About the Kenwood DDX714
If you're planning on building a complete A/V system in your vehicle, you need a command center. Kenwood's DDX714 DVD receiver offers a 6.95" touchscreen display and advanced menus that make it easy to control your system right from the cockpit. It'll play MP3, WMA, and AAC files on disc and thumb drive, and you can plug your iPod® or iPhone into its USB input using Kenwood's optional cable.
Talk hands-free with the DDX714's built-in Bluetooth. When a call comes in, just tap the screen to answer your call, and the receiver mutes the sound so you can hear your caller over your speakers. And if you're dialing out, the DDX714 can store up to 1,000 phone numbers and respond to voice commands, letting you keep your eyes on the road.
Watch DVD movies
Enjoy your favorite DVDs on the video screen when you're parked. Connect a backseat video monitor and some wireless headphones, and your passengers in the back can watch movies while you drive. Take advantage of the stereo's dual-zone capability and listen to the radio or another source up front.
You can add navigation, too
Take full advantage of the stereo's video screen by adding Kenwood's optional navigation system. It delivers complete turn-by-turn directions, and the touchscreen controls make it easy to enter your destination or select from five million points of interest. You can update it yearly to keep the system accurate.
And of course, that great Kenwood sound
No matter what you're listening to, Kenwood's premium digital-to-analog converter ensures that your music sounds its best. Use the 3-band equalizer to adjust the treble, midrange, and bass, while the speaker size matching feature optimizes the receiver's output for your vehicle's speaker setup. The System E's+ crossover network works with both speaker and preamp outputs, so you can use the frequency filters to optimize your system whether you're using internal power or an external amp.
Easy system expansion
Connect an iPod, iPhone, or other music player to the USB port, or use the port to charge your digital devices. The stereo also features two audio/video inputs for your non-USB gear. Front, rear, and subwoofer preouts give you the option of adding external amps for a powerful, realistic sound from your music and movie soundtracks. An input for an optional rear-view camera adds safety and convenience, a big plus if you own a large vehicle or tow a boat or trailer.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized 6.95" LCD video screen with touchscreen controls and selectable backgrounds
- fits double-sized (4" tall) dash openings
- direct touchscreen selection of DVD menu items
- built-in Bluetooth
- dual-zone capability
- wireless remote
- plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, JPEG images, and MP3/WMA/AAC discs
- System Q EX Sound Control (3-band equalizer, preset sound curves, and speaker size matching)
- System E's+ Advanced Crossover system
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- compatible with navigation, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
- inputs: USB, A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer), A/V output
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # DDX714
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN DVD receiver with built-in 6.95" monitor
- Trim ring
- Plastic escutcheon
- Wiring harness
- Preamp output harness
- AV input/output harness
- Relay harness
- Microphone with attached 9.75' cable (has a minijack connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 3 Self-adhesive strips
- Instruction manual (English)
- Instruction manual (Spanish)
- Instruction manual (French)
- Installation manual (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- Warranty card
- "Correction" sheet
Kenwood DDX714 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DDX714
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
2-DIN Chassis: The DDX714 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. Unlike many in-dash monitors, there is no hideaway box; all the inputs and outputs are included within the unit's chassis. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Motorized Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood DDX714 features a motorized 6.95" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 480 x 234 with 336,960 total pixels (480H x 234V x RGB). This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. It also has a 7-step adjustable viewing angle, including a reversible-tilt angle. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Selectable Screen Viewing Modes: You can choose from the following screen modes for DVD, Video, iPod, USB and Rear-camera playback.
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Justify: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
Front Panel Controls With Changeable Illumination: In addition to the unit's touch-screen controls, the DDX714 features often used hard-keyed controls along the bottom of the LCD screen's frame for added convenience. You can adjust the headunit's screen and button illumination from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select three custom user colors that are adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue values from 0-31 each.
Custom Backgrounds: You can download still images for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
24-Bit D-A Converter: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and USB media, the DDX714 is equipped with a 24-bit digital-to-analog converter.
3 Sets of Preamp Outputs: The DDX714 features front, rear, and subwoofer 2-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear preamp outputs feature fade control while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
DSP (Digital Signal Processing): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's Digital Signal Processing to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van , Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van Long, or Off
- Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Location: You
can set the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers.
- Front: Choose from Door, On Dash, or Under Dash
- Rear: Choose from Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row
- Speaker Size: You can select the speaker size for your
Front and Rear speakers, as well as your subwoofer.
- Front: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Tweeter: Select either None or Use
- Rear: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Subwoofer: Select from 10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8"
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 20.3 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers. You can set the Center speaker from 0.00 to14.44 feet.
- X'Over: The headunit
features independent Front and Rear high-pass crossovers as well as a
subwoofer low-pass crossover.
- Front High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal or Reverse
- Subwoofer Level: You can adjust the level of the unit's subwoofer preamp output from -10 to +10dB.
Note: You can choose to bypass the headunit's DSP feature.
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings for the front and back speakers using the 5-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- System Q Presets: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod or User.
- 5-Band EQ: 5-Band frequency adjustment (-9 to +9 dB) for Front and Rear speakers using the following center frequencies - 62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4khz, and 16kHz.
Bass Boost: The DDX714 features a three-step Bass Boost (Off, 1, 2) to enhance your music's lower frequencies.
Bass DC Extension: When this feature is turned on it extends the bass center frequency to the low register by approximately 20% adding additional bass response to your system.
Space Enhancer: This feature is used to enhance the soundscape your car audio system.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
Dolby Digital: The DDX714 supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 DVD discs and will convert multi-channel Dolby Digital sources to 2-channel. The DDX714 also features a toslink digital output to connect the unit to an external surround sound processor.
Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store your audio settings for each source (DVD, CD, USB, Aux, and Tuner).
Setup Memory: Audio Setup and AV Interface settings can be memorized and recalled at any time. When the settings are cleared when the unit is disconnected from the battery, they can be restored.
Dual Zone Capability: The unit's dual zone control allows you to independently set the source for the front and rear channels. You can set the front channels to Tuner, Sirius, XM, DVD, Video, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, TV, Navigation or Standby. You can se the rear channels to DVD, Video, iPod, USB, TV, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35.
CR-2 Tuner: The DDX714 uses Kenwood's CR-2 tuner provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner features the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC) for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency. RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations. Up to 30 AM and FM stations can be named. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length. The Preset Select menu will display the six presets in each band either by name or frequency.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DDX714 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, DTS-CD, and VCD discs.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play AAC (16-320 kbps), MP3 (16-320 kbps) and WMA (48-192 kbps) files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD+/-R/W discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders per disc, and 255 files per folder (512 maximum number of files and folders). During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
JPEG/MPEG Playback: In addition to MP3/WMA/AAC discs, this unit can play discs with JPEG (8192 x 7680) still image files or MPEG video files. The unit supports MPEG1 (352 x 240, 362 x 288) and MPEG2 (720 x 480, 720 x 576) NTSC video formats.
CD Read Setting: If there is a problem with the CD player reading a disc with a special format, you can switch to a second CD Read setting which "forces" the player to read the disc. CD Read setting 1 is for normal CDs and MP3/WMA discs, while CD Read setting 2 cannot read MP3/WMA/AAC discs or VCD.
DVD Display Setup: You can setup the monitor to display a 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan aspect ratio when viewing a DVD disc.
Control Screens: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. You can touch the left one-third of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right one-third of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD Disc Menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center briefly displays the information screen. For VCD playback, the top center is the Zoom control area.
Direct Search: By entering its number with the optional remote (KNA-RCDV330, sold separately) you can directly access title, chapter, time, track, channel, or frequency.
Video Display Adjustments: During playback of a video or still image you can reverse the picture horizontally and rotate the picture clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Zoom: The DDX714 features a 2 level zoom (2x or off) when playing back video and still images.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
3.5mm A/V Input: The DDX714 features a 3.5mm stereo audio input and 3.5mm video input on the rear chassis of the unit for portable MP3/Video players. These terminals are also compatible with your dock connector iPod using the optional KCA-iP301V, sold separately.
AV Input: The DDX714 is equipped with an audio/video input consisting of a composite video jack and a pair of stereo RCA jacks. This composite/stereo terminal can be used to connect an external audio/video source. The audio/video input can be named "VIDEO", "DVD", "VCD", "VCR", "GAME", TV or "AUX".
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CCD-2000 (113CCD2000, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. You can also display the video of the rear view camera in a mirror image, if desired. The purple/white wire in the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching.
A/V Output: The unit features a set of stereo RCA jacks and a composite video jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor. You can choose AV-In, DVD, iPod, USB or Off as the source for the A/V output.
Built-In Bluetooth: The Kenwood DDX714 features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 2.0) with a range of 32.8 ft and supports the following profiles: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Headset Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile), SPP (Serial Port Profile), and SYNC (Synchronization Profile). The unit's touchscreen controls can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call or end a call. The DDX714 can even be setup to automatically answer a call. The unit comes with an external microphone with adjustable gain so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the other party through your car's front speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Your cell phone must be paired with the DDX714 before you make and receive calls. You can register up to five cell phones (only one paired phone can be used at a time). You can also wirelessly download the short message (SMS) arrived at your cell-phone so that is can be read on the headunit's display. Using the DDX714, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits.
- Speed Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DDX714. Up to 1000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search for a number by the initials, or you can search the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Outgoing Call List: Allows you to dial by using the outgoing call list. Up to 10 phone numbers are stored in the outgoing call list.
- Incoming Call List: Allows you to dial by using the incoming call list. Up to 10 phone numbers are stored in the incoming call list.
- Missed Call List: Allows you to dial by using the missed call list. Up to 10 phone numbers are stored in the missed call list.
- Voice Dialing: If your phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. You can register up to 35 voice tags.
Note: Visit Kenwood.com for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
USB Port: The Kenwood DDX714 features a rear panel 2.0 USB type-A port that is attached to the chassis with a 36" cord to allow for various placement options during installation. The USB port enables playback of MP3 (16-230 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), and AAC (16-320 kbps) files; as well as JPEG (8192 x 7680 pixels) and Video (MPEG1/MPEG2) files from connected portable USB mass-storage players, USB thumb drives and portable digital audio players. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. The headunit can recognize up to 126 folders (255 files per folders) and 15,000 total files. The unit will display any recorded ID3 Tag information stored on your connected USB device. You USB device's rechargeable battery will be recharged while it is connected to the USB port of the DDX714 and the unit is turned on.
iPod High Speed Connection: The USB port and the rear panel 3.5mm A/V AUX inputs are compatible with select iPod devices when used with the optional KCA-iP301V adapter (113IP301V, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod data communications of 12MB/bps via the optional KCA-iP301V (3-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses three connectors that plug into the back of the DDX714. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port and handles the control and charging of your iPod, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display. The two 3.5mm miniplug connectors of the cable plug into the unit's A/V 3.5mm inputs and transfer the music and video from your iPod to your Kenwood DVD/CD player. By using the Auxiliary input the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod. The controls of the DDX714 are seamless when used with the optional KCA-iP301V and include metadata browsing and playback of DRM contents, as well as the ability to choose any iPod playback mode to suit your listening application. The Kenwood DDX714 and the KCA-iP301V iPod adapter cable is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Nov. 2009):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: Apple firmware updates may change functionality results.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio tuner to this receiver:
- XM: This unit supports the Audivox CNP-2000 MiniTuner via the optional Kenwood KCA-XM100V interface box which includes a vehicle dock and antenna (package # 700XMKENV1, sold separately). XM Satellite Radio programming offers 170 digital radio channels including 69 channels of commercial free music, plus news, sports, talk, comedy, and other entertainment programming from coast to coast. XM also offers instant traffic and weather alerts for 21 major US cities, as well as live sports broadcasts from Major League Baseball, NHL, the PGA tour, Indy car racing and several major college conferences.
- Sirius: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1) and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (113CASR20V); package item number 700SIRKENV; or you can connect the optional CA-SR20V Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (607SCVDOC1); package item number 700SIRKENP, along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver. SIRIUS Satellite Radio features more than 120 streams of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 streams of commercial-free, digital-quality music, and news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via its auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: The DDX714 is HD Radio ready. With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (113KTCHR20 or 113HR300, sold separately), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
Navigation Input: You can connect the Kenwood KNAG510 navigation system (113KNAG510, sold separately) to this unit via the maroon colored 13-pin jack on the back of the chassis. The KNA-G510 comes with routing software and mapping information by Garmin, customized for select Kenwood head units. The maps cover the US (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada, they are pre-loaded and include more than 5 million points of interest. There is also an SD memory card slot used for future updates. You can select which speakers are used for navigation voice guidance: front left, front right, or both front speakers, as well as adjust the volume independently from 0-35. You can also set the volume for the voice guidance audio. Third party navigation systems with composite video a can also be connected via the AV-IN input.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The DDX714 has a steering remote control lead attached to the harness. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (127SWIJACK, sold separately), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Kenwood DDX714 replaces these items