About the Kenwood DDX9702S
Phone in your media
Phone in your media
We're excited to see more receivers with robust integration for both the iPhone® and the Android™. With built-in Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ functionality, Kenwood's DDX9702S DVD receiver offers many ways to get your smartphone involved in the act. You can access your apps using the big 7" touchscreen display, and you can use the rear HDMI/MHL input to mirror your Android's display. And when your phone's not in play, you can tune into HD Radio™ or add SiriusXM satellite radio. Kenwood rounds out this receiver with built-in Bluetooth®, rear USB and auxiliary inputs, as well as immersive sound-shaping controls to get the most out of your music.
Apps on the go
Here are some of the interactive features this Kenwood offers with your Apple® or Android™ phone. Don't forget to check the "Details" tab for specific info on compatibility and connections with different smartphone versions.
- Apple CarPlay™: CarPlay integrates your iPhone® into the driving experience in a new, seamless interface, putting iPhone content at the driver's fingertips with minimal distraction. That means easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
- Android Auto™: If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
- Phone swapping: If your family includes both iPhone and Android users, you simply plug in the phone you want to use with this Kenwood without having to choose a particular input or adjust menu settings for control.
- Siri Eyes Free: With your compatible iPhone, you can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the receiver's touchscreen, using your voice to place calls, select music, hear notification, add reminders — even compose and listen to text messages.
- Android mirroring: By connecting your Android to the rear HDMI/MHL input on the Kenwood, you can display your Android's screen on the receiver's large 7" display for better viewing.
Big time display
You can make the DDX9702S fit your needs by moving icons around to create customizable shortcuts to your favorite sources and apps. A wealth of color choices and backgrounds let you tailor the look to match your vehicle. This Kenwood plays video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked. When you're on the road, you can entertain your passengers by sending a movie from the receiver to a rear-seat screen. And of course you can plug in a rear-view camera to play it safe in crowded parking lots.
Your music, your way
The DDX9702S features a built-in HD Radio™ tuner which allows you to hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over. And if you want to listen to stations that won't fade away on the longest trips, this Kenwood also features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription.
And when you're not in the mood for radio, you can use the rear auxiliary input to plug in a portable audio player, or plug a thumb drive into the rear USB port for gobs of digital music, including FLAC files. Built-in Bluetooth not only provides hands-free calling, but it also lets you stream your music from your phone to the Kenwood wirelessly.
The audio goods
The powerful built-in amplifier sends a crisp, clear signal to your speakers, while the 5-band equalizer boasts Kenwood's Drive EQ feature — when the radio is playing at lower volumes it boosts frequencies in the music that are often masked by road noise. The built-in DSP (digital sound processing) with digital time alignment lets you zero in on your perfect sound, while the three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs deliver an ultra-clean signal for adding additional amps for more power.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
If your vehicle comes with factory add-ons like Ford SYNC®, GM OnStar®, Chrysler Uconnect™, or VW's media interface, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the DDX9702S offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- Ford SYNC systems: you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions;
- GM vehicles: you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar;
- Chrysler: you'll keep all your Uconnect functionality;
- Volkswagen: you'll retain the factory Bluetooth, the factory digital amplifier and fader, plus VW's media device interface.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- variable color illumination with over 30,000 choices of colors
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Android Auto compatible
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora and iHeartRadio control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free control for select iPhones
- screen mirroring with select Android phones
- Voice Command for select Android smartphones
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- 5-band parametric EQ
- DSP with digital time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear HDMI/MHL digital A/V input, rear analog A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- works with iDataLink Maestro module to retain Ford SYNC, GM OnStar, Chrysler Uconnect, and VW media center
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DDX9702S
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ integrated 6.95" monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- HDMI bracket
- Self-adhesive magnetic pad
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Machine screw
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
- "Caution for Smartphone Users" note
- "Correction" notice
Kenwood DDX9702S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DDX9702S
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear) x 2|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear) x 2|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
iPhone Integration w/ CarPlay
Android Integration w/ Android Auto
Disc & USB Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
6.95" Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood DDX9702S features a motorized 6.95" widescreen (16:9) touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- Aspect Ratio & Picture Adjustment: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal). You can also adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Top Menu & Background Images: You can customize the Top Menu by rearranging the icons and moving the icons you use most to the front page. You can even download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Clock Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Menu button turns the unit off completely.
