About the Kenwood DDX573BH
An affordable multimedia centerpiece
An affordable multimedia centerpiece
Whether it's CDs, music on USB, streaming audio, or radio, I like to have all my options open when I'm on the road, and I know I'm not alone. Kenwood's DDX573BH DVD receiver includes Bluetooth®, a built-in HD Radio® tuner, an option for adding satellite radio, and serious connectivity for smartphones, all controlled by a sharp 6.2" touchscreen display. Add in the new super-simple user interface and some sleek styling, and you've got a versatile multimedia jukebox that'll look great in your dash.
Wireless convenience thanks to Bluetooth
Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. And if you're not the only driver, this Kenwood enables you to pair two phones and switch between them. An indicator on the receiver's display lets you know which phone is connected.
Video did not kill the radio star
Sure, you can pop in a CD, DVD, or USB drive for your music fix, but this receiver's strength lies within its radio options. Using its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can enjoy CD-quality sound from participating stations in your area. You can also take it a step further by adding an optional SiriusXM tuner for access to some truly sublime satellite radio stations that won't fade away when you head out of town. If your smartphone's along for the ride, you can use this Kenwood's controls to create, listen, and control your own stations through Pandora® Internet radio. If you like finding your own musical niche, you can pull up your favorite Internet radio app on your phone and stream it wirelessly using Bluetooth.
And video's still alive, too
You can watch your favorite DVDs on the built-in screen whenever you're parked, or send movies to a rear-seat screen when you're on the move. This Kenwood includes a rear A/V input, so you can add a portable video player or video game console as well. The front and rear camera inputs let you connect dash and backup cameras. The Kenwood's screen will show the backup camera feed when your vehicle is in reverse, as well as graphic parking lines — a great feature when backing up a larger vehicle into a tight parking spot.
You can use the robust 13-band equalizer to adjust the tone for your separate audio sources. The digital time alignment enables you to zero in your perfect sound, no matter which seat you're in. The three pairs of RCA preamp outputs will send out a hot 4-volt signal when it's time to add amps to your system.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The DDX573BH offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- Ford SYNC systems: you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions;
- GM vehicles: you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar;
- Chrysler: you'll keep all your Uconnect functionality;
- Toyota: you'll keep your factory amplifer, auxiliary and USB inputs, rear-view camera, and steering wheel audio controls
- Volkswagen: you'll retain the factory Bluetooth, the factory digital amplifier and fader, plus VW's media device interface.
The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Kenwood's screen.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in internal amp (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen with variable color button illumination
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- built-in Android AOA control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming with dual phone connection
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- 13-band equalizer with digital time alignment
- subwoofer level, phase, and low-pass crossover controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear A/V input, front- and rear-view camera inputs
- outputs: rear video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- works with iDataLink Maestro module to retain Ford SYNC, GM OnStar, Chrysler Uconnect, and VW media center
- retains Ford SYNC, GM OnStar, Chrysler Uconnect, and VW media center
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DDX573BH
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ built-in 6.2" monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Kenwood DDX573BH reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DDX573BH
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV|
6.2" Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood DDX573BH features a fixed 6.2" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy.
- Aspect Ratio & Picture Adjustment: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal). You can also adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Home Screen & Backgrounds: You can customize the head unit's Home Screen by rearranging the icons and moving the icons of the six most sources you use most to this screen. You can choose between nine preset background images or download your own still image (800 x 480) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Clock Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Menu button turns the unit off completely.
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). The Kenwood logo and eject button remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the head unit's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange/white "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim the display manually. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain the same brightness.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DDX573BH offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood DVD head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
2-DIN Chassis: The DDX573BH has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood DDX573BH is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 3.0 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.2 (Phone Book Access Profile), GAP (Generic Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DDX573BH. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood receiver without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5+) or Android smartphone (running Kenwood Music Play App) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to ten Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit, with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio device connected at one time, making it easier to switch between devices.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood DDX573BH provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the DDX573BH can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (within 5 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DDX573BH, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Enter Phone #: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 30 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DDX573BH. You can then use the head unit's touchscreen to dial a contact from the downloaded phone book. You can search the phone book alphabetically.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 10 total).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply press the voice control button on the head unit's front-panel and speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
External Microphone: The Kenwood DDX573BH includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ AAC): The Kenwood DDX573BH supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DDX573BH for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DDX573BH offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DDX573BH offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DDX573BH lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4+ phones only).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Kenwood DDX573BH has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DDX573BH and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DDX573BH; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).here for the most current list of compatible Android smartphones. There are two Android AOA 2.0 modes to choose from based on what content you want to listen to and how you want to control it.
