About the Jensen CMN8620
Much more than just maps in your dash
Much more than just maps in your dash
Jensen's been recognized a great value brand in the car stereo world for years, but they don't rest on their laurels by pushing out essentially the same product every 30 months or so — they work hard to meet customer demands for new and exciting features. And the Jensen CMN8620 digital multimedia receiver with navigation is no exception, as it boasts a highly readable 6.8" capacitive touchscreen, handy phone integration features, and ready-to-roll maps for your road adventures. It also helps keep you entertained with audio upgrades and video file playback capability, so you're sure to enjoy the journey and your time once you've reached your destination.
Guidance at your fingertips
The CMN8620 boasts maps of the entire U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, with an extensive database of over 10 million points of interest. You'll see the maps laid out clearly on the receiver's easy-to-follow 6.8" touchscreen, while the intuitive user interface makes finding your way a piece of cake. With the capacitive touchscreen, you can pinch-to-zoom for map details and other relevant materials that you might miss at first glance.
iGO primo navigation software ensures you're getting the most reliable routes, while lane guidance keeps you on the right path for your next maneuver. In some instances, you'll see realistic depictions of complicated intersections or 3D representations of buildings and landmarks to help orient yourself. When you're ready for a map update, the front-panel SD map card slot makes it easy to get current.
Dedicated smart assistant button
Jensen recognizes that our phones are not getting any less important to our day-to-day activities, so they designed the CMN8620 digital multimedia receiver with a dedicated push-to-talk button for your smart voice assistant. Whether you use Siri® from Apple, Google Assistant™, or Samsung's Bixby, you'll be able to summon your assistant quickly by pushing the convenient button on the stereo's bezel.
Bluetooth® for hands-free convenience
Built-in Bluetooth connectivity lets you make and take calls with your compatible phone through the CMN8620. This Jensen gives you full access to your phonebook, so you can keep your phone safely stowed away, and a built-in microphone means less time running wire during your installation.
Stream your tunes
Built-in A2DP technology allows you to stream music from your smartphone through this receiver, so you can access all the music on your Android phone or iPhone®, whether it's stored music files or streaming services.
Your media on the go
This receiver offers a rear aux input connection for more audio sources. Load up your thumb drive with tunes for your travels — the receiver's rear USB port provides convenient access, not to mention plenty of charging power for your devices. And if you've got your digital video files on a thumb drive, you can watch them on the stereo's generous 6.8" display while parked.
Sonic delights galore
No matter your audio source, the CNB8620's 10-band equalizer lets you tweak the settings to suit your listening preferences. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of 4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs.
Add up to two cameras
You can also connect both front- and rear-view cameras, so you can see more of what's around your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs or DVDs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 6.8" capacitive touchscreen (1024 x 600 resolution)
- built-in GPS navigation (8GB microSD memory card with maps included and must remain installed in the stereo's card slot)
- remote control
Smartphone Features: (see Details for info on compatibility)
- dedicated button for smart voice assistants (Siri, Google Assistant, Samsung Bixby)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 10 million points of interest
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of buildings and landmarks
- plays content from USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 10-band equalizer with 6 preset curves
- subwoofer level control with low-pass filter
- inputs: front SD card input (for mapping only); rear USB input with rapid charging; rear aux input (minijack); front- and rear-view camera inputs
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, and mono sub); rear video output
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- compatible with most steering wheel audio controls (adapter required) see Details for more information
- internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CMN8620
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 6.8" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- 8GB microSD map card (pre-installed)
- Wiring harness
- AV/Preout harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- GPS antenna (attached 10' cable terminated by SMB connector)
- 2 Brackets
- 4 ISO-screws
- Two-sided tape
- Quick Start Guide
Jensen CMN8620 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen CMN8620
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N/A|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N/A|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
iGO Primo Next Gen & TomTom Navigation: The Jensen CMN8620 contains map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands with over 10,000,000 points-of-interests from TomTom; all stored on the pre-installed 8GB microSD card (the microSD card must remain installed at all times). The map database was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. The CMN8620 employs iGO Primo Next Gen navigation software for turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to your selected destination. The software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included on-screen navigation map.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2019), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: iGO offers periodic updates (purchase fees will apply) for data such as roads, new addresses, and other navigational information that will keep the Jensen navigation system up to date and provide the best possible experience. For updates and add-on options, please visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac). A free program called "Toolbox" can be downloaded from this website so you can create a copy of your map as a backup, as well as assist in easily checking for updates and optional features that are available.