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as Apps Mode, CarPlay, and Android Auto.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DDX9702S offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood DVD head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood DDX9702S against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
2-DIN Chassis: The DDX9702S has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood DDX9702S is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DDX9702S. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DDX9702S without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood DDX9702S provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The The touchscreen controls of the DDX9702S can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (0-99 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DDX9702S, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 30 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DDX9702S. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ AAC): The Kenwood DDX9702S supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC lossless music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DDX9702S for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DDX9702S offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DDX9702S offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Basic Playback Control: You can use the front-panel controls of the DDX9702S to operate basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music & music apps; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat (not compatible with all apps). Advanced music control of your stored music and music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood DDX9702S has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DDX9702S and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DDX9702S; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is integrated into this Kenwood DVD receiver. Apple CarPlay is compatible with Apple iPhone with Lightning-connector (iOS 7.1+). Your iPhone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver via the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately). CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. It also works with the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Kenwood receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying podcasts, music, and radio. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn, and Podcasts (more supported Apps coming soon).
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood DDX9702S supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input or HDMI input. The DDX9702S offers audio/video playback of connected Apple iPod/iPhone models (video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park).
- Lightning Connector: IIf you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DDX9702S for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the Kenwood DDX9702S, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood DDX9702S. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps (like Netflix) on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DDX9702S. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DDX9702S.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod/iPhone Control: In addition to audio/video playback, the Kenwood DDX9702S supports control, song/artist information display, and battery charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DDX9702S will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Pandora and iHeart Radio will also display metadata information. Other music apps will only display song/artist information in Apps mode.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone (via HDMI): Apps mode allows the Kenwood head unit to mirror the display of your HDMI-connected & Bluetooth-paired iPhone (iOS 7+) device. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your iPhone iOS device through the Kenwood receiver. Mirroring of your mobile device does not require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged, but control over your device may require that the parking brake is set (this will depend on the selected app). Mirroring of your device will not always appear in full-screen on the Kenwood unit's touchscreen display.
- iPhone Connectivity: Connection method is based on your type of iPhone. If you have a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have an older 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-pin digital AV adapter and Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need a a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Operation & Controls: Your iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control when connected via HDMI. Apps Mode also provides basic playback control (Pay/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track) of select music and video apps from the head unit's touchscreen. These operations can all be done with or without your vehicle's parking brake engaged. All other control will need to be done from your iPhone's touchscreen.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DDX9702S is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/3/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Apps Mode||Aupeo||Pandora||iHeart||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Android Auto: The Kenwood DVD receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's USB port via the microUSB-to-USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Learn more at support.google.com/androidauto and to see what phones are compatible. Features of Android Auto include:
- Google Speech Technology: The Kenwood DVD receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google's Speech Technology using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the on-screen "mic" icon to activate Google Speech.
- Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology.
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Kenwood receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Kenwood receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
Note: The Samsung Galaxy S5 from Sprint and Verizon are currently not supported by Android Auto. Google and Samsung are working together to correct this compatibility issue.
Apps Mode for Android (via HDMI/MHL): Apps mode allows the Kenwood head unit to mirror the display of your HDMI-connected & Bluetooth-paired Android (OS 4.1+) device. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your Android smartphone through the Kenwood receiver. Mirroring of your mobile device does not require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged, but control over your device may require that the parking brake is set (this will depend on the selected app). Mirroring of your device will not always appear in full-screen on the Kenwood unit's touchscreen display.
- Smartphone Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect select MHL-compatible Android smartphones to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as Kenwood's KCA-MH100 cable (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing and installation of the Kenwood Smartphone Control App from Google Play onto your smartphone. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is also needed for touchscreen control. Compatible Android smartphones include Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, Samsung Note II/III/IV, Sony Xperia Z-series, LG Optimus, and HTC One Max (all with OS 4.1+). The listed Samsung phones will also require an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Check here for a list of all compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
- Operation & Controls: You can control your Android device from the head unit's touchscreen similar to how you would from the smartphone, as long as your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. Specific apps on your Android phone like Waze Navigation, TuneIn Radio, & Kenwood Music Control can be controlled from the Kenwood receiver without the parking brake engaged. These specific apps will show up on the head unit's touchscreen as large icons for easy selection.