- Hand Mode: The Kenwood DDX573BH supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the DDX573BH's rear-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the Kenwood head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Hand Mode" will show up on the touchscreen display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's screen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- Kenwood Music Play: Downloading the Kenwood Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone with AOA 2.0 support not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the Kenwood DVD receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's touchscreen controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the Kenwood Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood DDX573BH supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input. The DDX573BH offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple iPod/iPhone models. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DDX573BH for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. Video playback is not supported.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood DDX573BH. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DDX573BH. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DDX573BH.
Note: The unit's rear-panel AV input must be set to "iPod" in order to playback audio/video from your connected iPod/iPhone, using the KCA-IP202 cable.
iPod/iPhone Control: The Kenwood DDX573BH lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen, your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen/clickwheel, or a downloaded app.
- Head Unit Control Mode: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rented Movie. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. In Head Unit Control mode, the DDX573BH will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Apps Control Mode: The App control Mode allows you to navigate stored music, music apps, stored video, and video apps from your 30-pin Apple device connected via Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately). You'll still have access to basic playback controls (like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track) from the head unit, but advanced navigation functions will be locked. Not all apps will be compatible and control will be limited. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to iPod/App Control mode. Instead, the head unit will display "iPhone App and iPod Control Mode" (song/artist information will need to viewed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen).
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad or Android tablets. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DDX573BH is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/274/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood DDX573BH using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android/Blackberry smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Kenwood DDX573BH provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station or Genre List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station or Genre List by date or alphabetically. You can also choose to randomly playback songs from all your registered stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DDX573BH is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- SmartFavorite Presets: Up to 20 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Presets (P1-P5) of the current band are recognized as SmartFavorites and offer advanced features like Instant Replay, TuneStart, & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay content from the currently tuned SiriusXM channel. The SiriusXM tuner will continually buffer up to 60 minutes of audio from the currently tuned channel. You can also rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of any missed content from a SmartFavorite preset on the currently tuned band.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite preset channel on the current band. TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels on the currently tuned band.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (75dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (75 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DDX573BH to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DDX573BH's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Kenwood DDX573BH supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Mass Storage Devices: The Kenwood DVD receiver features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 38" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; like USB thumbdrives, select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), or other digital audio music players. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The Kenwood receiver also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device.
- Music Drive: When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone (like Android with Froyo/Gingerbread OS) is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Music Drive features lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: You cannot connect a USB hub or USB card reader to the head unit's USB port.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DDX573BH supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC only)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1kHz
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
|Photo||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder); NTFS does not have a folder or file limitation|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files recorded on a disc or stored on a USB MSC device.
Playback Screen: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Auto Reload: The DVD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DDX573BH utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 99dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DDX573BH is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DDX573BH are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DDX573BH features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and offers independent level control (-50 to +10 dB).
DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points. You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Rear Speaker Location: You can indicate the location of your vehicle's Rear speakers. Choose from Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- Speaker Size: You are able to select which size speakers are in your
- Tweeter: Small, Medium, Large, or None
- Front & Rear: 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10" or None
- Subwoofer: 6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15" or greater, None
- High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: Allows you to set high-pass
and low-pass crossovers for a standard Tweeter, Front, Rear, and Subwoofer
- Tweeter: set high pass filter (HPF)
for your tweeters
- Frequency: 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Front & Rear: independently set high pass filter (HPF)
for your front & rear speakers
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: set low pass filter (LPF)
for unit sub out
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Tweeter: set high pass filter (HPF) for your tweeters
Equalizer: The Kenwood DDX573BH offers 8 EQ Presets for east adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, and a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Drive EQ, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB, while the Q-factor can be adjusted to 1.35, 1.5, or 2.0
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequencies ranges that becomes hard to hear due to road noise.
Music Enhancement: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Sound Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 1, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Stage EQ: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Stage EQ can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The DVD receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DDX573BH also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DX573BH features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 7-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
A/V Input: The Kenwood DDX573BH DVD receiver is fitted with a rear-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio/video input to connect external AV sources, such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner. The rear-panel AV input also serves as the input for Kenwood's proprietary KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (sold separately).
Rear & Front Camera Inputs: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up. There is also a composite video input for connecting a front dash-cam (sold separately), so you can display what's ahead of you on the head unit's touchscreen LCD monitor.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Rear-View Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output will display whatever video signal that is being displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Toyota/Scion vehicles, and select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, Toyota/Scion, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
The Kenwood DDX573BH replaces these items
- 6.2" touchscreen with variable color button illumination
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming with dual phone connection
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
7 questions already asked