About the Jensen VX3518
You're in charge
You're in charge
Slip behind the wheel, turn the key, and enjoy the moment as the Jensen VX3518 DVD receiver's 7" touchscreen display motors out to serve as a control center for your system and your music. You can use the built-in Bluetooth® to stream your music library or favorite apps from your smartphone, as you take and make calls while keeping your hands on the wheel. On a long road trip? Use the dual video outputs to send video to rear-seat screens (not included) so you can keep the family entertained.
The retractable screen angles back slightly, so check your dash to make sure it won't hit anything or block any important vents when it opens.
Pandora® control with your iPhone®
When you're cruising for yourself, take your carefully curated Pandora stations on the road. The VX3518 lets you control content right from the touchscreen. For more entertainment options, this Jensen will play nearly any kind of disc, while the front USB input lets you pull songs from thumb drives or your iPhone®. You'll set the sound the way you want it with Jensen's 8-band equalizer.
Experience satellite radio
If you're a satellite radio fan, you can connect a SiriusXM® tuner (sold separately) and start enjoying the wide variety of music, sports, news, and entertainment available. If you haven't experienced satellite radio, you'll be blown away by the incredible selection of music and more that comes with your subscription. Plus, you can drive all the way across the USA without losing your favorite channels.
The VX3518 also includes rear audio/video inputs so you can add on a portable audio player, camcorder, or other video sources too. For the safety-minded, a dedicated input on the rear panel accepts an optional rear-view camera.
Want to keep your steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver
- 7" motorized retractable touchscreen
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- Pandora control with iPhone
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 8-band equalizer
- works with SiriusXM tuner
- inputs: front and rear USB inputs (rear for charging only), front aux in (minijack), rear A/V input (RCA), rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, mono subwoofer), two rear video outputs
- built-in amp (14 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VX3518
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ retractable 7" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring/preamp harness
- AV/preout harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 10.5' cable terminated by a mono-3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive mount
- 4 ISO-screws
- Rear support stud
- Self-tapping screws
- 2 Lock-washers
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Guide
- "STOP" note
Jensen VX3518 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Jensen VX3518
Features & specs
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen VX3518 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the VX3518.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The VX3518 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls, or using voice recognition.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. Any audio playback will be attenuated during a call.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's front-panel controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook using the Jensen VX3518. In addition, you can make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed). You can even use your voice to make a call by pressing the "Voice Access" icon on the on the BT Phone menu screen of the head unit (your phone must also support voice recognition).
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen VX3518 allows you to play back stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device. You can control basic music playback functions; including Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the VX3518 (advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device). This unit will even display song/artist/album information (no album art) on its touchscreen monitor. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
iPod/iPhone USB Direct (Lightning Connector Only): The Jensen VX3518 supports direct connection of select Apple iPods and iPhones with a Lightning connector through its front-panel USB port (not compatible with rear-panel USB port). The unit offers audio playback, control, song/artist/album display, and charging of your Apple device through its USB port.
- Music Browsing: You can use the VX3518's touchscreen to browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also access a music track directly by using the head unit's touchscreen keypad. In addition, you can activate Random & Repeat playback modes. Your Apple Lightning device will still allow you to navigate stored content and apps from the Apple device's touchscreen.
- Song/Artist/Album Display: The Jensen VX3518 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music and select music apps. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's front-panel USB connection provides 2.1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: The unit's rear-panel USB port only supports charging (not iPod/iPhone music playback).
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Jensen VX3518 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and support the following iPod/iPhone model features (7/26/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
- Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Jensen VX3518 using your front-panel USB connected Apple iPhone. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Jensen VX3518 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information (including Album Art).
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Jensen VX3518 is SiriusXM Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Direct Channel input allows you to directly enter a station number using the remote control
- Information such as Channel Name w/ Channel Art, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, scan, preset, and direct tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- Preset Tuning: The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can also automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band.
- Local Seek: The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
- Direct Tuning: The built-in AM/FM tuner also allows direct frequency tuning through the unit's touchscreen panel.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Disc Compatibility: The Jensen VX3518 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The VX3518 supports playback of DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports a variety of video, audio, and photo files recorded on to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
- Off Insert: You can insert a disc with the unit powered off; you cannot eject a disc with the unit powered off.
- Auto Reload: If the disc is not removed from the disc slot within 10 seconds of being ejected, it will be automatically reloaded to prevent it from being accidentally damaged.
- Parental Lock: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
Dual USB Ports: The Jensen VX3518 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port for audio/video/photo files and a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for charging purposes only.
- Front-Panel USB Port: The front-panel USB port enables playback of a variety of audio, video, and photo files downloaded on a USB MSC device (such as a USB thumbdrive) that is formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The front-panel USB port (2.1A) will also charge your connected device. *The front-panel USB port does not support playback of Android OS devices.
- Rear-Panel USB Port: The rear-panel USB port only supports charging of mobile devices (it does not support audio/video/photo file playback). USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the rear USB port (1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The USB ports do not support USB hubs or card-readers.
File Compatibility: The Jensen VX3518 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3, WMA|
|Max # of Files/Folders||1500 total files/folders|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA-tags, Album Art|
Search Functions: The VX3518 provides various search functions to find your music, videos, and photos.
- Folder/File Search: This menu screen provides a search list for music, video, or photo files stored on your CD-R/RW disc or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Fast Reverse: You can fast forward or reverse a track/chapter when playing a disc or USB device.
- Direct Search: During disc or USB playback you can use the numeric keypad on the touchscreen display to access a chapter/track directly.
Playback Functions: The Jensen VX3518 offers a variety of playback functions to enjoy your music, video, and photo files.
- Repeat Play: Repeat Chapter, Titles, Tracks, and Folders on a disc or USB device.
- A-B Repeat: A-B Repeat allows you to repeat a specific section of a DVD.
- Random Play: When playing a disc or USB device, you can play audio tracks/files in random order.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Jensen VX3518 is equipped with a high-performance 24-bit, 192kHz digital-to-analog converter (Cirrus Logic CS4361) for your digital music.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the VX3518 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the VX3518 are as follows:
- CTA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
4V/5Ch Pre-Outs: The Jensen VX3518 is equipped with five 4.0-volt pre-outs (Front/Rear/mono-Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: The VX3518 offers Subwoofer Control with an adjustable low-pass crossover filter (Off/80/120/160Hz) and separate level control (0-16) for the unit's mono-Sub pre-out.
8-Band EQ w/ Presets: The Jensen VX3518 features a six EQ presets to choose from; including Classic, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Electronic, and User. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 8-band EQ (80, 160, 320, 600, 1k, 3k, 8k, and 16k Hz). Each frequency is adjustable from -16dB to + 16dB.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
Source Level: You can increase the relative volume (0-6) of the unit's source inputs to match the external source's output level. The Source Level can be used for the VX3518's Radio, Disc, USB, Bluetooth, Pandora, AV inputs, or SiriusXM (optional tuner required).
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
Dual AV Inputs: The Jensen VX3518 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV minijack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Dual Video Outputs: Two RCA composite video-output jacks allow you to add external monitors, such as rear headrest monitors (sold separately). The video outputs will display whatever image is being displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor. This includes the warning "Video Is Disabled For Your Safety" when trying to watch video from a DVD, USB device, or AV inputs without the vehicle's parking brake engaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to see video from these sources through the head units' video output.
Rear View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video jack and mono-RCA audio jack for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen, as well as hear audio behind your vehicle through your vehicle speakers (camera must have audio jack).
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Auto Rear Switching: When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is automatically displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (green/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds.
7" Motorized-Retractable Touchscreen: The Jensen VX3518 features a motorized-retractable 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touchscreen LCD display with an adjustable viewing angle. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480p with 1,152,000 pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Wallpaper (Backgrounds): You can select between eight preset wallpapers or backgrounds (does not support custom images).
- Display Adjustments: You can adjust the touchscreen display's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, and sharpness (from -20 to +20). You can even adjust the monitor's angle for better visibility.
- Date & Time: The DVD receiver offers a 12- or 24-hour clock display which is visible from any source or menu screen. The clock & date are both visible on the main menu screen only.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the head unit's yellow/green wire must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Secondary Display & Front-panel Controls: In addition to the 7" touchscreen monitor, the Jensen VX3518 features a secondary 8-character/Segment type LCD screen, as well as front-panel controls This display can be used during music playback for track & song information. You will need to use the 7" LCD monitor display for menu functions and to view video.
- Secondary LCD Screen: The secondary 8-character/Segment type LCD screen can be used during music playback for track & song information. You will need to use the 7" LCD monitor display for menu functions and to view video.
- Variable Color Button Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial along the front-panel. You can customize the head unit's button illumination by adjusting Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-255).
Remote Control: The Jensen head unit comes with an IR remote and supports many vehicle's steering wheel controls (adapter required).
- IR Remote The head unit comes supplied with a 20-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the Jensen DVD receiver (excluding Bluetooth phone functions).
- Optional SWC Interface: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC (see Accessories tab).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked