About the Kenwood DMX9708S
Ready for your smartphone
Ready for your smartphone
If you're ready to add seamless smartphone integration to your ride, the Kenwood DMX9708S multimedia receiver makes it easy, with a big 6.95" capacitive touchscreen display to provide a premium command center for a top-notch system. Pair that with built-in wired and wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, you'll have all your most-used phone features front and center.
Put your phone to work in your ride
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto put your phone's content at your fingertips (or at the tip of your tongue). This stereo's controls behave like your phone's interface, so there's no learning curve. Plug in or wirelessly link your Android™ or iPhone®, and you'll get voice control access to your navigation, phone calls, weather, text messages, and of course all your music. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay and www.android.com/auto.
Android owners, you can mirror your phone's screen wirelessly using Miracast and the receiver's built-in Wi-Fi. This receiver's micro-HDMI input also lets you mirror the screen from select phones by using a compatible HDMI adapter for your phone (sold separately) and Kenwood's KCA-HD200 micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable.
More paths to music
When your phone's not plugged in, this receiver's rear USB input opens up even more source options, and there's great news for audiophiles — this receiver supports high-res file playback of music stored on a USB drive. You can also plug a portable music player into the rear A/V input, so you can effectively bring your music library with you on the road. And if you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away, add a SiriusXM tuner (sold separately) to this Kenwood to enjoy satellite radio's extensive programming wherever you may roam.
More wireless convenience with Bluetooth®
The DMX9708S lets you pair two Bluetooth-equipped phones and quickly switch between them for hands-free calling — an excellent road trip convenience. And when you're streaming music, Kenwood's Music Mix lets you pair five phones so everybody can pick their tunes for an on-the-fly listening session.
With connections for up to five cameras, multiple amplifiers, and a SiriusXM tuner, this Kenwood is ready for serious system expansion.
Add a backup cam and up to four more
Vehicle cameras are a must for safer driving, and Kenwood gives you three video inputs for front, side, and backup cameras. Kenwood also provides a proprietary input for the DRV-N520 dash cam. And if you need one more, you can configure this receiver's rear 3.5 mm A/V input as a fourth camera input. You can save the display's tilt adjustment to the best viewing in your vehicle's dash location. This Kenwood plays video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked. When you're on the road, you can entertain your passengers by sending a movie from the receiver to a rear-seat screen.
Deep tuning capabilities
If you're someone who loves to tweak and add to your system, you'll appreciate how the DMX9708S includes three pairs of 4-volt RCA preamp outputs for an ultra-clean signal when you add amplifiers to your system. You'll also dig Kenwood's suite of sound-crafting tools, including a 13-band equalizer, deep crossover settings, and built-in digital time alignment. If you're listening to compressed MP3 or WMA music files, this receiver's processing settings bring back the depth and detail of all your digital music sources. This receiver also offers Stage EQ, which adjusts your music's frequencies to virtually "raise" speakers in lower door positions for better-sounding, more natural imaging.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
Combined with an iDatalink Maestro RR or RR2 interface (sold separately), the DMX9708S includes intuitive vehicle integration that lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital multimedia player with AM/FM tuner
- plays media loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (plus high-res WAV and FLAC)
- 6.95" capacitive touchscreen HD display
- display's viewing angle can be tilted from the bottom in one of six positions for better visibility and saved to memory
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- wired and wireless Android Auto compatible
- compatible with Google Assistant voice control when using Android Auto
- wired and wireless Apple CarPlay compatible
- Siri voice control for select iPhones
- wired mirroring for iPhone and select Android devices via HDMI (adapters sold separately)
- wireless mirroring for select Android devices
- built-in Bluetooth with dual phone connection for hands-free calling and music streaming
- rapid Android charging via USB port
- 13-band graphic EQ
- time alignment
- Drive EQ and digital signal processing
- high- and low-pass crossovers with level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB-C input (USB-C to USB-A adapter included), three camera inputs, rear analog A/V input (can be converted to 4th cam input), control input for the Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam
- outputs: rear video output (RCA), 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- works with iDatalink Maestro RR or RR2 modules
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DMX9708S
What's in the box:
Kenwood DMX9708S owner's manual
- Digital multimedia receiver w/ integrated 6.75" monitor (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Mounting sleeve (pre-installed)
- USB-C to USB-A adapter
- 40" USB-C extension cable
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietaery connector)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive pad
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws (M5x8mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5x8mm)
- USB/HDMI connector bracket (pre-installed)
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Kenwood DMX9708S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Kenwood DMX9708S
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Composite + Mini (rear), HDMI (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (USB-C)|
|USB Port Power||3A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|iPhone||6S and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Screen Type||Swipeable (Capacitive)|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||WAV/FLAC (24-bit/192kHz)|
Wireless CarPlay, Android Auto, & Mirroring
USB & HDMI Integration
Audio & DSP Section
Touchscreen & Remote Control
Wireless CarPlay, Android Auto, & Mirroring
Built-In WiFi: The Kenwood DMX9708S features built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver. By supporting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus Android Mirroring via a wireless connection, you no longer need to worry about taking your smartphone out of your bag or your pocket before you get into your car.