Note: Access to your Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
Optional Miracast Dongle (for Android): Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Kenwood DDX9702S's touchscreen LCD (requires Kenwood's KCA-WL100 Miracast dongle; sold separately). This allows the Kenwood DDX9702S to wirelessly mirror your compatible Android smartphone just like the HDMI hardwire connection. The KCA-WL100 Mircast module plugs directly into the head unit's HDMI input.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DDX9702S to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DDX9702S's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info, Album Art, & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Internet Radio Apps: The Kenwood DDX9702S allows you to access Pandora, iHeartRadio, and Aupeo! online music services through your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected iPhone (7.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Blueooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the DDX9702S via the Kenwood KCA-iP102/103 cable (sold separately), the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the Kenwood DDX9702S. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood DDX9702S using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood DDX9702S provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Auto: The free iHeartRadio Auto app for Kenwood (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood DDX9702S using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (4.0+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The DDX9702S will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
- Aupeo! Internet Radio: You can listen to music from the Aupeo! online radio service through the Kenwood DDX9702S by downloading the Aupeo! app (form Apple's App Store or Google Play) onto your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (4.0+). From the Kenwood receiver, you can search for stations by Category, "Love" or "Ban" songs, Play/Pause music, or Skip to the next song. Song/artist information and Album Art will be displayed on the head unit's touchscreen LCD.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DDX9702S is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search + Direct Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category. You can also tune directly to a station or channel by entering the desired frequency or channel number.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- Content, Traffic, Weather, & Sports: When a broadcast program related to the registered artist, song, team, or city starts, a message appears to allow you to switch the current channel to the relevant channels. You can also tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. In addition, you can be alerted when your
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood receiver's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The Kenwood DDX9702S supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
- Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
USB Port: The Kenwood DDX9702S features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 39" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DDX9702S also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, and WMV video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support newer MTP and AOA enabled Android smartphones including HoneyComb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, and newer.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DDX9702S supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||Flash (USB MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 16-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 16-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
|Video||MPEG-1/2: 320×240 - 720×480, or 320×288 - 720×576||MPEG-1/2/4:
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 |
H.264/WMV: 1280x720 @ 30fps
|Photo||N/A||JPEG/PNG/BMP: 32x32 - 2000x2000|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||254 folders/64,770 files (255 files per folder)||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, and AAC-tags|
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
Highlight Control (DVD Playback): During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
USB Search Functions: The Kenwood DDX9702S offers unique search functions for USB playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Picture Search: The unit will display up to eight thumbnails of still-images to choose from. The selected thumbnail will become a full screen image.
- Album Artwork: You can search music files by selecting the Album Artwork. You can even create an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums by selecting album artwork.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DDX9702S utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 94dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DDX9702S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DDX9702S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The DDX9702S features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the Delay Time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Location: You can set the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers. The Front speakers can be set to Door, On Dash, or Under Dash. The Rear speakers can be set to Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- Speaker Size: You can select the speaker size for your Front and Rear speakers, as well as your subwoofer. The Front and Rear speakers can be set to OEM, 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10". The Subwoofer can be set to 6.5", 8", 10", 12", or 15"+. Select None if you have no Rear speaker or sub.
- X'Over: The head unit features independent Front & Rear high-pass crossovers, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover. The Front & Rear high-pass crossovers and Subwoofer low-pass crossover can be set to 50, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range).
- Sub Control: You can adjust the subwoofer output's Phase (0° or 180°) and Level (-50to +10dB).
Note: You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
Equalizer: The Kenwood DDX9702S offers 10 preset EQ for easy adjustment, a 5-band EQ for greater customization, and a Drive EQ to overcome road noise.
- Preset EQ: The DDX9702S offers 10 preset EQs for easy adjustment. You can select from Flat, Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Powerful, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types within your iPod), or User (customized 5-band EQ).
- 5-Band EQ: A 5-band graphic EQ provides fine-tuning adjustment. The User mode's 5-band equalizer consists of 62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, & 16kHz frequencies which can be adjusted from -9 to +9dB.
- Drive EQ: Drive EQ+ boosts specific frequencies in the audio signal to compensate the negative impact of road noise. The bass is enhanced according to the vehicle speed to compensate for the loss due to noise from the road.
Note: Separate EQ settings and EQ presets are stored for each source (Disc, Tuner, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Volume Level & Bass Management: The DVD receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DDX9702S also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DDX9702S features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 5-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Key Beep: The in-dash DVD head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Kenwood DDX9702S DVD receiver is fitted with two rear-panel audio/video inputs. Both AV inputs consist of a 3.5mm jack for connection of an external AV source; such as TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The optional Kenwood AV cable (113CAC3AV, sold separately) provides composite video/stereo RCA audio inputs. The AV-2 input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Kenwood cable).
HDMI/MHL Input: The In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, AV-1, AV-2, or Off. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood head unit features a built-in GPS receiver and comes with a GPS antenna to enhance the performance of the unit's navigation apps from CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as Apps Mode.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, and select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier. The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). In some installations, the iDatalink Maestero RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestor RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
The Kenwood DDX9702S replaces these items
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming — supports aptX audio streaming
- Siri voice control with select iPhones
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
35 questions already asked