About the JBL Studio 6 Architectural 8IW
Stealthy sound that shines
Stealthy sound that shines
If you're planning a custom-installed audio system, check out JBL's Studio 6 Architectural 8IW. This high-quality in-wall speaker produces engaging sound without taking up any floor space.
Use a pair of the Studio 6 8IWs for a stealthy in-wall stereo system, or as the left- and right-channel speakers in a JBL surround sound system.
Adjust the sound to your space
An expanded view of the Studio 6 Architectural 8IW driver assembly and stealthy zero-bezel grille.
This speaker pairs an 8" woofer with a High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide and 1" high-frequency compression driver for tight, clean bass and smooth, dynamic highs.
Independent level-control knobs for the tweeter and woofer on the front baffle let you adjust output to ideally suit your room's acoustics.
Born from JBL's storied audio heritage
JBL famously pioneered horn-loaded compression drivers in speaker arrays at large concert venues — they're able to fill space with clear sound in a way a standard dome tweeter can't.
The cornerstone of the Studio 6 Series' distinctive sound is JBL's 1" compression driver mated to a High-Definition Imaging (HDI) horn. The proprietary design helps this speaker deliver crystal-clear high frequencies throughout your room.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- ideal for use in a custom-installed home theater or in-wall stereo music system
- 8" Polyplas® woofer
- High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide with 2414H-1 1" high frequency compression driver
- independent tweeter and woofer level controls on front baffle
- tweeter: ±3dB
- woofer: 0/-3dB
- frequency response: 43-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 10-80 watts
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- sensitivity: 93 dB
- includes zero-bezel paintable magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- cutout dimensions: 8-3/4"W x 12-1/2"H
- overall dimensions: 9-15/16"W x 13-13/16"H
- mounting depth: 3-11/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLS68IW
What's in the box:
JBL Studio 6 Architectural 8IW owner's manual
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Cut-Out Template
- Quick Start Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JBL Studio 6 Architectural 8IW
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Outdoor (Partial Exposure)||No|
|Outdoor (Full Exposure)||No|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-80|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Driver Design: The JBL Studio 6 8IW in-wall loudspeaker utilizes a 2-way driver design featuring a 1" compression horn driver and a 8" PolyPlas cone woofer for room-filling, full-range sound.
- 1" Compression Horn Driver: The Studio 6 8IW in-wall speaker features a 1" high-frequency compression driver with a high-definition imaging waveguide for exceptional clarity and precision detail.
- 8" PolyPlas Cone Woofer: The JBL Studio 6 8IW in-wall speaker houses a 8" long-throw woofer with a PolyPlas cone and rubber surrounds for high output, high excursions, and extended bass response. The PolyPlas cone is ribbed for improved strength that helps deliver richer and more articulate bass with low distortion.
Tweeter & Woofer Level Control: The JBL Studio 6 8IW in-wall speaker offers tweeter and woofer level controls, so you can dial in the right amount of high and low frequencies for your room and application. The tweeter level can be adjusted to -3, 0, or +3 dB. The woofer level can be adjusted to -3 or 0 dB. The tweeter and woofer level controls are located on the front-baffle (grille must be removed).
Advanced Crossover Network: The JBL Studio 6 Series 8IW in-wall speaker utilizes an advanced, high-order crossover network that delivers accurate timbre reproduction.
Zero-Bezel Profile: The JBL Studio 6 in-wall speaker features a nearly invisible zero-bezel profile that blends into almost any room. The included grille attaches magnetically and is paintable. The bezel and grille only protrude 0.25" from the wall.
Spring Post Terminals: The JBL Studio 6 in-wall loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals to attach your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accommodate bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
- For wire lengths of less than 50', use at least 16-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' and 100', use at least 14-gauge speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 12-gauge speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-wall applications.
In-Wall Installation: The Studio 6 in-wall speaker utilizes JBL's XL-2 bracket system that is suitable for installation in drywall, plywood, and other wall material that is 0.25" to 2" thick. The XL-2 bracket system's special mechanical grip design minimizes vibration and improves sound reproduction.
- The Studio 6 in-wall speaker requires a rectangular cutout that measures 8.75" (w) x 12.5" (h) x 3.6875" (d). The outer frame of the speaker measures 9.9375" (w) x 13.8125" (h) x 0.25" (d).
- Make sure to allow at least 1" between the edge of the cutout and any obstructions behind the wall, so the speaker's locking mechanism will have room to engage fully.
- Perform an obstruction survey to be sure that there are no studs, lengths of conduit, pipes, heating ducts or air returns in the wall cavity that will interfere with the speaker.
Applications & Placement: The JBL Studio 6 8IW in-wall loudspeaker is the perfect choice for whole-house audio, 2ch music, and home theater applications. The Studio 6 8IW can act as a Front, Surround, or Surround Back speaker in a home theater setup. Follow these guideline for placement -
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed sound is general sound throughout an area, place the loudspeakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right loudspeakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations. To avoid "hot spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more loudspeakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
- 2Ch Stereo: Place the left and right loudspeakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right loudspeakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left and front right loudspeakers should be located on either side of the video display, with their tweeters as close to ear level as possible. The surround left and surround right loudspeakers should be located to the sides of the main listening area, while the the surround back left and surround back right loudspeakers should be located on the rear wall.