About the Jensen CAR710W
The beauty of wireless
The beauty of wireless
If you've experienced the convenience of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, your mobile A/V experience has been forever changed. How to improve on the convenience of touchscreen icons controlling your music, podcasts, texts, apps, and more? Jensen's CAR710W digital multimedia receiver supports wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, so now you don't even have to plug your phone in. Start the car and your phone connects automatically.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
CarPlay integrates your iPhone into the driving experience in a seamless interface, allowing you to access iPhone content with the sound of your voice. That means easy access to your music library, audiobooks, phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
If you're an Android user, this receiver is ready for your phone, too. Android Auto integrates your Android device into the driving experience without distracting you from the job at hand — driving. You'll have easy voice access to Google Maps, weather, music, and apps, not to mention your text messages. And you can make calls, too, of course. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
The rest of the picture
The CAR710W also serves up a 7" touchscreen with angle adjustment, a front-panel button that gives you instant access to Siri®, and the ability to add a SiriusXM tuner. With a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included) and a SiriusXM subscription, you'll never lack for engaging content on those long road trips, whether it's news, sports, talk, or commercial-free music.
Bluetooth® for wireless integration
Bluetooth lets you enjoy wireless streaming for your favorite stored music, music services, podcasts, and audiobooks. Of course, you'll be able to take and make calls too while keeping your hands on the wheel — an awesome safety feature that also keeps you from getting an expensive ticket in most states.
The 7" capacitive touchscreen display can serve as a monitor for a connected backup camera (not included, see Accessories), great for backing into those tight parking spots. The USB port lets you connect and charge a smartphone or play media from thumb drives. The three sets of preamp outputs provide for amplifiers powering your speakers and subs, and the 8-band equalizer gives you nice options for tweaking the sound in your vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play discs)
- 7" capacitive touchscreen display
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- wireless or wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible
- push-to-talk button for smartphone assistant
- MP3, MP4, FLAC, XviD file playback via USB
- 8-band EQ with 8 preset EQ curves
- subwoofer controls
- time alignment
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear A/V input (RCA), rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CAR710W
What's in the box:
- Digital multimedia receiver (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Preout/AV harness
- GPS antenna (attached 9.75' cable terminated by Fakra connector)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 9.75' cable terminated by a mono-3.5mm connector
- Self-adhesive bracket
- 8 Pan-head ISO-screws
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO-screws
- Quick Start Guide
Jensen CAR710W reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen CAR710W
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1.5A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 2.0|
|iPhone||6S or newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Screen Type||Swipeable (Capacitive)|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, FLAC|
Wired or Wireless Android Auto: The Jensen CAR710W digital multimedia receiver supports Android Auto with select Android smartphones using a wireless or wired connection. A Google or Samsung smartphone with Android OS 10.0+ or any smartphone with Android OS 11.0+ and 5GHz WiFi can utilize Android Auto Wireless with the Jensen receiver using the latest version of the Android Auto app, plus a WiFi and Bluetooth connection. Android smartphones running Lollipop 6.0 or higher can also be hardwired to the Jensen receiver via USB and Bluetooth. Android Auto brings the most useful apps of your Android smartphone to the Jensen in-dash receiver, making it easier for you to keep your main focus on driving. You can control things like navigation maps, phone calls, text messages, music, and more using the head unit's touchscreen or your voice and Google Assistant. With large touchscreen icons, a simplified user interface, and the Google Assistant, it's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road. Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible
- Google Assistant: With Google Assistant on Android Auto, you can keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel while using your voice to help you with your daily commute. Simply say, "Ok Google" or press the mic button to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Navigation Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. You can use the unit's touchscreen or Google Assistant to select your destination and route. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Calls & Messages: Android Auto's Google Assistant lets you stay connected while you're driving. The Google Assistant lets you use voice commands to call phone numbers and your favorite contacts, as well as read-reply-send text messages; all while keeping your hands on the wheel.
- Music Apps: Android Auto gives you access to your Android smartphone's music library via YouTube Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen or the Google Assistant to select songs, artists, albums, or playlists. You also get access to select music apps on your Android smartphone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- The head unit's USB port is attached to the rear-chassis via 46" cable, if you choose to use a wired connection. Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
- Any other devices connected via Bluetooth will be disconnected during Android Auto use.
Wired or Wireless Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your Apple iPhone in your vehicle. Your iPhone can be connected to the Jensen CAR710W wirelessly via WiFi + Bluetooth, or hardwired via USB. An iPhone 6S or newer (running iOS 9.0+) is required for a wireless connection, while an iPhone 6S or newer (running iOS 7.1+) is required for a hardwired connection. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on the display of the in-dash receiver. You can use the head unit's touchscreen or your voice and Siri to get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music - all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road.
- Maps: Apple Maps will be mirrored on the screen, including traffic information and estimated time to destination. Use the head unit's touchscreen or ask Siri to get turn-by-turn directions. You can search by address, favorites, recents, points-of-interestes, and more. CarPlay can even predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can also choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: Use the head unit's touchsceen or ask Siri to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemail messages. Caller ID information will be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Messages: Ask Siri to send, read, and reply to text messages. This hands-free operation minimizes distraction and allows you to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music: You can access music by artist, song, playlist, and more through the receiver's touchscreen or via Siri. The receiver will dispaly artist/song/album information (including album art in the background). You can access your iPhone's iTunes music library, as well as Apple Music. In addition, you can access other music apps that you have on your iPhone; including Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, & more.
- Apple HomeKit: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Other Applications: In addition to navigation and music apps, Apple CarPlay supports a variety of other applications ranging from Podcasts, Audiobooks, Sports, News, Weather, and More.