- GPS Antenna: Before using CarPlay or Android Auto, make sure the included GPS antenna is properly connected. The GPS antenna is required for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay navigation maps (including Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze). The GPS antenna comes with a self-stick pad which mounts it on top of your dash inside the vehicle.
- Data Plan Required: Access to CarPlay, Android Auto, and Miracast mirroring apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
Wireless Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone with Lightning Connector, and is specially designed for driving scenarios. Your iPhone can be connected to the Kenwood DMX9708S wirelessly or via USB. A wireless connection to your compatible iPhone 6S or newer (iOS 12.0+) can be made using the Kenwood receiver's built-in WiFi (5GHz) and Bluetooth (2.4GHz) - requires both wireless connections. Or, you can choose to connect your compatible iPhone 6S or newer (iOS 12.0+) to the Kenwood receiver via USB. Your iPhone will need to be connected to the Kenwood receiver's rear-panel USB-C port via the included USB-C extension cable, USB-C to USB-A adapter, and the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or an Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately). You can control CarPlay from the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen controls or use Siri to control to control CarPlay with just your voice. You'll be able to use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mails, send/receive text messages, select music, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Navigation Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via the Google Maps or Waze application instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Kenwood receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your favorite artists, songs, and playlists from Apple Music on your iPhone using the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Music & Radio: Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, & more.
- News, Sports & Podcasts: Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, NBA, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, & more.
- Audio Books: Audiobooks.com & Audible
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Compatible iPhone models include 6S or newer (running iOS 12.0+).Use a Lightning-to-USB cable that is 6' or less for a wired connection, and avoid using USB extension cables. Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay works best with a vehicle speed pulse connection. You will need either a radio replacement interface with a vehicle speed pulse connection or you can hardwire the Kenwood receiver's speed pulse wire to your vehicle's speed pulse wire (this method is much more time consuming and requires more installation experience). Wireless Apple CarPlay can also be used without connecting the vehicle speed pulse. However, location and position accuracy for navigation maps will suffer without the vehicle speed pulse connection.
Android Auto Wireless: The Kenwood DMX9708S supports the Android Auto app for select Android smartphones using a wired or wireless connection. A Google or Samsung smartphone with Android OS 10.0+ or any smartphone with Android OS 11.0+ and 5GHz WiFi can utilize Android Auto Wireless with the Kenwood receiver using the latest version of the Android Auto app, plus a WiFi and Bluetooth connection (both wireless connections must be made). Android smartphones running Marshmallow 6.0 or higher can also be connected to the Kenwood receiver's USB-C port using the included USB-C extension cable, USB-C to USB-A adapter, and USB cable that came with your smartphone; plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead.
- Google Assistant: The Kenwood receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smartphone enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Kenwood receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music:Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Kenwood receiver via YouTube Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- A wired USB connection must be made initially between the Android phone and the Kenwood receiver to setup Wireless Android Auto..
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is 3' or less for a wired connection, and avoid using USB extension cables.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Miracast for Android (Wireless Mirroring): Wi-Fi Certified Miracast lets you wirelessly send the display of your compatible Android OS 4.2-up device that also supports Miracast to the receiver's touchscreen monitor. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Android device on the receiver's touchscreen (vehicle's parking brake must be engaged). You'll also be able to use the receiver's touchscreen to control your compatible Android smartphone.
- Not all Android OS 4.2-up devices will support Miracast. Future Android OS updates may cause the Miracast feature to not function properly. Click here to check for Miracast compatible Android smartphones and tablets.
- The wireless Miracast mirroring feature may also be referred to as Wireless Display, Screen Mirroring, AllShare Cast by your compatible Android smartphone.
- Miracast (wireless mirroring) will require that the vehicle's parking brake be engaged to mirror your smartphone or view any content from your smartphone on the receiver's touchscreen monitor. Only audio content will be heard without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
Note: The Apple iPhone and other Apple iOS devices do not support Miracast or wireless mirroring.
