About the JBL Link Portable
Voice control in a portable speaker
Voice control in a portable speaker
The JBL Link Portable has Google Assistant built-in. So when you say, "OK, Google, play Motown," it hears and obeys. When it's connected to your home Wi-Fi® network, the Link Portable can interpret your voice commands to access streaming music services, internet radio stations, and more. Set timers, get the weather, or play a podcast episode. Take it beyond Wi-Fi range, like out in the yard, and you've still got a great-sounding Bluetooth speaker.
Great sound indoors or out
The JBL Link Portable features a high-performance full-range transducer. It fires downward, creating a spacious 360° soundfield. Side-firing passive radiators reinforce the low frequencies, giving you stronger bass.
Compatible with AirPlay 2
Apple AirPlay 2 is built into the Link Portable. That means you can stream audio content directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through your speaker. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
Simple operation with Google Assistant
To set up the Link Portable, download the free Google Home app. You can then control the speaker through your smartphone or tablet via the app, or use voice commands (when using Wi-Fi). Control compatible smart home devices from Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and others. Stream music from your favorite apps, internet radio stations, and more — all with voice commands.
Plus it's portable!
The Link Portable is completely waterproof and delivers up to eight hours on a single battery charge. Take it with you around the house, out by the pool, or even onto the beach — it can handle it.
- built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for easy and stable connection to your network and the internet
- supports AAC, MP3, Vorbis, WAV, FLAC and Opus
Google Assistant functions:
- requires connection to Wi-Fi
- control via voice commands or the Google Home app
- app is a free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music, or YouTube Music (subscription required for some services)
- select radio stations through iHeartRadio or TuneIn Radio
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- get weather reports, news updates, time, sports and stock reports
- control compatible smart home products
- create and control a multi-room audio setup with other Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- one down-firing, full-range 1-15/16" transducer delivers 360° sound
- two side-firing passive bass radiators
- maximum power: 20 watts
- frequency response: 65-20,000 Hz
- IPX7-rated — waterproof down to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes
- built-in rechargeable battery delivers up to 8 hours of operation (charging cable included; separate USB AC adapter required)
- 6-11/16"H x 3-7/16" diameter
- weight: 1.62 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLLINKPORTBLKAM
What's in the box:
- Portable wireless audio smart speaker
- Charging cradle
- 4' USB-C to USB-A cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Link Portable
Portable Design: The JBL Link Portable is fully waterproof and features a built-in rechargeable batttery, allowing you to move the wireless audio speaker around your home and even take it with you outdoor. It features an integrated non-slip rubber base so the portable can be positioned safely on a counter, desk, nightstand, shelf, endtable, or other flat tabletop surface.
- Fully Waterproof: The JBL Link Portable is fully waterproof with an IPX7 rating. It can easily withstand rain or spills, and can eveven be submerged in water up to 1 meter (3') for up to 30 minutes. Take the JBL Linke Portable wireless audio speaker with you outside on the porch, deck, or by the pool without worry of getting it wet.
- Rechargeable Battery: The JBL Link Portable is equipped with a built-in lithium-ion polymer rechargeable battery (3.6V/4800mAH) that provides up to 8 hours of playback time (varies based on volume level and audio content). The included charging cradle will recharge the battery in 3.5 hours using a 5V/2A power source (sold separately). The speaker simply docks on top of the charging cradle. The charging cradle will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet using the included 4' USB-C to USB-A cable and a USB/AC power adapter (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Note: The JBL Link Portable does not offer a bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the speaker.
JBL 360-Degree Pro Sound: The JBL Link Portable wireless audio speaker delivers audio in every direction for 360-degree room-filling sound. The JBL Link Portable features a down-firing, high-excursion full-range 2" transducer powered by a built-in 20W digital amplifier with digital signal processing (DSP), plus dual side-firing passive radiators. You'll hear crystal clear highs, sharp mids, and deep bass from your wireless audio music content.
WiFi Certified: To enjoy Chromecast Built-In with Google Assistant and AirPlay 2 with Siri, you will need to connect the JBL Link Portable to your wireless home network. The JBL Link Portable is equipped with 2.4GHz+5GHZ dual-band WiFi 802.11ac for a high-performance wireless network connection.
Google Home App: The JBL Link Portable can be easily setup, managed, and controlled through the free Google Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible smartphone or tablet device. Use the Google Home App to connect the JBL Link 20 to your home's wireless WiFi network, as well as setup the Google Assistant & Chromecast Built-in from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home App, plus adjust other various settings.
Chromecast Built-In: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the JBL Link Portable speaker. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the JBL Link Portable speaker. While you are casting, you can still use your smartphone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room (however, your phone must stay connected to the same WiFi network as the Link Portable speaker). While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the JBL Link Portable system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the JBL Link Portable You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- News, Weather & Sports: With Chromecast Built-in you'll get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. You can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Chromecast Built-in, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games.
- Multiroom Audio: The JBL Link Portable delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional JBL Link Series and other Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
Built-in Google Assistant: The JBL Link Portable is a voice-activated speaker with two 8built-in far-field microphones and powered by Google Assistant. By saying "Hey Google" or "Ok Google", the Link Portable can help perform tasks like playing a favorite song or controlling smart home devices, checking the latest weather, traffic, & finance reports, and finding out the latest sports scores. Thanks to Google's rich history in search data, the JBL Link Portable with Google Assistant is ready for all your questions and commands. The Google Assistant has the ability to recognize up to six different users. So, when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more. The Google Assistant can assist you in a variety of ways with everyday tasks - all you have to is ask.
- Entertainment Control: Use your voice to select, play, and control music from compatible Chromecast Built-In music services - like Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more. Using only your voice, you can also initiate and control audio to any speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible device.
- Smart Home Automation: The JBL Music with Google Assistant lets you control smart devices around your home from Google Home compatible smart home automation partners - like Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Belkin Wemo, Nest, Honeywell, and more. You can even create your own voice commands for the Google Assistant on your Apple iOS or Android device using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- News, Weather & Sports: With the built-in Google Assistant, you can ask about top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Assistant, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using just your voice.
- Calendar & Schedule Planning: Use Google Home and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice. You can even use Google Assistant and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
Traffic, Commute, & Flight Information: With Google Home, you can always get to work on time by hearing information about your commute, traffic conditions, and your estimated time of arrival. You can even call a car to come pick you up with Uber.
Alarms & Timers: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice. Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
- You are able to mute the soundbar's microphones for extra privacy and security protection when not using the Google Assistant.
- The JBL Link Portable does not support every Google Assistant command or function. For example, it does not support phone calls.
- If you have multiple Google Assistant devices in your home, the device with the best microphone reception will respond to your voice command.
- Click here Google Assistant support page.
Apple AirPlay 2: Apple AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the JBL Link Portable and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the JBL Link Portable speaker. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the JBL Link Portable.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The JBL Link Portable offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the Link Portable speaker. You'll still control music playback and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device. Multiple devices can be paired with the speaker, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the unit will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33').
- To use Bluetooth, the JBL Link Portable must be setup using the Google Home app first. The Bluetooth feature requires an Google account sign-in before it is enabled.
- Bluetooth audio cannot be controlled via the Google Assistant and your voice.
- The JBL Link Portable does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication (HFP) for answering and making phone calls.