About the JBL Studio 6 66LCR
Versatile in-wall sound from JBL
Versatile in-wall sound from JBL
Some audio enthusiasts prefer to use the same model speaker for each channel of their custom-installed home theater, so the tonal quality stays as consistent as possible for sound effects moving from channel to channel. If that sounds like you, consider JBL's Studio 6 66LCR for seamless, voice-matched surround sound throughout your room.
Install this high-performance in-wall speaker vertically as a left- or right-channel speaker, or horizontally as your system's center channel. Its drivers are specially configured to sound great in both orientations.
An expanded view of the 66LCR's advanced driver assembly.
A unique driver array delivers superb sound
JBL uses horn-loaded compression drivers in speaker arrays at large concert venues — they're able to fill space with clear sound in a way a standard dome tweeter can't. This same technology is used in the Studio 6 66LCR for expansive, crystal-clear high frequencies.
JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology helps the compression driver deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room. Dual 6-1/2" PolyPlas® woofers complement the compression driver, serving up crisp bass and articulate midrange with movies, TV shows, and video game soundtracks.
Adjust the sound to your space
The Studio 6 66LCR has two front-panel level controls that let you adjust high- and low-frequency output to best suit your room's acoustics. Use them in conjunction with your home theater receiver's auto-calibration system to tailor the sound to your space.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- ideal for use in a custom-installed home theater or in-wall stereo music system
- installs horizontally as a center channel, or vertically as a left- or right-channel speaker
- dual 6-1/2" PolyPlas woofers for crisp bass and articulate midrange
- two-position level control cuts low-frequency output to best match your room's acoustics
- 1" horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver
- HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide technology for smooth, uniform response across a wide listening area
- three-position level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 50-70 watts RMS
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- includes paintable, zero-bezel magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- cutout dimensions: 7"W x 17-7/16"H
- overall dimensions: 8-1/4"W x 18-5/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-3/4"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLS666LCR
What's in the box:
JBL Studio 6 66LCR owner's manual
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Cut-Out Template
- Quick Start Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JBL Studio 6 66LCR
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring posts|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-150|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
LCR Configuration: The JBL STudio 6 66LCR is an in-wall LCR-type loudspeaker that can be used for left, center, or right channels in a home theater application. Its the perfect solution for an in-wall center-channel speaker. It can also be used in stereo and distributed audio applications.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display. The center loudspeaker should be aligned with the center of the video display. The surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area, while the the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located behind the listening area.
- 2Ch Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed sound is general sound throughout an area, place the loudspeakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right loudspeakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations. To avoid "hot spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more loudspeakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
2-Way Driver Design: The JBL Studio 6 66LCR in-wall LCR loudspeaker utilizes a 2-way driver design featuring a 1" compression horn driver and two 6.5" PolyPlas cone woofer for room-filling, full-range sound.
- 1" Compression Horn Driver: The Studio 6 66LCR in-wall LCR speaker features a 1" high-frequency compression driver with a high-definition imaging waveguide for exceptional clarity and precision detail.
- Dual 6.5" PolyPlas Cone Woofers: The JBL Studio 6 66LCR in-wall LCR speaker houses two 6.5" long-throw woofers with a PolyPlas cone and rubber surround for high output, high excursions, and extended bass response. The PolyPlas cone is ribbed for improved strength that helps deliver richer and more articulate bass with low distortion.
Tweeter & Woofer Level Control: The JBL Studio 6 66LCR in-wall LCR speaker offers tweeter and woofer level controls, so you can dial in the right amount of high and low frequencies for your room and application. The tweeter level can be adjusted to -3, 0, or +3 dB. The woofer level can be adjusted to -3 or 0 dB. The tweeter and woofer level controls are located on the front-baffle (grille must be removed).
Advanced Crossover Network: The JBL Studio 6 Series 66LCR in-wall LCR speaker utilizes an advanced, high-order crossover network that delivers accurate timbre reproduction.
Zero-Bezel Profile: The JBL Studio 6 in-wall LCR speaker features a nearly invisible zero-bezel profile that blends into almost any room. The included grille attaches magnetically and is paintable. The bezel and grille only protrude 0.25" from the wall.
In-Wall Installation: The Studio 6 in-wall LCR speaker utilizes JBL's XL-2 bracket system that is suitable for installation in drywall, plywood, and other wall material that is 0.25" to 2" thick. The XL-2 bracket system's special mechanical grip design minimizes vibration and improves sound reproduction. Make sure to allow at least 1" between the edge of the cutout and any obstructions behind the wall, so the speaker's locking mechanism will have room to engage fully.
- Vertical Orientation: The Studio 6 in-wall LCR speaker requires a rectangular cutout that measures 7.125" (w) x 17.4375" (h) x 3.75" (d). The outer frame of the speaker measures 8.3125" (w) x 18.6875" (h) x 0.25" (d).
- Horizontal Orientation: The Studio 6 in-wall LCR speaker requires a rectangular cutout that measures 17.4375" (w) x 7.125" (h) x 3.75" (d). The outer frame of the speaker measures 18.6875" (w) x 8.3125" (h) x 0.25" (d).
Note: Perform an obstruction survey to be sure that there are no studs, lengths of conduit, pipes, heating ducts or air returns in the wall cavity that will interfere with the speaker.
Spring Post Terminals: The JBL Studio 6 in-wall LCR loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals to attach your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accommodate bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 14-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 12-gauge speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-wall applications.