About the JBL Tune 230
Wire-free earbuds that are packed with value
Wire-free earbuds that are packed with value
JBL got into true wireless earbuds early on, so they've really honed their headphone design over the years. The 100% wire-free Tune 230 TWS earbuds offer the company's name-brand performance and features at a lower price than you might expect. Active noise cancellation helps silence external distractions and 6mm drives deliver JBL's signature clear sound, tuned for deeper bass.
To be clear — the level of noise-canceling here isn't as strong as the more adaptive circuitry found in JBL's premium offerings. But this company has a knack for delivering an above-average experience, from their entry-level models on up.
Strong Bluetooth pairing
Bluetooth 5.2 is on board, a newer version of the popular wireless technology. That means a more stable connection for playing music and podcasts — or making calls — with your phone.
Stay safe when you're out and about
When you need to be aware of your surroundings, you can turn off the active noise cancellation and activate JBL's "Smart Ambient" feature. This uses the built-in mic to increase the volume of ambient sounds, so you can hear what's going on around you. You can further fine tune the level of noise cancellation versus external sounds with the free, downloadable JBL Headphone app. It's available for Apple® and Android™.
Charging case banks hours of power
These streamlined earbuds arrive packed in a compact charging case that's takes up little space in your pocket or bag. You get about eight hours of listening and noise cancellation on a single charge, which is pretty strong battery life for true wireless earbuds. The case banks up to 30 hours of power to recharge the earbuds on the move — and just 10 minutes in the case gives you up to two hours of listening.
- 100% wire-free headphones
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- Bluetooth 5.2 gives you a strong, stable connection to your phone for music and calls
- active noise cancellation uses internal circuitry and microphones on each earbud to reduces external noise
- "Smart Ambient" mode lets you hear external sounds without removing earbuds
- 6mm dynamic drivers tuned for strong bass
- IPX4 sweat-resistant design
App and on-board controls:
- use both earbuds in stereo or a single earbud in mono mode
- mic for taking calls built into each earbud
- free JBL Headphones app for Apple® or Android™ for customization and control
- choose from sound presets or customize the EQ
- touch controls for Bluetooth pairing, music playback, and calls on both earbuds
- tap either earbud to access Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa
- requires one-time setup through the JBL Headphones app
Charging case, battery information, and accessories:
- built-in rechargeable batteries offer up to 8 hours of listening with noise cancellation (10 without)
- carrying case banks up to 30 hours of power to wirelessly recharge headphones
- 10-minute quick charge gives you up to two hours of listening
- USB-A to USB-C cable included for charging case
General info and specs:
- three pairs of silicone ear tips for a comfortable, secure fit
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- 3/4"W x 1-11/16"H x 7/8"D (each earbud)
- case: 2-1/2"W x 1-15/16"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight: 0.35 oz. (both earbuds)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JBLT230NCTWSBLUAM
What's in the box:
- Left and right wireless ear buds (Blue)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- Charging case
- 10" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instruction and Warranty card
JBL Tune 230 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JBL Tune 230
Features & specs
|Fit Style||True Wireless|
|Earcup Width x Height||0.659" x 1.415"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The JBL Tune 230NC ear buds are true wireless in-ear headphones with no connecting cables. Each ear bud has a built-in rechargeable battery, plus touch-sensitive controls for power, music playback, phone calls, and activating your favorite voice assistant. Tune 230NC ear buds come with three pairs of silicone ear tips, a charging cable, and a hard, flip-top charging case.
Drivers: The JBL Tune 230NC ear buds are equipped with 6mm dynamic drivers that deliver the JBL Pure Bass sound with a wide frequency range of 20Hz-20kHz.
Bluetooth: The ear buds connect to your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth version 5.2. The ear buds support A2DP (v1.3), AVRCP (v1.6), and HFP (v1.7). When you remove the ear buds from the charging case, they automatically enter pairing mode. Replacing them in the charging case powers them off.
Water/Sweat Resistant: The ear buds can be worn during your workout or in inclement weather. The Tune 230NC has a water-resistance rating of IPX4.
Voice Assistants: The Tune 230NC is compatible with the Voice Assistant that is built into your smartphone -- Siri (Apple), Google (Android), Bixby (Samsung). In the JBL Headphones App, you can select Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant as your voice assistant. To activate the Voice Assistant in the Tune 230NC, you can touch and hold of one of the ear buds, as assigned in the app.
Active Noise Cancelling: The Tune 230NC true wireless headphones feature Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) to let you shut out external noise so you can hear only your music or phone call. The Smart Ambient feature lets you stay aware of your surroundings, using the same microphones for ANC to amplify ambient noise. The TalkThru feature lets you temporarily turn off ANC to hold a brief conversation without having to remove your headphones. You can cycle through ANC and Smart Ambient (and Off) with a single tap of the touch-sensitive control on the left ear bud. TalkThru is enabled through the JBL Headphones app.
Stereo Calls: When your phone rings, a quick double-tap of the right ear bud connects you to the caller for a hands-free stereo phone call.
Microphones: The ear buds have a total of 4 built-in microphones to pick up your voice for making clear phone calls, and using your favorite voice assistant, and for picking up ambient noise for the Active Noise Cancelling and Smart Ambient features.
Stereo/Mono Modes: The JBL Tune 230NC features a switchable stereo/mono mode. In stereo, you can enjoy audio in both ear buds. When you switch to mono mode, you can listen to music in the left or the right ear bud. The controls also switch to one ear bud in mono mode.
JBL Headphones App: The JBL Headphones App on your smartphone can enhance the performance and your listening experience of your Tune 230NC headphones. ANC, Smart Ambient, and TalkThru features can be set up in the app. You can configure the controls you want for each ear bud, as well as set up your favorite Voice Assistant. The app provides several EQ presets to make your music sound the way you want it, as well as create or customize your own EQ settings. The JBL Headphones app can help you streamline pairing your headphones to your phone, and lets you keep up with the battery level of each ear bud individually. The app is compatible with Apple iPhone and iPad running iOS 11.0 or later, and with Android smartphones and tablets running Android version 7.0 and up.
Rechargeable Batteries: Each of the JBL Tune 230NC ear buds contains a 3.85-volt 70mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The charging case contains its own 3.85-volt 750mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The ear buds provide up to 10 hours of continuous music playback while the charging case adds another 30 hours, for 50 hours of total combined playback time. When using ANC, the playback time is reduced to 8 hours on a single charge, plus 24 hours in the case. The ear buds charge in the case in less than two hours in the provided case with the supplied USB-C cable. A 10-minute Quick Charge provides up to 2 hours of playback time.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Drivers: 6mm dynamic
- Impedance: 16Ω
- Driver Sensitivity: 105dB SPL (1kHz / 1mW)
- Maximum SPL: 93dB SPL
- Ear Buds: Width 0.659", Height 1.415", Depth 1.022"
- Case: Width 2.467", Height 1.88", Depth 1.179"
- Ear Buds: 0.35 ounces (both)
- Case: 1.7 ounces (w/o ear buds); 2.05 ounces (with ear buds)
1 question already asked
I wish retailers would start letting you know which pods connect to multiple devices. Other than that, I am very happy with the performance. Sounds is more than adequate, and ANC is amazing.
Steve from St Petersburg, FL