USB-C Note: The Kenwood DMX9708S is outfitted with a USB-C input (not the standard USB-A input found on many other in-dash receivers). A pre-installed connector bracket must be removed in order to access the USB-C input. Once the included USB-C extension cable is connected to the USB-C input, the connector bracket should be re-installed. The included USB-C to USB-A adapter plugs into the end of the USB-C extension cable. The USB-C to USB-A adapter will not fit directly into the recessed USB-C connector opening.
Smartphone Charging: The Kenwood DMX9708S will also charge (5V/3.0A) your Android smartphone or Apple iPod/iPhone device while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
USB & HDMI Integration
USB MSC Playback: The DMX9708S's rear-panel USB-C port, supplied 40" USB extension cable, and included USB-C to USB-A adapter allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device - such as a USB thumbdrive. The USB-C port enables playback of a variety of audio (including Hi-Res FLAC/WAV), video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital multimedia receiver's USB ports (5V/3A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- High Resolution Audio Playback: The Kenwood digital multimedia receiver supports playback of high-resolution FLAC & WAV music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) via USB. High-Resolution Audio is high-quality sound that exceeds CD standard. High-resolution audio captures and beautifully expresses all the details of your favorite music.
- Search Functions: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a USB device. Category Search lets you navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The Kenwood DMX9708S will display song/artist information (as well as album art) for MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music tracks.
- A pre-installed connector bracket must be removed in order to access the USB-C input. Once the included USB-C extension cable is connected to the USB-C input, the connector bracket should be re-installed. The included USB-C to USB-A adapter plugs into the end of the USB-C extension cable. The USB-C to USB-A adapter will not fit directly into the recessed USB-C connector opening.
- The USB-C port does not support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), AOA (Android Open Accessory), USB hubs, or card-readers.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DMX9708S supports the following types of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB (MSC)|
|File System||FAT 16/32, exFAT, NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3/WMA/AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz
|Video||MPEG-1: max resolution of 352 x 240 or 352 x 288;
max bit-rate of 1.5Mbps |
MPEG-2: max resolution of 720 x 480 or 720 x 576; max bit-rate of 8Mbps
MPEG-4/H.264: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
WMV/MKV: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
|Photo||JPEG: 5000 x 5000 |
PNG/BMP: 1000 x 1000
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||9,999 folders/999 files per folder|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-, AAC-, and FLAC-tags|
USB Direct for iPod: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay, you can also connect the Apple iPhone (6S and newer) or iPod touch (7th gen) to the DMX9708S for music playback & control only using the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device or other Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the Kenwood receiver's rear-panel USB-C port with the included USB-C extension cable and supplied USB-C to USB-A adapter. The Kenwood receiver supports playback of stored music and music apps, along music browsing and playback control, plus song/artist information and album art.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your compatible iPod/iPhone or USB memory device by Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, an artist list of the currently playing genre, or an album list of currently playing composer.
- Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The Kenwood DMX9708S will display song/artist information, as well as album art for your music files on your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or USB MSC device.
- Compatible Apple iPhones include iPhone 6S and newer. Compatible Apple iPod touch devices include iPod touch 7th gen only.
- Not compatible with iPhone 6 or earlier iPhone models. Not compatible with iPod touch 6th gen or earlier models. Not compatible with any iPod nano models.
- Older 30-pin Apple devices are not compatible with the Kenwood DMX9708S.
microHDMI Input: The DMX9708S's microHDMI input allows you to display your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone's screen on the receiver's 6.75" monitor. You'll need a compatible Apple or Android HDMI adapter cable (sold separately). You can also connect a DVD player, Blu-ray player or TV tuner with an automotive-grade HDMI cable (sold separately). The HDMI input supports VGA (640x480p @ 60Hz) and 480p (720x480p @ 60Hz) video; as well as 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.2, and 192 kHz; 16/20/24-bit Linear 2ch PCM audio.
- This is a microHDMI input and not a standard full-size HDMI input.
- The HDMI input does not support 1080p or 4K video.
- The HDMI input does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel surround formats.
- The HDMI input does not offer playback control.
Note: A pre-installed connector bracket must be removed in order to access the microHDMI input. Once your microHDMI cable is connected to the unit's microHDMI input, the connector bracket should be re-installed.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's Support Site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then connected to the head unit's USB-C port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Bluetooth 5.0: The Kenwood DMX9708S is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 5.0 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.7 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DMX9708S.