- When CarPlay is in use, the unit's Bluetooth will turn off automatically and hands-free phone functionality will operate through CarPlay. Any other devices connected via Bluetooth will be disconnected during CarPlay use.
- The rear-panel USB port is attached to the head unit via a 46" cable, if you choose to use a wired connection. Use a USB-to-Lightning cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable.
GPS Antenna: The included GPS antenna must be installed for wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to function. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the front of vehicle on the dash or pillar.
Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
Smartphone Charging: The Jensen CAR710W will also charge your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via the rear-panel USB (5V/1.5A) with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen CAR710W is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Multi-Device Pairing: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the CAR710W. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Jensen head unit, but only one can be used at a time. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the device and receiver.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Jensen CAR710W.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ external mic): The CAR710W supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer and make a call from the head unit's touchscreen, so you can carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the CAR710W, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook using the Jensen CAR710W's touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the CAR710W's touchscreen.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen CAR710W allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the CAR710W. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist/album text information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
AM/FM + SiriusXM Radio
AM/FM Tuner: The Jensen CAR710W features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual seek, direct, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM stations and 12 AM stations for a total of 30 presets. The unit even offers a preset scan function, allowing you to quickly scan through your available presets on a current AM or FM band. You can also select between North American and European tuning.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Jensen CAR710W is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include -
- Channel List & Cateogry Search: Channel list displays a list of all available channels. Category Search allows you to searche for channels in a certain genre or category.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title (including album art & station logo) can be viewed on the head unit's touchscreeen monitor.
- 18 Presets: You can save up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for quick and easy access. Stored
SiriusXM presets also offer unique features such as Replay, TuneStart, and TuneScan.
- Replay: When you select a SiriusXM preset you can rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of any of the missed news, talk, sports or music content.
- TuneStart: With the TuneStart feature, you can hear the beginning of the song when you tune to one of your SiriusXM Preset channels. It may take a minute or two for the feature to work after power up or after changing preset bands.
- TuneScan: With TuneScan, the unit can play samples from the start of multiple buffered songs from each of your SiriusXM Preset music channels. This gives you easy access to a large sampling of music content from your favorite SiriusXM stations.
- Parental Controls: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked and are only accessible through a custom pass-code.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
USB Port: The Jensen CAR710W is equipped with a rear-panel USB port (attached to rear-chassis via 46" cable) that supports connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device formatted in FAT 16/FAT 32 for playback of a variety of music and video files. The Jensen CAR710W supports a variety of music and video files via USB. For audio playback, it supports MP3 (up to 320kbps) and FLAC (up to 48kHz) music files. For video playback, it supports Xvid and MP4 movie files. The unit can recognize up to 2000 total files, 200 folders, and 2000 files per folder.
- Control: During USB playback, you can access a list of all files and folders on a device. You can also control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random functions.
- Display: The unit's touchscreen monitor will display song/artist/album information (including album art) of music files loaded on a USB MSC device.
- Charging: The USB port (5V/1.5A) will charge the battery of a connected electronic mobile device, when the radio and your vehicle is turned on.
Note: The USB port does not support the connection of a USB-hub or card-reader.
AV Input: The Jensen CAR710W digital media receiver features a rear-panel AV input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks for connecting an external audio/video source, such as a DVD player or game console.
Note: The Jensen CAR710W does not offer an audio/video output.
Rearview Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to the reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.9 seconds. The unit offers a 12V/0.5A accessory power and ground lead to supply power to your optional backup camera once the vehicle's reverse gear is detected.
Note: The rearview camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rearview camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rearview camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CAR710W are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the Jensen CAR710W are as follows:
- CTA2006 Specs: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
4V/6Ch Preamp Outputs + Subwoofer Control: The Jensen CAR710W is outfitted with six 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading with a separate level control (0-15). The subwoofer output does not have a built-in low-pass crossover. You'll need to use a subwoofer amplifier that has its own low-pass crossover filter.
Equalizer: The Jensen CAR710W features a built-in Equalizer with an 8-band graphic EQ and 8 EQ presets. The 8 EQ presets consist of Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Electric, Flat (default), Soft, and User. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the 8-band graphic EQ (20, 60, 150, 400, 1k, 3k, 7k, 15k Hz) from -12 to +12dB.
Time Alignment: Built-in Time Alignment allows you to adjust the delay and distance between the front and rear speakers, as well the subwoofer to the seated listening positions in the vehicle. You can save 3 custom user Time Alignment profiles.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
7" Capacitive Touchscreen Monitor: The Jensen CAR710W features a 7" capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor with LED backlight and a resolution of 1,152,000. The 7" capacitive touchscreen monitor makes it easy to see the receiver's on-screen menu and information, as well as operate the receiver's functions and browse your music.
- Brightness & Dimmer: You can manually adjust the touchscreen monitor's brightness level (0-20). You can set the LCD monitor's dimmer mode to Auto, Day, or Night. The Day mode brightens the display, while the Night mode dims the display. Auto mode changes the brightness level from Day or Night automatically when you turn on and off your vehicle's headlights. The orange illumination wire of the harness must be connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit.
- Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the touchscreen monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink parking brake wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged. The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view most of the head unit's menu screens/settings; as well as source information, metadata, album artwork, CarPlay, and Android Auto.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to its 7" capacitive touchscreen, the Jensen CAR710W offers front-panel hard-key controls which consist of 5 push-buttons that operate frequently used functions such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Home Menu, Voice Control, and Mute.
Optional Steering Wheel Control: The head unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
27 questions already asked