About the Kenwood KDC-BT948HD
Can you have it all? Maybe not, but you'll come pretty close with Kenwood's KDC-BT948HD CD receiver. This great-looking car stereo will liven up your next journey with hands-free calling, HD Radio™ reception, PANDORA® Internet radio, and more.
Play your media, plus PANDORA® Internet radio
Plug your iPod® or iPhone® into the KDC-BT948HD's USB input and take charge from the receiver's controls. With your iPhone and the PANDORA® app, you can access your favorite stations from the face of the receiver, whenever you're in range of your network. And you'll find "thumbs-up" and "thumbs-down" ratings right at your fingertips for instant feedback when you're listening.
You can scroll through your albums, artists, and playlists, or use Direct Search to find the song you're looking for — just enter the first three letters of an artist, tune, or album to quickly narrow your search. Alphabet Search lets you zip right to the first letter of a song or album.
HD Radio for superior sound and more
HD Radio is changing the radio landscape, with its superior sound and additional programming. The KDC-BT948U's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you tune into that digital sound quality, access the extra programming offered on secondary channels, and tag tunes for future purchase at the iTunes® store.
Kenwood includes Bluetooth® functionality in this receiver so you can drive more safely. No fumbling for a phone when a call comes in. Just touch one button, and talk naturally like your caller is sitting next to you — you'll hear your caller through your car speakers.
Great sound tops it off
You'll find the audio tools you need to get the best possible performance in your car, including a 3-band parametric equalizer, built-in frequency filters, and more. And if you're the kind of person who lives for more power, you'll be happy with the three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs that deliver a low-noise signal to your outboard amps.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- built-in HD Radio tuner with iTunes tagging
- detachable face with multi-line variable-color LCD display
- wireless remote control
- 3-band parametric equalizer, plus 8 preset EQ curves
- high-pass filters (speaker and preamp outputs), low-pass filter (sub preamp output)
- speaker settings tailor the sound to the size and location of speakers in your car
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- built-in iPod controls — no iPod adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with PANDORA® and your iPhone
- compatible with optional satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- RC-405 Wireless remote control (with CR2025 3V lithium-battery installed)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (and attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector)
- Face pouch
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Two 2mm x 5mm mounting screws
- 2.5mm x 10mm machine screw
- Face-fixing screw
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood KDC-BT948HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KDC-BT948HD
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius or XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
Tuner Presets: The KDC-BT948HD's tuner lets you store up to 24 AM/FM stations (18 FM, 6 AM). The Kenwood head unit does not offer front-panel preset buttons. You will need to access the unit's presets through its menu system.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Tuning Modes: You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Note: You can also setup the KDC-BT948HD to search only HD Radio stations.
Direct Tuning: You can tune in a desired AM/FM radio station directly by entering the frequency number using the included remote control
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (package # 700SIRKENW, sold separately); or you can connect the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (package # 700SIRPKEN, sold separately), along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio
connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the CNP-KEN1 Kenwood adapter
cable (package item number
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls wirelessly from your mobile phone, using the Kenwood in-dash CD receiver. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of approximately 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Bluetooth Profiles: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD CD-Receiver features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 2.0) powered by Parrot. The KDC-BT948HD supports Bluetooth hands-free communication. The KDC-BT948HD supports the following Bluetooth profiles:
- HFP (Hands-Free Profile): Hands-free communication with your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone in the vehicle (incoming/outgoing calls supported).
- HSP (Headset Profile): Provides support for Bluetooth headsets to be used with mobile phones.
- OPP (Object Push Profile): Phonebook transfer from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to the head unit.
- PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile): Phonebook access from your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone to the head unit.
- SPP (Serial Port Profile): SPP defines how to set up virtual serial ports and connect two Bluetooth enabled devices.
- SYNC (Synchronization Profile): The SYNC profile enables synchronization of data information between Bluetooth-enabled devices.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth audio music streaming.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the KDC-BT948HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (with mounting bracket) featuring adjustable gain, so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers.
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone must be paired with the KDC-BT948HD before hands-free operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Kenwood head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Note: Not all Bluetooth mobile phones will be compatible. Visit http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/bt/index.php for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Auto Answer: The KDC-BT948HD can be setup to automatically answer an incoming call. You can have the head unit automatically answer a call immediately or after 1-99 seconds.
Dialing: Using the KDC-BT948HD, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 25 digits from the head unit's control knob or remote control.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's Control Knob.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KDC-BT948HD. Up to 1000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 25 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. Stored phone numbers can be categorized by General, Home, Office, Mobile, or Other. You can search each category of the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone. You can register up to 30 voice tags.