SSP & Auto Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood head unit without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) or by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. You can pair up to ten Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
- Dual Phone Connection: Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Music Mix: The new Music Mix feature allows five Bluetooth audio source devices to be connected to the Kenwood receiver at one time, so you can switch between Bluetooth playback sources a lot easier and quicker. While "BT Audio" source is selected on the head unit, you can simply press the music playback button on your connected Bluetooth source devices to switch between devices and begin music playback. However, you cannot stream audio from two different Bluetooth audio source devices at the same time or combine music libraries or playlists from two different connected devices.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.7) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood DMX9708S provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the DMX9708S can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone, so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (1-30 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DMX9708S, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number from the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can download phonebook data (up to 1000 entries) from your phone to the DMX9708S. You can then dial by using the downloaded phone book and search it alphabetically.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 entries total).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition (including Siri or Google Voice), then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood DMX9708S supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DMX9708S for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DMX9708S offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DMX907S offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DMX9708S lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist/Album Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title with Album Art.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
External Microphone: The Kenwood DMX9708S includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level, echo cancellation, and noise reduction of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood DMX9708S features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. Not only does the multimedia receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets (18FM/6AM) you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. Mono mode reduces the noise (static) when a stereo broadcast is received as monaural (for FM band only).
- RDS (Radio Data System): RDS (Radio Data System) is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency.
- Emergency Alerts: RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm).
- Traffic Information: There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast on FM only, even when you're not listening to the radio.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DMX9708S is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Smart Favorite Presets: Up to 20 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets on the current band are recognized as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix.
- TuneStart: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan plays the first 6 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- TuneMix: TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your Smart Favorite preset music channels from the current SiriusXM preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from as few as two to as many as six music channels.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- Alerts: Receive alerts of your favorite song or artist, favorite sports teams, plus traffic and weather.
- Content Alerts: When a broadcast program related to the your favorite artist or song starts, a message appears to allow you to switch to that station.
- Sports Flash: Sports Flash will notify you when a big play happens during a game with one your favorite sports teams. You can choose to tune to that station or continue to listening to the previous channel.
- Traffic & Weather Now: Traffic & Weather Now allows you to access the latest report whenever you want to hear it by city.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Apple Music Radio (iPhone Only): You can playback Apple Music Radio on your Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (5 or newer) through the Kenwood DMX9708S. With a WiFi or cellular connection on your iPhone, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations through the Kenwood head unit. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. The touchscreen will also display song/artist/album information, along with Album art.
Note: Access to Apple Music Radio will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Audio & DSP Section
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Kenwood DMX9708S utilizes a 24-bit/192kHz digital to analog converter (DAC) for superior sound quality with a signal to noise ratio up to 98.5dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DMX9708S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DMX9708S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DMX9708S features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and offers independent level control (-50 to +10 dB).
Vehicle Setup: Indicate your vehicle type, speakers sizes installed in your vehicle, your rear speaker location, plus your main listening position and the distance of each speaker to the your main listening position to optimize the sound inside your vehicle.
- Vehicle Type: You can select your vehicle type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off.
- Speaker Size: Select which size speakers are in your vehicle - Tweeter (Small, Medium, Large, None); Front & Rear (3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10", None); Subwoofer: 6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15"+, None).
- Speaker Locations: You can indicate the location of your front and rear speakers - Front (Upper Door, Lower Door, On Dash, Under Dash) and Rear (Upper Door, Lower Door, Parcel Shelf/Rear Deck, Upper Cargo Area, Lower Cargo Area.
- Listening Position: You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can even use the Front Focus feature to focus the sound image on the front of the selected seat.
- Digital Time Alignment: You can select to manually fine tune your vehicle's sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. In addition, you're able to adjust the output level (-8 to 0dB) of each speaker.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The receiver offers independent high pass filters for front speakers and rear speakers, as well as a low pass crossover for the unit's sub out.
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter (HPF) for your front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for unit sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
Equalizer: The Kenwood DMX9708S offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, and a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Pops, Easy, Top40, Jazz, Powerful, Rock, or User 1-4) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User modes (1-4) allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB.
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequency ranges that become hard to hear due to road noise.
Music Enhancements: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Stage EQ: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Stage EQ can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The digital multimedia receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DMX9708S also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DMX9708S features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 62.5 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 13-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer at lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
AV Input: The Kenwood DMX9708S digital multimedia receiver is outfitted with a rear-panel AV input that consists of a composite video jack and a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) for connect of an external AV source; such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner. The composite video jack of the AV input can be configured to act as a fourth camera input for adding a side-view camera.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output can display the AV-input or USB video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Miracast, and microHDMI are not supported by the receiver's video output..
