About the JBL Studio 2 6IC
Rich JBL sound with no footprint
Rich JBL sound with no footprint
JBL's Studio 2 6IC in-ceiling speaker delivers high-quality audio performance with a nearly invisible design. Install a pair in rooms where you want music without taking up any floor space, or use them for your home theater's surround or overhead channels.
Crisp bass comes courtesy of a 6-1/2" woofer, while smooth highs flow from a 1" tweeter. A three-position tweeter level control lets you cut or boost high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics.
Born from JBL's storied audio heritage
The Studio 2 Series' distinctive sound was modeled after JBL's legendary M2 Master Reference Monitor — one of the best speakers they ever created. JBL's proprietary HDI (High Definition Imaging) waveguide helps this speaker deliver optimum sound quality throughout your room.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- 6-1/2" Polyplas® woofer
- 1" CMMD® (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) Lite tweeter
- tweeter is aimable to direct high frequencies toward you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- frequency response 38-20,000 Hz
- power handling: up to 80 watts RMS
- 8-ohm impedance
- sensitivity 86 dB
- includes paintable magnetic grille
- cutout diameter: 8"
- overall diameter: 9-1/8"
- mounting depth: 4-11/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STUDIO26IC
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Scrim cloth
- Mounting Template
- Instruction Manual
JBL Studio 2 6IC reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL Studio 2 6IC
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||80|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling loudspeaker can be used in whole-house audio, two-channel stereo, and custom home theater applications. The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling loudspeaker is engineered to provide an extremely accurate performance with clear highs, detailed midrange, smooth midbass, and low distortion.
6" PolyPlas Woofer: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling loudspeaker employs a 6" ribbed PolyPlas long-throw woofer cone with rubber surround for high out and low distortion.
1" CMMD Lite Tweeter: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling loudspeaker features a 1" CMMD (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) Lite dome tweeter with a pivoting design and integrated waveguide that provides optimized response both on and off axis.
- Pivoting Design: The pivoting design of the tweeter lets you target the audio directly to your desired listening location.
- HDI Waveguide: The proprietary JBL High Definition Imaging (HDI) waveguide ensures that the loudspeaker fills the room with cinema-quality sound from any location - even high elevations or off-axis listening locations.
High-Frequency Level Control: The High-Frequency Level switch on the front-baffle of the speaker (behind the grille) lets you fine-tune the in-ceiling speaker's high frequency output (+3/0/-3 dB) to compensate for various acoustical environments. The control has three settings -
- Increase High-Frequency Output (+3dB): Set the switch to this position if the room has many features that absorb high-frequency sound energy, such as thick carpeting, drapes and fabric-covered furniture.
- Normal High-Frequency Output (0): Set the switch to this position for most installations.
- Decrease High-Frequency Output (-3dB): Set the switch to this position if the room has many features that reflect high-frequency sound energy, such as large uncovered windows, bare tile floors and large expanses of bare walls, or if the speakers are used without grilles.
High Quality Crossover Network: High quality network components featuring high-order filters with steep cutoffs aid in reducing the potential of damage to individual speaker drivers and help the loudspeaker maintain its performance even under extreme operating conditions.
Spring-Post Terminals: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling speaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post binding terminals which will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG) and banana connectors (single or dual). Use high-quality speaker wire to obtain the best performance from the JBL in-ceiling speaker.
- For wire lengths of less than 5', use at least 16AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths between 50' to 100', use at least 12AWG speaker wire.
- For wire lengths of greater than 100', use at least 10AWG speaker wire.
Note: Your speaker wire must comply with all local building and safety codes for use in in-ceiling applications.
Zero-Bezel Profile w/ Magnetic Grille: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling speaker features a "zero-bezel" profile design that blends into almost any room. The included magnetic grill snaps onto the speaker and covers it edge-to-edge. The grilles can be painted to may your décor.
In-Ceiling Installation: The JBL Studio 2 Architectural Series in-ceiling speaker utilizes JBL's XL-2 bracket system to install the speaker in your ceiling. The speaker requires a round cutout measuring 8" (diameter) x 4.6875" (deep). Four "dog-ear" clamps secure the speaker to your ceiling. Ensure that the drywall, plywood or other ceiling material is 0.5" to 2" thick and capable of withstanding the weight of the speaker being installed. Make sure to allow at least 1" between the edge of the supplied installation template and any rafters or other obstructions behind the wall, so the speaker's locking mechanism will have room to engage fully.
Placement Options: Any speaker's ultimate performance will be affected by the speaker's placement in the listening room and the acoustics of the room. Not all listening spaces can accommodate the ideal conditions of these two factors. Therefore, careful attention to the placement of your JBL in-ceiling loudspeakers will have a significant impact on the general performance of the loudspeakers.
- Distributed Audio: Since distributed sound is general sound throughout an area, place the loudspeakers as uniformly as possible for even sound coverage throughout the area. Place the left and right speakers roughly the same distance from the primary listener locations. To avoid "hot spots" where the sound is too loud, plan to use more loudspeakers, with each set to play at a lower volume.
- 2Ch Stereo: Place the left and right speakers the same distance from the primary listening area (or as close to the same distance as possible). The distance from each speaker to its nearest side wall should also be as close to the same distance as possible. Ideally, the distance between the left and right speakers should be slightly less than their distance from the primary listening area.
- Home Theater: The front left, center and front right loudspeakers should be centered relative to the video display. The front left, center, and front right speakers should be closer to the video display than to the main listening area. The front left and front right speakers should be relatively close to the sides of the video display, while the center speaker should be aligned with the center of the video display, and surround-channel speakers should be as far from the main listening area as possible but at least 2' from side and rear walls.