Call Waiting: The KDC-BT948HD supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
SMS: You can wirelessly download the short message (SMS) arrived at your cell-phone so that is can be read on the Bluetooth connected Kenwood head unit. Your cell-phone must support SMS for this feature to function. The SMS downloaded to this unit is cleared when this unit is turned off.
Note: You cannot send text messages using this unit (read only).
Private/Hands-Free Mode: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
External Microphone: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.515" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth).
Note: This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Detailed Settings: The KDC-BT948HD offers the following Bluetooth Detailed Settings, so you can configure the unit to suit your needs.
- Call Beep: You can choose to output a beep from your vehicle's speaker's when a call comes in, or you can turn this function off.
- Speaker Output: You can select whether the call beep and caller's voice is heard through only the front speakers or all speakers.
- Mic Gain: Adjusts the volume of the external microphone from -3 to +3.
- NR Level: Reduces the noises generated by the surrounding environment without changing the mic volume. The NR Level can be set to -2 or +2.
- EC Level: Adjusts the level of echo cancellation from -2 to +2.
USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD features a rear-panel USB (1.1/2.0) type-A port that is attached to unit's rear-chassis via a 34" pigtail. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) information. The head unit will display up to 60 characters. The KDC-BT948HD will also charge your connected USB device's battery, when the head unit is powered up.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
Music Editor Compatible: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995 supports the PC application, Kenwood Music Editor Lite (ver.1.1). Kenwood Music Editor Lite is a Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3 and WMA music files to your USB devices from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB device using Kenwood Music Editor Lite through this unit, you can search a file by title, album, or artist name using the head unit's Music Search function.
System Requirements: The Kenwood Music Editor Light (ver.1.1) Windows-based software can be downloaded for free from Kenwood.com to your PC. The Kenwood Music Editor Light is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Note: This software is not compatible with iPod or iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The KDC-BT948HD's rear-panel USB port also acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the KDC-BT948HD.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 110dB. The Kenwood head unit supports audio playback of music files and podcasts stored on your iPod or iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Browsing: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can then search these categories alphabetically or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%).
- High Speed Search: This function lets you scroll a group of tracks from the selected categories track list quickly.
- Playlists: You can create your own custom iPod/iPhone playlist (up to 10 songs) from the head unit.
- Related Search: You can browse for music of the same artist or
genre as the one being currently played. You can select between the
following Related Search modes.
- Search Artist: displays albums of the same artist
- Search Album: display music in the album in which the one being played is included
- Search Genre: displays artists of the same genre
- Search Composter: displays albums including music created by the same composer
- Repeat & Random: The head unit supports Repeat (file) & Random (all/folder) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Display: The KDC-BT948HD will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone via its clickwheel or touchscreen controls, the KDC-BT948HD will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display iPod MODE).
iTunes Tagging: Using the head unit's iTunes Tagging enabled HD Radio, you can tag your HD music while listening to the radio with your iPod/iPhone connected. When you hear a song you enjoy on your local HD Radio station, you only have to press the head unit's "HD" button" and the song's information will be saved to your connected iPod/iPhone. The saved songs will then show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the very next time you sync your iPod to your PC. Then you just need to click, buy, and download the song you tagged directly from the Apple iTunes Music Store. This unit can store up to 50 Tags.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood KDC-BT948HD using your connected Apple iPhone, via the Kenwood KCA-iP102 USB/iPod connector cable (sold separately), or the USB/Dock cable supplied with your iPhone. The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can search for new Pandora stations, select Pandora stations from your station list, and skip song tracks within a station. You can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Pandora App||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The KDC-BT948HD allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV. The Aux input must be turned on to function. The unit has 3 auxiliary input modes.
- On1: Outputs the sound of the external unit connected to the Aux terminal when switched to the Aux source.
- On2: Activates the attenuator function when turning on the power with the auxiliary source selected. This prevents the noise when no external unit is connected to the Aux terminal. Turn off the attenuator function when listening to output from an external unit.
- Off: Disables the selection of the Aux source.
Rear Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a rear-panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (113CAC1AX, sold separately) is used, you cannot connect the optional Sirius Satellite Radio tuner to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The KDC-BT948HD can play MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) audio files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 512 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) information. The head unit will display up to 60 characters.
Text Scroll: The KDC-BT948HD will display CD text or Audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to two different modes (Auto or Manual) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA/AAC music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob.
Direct Music Search: The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-405) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
High Speed Search: This function allows you to continuously scroll up or down your disc's track list at high speed.
Playback Modes: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD features the following Repeat, Random, and Scan playback modes.