Note: You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Jensen CMN8620 features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted on top of your dash inside the vehicle or on the roof outside of the vehicle.
- Start-Up Time: The Jensen CMN8620 takes approximately 9.7 seconds to go from "off" to the last source selected. The unit takes approximately 30.1 seconds to go from "off" to the navigation map.
- Calculation Time: The navigation receiver took approximately 15.7 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles, California or Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based your surrounding area and available GPS signal.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 3D/2D Map View: Switch between a 3D or 2D map view. The 3D map view provides three-dimensional terrain (including hills & mountains), elevated roads (like overpasses or bridges), plus three-dimensional landmarks and buildings. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: You can continue to listen to a selected source while viewing the on-screen navigation map.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Jensen CMN8620's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel view, plus freeway services.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings will not distract you.
- Freeway Services: When you are driving on a freeway, the map will display the next few service stations and restaurants available at the upcoming exits.
Audible Alerts: The Jensen CMN8620 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely. It does not offer Text-to-Speech (only turn-by-turn instructions).
- Voice Guidance: In addition to graphic directions, the CMN8620 provides voice guidance with turn-by-turn instructions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The CMN8620 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: While navigating, other sources may be selected and listened to; such as AM/FM Tuner, USB, & Bluetooth. The unit will mute the audio of the other source during navigation voice-prompts.
Destinations & Location: The Jensen CMN8620 provides you with your location status, as well as offers you a variety of ways to search for a destination.
- Find Destination: From the "Find" menu, you can select your destination by entering an address or selecting a place of interest (11,000,000 POIs), a location on the map or one of your Favorite destinations. You can also look up your recent destinations from Smart History, enter a coordinate, or use the location saved in a photo. iGO primo offers you several ways of choosing your destination:
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Enter a full address or a part of an address; for example a street name without a house number or the names of two intersecting streets. Or enter ZIP code only; this way you do not need to select the name of the city and the search for street names might be faster as well.
- POIs: Search over 10 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, along route, near your destination, or around a city. Quick Search POI categories make it easier to search for Gas Stations, Accommodations, Restaurants, and Parking.
- Favorites: You can save your favorite addresses (like home & work) and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling.
- History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggests these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Search In All: You can enter a destination by simply typing in a "keyword" and the unit will search for Addresses, POIs, Favorites, and History.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
- Where Am I & Help Nearby: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for Car Repair, Health Agencies, Police, and Gas Stations around your area.
Route Calculation: The Jensen CMN8620 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Emergency, Bus, Truck, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method (Fast, Short, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fast: gives a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Short gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Plan A Trip: Plan a trip with the CMN8620 using Route Planner and preview your trip on the Itinerary page, plus get a simulated look at your pre-calculated route.
- Route Planner: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position.
- Itinerary Page: The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns.
- Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Modify Your Route: Modify your route before you get started or while in route to your destination.
- Route Alternatives: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take.
- Detour: You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route.
- Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Trip Monitor & Logs: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip Logs can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen CMN8620 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the CMN8620.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ integrated mic): The CMN8620 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The unit's front-panel integrated microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can increase or decrease the volume level of a call, using the head unit's rotary knob on the front panel. You can also transfer calls between the receiver and your Bluetooth enabled phone.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the CMN8620, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook (manually transferred) using the Jensen's CMN8620 touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the CMN8620's touchscreen. If your phone supports voice recognition, you can even use your voice to dial a number from your contacts.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen CMN8620 allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the CMN8620. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Push-To-Talk Voice Assistant: When connected via Bluetooth to an iPhone with Siri or Android smartphone with Google Assistant or Bixby, you can access the mobile device's digital voice assistant through the Jensen receiver by pressing the "Push-to-Talk" button on the touchscreen. You'll speak your command into the head unit's front-panel microphone and the digital voice assistant will be heard through your vehicle's speakers (music playback will be attenuated). Compatible digital voice assistant functions include hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more. You'll be able to ask your digital voice assistant get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your compatible smartphone. The head unit's audio is attenuated while the digital voice assistant provides voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other digital voice assistant functions are only audible through the Jensen head unit; visual data will still need to be viewed from your smartphone device).
