About the Jensen CMR8629
The ease of a touchscreen
The ease of a touchscreen
If it's been a while since you've upgraded to an aftermarket receiver, I've got lots of good news for you and it starts with the banishment of tiny, convoluted buttons. It's a touchscreen world, and Jensen's CMR8629 gives you a 6.8" display at a reasonable price, plus straightforward push-button volume control. Management of your music sources, hands-free calling, and more is a breeze thanks to big icons. Plus, a video input lets you incorporate a backup cam for a little more safety when you're driving.
Bluetooth for music and calling
Bluetooth makes hands-free calling easy, plus you can stream from your favorite music and podcast apps wirelessly.
Jensen lets you rock out to your old standby AM/FM stations, but with a built-in rear USB input, you can conveniently listen to your favorite music. And while the car is parked and the parking brake is engaged, you can view compatible video that's stored on a USB drive. Jensen also builds in an aux input for portable music players.
Build a bigger system
Use the CMR8629's 8-band EQ to bring out what's great in your tunes. And if you have a more expansive system in mind, use the three sets of preamp outputs to connect an amp or powered sub.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital multimedia receiver
- 6.8" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- video playback from a USB drive
- plays MP3 and WMA files on USB
- 8-band graphic equalizer
- inputs: rear audio input (mini), rear USB input, front SD card slot, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CMR8629
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ integrated touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 2 Brackets
- 4 Pan-head screws
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- Quick Start Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen CMR8629
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Built-In Bluetooth: The Jensen CMR8629 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (such as iPhone or Android) to the head unit.
- Hands-Free Communication: The CMR8629 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication (HFP) from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free (you can also set the receiver to automatically answer an incoming call). The integrated front-panel microphone (no external mic input) carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can also make a call using the head unit's touchscreen; supported call functions include Phonebook Contacts, Direct Dial Keypad, and Recent Call Log.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The CMR8629 supports wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), allowing you to wirelessly streaming and control audio content on your Bluetooth source device through the Jensen receiver. You can control basic music playback functions including Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device). This unit will even display song/artist/album information (no album art) on its touchscreen monitor. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
- You will need to initially pair your Bluetooth enabled device with the Jensen CMR8629. Only one device can be paired and connected at a time to the CMR8629.
- This unit does not suppot an external microphone.
microSD Card Slot & USB Port: The Jensen CMR8629 features a front-panel microSD card slot and rear-panel USB port (attached to rear-chassis by 31" pigtail) for playback of MP3/WMA music files, XviD/MP4 video files, and JPEG photo files loaded onto a microSD/SDHC memory card or USB thumbdrive. The unit supports microSD/SDHC memory cards and USB thumdrives up to 64GB. Your microSD/SDHC memory card or USB thumbdrive must be formatted in FAT 16/32. The USB port (5V/1A) will also charge USB enabled devices, such as your smartphone. The microSD card slot and USB port is located behind a flip-out cover on the front-panel.
- Playback Control: The CMR8629 provides various playback & search functions to find and enjoy your MP3/WMA music files, XviD/MP4 video files, and JPEG photo files. Playback functions include Play/Pause & Random/Repeat. Search functions include Folder/File List & Previous/Next Track.
- Song/Artist/Album Display: The CMR8629 will display artist name, song title and album title (including album art). It also displays the elapsed playing time of a song or track.
- Video and photo playback is only possible when you have connected the head unit's Pink wire to your vehicle's parking brake circuit and the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- This head unit's USB port does not support, Apple iOS devices, Android OS devices, USB hubs, or card readers.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, preset, and direct tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- Preset Tuning: The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can even automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band. In addition, there is a preset Scan function that allows you to quickly search through your presets on the current selected band.
- Local Seek: The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
- Direct Tuning: The built-in AM/FM tuner also allows direct frequency tuning through the unit's touchscreen panel.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Rear Aux Input: The Jensen CMR8629 features a rear-panel Aux input that consists of stereo RCA jacks for the connection of an external audio source device.
Note: This unit does not offer a video input.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CMR8629 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CMR8629 are as follows -
- CTA2006 Specs: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
2V/6Ch Pre-Outs: The Jensen CMR8629 is outfitted with six 4.0-volt pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading. Even though the unit has a subwoofer output, it offers no built-in low pass crossover filter or subwoofer control.
EQ: The Jensen digital media receiver offers 6 EQ Presets that are easily adjustable, and an 8-Band EQ that provides manual adjustment. The 6 EQ Presets include Classic, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Flat or User. The User mode allows manual adjustment of the unit's 8-Band EQ (62, 150, 400, 1k, 3k, 7k, 12k, 16k Hz). EQ settings are saved by source input (not globally).
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
Source Level: You can increase the relative volume (+/-7dB) of the unit's source inputs to match the external source's output level. The Source Level can be used for the receiver's Tuner, USB, microSD, Aux or Bluetooth sources.
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
6.8" Capacitive Touchscreen LCD: The Jensen CMR8629 is equipped with a 6.8" capacitive touchscreen LCD monitor for bettery visibility and faster control. The unit provides brightness, gamma, contrast, sharpness, saturation, and hue adjustments. It also lets you select between 4 different wall-paper backgrounds. The 6.8" has a fixed position and does not offer angle adjustment. In addition to the capactivie touchscreen controls, there are five frequently used touch-senstivie controls (Power, Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Menu) along the left edge of the screen for quick access.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the head unit's Pink wire must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Remote Control: The Jensen head unit comes with an IR remote and supports many vehicle's steering wheel controls (adapter required).
- IR Remote The Jensen CMR8629 comes supplied with a 21-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the digital media receiver, including Bluetooth hands-free phone functions.
- Optional SWC Interface: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (see Accessories tab).
Front & Rear Camera Inputs: The Jensen CMR8629 features dual camera inputs for adding a front-view and/or rear-view camera (both sold separately - see Accessories Tab). There is a front camera input and a rear camera input. Both camera inputs consist of a composite RCA jack. The rear camera input also features a corresponding analog audio input that consists of a mono-RCA jack. The rear camera input also features automatic video switching when the head unit's Green/White wire is connected to your vehicle's reverse light circuit and your vehicle is put into reverse gear. The automatic video switching delay can be set to 0.5, 2, or 3 seconds.
Video Output: A composite video-output jack allows you to add an external monitor, such as an overhead or rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output will display whatever image is being displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor. This includes the warning "Video Is Disabled For Your Safety" when trying to watch video from a USB MSC device or microSD card without the vehicle's parking brake engaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to see video from these sources through the head units' video output.