4 Camera Inputs: To enable a smarter driving experience, the Kenwood receiver features 4 camera inputs that allow for the utmost in convenience, flexibility, and safety. With 4 camera inputs, you can connect a backup camera, a front camera (including Kenwood's DRV-N520 Dash-Cam), and side (blind spot) cameras. Alternatively, the 4 camera inputs can support several other configurations, Camera switching is available using the receiver's touchscreen controls, or automatically for side cameras when an optional iDatalink Maestro RR is connected (supported vehicles only).
- Rear Camera Input with Guidelines: The receiver is equipped with a rear camera input that consists of a composite video jack and reverse trigger wire for connection of a backup camera (such as Kenwood's CMOS-230, sold separately). The video from the rear camera input can be set to display automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear (the purple/white wire of the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds. While in reverse, parking guidelines will also appear on-screen making backing up and parking safer and easier.
- Front Camera Input + Dash-Cam Control: There is also a composite video input for connecting a front camera (sold separately), so you can display what's ahead of you on the head unit's touchscreen LCD monitor. In addition to the front camera input, the head unit is equipped with a proprietary "Dash Cam" control input for connecting Kenwood's DRV-N520 dash-cam (sold separately). The DRV-N520 offers high resolution 1080p recording, plus motion detection technology. The dashboard camera's live and recorded video are displayed on the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. You'll also control the DRV-N520's settings and parameters from the receiver's touchscreen.
- Additional Camera Inputs: In addition, there is a third composite video camera input for adding a side camera or trailer-towing camera(sold separately). You can also configure the unit's 3.5mm AV input with the help of the include minijack-to-composite video adapter cable to act as a camera input for a side camera (sold separately) or other camera application.
- The optional PAC VS41 4 Camera Switcher (sold separately) can be added, allowing each camera to be triggered automatically based on the vehicle's status.
- The camera feature is meant as a driving aid only; never solely rely on the cameras while driving. In addition to using the cameras, always look around you to make sure everything is clear when making in vehicle maneuvers.
OEM Integration: The DMX9708S receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2; a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood head unit to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Nissan, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen, and Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2 lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2 lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2 interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR/RR2 module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Touchscreen & Remote Control
6.95" Capacitive Touchscreen: The Kenwood DMX9708S features a 6.95" widescreen (16:9) capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text; as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation. Touchscreen operations include tap, touch & hold, flick left or right, and swipe up or down.
- Custom Home Screen & Shortcuts: You can customize the head unit's Home Screen by rearranging the icons and moving the icons of the twelve sources you use most to the first page of the Home Screen. Four programmable shortcut source keys offer a quick jump to your favorite sources from almost any screen.
- Background Color & Wallpapers: You can choose between nine preset background colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White. You can also choose to link the displays color with the unit's front-panel variable color illumination that you set. In addition, there are four preset background images (wallpapers) or you can download your own still image (800x600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Customizable Widgets: You can customize the head unit's home screen by selecting multiple widgets. Widget options include album art of current song, clock, compass, photo frame, visualizer, and more. The photo frame widget lets you display a slideshow of images files (up to 500) stored on an inserted USB thumbdrive. Images must be JPEG (5000x5000), PNG (1000x1000), or BMP (1000x1000). Images remain on your USB device and are not downloaded to the head unit; the USB thumbdrive must be inserted for this feature to work.
- Picture & Angle Adjustments: You can adjust the display screen's backlight, contrast, brightness, color, & tint. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options
- While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as the built-in CarPlay and Android Auto.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31).
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the head unit's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange/white "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim the display manually.
Clock & Date: The digital multimedia receiver offers a 12-hour clock & day/month/year display. The clock is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or run position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Home button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DMX9708S offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience. Kenwood also offers a remote application which allows you to control the receiver from your smartphone device.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The head unit features a factory steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Remote S App: The Kenwood Remote S (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) is an application that will connect and control the in-dash receiver from your compatible Apple or Android device via Bluetooth, like a wireless remote control. You can select source input, as well as command basic playback controls such as Play/Pause or Previous/Next Track from the touchscreen of your compatible smartphone. This application can also display the receiver's source and song/artist information on the screen of your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield) is designed to operate this Kenwood receiver. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
The Kenwood DMX9708S replaces these items
- 6.95" resistive touchscreen display
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- wired or wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatible
1 question already asked
installed already on my truck, great upgrade from the stock radio. connects perfectly to phones. the installation was super simple with the instructions that i received, and getting the recommended kits is worth it makes the install much simpler.
Rodolfo from San Diego, CA