About the JBL Studio 2 6IW
Stealthy sound that shines
Stealthy sound that shines
If you're planning a custom-installed audio system, check out JBL's Studio 2 6IW. This high-quality in-wall speaker produces engaging sound without taking up any floor space.
Use a pair of the Studio 2 6IWs for a stealthy in-wall stereo system, or as the left- and right-channel speakers in a JBL surround sound system.
Adjust the sound to your space
This speaker pairs a 6-1/2" woofer with a 1" tweeter for tight, clean bass and smooth, dynamic highs. You can even aim the tweeter toward your seat for the best sound.
A three-position tweeter level control lets you cut or boost high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics.
Born from JBL's storied audio heritage
The Studio 2 Series' distinctive sound was modeled after JBL's legendary M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the best speakers they ever created. JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology helps this speaker deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- 6-1/2" Polyplas® woofer
- 1" CMMD® (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) Lite tweeter
- tweeter is aimable to direct high frequencies toward you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- frequency response: 38-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 80 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- includes paintable magnetic grille
- cutout dimensions: 7-5/16"W x 9-13/16"H
- overall dimensions: 8-3/8"W x 10-7/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-5/8"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STUDIO26IWAM
What's in the box:
JBL Studio 2 6IW owner's manual
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Cloth scrim
- Cut-Out Template
- Instruction Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JBL Studio 2 6IW
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring posts|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 80|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
CCMD Lite Tweeter: The JBL Studio 2 6IW in-wall speaker is outfitted with a 1" CCMD Lite tweeter that delivers high-frequency detail with natural balance, precision imaging, and low distortion.
- High Definition Imaging (HDI) Waveguide: The CMMD Lite tweeter utilizes JBL's proprietary High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide that ensures that the loudspeaker fills the room with cinema-quality sound from almost any location.
- Aimable Tweeter: The CCMD Lite tweeter can pivot letting you target audio directly to your desired listening location, even when installed high on the wall or off-axis.
- Tweeter Level Control: There is a tweeter level control on the front baffle behind the grille. The tweeter level control allows you to fine-tune high frequencies (-3/0/+3dB) to suit room conditions and personal taste.
PolyPas Cone Woofer: The JBL Studio 2 6IW in-wall speaker houses a 6.5" long-throw woofer with a PolyPas cone and rubber surrounds for high output, high excursions, and extended bass response. The PolyPas cone is ribbed for improved strength that helps deliver richer and more articulate bass with low distortion.
Advanced Crossover Network: The JBL Studio 6IW in-wall speaker utilizes an advanced, high-order crossover network (3.0kHz) that delivers accurate timbre reproduction.
Zero-Bezel Profile: The JBL Studio 2 in-wall speaker features a nearly invisible zero-bezel profile that blends into almost any room. The included grille attaches magnetically and is paintable. The bezel and grille only protrude 0.25" from the wall.
Spring Post Terminals: The JBL Studio 2 in-wall loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals to attach your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accommodate bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 14-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 12-gauge speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-wall applications.
In-Wall Installation: The Studio 2 in-wall speaker utilizes JBL's XL-2 bracket system that is suitable for installation in drywall, plywood, and other wall material that is 0.5" to 2" thick. The XL-2 bracket system's special mechanical grip design minimizes vibration and improves sound reproduction.
- The Studio 2 in-wall speaker requires a rectangular cutout that measures 7.3125" (w) x 9.8125" (h) x 3.625" (d). The outer frame of the speaker measures 8.375" (w) x 10.9375" (h) x 0.25" (d).
- Make sure to allow at least 1" between the edge of the cutout and any obstructions behind the wall, so the speaker's locking mechanism will have room to engage fully.
- Perform an obstruction survey to be sure that there are no studs, lengths of conduit, pipes, heating ducts or air returns in the wall cavity that will interfere with the speaker.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Studio 2 6IW in-wall loudspeaker is the perfect choice for whole-house audio, 2ch music, and home theater applications. The Studio 2 6IW can act as a Front, Surround, or Surround Back speaker in a home theater setup. Follow these guideline for placement -
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed sound is general sound throughout an area, place the loudspeakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right loudspeakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations. To avoid "hot spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more loudspeakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
- 2Ch Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display, with their tweeters as close to ear level as possible. The surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area, while the the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located on the rear wall.
Note: See the Owner's Manual for specific height and distance measurements in regards to speaker placement.