About the Jensen CAR1000
Go big (really big)
Go big (really big)
Want a huge display? Some folks go as far as custom-mounting an iPad in their dash. Jensen makes it easier with the CAR1000 digital multimedia receiver, which rocks an incredible 10.1" capacitive touchscreen, along with a front-panel button that gives you instant access to Siri® or Google Assistant. The receiver's chassis is a fit for the popular 4" tall double-DIN dash opening, while the big screen plugs into the front of the chassis, giving you Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ with easy voice control access in most modern vehicles.
CarPlay integrates your iPhone into the driving experience in a seamless interface, allowing you to access iPhone content with the sound of your voice. That means easy access to your music library, audiobooks, phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
If you're an Android user, this receiver is ready for your phone, too. Android Auto integrates your Android device into the driving experience without distracting you from the job at hand — driving . You'll have easy voice access to Google Maps, weather, music, and apps, not to mention your text messages. And you can make calls, too, of course. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Bluetooth enables wireless streaming for stored music, music services, podcasts, and audiobooks. Of course, you'll be able to take and make calls too while keeping your hands on the wheel — an awesome safety feature when you're making your daily commute.
You can use the 10.1" touchscreen display for system control, media info, and as a monitor for a connected backup camera (not included, see Accessories), great for backing into those tight parking spots. The Jensen CAR1000's two USB ports let you connect a smartphone as well as a flash drive loaded with your music. Jensen also builds in three sets of preamp outputs for amplifiers powering your speakers and subs. An 8-band equalizer and time alignment give you plenty of options for tweaking the sound in your vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
Installation Note: The 10.1" monitor protrudes 3.8125" from the top of the receiver's chassis. Check your dash for possible interference with air vents or other factory equipment.
- digital media receiver with 10.1" capacitive touchscreen display
- package includes double-DIN radio chassis, separate 10.1" touchscreen monitor, wireless remote, and microphone
- built-in AM/FM tuner
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- remote control
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- Android Auto compatible
- front panel button to activate Siri or Google Assistant
- 8-band EQ and time alignment
- subwoofer controls
- inputs: front and rear USB inputs, rear (RCA) A/V input, front microSD card slot, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CAR1000
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver chassis (15A fuse)
- 10" Touchscreen monitor
- Wiring harness
- Pre-out harness
- AV-In harness
- Camera input harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 9.75' cable terminated by a mono-3.5mm connector
- Self-adhesive bracket
- 2 Brackets
- 2 Endcaps
- 8 Pan-head ISO-screws
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO-screws
- 10 Machine screws
- Installation/Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen CAR1000
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze (coming soon)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
10.1" Capacitive Touchscreen: The Jensen CAR1000 includes an extra-large 10.1" capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor with LED backlit and a resolution of 1,152,00. The large display is easy to see and navigate. The capacitive touchscreen provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text. It also provide highly responsive touchscreen operation. The 10.1" capacitive monitor attaches and plugs into the front of the CAR1000's separate source unit which mounts in a standard 4" double-DIN opening in a variety of vehicles.
- Manual Angle Adjustment: The touchscreen monitor is adjustable allowing you dial it in to the perfect angle for your particular installation application. The included hardware locks the screen at the customized angle prior to final installation. The angle of the touchscreen can be set to -10, -5, 0, +5, +9, +14, or +18 degrees. The 10.1" touchscreen monitor measures 10.0625" (w) x 6.395" (h) x 1.935" (d). The 10.1" monitor protrudes 3.8125" from the top of the double-DIN source unit chassis.
- Brightness & Dimmer: You can manually adjust the touchscreen monitor's brightness level (0-20). You can set the LCD monitor's dimmer mode to Auto, Day, or Night. The Day mode brightens the display, while the Night mode dims the display. Auto mode changes the brightness level from Day or Night automatically when you turn on and off your vehicle's headlights. The orange illumination wire of the harness must be connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit.
- Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the touchscreen monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink parking brake wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view most of the head unit's menu screens/settings; as well as source information, metadata, album artwork, CarPlay, and Android Auto.
Double-DIN Source Unit: The included source unit fits in a standard 4" double-DIN opening (applicable kit, harness, etc. will be required and sold separately for your vehicle). Once the source unit is mounted in the dash, the 10.1" touchscreen monitor attaches and plugs into the front of the source unit using the integrated wiring harness and included hardware. All of the CAR1000's inputs and outputs are found on the rear-panel of the source unit.
Note: The Jensen CAR1000 will not fit in some vehicles with a standard 4" double-DIN opening due to its large 10.1" touchscreen monitor interfering with your vehicle's factory equipment on the dash.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to its 10" capacitive touchscreen, the Jensen CAR1000 offers front-panel hard-key controls that consist of a 3-way rotary knob and 4 push-buttons that operate frequently used functions such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Source Selection, Band Selection, Voice Commands, and Menu.
Remote Control: The Jensen CAR1000 comes with an IR remote and supports many vehicle's steering wheel controls (adapter required).
- IR Remote The head unit comes supplied with a 21-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the Jensen digital media receiver, including Bluetooth phone answer/end.
- Optional SWC Adapter: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
Android Auto: The Jensen CAR1000 receiver supports the Android Auto for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Jensen receiver's rear-panel USB port via the the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen user interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Jensen receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Jensen receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Jensen receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
Your Android smartphone must be connected to the rear-panel USB port (the front-panel USB port does not support Android auto). Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your USB-connected iPhone 6S or newer (iOS 10.0+) with Lightning-connector in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Jensen CAR1000. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Jensen CAR1000 in-dash receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the CAR1000 receiver's 10.1" touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction. Your compatible iPhone will need to be plugged into the receiver's rear-panel USB port.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the CAR1000's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level the microphone. You can also select which car speaker outputs the caller audio; you can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Jensen receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus iTunes radio from the Jensen CAR1000. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the CAR1000's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The CAR1000's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Jensen receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, podcasts, sports, news, and audiobooks - including Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible (subscriptions and fees may app). Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Jensen receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
Notes:Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- This unit supports Apple CarPlay using an iPhone 6S or newer (iOS 10.0+). Your iPhone must be connected to the rear-panel USB port (the front-panel USB port does not support CarPlay). Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
Smartphone Charging: The Jensen CAR1000 will also charge your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via the rear-panel USB (5V/1.5A) with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen CAR1000 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Multi-Device Pairing: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the CAR1000. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Jensen head unit, but only one can be used at a time. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the device and receiver.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Jensen CAR1000.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ external mic): The CAR1000 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer and make a call from the head unit's touchscreen, so you can carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the CAR1000, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook using the Jensen CAR1000's touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the CAR1000's touchscreen.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen CAR1000 allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the CAR1000. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist/album text information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Dual USB Ports: The Jensen CAR1000 is equipped with dual USB (type-A) ports. There is one front-panel USB port that supports connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device formatted in FAT 16/FAT 32 for playback of a variety of music and video files. There is also a rear-panel USB port (attached to rear-chassis via 46" cable) that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Both USB ports (Front = 1A / Rear = 1.5A) will charge the battery of a connected smartphone device, when the radio and your vehicle is turned on.
- The front-panel USB port does not support connection of an Apple iOS or Android device.
- The rear-panel USB port does not support connection of a USB MSC device.
- Both USB ports do not support connection of a a USB-hub or card-rearder.
microSD Card Slot: The Jensen CAR1000 features a front-panel microSD card slot for connection of a microSD memory card (up to 64GB). The unit supports playback of a variety of music and video files loaded onto a microSD memory card formatted in FAT 16/FAT 32.
File Compatibility: The Jensen CAR1000 supports a variety of music and video files via USB and microSD. For audio playback, it supports MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music files. For video playback, it supports Xvid and MP4 movie files. The unit can recognize up to 2000 total files, 200 folders, and 2000 files per folder.
Control Functions: During USB or microSD card playback, you can access a list of all files and folders on a device or card. You can also control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random functions.
Metadata Display: The unit's touchscreen monitor will display song/artist/album information (including album art) of music files loaded on a USB MSC device or microSD memory card.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CAR1000 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the Jensen CAR1000 are as follows:
- CTA2006 Specs: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
4V/6Ch Preamp Outputs + Subwoofer Control: The Jensen CAR1000 is outfitted with six 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading with a separate level control (0-15). The subwoofer output does not have a built-in low-pass crossover. You'll need to use a subwoofer amplifier that has its own low-pass crossover filter.
Equalizer: The Jensen CAR1000 features a built-in Equalizer with an 8-band graphic EQ and 8 EQ presets. The 8 EQ presets consist of Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Electric, Flat (default), Soft, and User. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the 8-band graphic EQ (20, 60, 150, 400, 1k, 3k, 7k, 15k Hz) from -12 to +12dB.
Time Alignment: Built-in Time Alignment allows you to adjust the delay and distance between the front and rear speakers, as well the subwoofer to the seated listening positions in the vehicle. You can save 3 custom user Time Alignment profiles.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
AM/FM Tuner: The Jensen CAR1000 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual seek, direct, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM stations and 12 AM stations for a total of 30 presets. You can select between North American and European tuning.
AV Input: The Jensen CAR1000 digital media receiver features a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external audio/video source, such as a DVD player or game console.
Note: The Jensen CAR1000 does not offer an audio/video output.
Rearview Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to the reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.9 seconds. The unit offers a 12V accessory power and ground lead to supply power to your optional backup camera.
Note: The rearview camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rearview camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rearview camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked