About the Kenwood KVT-617DVD
Center your mobile video system around Kenwood's KVT-617DVD in-dash DVD player, and you're off to a great start. With just a few taps on the motorized, retractable 7" screen, you can change sources, select DVD menu items, choose the MP3 files you want to hear, and more. And Kenwood built in a host of inputs and outputs, so you can create an impressive entertainment package in your vehicle.
You can watch your favorite DVDs on the built-in screen whenever you're parked. It's easy to find your favorite scene or access a special feature just tap the screen to select options from the DVD's menu, instead of using a remote to make a cursor dance from option to option.
Add an external screen and wireless headphones to the audio/video output, and your passengers in the back can watch movies while you drive. Punch up dual-zone mode, and you can listen to the radio up front at the same time.
Whether you're listening to CDs, DVDs, or your MP3 and WMA files, it'll all sound great, thanks to the strong internal amplifier and comprehensive sound controls. If you want even stronger sound, connect external amplifiers to the front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs.
Connect extra audio/video gear like a game system or VCR to the two audio/video inputs to enhance your entertainment options. You can also add a compatible XM or SIRIUS satellite radio.
With the optional interface, you can also bring your iPod® along you'll use the KVT-617DVD's touchscreen controls to scroll through the iPod's menus, see song and artist information on the DVD player's screen, and even recharge the iPod's battery.
- DVD/CD player with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized, retractable 7" LCD video screen with touchscreen controls and six selectable backgrounds
- direct touchscreen selection of DVD menu items
- detachable control panel
- plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, JPEG images, and MP3/WMA discs
- System Q Sound Control
- System E's+ Advanced Crossover system
- Installer Memory saves audio settings when battery is disconnected
- XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add satellite radio for under $100, plus subscription)
- compatible with Kenwood navigation module
- compatible with Kenwood's iPod control interface
- CD changer controls
- two audio/video inputs
- rear-view camera input
- input for Kenwood navigation system
- TV tuner controls
- audio/video output
- dual-zone capability
- front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
- CR-2 AM/FM tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- wireless remote
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- DVD signal-to-noise ratio: 98 dB
- FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # KVT-617DVD
What's in the box:
Kenwood KVT-617DVD owner's manual
- AM/FM/DVD/Changer controller receiver
- Detachable protection panel
- Panel storage bag
- Trim ring
- Hideaway unit
- RC-DV430 Wireless remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 19.5' Connection cable (has 21-pin connector on each end)
- 19.5' Antenna cord extension (has a male Motorola plug on one end and a female Motorola plug on the other)
- 19.5' Hideaway unit wiring harness (has in-line 10A fuse)
- Head unit wiring harness with a 6.5' parking brake sensor lead and a 19.5' reverse lead (has in-line noise filter and 5A fuse)
- 2 Hideaway unit installation brackets
- 2 Head unit mounting brackets
- 2 Removal tools
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- Four M4 x 8mm machine screws (each screw has 1 flat washer and 1 lock washer)
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Installation Manual (English/French/Spanish/Portuguese)
- Warranty Card
- Hideaway mounting caution sheet
- Kenwood Car Audio Passport
Kenwood KVT-617DVD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Kenwood KVT-617DVD
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Screen Type||Basic (Resistive)|
|Key Button Color||Red or Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
DVD/Video CD Controls
External Device Controls
Inputs and Outputs
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Detachable Protection Panel: To prevent theft, the protection panel can be detached.
Motorized Video Display: This unit is equipped with a motorized 7" widescreen LCD that serves as a video monitor and system information display.
Touch Screen Controls: This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle and position for better visibility. The display slides forward and backward, allowing you to choose one of 4 slide positions. You can also choose one of 8 tilt angles.
Auto Open/Close: When this feature is active, the display automatically opens when the unit is turned on and closes when the unit is turned off.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the display's brightness, color, tint, contrast, and black level. Additionally, you can change the background and menu graphics.
Selectable Screen Viewing Modes: You can choose from the following screen modes:
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Just: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Cinema: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
Dual Zone Control: The head unit can send one audio source to the front speakers and front preamp outputs while simultaneously sending another audio source to the rear speakers and rear preamp outputs, with independent volume control for each zone.
System Q EX Sound Control: 6 EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, and Jazz. In addition, you may store your own settings under the User EQ curve. Each preset has its own bass center frequency, bass output level, bass Q factor, bass extension setting, middle center frequency, middle output level, middle Q factor, treble center frequency, and treble output level settings. For the User preset, you may adjust the following: bass center frequency (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150Hz), bass level (-8 to +8), bass Q factor (1.00, 1.25, 1.50 or 2.00), bass extension (On or Off), middle center frequency (500 Hz, 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0kHz), middle level (-8 to +8), middle Q factor (1.0 or 2.0), treble center frequency (10.0, 12.5, 15.0 or 17.5kHz), and treble level (-8 to +8). The System Q EX can be turned off in the menu, still allowing you to adjust the bass, middle and treble levels.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the System Q EX Sound Control settings according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
System E's+ Advanced Crossover System: The System E's+ Advanced Crossover system allows you to select independent high-pass filters for the front preamp/speaker outputs and rear preamp/speaker outputs. Each high-pass filter frequency may be set to 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, or Through (off). In addition, the unit has a low-pass filter for the non-fading preamp outputs. The low-pass filter may be set to 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Through (off). The phase of the non-fading preamp output may be set to Normal or Reverse.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner, which provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner incorporates an Automatic Noise Reduction Circuit (ANRC), along with the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC), for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC feature can be turned on or off.
Direct Access Tuning: When using the remote, you can directly access any radio station by entering the frequency on the numeric keypad.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations and TV stations. Up to 30 AM/FM stations and 20 TV stations can be given a name. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length.
RDS (Radio Data System): This unit supports the following RDS functions:
- PTY (Program Type): allows you to select RDS stations based on their program type, you can also scan stations based on their program type
- Radio Text: displays text info transmitted by RDS stations, if the station is not transmitting text, the unit will display "No Text", set radio text to scroll automatically, or it can be set to manual, which allows you to scroll one line at a time
- Traffic Information Function: if a traffic information station begins to broadcast a traffic bulletin while a disc is playing, the unit will automatically play the bulletin and return to the disc when the bulletin ends, this function may be turned on or off
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders, and 255 files per folder. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. This unit can recognize baseline JPEGs with a maximum resolution of 5120 x 3840 and progressive JPEGs with a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders, and 255 files per folder.
Disc Name Preset (DNPS): You may assign names to discs played in the internal CD player. Each disc name can be up to 16 characters long, and the receiver has a memory capacity for up to 10 discs. (See below for further DNPS features with CD changers)
B.M.S. (Bass Management System): When used with a compatible Kenwood eXcelon amplifier, you can adjust the bass boost level of the amplifier through this head unit. You may select Flat, or boost the bass of the amplifier by +6, +12 or +18. The center frequency of the bass boost can be adjusted using the B.M.S. Amp Frequency setting. This setting allows you to choose Normal or Low. When Low is selected, the center frequency is dropped 20-30%.
Display Dimming: This unit is equipped with an orange/white wire that Kenwood calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the illumination wire of this unit is connected to the headlamp circuit of your vehicle, and you turn your lights on, the display will dim to a preset level. The display brightness is not affected by the vehicle's dimmer control. When the Auto Dimmer function is turned on, the display automatically dims as it gets darker in the vehicle.
Weather Band Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood weather band tuner (sold separately). The optional tuner box allows you to tune in weather band radio stations. There are about 480 weather band radio stations in the United States, and this option allows you to tap into the information needed to prepare for outdoor activities such as sporting events, camping trips and days at the park.
DVD/Video CD Controls
DVD Functions: This unit allows you to perform the following DVD/Video CD functions: chapter search, track search, 3-speed slow motion play (forward and reverse), 3-speed scan play (forward and reverse), pause, and frame advance.
Direct Search: When playing a DVD, you can directly access a chapter or scene using the numeric keypad on the remote. When playing a Video CD, you can directly access a track or scene.
Multi-angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Repeat Play: During DVD playback, you can repeat the current title or current chapter. During Video CD playback, you can repeat the current track.
Zoom: When playing DVDs or Video CDs, you can enlarge the picture using the zoom feature. You can magnify the picture 2x, 3x, or 4x the normal size.
DVD Setup Menu: You can adjust the following settings in the setup menu:
- Screen Display Mode: allows you to select 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan & scan, or 16:9
- Menu Language: allows you to select the default menu language
- Subtitle Language: allows you to select the default subtitle language
- Audio Language: allows you to select the default audio language
- Dynamic Range: can be set to Wide, Normal, or Midnight
- Angle Mark Display: choose On or Off, When turned On, an angle mark is displayed when the scene has been recorded from multiple angles
- Parental Lock: select a parental control rating, protected by a 4-digit password
External Device Controls
iPod Compatibility: The optional Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod interface allows an iPod, iPod Mini, iPod photo, iPod nano, or iPod video portable digital music player with a dock connector to be controlled by this Kenwood unit. All the iPod buttons will be disabled when connected to this adapter and it will be controlled from the Kenwood receiver. With this optional interface, you'll be able to play your iPod music files through your Kenwood receiver and have all the titling information appear on the Kenwood's display. The KCA-iP500 is compatible with iPod, iPod mini, iPod photo, iPod nano, and iPod video models equipped with the dock connector. This includes (but is not limited to) 3rd generation iPod (software version 2.2), 4th generation iPod with click wheel (software version 3.0.2), iPod mini (software version 1.2), iPod photo (software version 1.0).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect vehicle tuner (item number 607SCC1) and the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50).
- Dock: Select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios can be controlled using the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50) and the SC-VDOC1 dock (item number 607SCVDOC1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input (adapter may be required).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item # 113HR100TR), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
TV Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-V300N TV tuner (sold separately, item number 113KTCV300).
Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. This unit features the following display features when connected to a compatible Kenwood CD-changer.
- Disc Name Preset (DNPS): When used with a compatible CD changer, this feature allows you to assign names to discs in the changer. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length. The number of names you can store depends on the CD changer that is connected to the head unit.
- CD Text/MD Display: When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer or an MD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
Inputs and Outputs
Back Panel of Head Unit:
- To Hideaway Unit: 21-pin jack on a 7" cable hardwired to the head unit, connects the head unit to the hideaway unit using the supplied connection cable
- Power: 8-pin jack for use with supplied head unit wiring harness
Front Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- FM/AM Antenna: female Motorola jack
- AV Input 1: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- AV Input 2: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- AV Output: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- Rear Camera Input: RCA composite video jack for use with an optional rear-view camera
- Front Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Sub Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Power: 16-pin jack for use with supplied hideaway wiring harness
Back Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- To 5L I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood changer
- To Monitor I/F: 21-pin jack that connects to the head unit using the supplied connection cable
- To TV-Tuner I/F: 20-pin proprietary jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood TV tuner
- To Navigation I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood navigation unit
- Width: 8.881"
- Height: 1.577"
- Depth: 8.849"
The Kenwood KVT-617DVD replaces these items
- DVD/CD/MP3/WMA playback
- retractable touch-screen video display
- 22 watts RMS x 4
Good stuff works great.
Elliott from tucson