- Repeat Play: Track, File, or Folder
- Random Play: Disc or Folder
- Scan Play: Track or File (plays the first 10-seconds of each music track on a disc or music file in a folder)
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD, CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Insert: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Changer Controls: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD offers connection and control of Kenwood's 10-disc CD-changer (113KDCC719, sold separately).
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-BT948HD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The KDC-BT948HD features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Note: You can turn the KDC-BT948HD's built-in amplifier off to improve the quality of the sound from the head unit's preamp outputs.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The KDC-BT948HD features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from "Through", 30, 40, 60, 80, 90 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle. You can also select the high-pass crossover slope ( for the front & rear channels.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD provides the following subwoofer preamp output controls.
- Low-Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the unit's subwoofer preamp output. You can select from 30, 50, 60, 90, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 250Hz, or "Through". The "Through" setting allows your external amplifier's crossover network to do all the filtering for your subwoofer.
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Rotary Volume Control: The CD receiver uses a 7-way rotary volume control that increases and decreases the volume of the stereo from 0 to 35. The rotary knob also controls other audio settings such as Balance, Fader, Bass, Mid, Treble and preset EQ settings. In addition, the rotary knob allows you to scroll through and select your music tracks when the Music Search function is activated.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0.
Supreme+ Setting: When MP3, WMA, and AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme+ Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme+ Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Excellence DSP to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Car Type: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Station Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van (Long), or Off
- Speaker Setting: The speaker X'over is automatically
set when the position and size of each speaker are select from the following
- Front: Location (Door, On Dash, or Under Dash); Size: (Small/Medium/Large); Tweeter (None or Use)
- Rear: Location (Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row; Size (Small/Medium/Large)
- Subwoofer: Size (None, Small, Large)
- X'Over: The Kenwood head unit provides
independent high-pass crossovers for the unit's front and rear
speaker/preamp outputs, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover.
- Front High Pass Filter: Frequency (40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz); or you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: Frequency (40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz); you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Frequency (40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz); or you can also select full-range; Phase (Normal/Reverse)
Note: The DSP function can be bypassed.
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings using the 3-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types), or User.
- 3-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to adjust the
following 3-Band center frequencies from -9 to +9 db.
- Band 1: choose from 60Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, or 400Hz
- Band 2: choose from 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, or 2.5kHz
- Band 3: choose from 4kHz, 6.3Khz, 10kHz, or 16kHz
Note: You can store equalizer settings for each source (CD, Tuner, Aux, USB, and iPod/iPhone).
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front.
Audio Preset: You can register two audio settings into the unit's preset memory to be recalled at any time. The Audio Preset memory can save Car Type Selection, Speaker Setting, Fine Adjustment, X'Over Setting, Equalizer, and/or Listening Position.
Bass Boost: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD features a two level Bass Boost to increase bass levels.
Highway Sound: This features compensates the low volume or bass sound being lost by road noises to make vocals sound clearer. You can set the Highway Sound function to 1, 2, 3, or off.
Dual Zone: The Dual Zone mode allows you to output the Main source and the Auxiliary input separately for the front and rear channels. You can select whether the auxiliary input will play in the front or the rear. You can adjust the volume of the rear channels independently from the front channels (0-35).
Detachable Fold-Down Face: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD features a fold-down, detachable face to deter theft. You must manually fold the face down before inserting or ejecting a disc. The CD player comes supplied with a soft black fabric, draw string face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can also be purchased for this unit.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 25 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (1-24: 0-9). The display and button illumination can be set to the same color or set independently.
Note: You can switch the in-dash head unit's display between a positive or negative effect. You can also adjust the display's contrast from 1-30.
Display Types: The KDC-BT948HD offers five different display types:
- 3-Line Display Mode: Displays up to 3 lines of text.
- 5-Line Display Mode: Displays up to 5 lines of text with spectrum analyzer and clock.
- iPod-Like Display mode: Displays iPod/iPhone source information only.
- Spectrum Analyzer: Displays up to 1 line of text with a spectrum analyzer
- Clock Display: Display a 12-hour clock with date (M/D/Y). You can even set times for two different cities (dual clock display).
Note: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD offers English, French, and Spanish menu text.
Illumination Effects: The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD offers two unique key-button illumination effects.
- Illumination Operation Sync: This function sets whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the key-button operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: This function set whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the system's sound & volume level.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player. You can also choose to dim the display manually.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned "on" or "off" within the menu.
Wireless Remote Control: The Excelon KDC-X995 comes with an IR remote control (RC-405) for wireless operation of the head unit. The remote will control Audio, CD, USB, and Tuner functions. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
- Numeric Keypad: The wireless remote control features a numeric keypad (0-9) which allows direct track access of your music tracks & files (from CD or USB), as well as AM/FM presets.
- Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Kenwood KDC-BT948HD replaces these items