf, or piece of furniture. The HDI-4500 center speaker should be positioned directly above or below the center of your TV screen. If possible, the center's horn-loaded tweeter should be no more than 2' above or below the tweeter of the front left and front right speakers. For best dialog performance, the center speaker should be positioned at ear-level of your main seated listening position.
Note: The JBL HDI-4500 center loudspeaker does not offer any bracket, keyhole, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
HDI (High Definition Imaging) Series: JBL's new HDI Series featuring patented High-Definition Imaging waveguides and revolutionary JBL compression driver technology showcases a wealth of JBL acoustic technologies and high quality audio performance to go with a contemporary and beautiful look. The HDI series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (HDI-3600/HDI-3800), one bookshelf loudspeaker (HDI-1600), a center-channel loudspeaker (HDI-4500), and a powered subwoofer (HDI-1200) - all sold separately).