About the JBL Link Bar
Add video and music streaming apps to almost any TV
Add video and music streaming apps to almost any TV
The JBL Link Bar includes wall-mount brackets for a streamlined look.
JBL makes some of our top-selling sound bars, and the long-awaited Link Bar is their smartest one yet. In addition to the great sound you'd expect from JBL, it has the Android TV streaming platform built right into the bar. That means you can easily access apps like Netflix®, Hulu, YouTube®, Spotify®, and more. You can stream all your favorite content on your TV, even if it's older and lacks network connectivity (though your TV does need to have an HDMI input).
The Link Bar also has Chromecast built-in, so you can cast audio and video content to the bar and TV right from your Android or iOS® mobile device or your computer.
"Hey Google, play Glow on Netflix"
What's even easier than surfing a menu of apps to find what you want? Using your voice. The Link Bar's built-in far-field microphones let you simply ask the Google Assistant to find and control your favorite movies, shows, and music.
You can also control connected smart home gear, ask for a weather forecast, check your calendar, and more using either the wake words (like "OK Google" or "Hey Google") or the button on the included remote control.
Need more bass?
The Link Bar includes four built-in mid/bass drivers, with side-firing ports for better bass extension. But if you want some real low-end rumble, pick up JBL's optional Link SW10. This add-on wireless sub has a 10" down-firing woofer that will add oomph to everything from action movies to dance mixes.
- two-channel smart sound bar with 6 built-in drivers
- two 3/4" tweeters
- four 1-3/4" x 3-1/4" racetrack-shaped mid/bass drivers
- ports on each end for enhanced bass response
- built-in Android TV platform adds video and music streaming apps to your existing TV
- apps like Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, YouTube, Spotify, and more are either pre-installed or available for download from the Google Play store
- 4GB of internal storage
- Google Assistant voice control built-in
- can be activated with wake words (like "OK Google" or "Hey Google") or using the Google Assistant button on the remote
- LEDs on front panel indicate current state of microphones
- PrivacySwitch™ lets you disable the far-field microphones for more privacy
- search for shows or movies to watch
- search for songs and control music playback
- access weather reports, create calendar reminders, generate to-do lists, issue smart home commands, and more
- requires connection to your home network
Connections and general info:
- add optional wireless sub for more bass
- built-in Wi-Fi® for streaming content from the internet
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless streaming from a compatible mobile device
- Chromecast built-in lets you cast audio and video from compatible devices
- top-panel volume control buttons
- 1 HDMI/ARC port (cable included)
- 3 HDMI inputs for connecting a game console, Blu-ray player, and more
- optical digital audio input
- 3.5mm aux input
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your home network
- wall-mountable with included brackets
- frequency response: 75-20,000 Hz
- 40-3/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 3-5/8"D
- weight: 5.51 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLLINKBARGRYAM
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 69" AC power cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 59" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Wall-mount threaded posts
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
- Wall-Mount Template
JBL Link Bar reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Link Bar
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.0|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||3.25" x 1.75" Cone (4)|
|System Frequency Response||75-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||---|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Voice Control||Google Assistant built-in|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-3/8H x 40-3/16W x 3-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5.51 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Active Soundbar Speaker
Legendary JBL Sound: The LinkBar leverages JBL's audio expertise in a one-piece active soundbar speaker system that is precisely tuned to deliver an impactful and exciting audio performance with crystal clear highs, silky smooth midrange, and tight bass. The JBL LinkBar houses two 0.75" dome tweeters and four 3.25" x 1.75" "racetrack" oval cone woofers in a 2.0 channel configuration powered by a 100W (Max) amplifier for full-range JBL signature sound. There are side-firing ports on each end of the soundbar speaker to enhance bass performance.
- Dolby Digital Compatible w/ EQ Modes: The JBL LinkBar supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) and offers 4 EQ modes - Standard, Movie, Music, or Voice. You can also adjust the soundbar bass level from -6 to +6.
- Optional Wireless Powered Subwoofer: Add the JBL SW10 wireless powered subwoofer (sold separately) for an even greater immersive home theater experience with bigger and more resounding bass.
Note: The JBL LinkBar only supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) and 2ch PCM. It does not support DTS and other multichannels audio formats.
HDMI 2.0: With three HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 ARC output, the JBL LinkBar becomes a 4K entertainment hub for your video and gaming sources with just one cable connection to your TV. The HDMI inputs and output support the HDMI 2.0 specification with ultra high-definition 4K video pass-through, HDCP 2.2 compatibility, ARC, & Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch).
- 4K Pass-Through: The LinkBar lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported. *The JBL LinkBar does not support HDR.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the soundbar's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the soundbar speaker system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the soundbar speaker through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: The ARC-enabled HDMI input of many televisions only sends an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Digital & Analog Audio Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the JBL LinkBar active soundbar speaker features a optical (toslink) digital input and a stereo minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input. The optical digital input will support 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch).
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The JBL LinkBar offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the active soundbar speaker. In addition to support of Bluetooth's standard SBC codec, the LinkBar supports AAC for higher-quality playback from Apple iOS devices. You'll still control music playback and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device. Multiple devices can be paired with the speaker, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the unit will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: The JBL LinkBar does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP) for making or answering phone calls. Bluetooth audio cannot be controlled via the Google Assistant and your voice.