CTA-2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Jensen CMN8620 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CMN8620 are as follows -
- CTA-2006 Specs: 16 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
4V/5Ch Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The Jensen CMN8620 is equipped with five 4.0-volt pre-outs (Front/Rear/Mono-Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading. The CMN8620 also offers Subwoofer Control with an adjustable low-pass crossover filter (Off/80/120/160Hz) and separate level control (0-14) for the unit's mono-Sub pre-out.
Equalizer: The Jensen head unit offers 6 EQ presets (Classic, Rock, Pop, Dance, Flat, User) that can be easily selected to tailor the sound to your genre of music. The User preset allows you to manually adjust the receiver's 10-band EQ (32, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) so you can further fine-tune the sound to match your music content and preference. EQ settings are saved by source input (not globally).
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
Source Level: The level (-6 to +6) of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, preset, and direct tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- Preset Tuning: The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can also automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band.
- Local Seek: The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
- Direct Tuning: The built-in AM/FM tuner also allows direct frequency tuning through the unit's touchscreen panel.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (this can be turned On or Off).
USB Port: The Jensen CMN8620 is equipped with a rear-panel USB port (attached to the rear-chassis via a 31" cable) for playback of audio and photo files from a connected USB mass storage class device formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 - such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. Supported media files include XviD/MP4 video files, MP3 music files, and JPEG photo files.
- Control: The CMN8620 provides various playback & search functions to find and enjoy your MP3/WMA music files. Playback functions include Play/Pause & Random/Repeat. Search functions include Folder/File List & Previous/Next Track.
- Display: The CMN8620 will display artist name, song title and album title (including album art). It also displays the elapsed playing time of a song or track.
- Charging: The USB port (5V/1A) will also charge USB enabled devices, such as your smartphone.
Notes: This head unit's USB port does not support Apple iOS or Android devices, USB hubs, or card readers.
Aux Input: The Jensen CMN8620 receiver is equipped with a rear-panel Aux input that consists of a 3.5mm jack for connection an external portable audio device with a headphone jack or analog output. The Aux input only support audio playback (not video compatible).
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest or overhead monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a USB video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Dual Camera Inputs: The Jensen CMN8620 is outfitted with two camera inputs; one backup camera input (with audio input) and one front camera input.
- Backup Camera Input (with audio input): The backup camera input consists of a composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rearview camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is automatically displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (green/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic rearview video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. The backup camera input even features a mono-RCA audio input for compatible rearview camera models, so you can also hear what's behind you.
- Front Camera Input: In addition to the backup camera input, the CMN8620 features a front camera input that consists of a composite video RCA jack and allows you to connect a front camera or dash camera (sold separately). The front camera input can be accessed from the touchscreen monitor's on-screen menu. The front camera input will display on the navigation receiver's LCD monitor and remain on display until you deactivate the front camera input.
Note: The camera inputs are meant as a driving aid only; never solely rely on the camera inputs when driving. In addition to using the camera inputs, always look around you to make sure everything is clear when maneuvering your vehicle.
6.8" Capacitive Touchscreen Monitor: The Jensen CMN8620 features a 6.8" capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor with LED backlit and a resolution of 1,152,00. The capacitive touchscreen provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text. It also provides highly responsive touchscreen operation. There are also five touch-sensitive buttons along the left edge of the screen for the most frequently used functions; such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Home.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the head unit's pink wire must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
IR Remote: The Jensen CMN8620 comes with a 21-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the in-dash navigation receiver; including push-to-talk, answering/ending phone calls, and access to the navigation map screen.
Optional Steering Wheel Controls: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (see Accessories tab).
The Jensen CMN8620 replaces these items
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 10 million points of interest
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
4 questions already asked