About the Jensen CAR689
Jensen's CAR689 digital multimedia receiver upgrades your dash at a fair price to the best smartphone compatibility out there. And if, like me, you use your smartphone for everything, built-in Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ will seriously improve your drive. You'll see everything you love about your phone, like music, maps, and contacts, on this receiver's 6.8" capacitive touchscreen. If you use Siri® or Google Assistant regularly, you'll find that this hands-free control translates perfectly to the car. Jensen also builds in Bluetooth® to make wireless music streaming and hands-free calls easy.
Choose Apple CarPlay
CarPlay integrates your iPhone into the driving experience in a seamless interface, allowing you to access iPhone content with the sound of your voice. That means easy access to your music library, audiobooks, phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Or Android Auto
If you're an Android user, this receiver is ready for your phone, too. Android Auto integrates your Android device into the driving experience without distracting you from the job at hand — driving . You'll have easy voice access to Google Maps, weather, music, and apps, not to mention your text messages. And you can make calls, too, of course. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Big on Bluetooth®
Bluetooth enables wireless streaming for stored music, Internet radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks. This receiver also lets you take and make calls while keeping your hands on the wheel — an awesome safety feature when you're making your daily commute.
Bring on the extras
With a wired connection to your smartphone via the receiver's rear USB, you can browse through your phone's music files for playlists, songs, artists, and albums. And the CAR689 is SiriusXM-ready, so you can add a satellite radio tuner and enjoy your favorite music, sports, entertainment, and more anywhere you go.
Perfect your sound
Use your touchscreen display for system control, media info, as a monitor for a connected backup camera (not included), and for perfecting your sound. This Jensen receiver offers an 8-band equalizer, and to get more impact out of your system, six preamp outputs let you connect amplifiers to power your speakers and subs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 6.8" capacitive touchscreen with icon-based controls
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- works with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- built-in Siri and Google Assistant activation button
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- external microphone for calls
- plays USB memory devices
- 8-band equalizer
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
- inputs: two rear USB ports (phone, media), A/V input, rear-view camera input, front camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer), video output
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CAR689
What's in the box:
- Digital multimedia receiver (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ self-adhesive bracket (attached 9.75' cable terminated by a 3.5mm stereo connector)
- 2 Brackets
- 8 Pan-head ISO-screws
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO-screws
- Quick Start Guide
Jensen CAR689 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen CAR689
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|iPhone||6S or newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8.5 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android Auto: Android Auto brings the most useful apps of your Android smartphone to the Jensen in-dash receiver, making it easier for you to keep your main focus on driving. You can control things like navigation maps, phone calls, text messages, music, and more using the head unit's touchscreen or your voice and Google Assistant. With large touchscreen icons, a simplified userinterface, and the Google Assistant, it's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road. To use Android Auto, you'll need an Android smartphone running OS Lollipop (6.0 or newer). The compatible Android smartphone must be connected to head unit's rear-panel USB port (labeled "Apple CarPlay/Android Auto") and paired via Bluetooth. Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible
- Google Assistant: With Google Assistant on Android Auto, you can keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel while using your voice to help you with your daily commute. Simply say, "Ok Google" or press the mic button to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Navigation Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. You can use the unit's touchscreen or Google Assistant to select your destination and route. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Calls & Messages: Android Auto's Google Assistant lets you stay connected while you're driving. The Google Assistant lets you use voice commands to call phone numbers and your favorite contacts, as well as read-reply-send text messages; all while keeping your hands on the wheel.
- Music Apps: Android Auto gives you access to your Android smartphone's music library through Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen or the Google Assistant to select songs, artists, albums, or playlists. You also get access to select music apps on your Android smartphone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- The head unit's USB port is attached to the rear-chassis via 6" cable. Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Any other devices connected via Bluetooth will be disconnected during Android Auto use.
- You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
Apple CarPlay: CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your Apple iPhone in your vehicle. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on the display of the in-dash receiver. You can use the head unit's touchscreen or your voice and Siri to get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music - all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road. You'll need to connect your compatible iPhone (6S or newer) to the head unit's rear-panel USB port (labeled "Apple CarPlay/Android Auto") using an Apple Certified USB-to-Lightning cable.
- Maps: Apple Maps will be mirrored on the screen, including traffic information and estimated time to destination. Use the head unit's touchscreen or ask Siri to get turn-by-turn directions. You can search by address, favorites, recents, points-of-interestes, and more. CarPlay can even predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can also choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: Use the head unit's touchsceen or ask Siri to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemail messages. Caller ID information will be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Messages: Ask Siri to send, read, and reply to text messages. This hands-free operation minimizes distraction and allows you to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music: You can access music by artist, song, playlist, and more through the receiver's touchscreen or via Siri. The receiver will dispaly artist/song/album information (including album art in the background). You can access your iPhone's iTunes music library, as well as Apple Music. In addition, you can access other music apps that you have on your iPhone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Google Play Music & more.
- Apple HomeKit: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Other Applications: In addition to navigation and music apps, Apple CarPlay supports a variety of other applications ranging from Podcasts, Audiobooks, Sports, News, Weather, and More.
Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- When CarPlay is in use, the unit's Bluetooth will turn off automatically and hands-free phone functionality will operate through CarPlay. Any other devices connected via Bluetooth will be disconnected during CarPlay use.
- The rear-panel USB port is attached to the head unit via a 6" cable. Use a USB-to-Lightning cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- You cannot have an Android Auto smartphone and Apple CarPlay iPhone plugged in at the same time.
Smartphone Charging: The Jensen CAR689 will also charge your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via the rear-panel USB (5V/1.5A) with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen CAR689 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Multi-Device Pairing: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the CAR689. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Jensen head unit, but only one can be used at a time. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the device and receiver.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Jensen CAR689.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ external mic): The CAR689 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer and make a call from the head unit's touchscreen, so you can carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the CAR689, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook using the Jensen CAR689's touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the CAR689's touchscreen.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen CAR689 allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the CAR689. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist/album text information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB Port: The Jensen CAR689 is equipped with a rear-panel USB port that is labeled "USB (attached to the rear-chassis via a 31" cable) for playback of audio and photo files from a connected USB mass storage class device formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 - such as a USB thumbdrive. Supported media files include MP3 (8-320kbps; 8-48kHz) and FLAC (up to 48kHz) music files, Xvid and MP4 video files, plus JPEG photo files. The unit can recognize up to 2000 total files and 200 total folders.
- Control: The unit provides various playback & search functions to find and enjoy your audio, video, and photo files. Playback functions include Play/Pause & Random/Repeat. Search functions include Folder/File List & Previous/Next Track.
- Display: The receiver will display artist name, song title and album title (including album art). It also displays the elapsed playing time of a song or track.
- Charging: The USB port (5V/1A) will also charge USB enabled devices, such as your smartphone.
- The head unit's USB port (labeled "USB") does not support Apple iOS or Android devices, USB hubs, or card readers.
- Your vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged to view video or photo files.
AV Input: The Jensen CAR689 digital media receiver features a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external audio/video source, such as a DVD player or game console.
Note: The Jensen CAR689 does not offer an audio/video output.
Dual Camera Inputs: The Jensen CAR689 features dual camera inputs for adding a backup and/or front camera (both sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The backup and front camera inputs each consist of a composite RCA jack, while the backup camera input also features a corresponding analog audio input that consists of a mono-RCA jack. The unit offers a 12V/0.5A accessory power and ground lead to supply power to your optional backup or front camera.
- Backup Camera Input: The backup camera input input consists of a composite video RCA jack and a mono-RCA audio jack for connecting an optional backup camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen. When an optional backup camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to the reverse light wire of vehicle). The automatic video switching delay can be set to 0.5, 2, or 3 seconds..
- Front Camera Input: The front camera input consists of a composite video RCA jack for adding a front camera or dash cam to aid in the visibility in front of your vehicle. The front camera input can be selected manually (there is no auto-switching).
Note: The backup and front camera feature is meant as a driving aid only; never solely rely on the cameras when driving. In addition to using the cameras, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
AM/FM Radio + SiriusXM-Ready
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, preset, and direct tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- Preset Tuning: The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can even automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band. In addition, there is a preset Scan function that allows you to quickly search through your presets on the current selected band.
- Local Seek: The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
- Direct Tuning: The built-in AM/FM tuner also allows direct frequency tuning through the unit's touchscreen panel.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Jensen Car689 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include -
- Channel List & Cateogry Search: Channel list displays a list of all available channels. Category Search allows you to searche for channels in a certain genre or category.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title (including album art & station logo) can be viewed on the head unit's touchscreeen monitor.
- Presets & Alerts: You can save up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for quick and easy access. The unit will alert you with an on-screen inidcator when your favorite artist or song is playing on another station. You can save up to 50 songs and 50 artists as Favorite Alerts.
- Parental Controls: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked and are only accessible through a custom pass-code.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CAR689 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the Jensen CAR689 are as follows:
- CTA2006 Specs: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
4V/6Ch Preamp Outputs + Subwoofer Control: The Jensen CAR689 is outfitted with six 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading with a separate level control (0-15). The subwoofer output also features its own low pass filter that be set to 50, 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Jensen head unit offers 7 EQ presets (Flat, R&B, Rock, Pop, HipHop, Jazz, Custom) that can be easily selected to tailor the sound to your genre of music. The Custom preset allows you to manually adjust the receiver's 10-band EQ (32, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) so you can further fine-tune the sound to match your music content and preference. EQ settings are saved by source input (not globally).
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
Independent Source & Volume Levels: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. You can also independently adjust the volume level of the Main Volume, Bluetooth Ringer, Bluetooth Call, and Navigation Prompts.
6.8" Capacitive Touchscreen Monitor: The Jensen CAR689 features a 6.8" touchscreen LCD monitor with LED backlight and a resolution of 1,152,000. The 6.8" touchscreen monitor makes it easy to see the receiver's on-screen menu and information, as well as operate the receiver's functions and browse your music. The large 6.8" capactive touchscreen monitor provides a comfortable viewing experience while keeping all your favorite content within fingers reach. It features a gesture-based GUI with tap and swipe control, allowing you to move smoothly between various modes and settings, reducing the amount of time spent navigating the home screen and getting to your desired page.
- Display Settings: You can select between 4 preset wallpapers (backgrounds). You can also manually adjust the touchscreen monitor's brightness level for Day and Night. You can even enable Auto brightness which automatically switches the unit from Day or Night mode when you turn on and off your vehicle's headlights. The orange illumination wire of the harness must be connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit.
- Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the touchscreen monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink parking brake wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view most of the head unit's menu screens/settings; as well as source information, metadata, album artwork, CarPlay, and Android Auto.
Touch-Sensitive Buttons: In addition to its 6.8" touchscreen, the Jensen CAR689 offers touch-sensitive buttons along the left edge of the touchscreen monitor. There are 5 touch-sensitive buttons that operate Power, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Voice Recognition, and Menu/Home. The touch-sensitive buttons offer variable color illumination that can be set to Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, or White. You can also customize a color or have the unit cycle through its preset colors.
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection when using the touchscreen or touch-sensitive buttons. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
Optional Steering Wheel Control: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
The Jensen CAR689 replaces these items
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner (supports new Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features)
4 questions already asked