Mounting Options: The JBL LinkBar can simply be placed on a shelf, stand, or other flat tabletop surface. It can also be wall-mounted using the included wall-mounting kit. The LinkBar should be positioned above or below the center of your TV. You should leave at least 2" of space around the top, back and sides of the soundbar speaker for adequate ventilation, to allow airflow from the side-firing bass ports, and to not interfere with the top-panel mics.
Android TV & Chromecast Built-In
Wireless or Wired Network Connection: To enjoy Android TV and Chromecast built-in apps, plus voice control via the Google Assistant, you will need to connect the JBL LinkBar to your wireless home network. The LinkBar is equipped with dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) for a high-performance wireless network connection. There is also an Ethernet jack if you prefer a hardwired network connection. The LinkBar's network connection can be setup through its on-screen menu.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The JBL LinkBar is equipped with Android TV, allowing you to access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on a TV screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- Movies & TV Shows: Enjoy movies and TV shows from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, Google Play, FandangoNow, HBO Go/HBO Now, Starz, ShowTime, and more. You also get live TV programming from Sling Television; as well as on-demand network content from ABC, FOX, & NBC.
- Music & Radio: You'll be able to listen to online music and internet radio from Amzon, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, TuneIn, Deezer, Google Play Music and more.
- Sports, News, & Weather: Get scores, news, and highlights from ESPN, NFL, NHL, MLB.TV, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, and more. You'll also get news and weather information from CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox, AccuWeather, and The Weather Network.
- Games: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the JBL LinkBar when you get home.
- 4K network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite entertainment apps from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device through the LinkBar to your connected TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows, your favorite music and radio stations, your favorite sports team highlights, plus photos & videos on the cloud, from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the JBL LinkBar active soundbar speaker system and your connected TV. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the JBL LinkBar and your connected TV. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the JBL LinkBar system.
- Google Home App: Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the JBL LinkBar active soundbar speaker system.
- Movies & TV Shows: Cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, and more); your favorite sports team highlights (on ESPN, CBS Sports, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) to the JBL LinkBar active soundbar system and your connected TV.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play, iHeart Radio, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the JBL LinkBar. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: The JBL LinkBar delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional JBL Link Series and other Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
On-Screen Menu w/ Recommendations: The JBL LinkBar's on-screen menu provides easy access to the soundbar's built-in Android TV user interface and Google Play apps, as well as audio network settings, plus source inputs. Personalized and popular content recommendations from Android TV apps will appear automatically in the on-screen menu. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch or listen to, let Android TV recommend something for you and the family to enjoy.
Google Assistant: The JBL LinkBar comes with the Google Assistant built-in. There are microphones built into the soundbar speaker and the included remote control. You can activate the built-in Google Assistant by saying "Hey Google" or "Ok Google", or by pressing the "Google Assistant" button on the remote control. You can ask the built-in Google Assistant to play your favorite video or music, get the answer to a question, manage everyday tasks, and easily control smart devices around your home by using just your voice. The Google Assistant can assist you in five major areas.
- Soundbar: Use the Google Assistant to switch the LinkBar's source inputs (HDMI, Analog, Digital, or Bluetooth); as well as adjust volume level.
- Entertainment: Use voice commands to play your favorite shows, songs, and movies and discover new ones from Android TV and Chromecast built-in.
- Smart Home: Use your voice to control your compatible Google Assistant smart home devices (such as thermostats, doorbells, lights, and more).
- Planning: With your permission, your can get help with things like your Google calendar, your flight information, or your commute to work and more. You can also set alarms, timers, and reminders.
- Get Answers: Get answers to everyday questions regarding the news, weather, traffic, sports, and more.
- If you have multiple Google Assistant devices in your home, the device with the best microphone reception will respond to your voice command.
- You are able to mute the soundbar's microphones for extra privacy and security protection when not using the Google Assistant.
- The JBL LinkBar does not support every Google Assistant command or function. For example, it does not support phone calls.
Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App (for Android OS 4.0+ and Apple iOS 9.0+) lets you use your compatible Android or Apple iOS device as a remote to control the JBL LinkBar's Android TV functions. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the LG LinkBar will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
Bluetooth Remote Control: The JBL LinkBar includes a Bluetooth-enabled remote control for wireless operation of the active soundbar speaker system. Because the remote operates via Bluetooth, you do not have to aim or point the remote directly at the soundbar. The remote has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'. The remote offers unique functions such as a dedicated Netflix to access your favorite TV shows and moview, as well as a Google Assistant button to access the remote's built-in mic and provide voice control. The remote will need to be initially paired with the soundbar speaker before it can be used (see owner's manual for instructions).
Note: The included remote control is not IR (infrared).
HDMI-CEC: The LG LinkBar supports HDMI-CEC (Cosumer Electronics Control). HDMI-CEC allows you to control and automatically turn on/off other HDMI-CEC enabled devices that are connected via HDMI to the LinkBar with a single remote control. Ensure HDMI-CEC is enabled on your TV and other connected HDMI devices.
Automatic Firmware Updates: Automatic firmware updates will be handled through the Google Home app (for Apple iOS and Android OS) over a WiFi network connection.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked