About the Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD
Stay in touch with everything through Kenwood's navigation marvel
Stay in touch with everything through Kenwood's navigation marvel
The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD navigation receiver puts you at the center of a moving multimedia universe. Not only do you get excellent guidance and an impressive array of standard features, but you can also take advantage of its built-in connectivity to stay in touch with your favorite sources of information or entertainment, whether you're on a brief solo errand run around town or taking a long road trip with the family.
Built-in Wi-Fi keeps you connected wherever you roam
The DNN991HD connects with Wi-Fi hotspots, like ones you can create in your car with a 4G USB dongle, tethered smartphone, or a mobile hotspot device. You'll need to set up an account with Kenwood's online server through your computer, tablet, or smartphone first. Once you're linked, you can dial up web-based content and your own digital songs and videos from various sources, including your phone's apps, your social media feeds, and music you've stored online. You can sync your account with any number of web-based services you use, and then enjoy them through the receiver as long as you're connected.
And you can even use your voice to do a cross-platform search for music. Simply say the name of an artist, and the receiver will search across all your connected sources (such as a thumb drive, iPod®, or your cloud-based music account) for what's available, saving you the hassle of looking through your devices for that one special song.
You can add up to four accounts for other drivers, and your Kenwood receiver will remember each user's preferences and content. A 2-year subscription is included with your purchase, and you'll pay a $60 fee for another two years after the subscription ends.
Easy-to-use Bluetooth® connectivity
Built-in Bluetooth lets you make and take calls through the receiver via your compatible phone — you can access your phonebook, last calls, and missed calls without using your hands. You'll get voice dialing support through most phones, and safe Siri® Eyes Free dialing with compatible iPhones. A wired connection will also get you automatic pairing with any iPhone®.
The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of any Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. Kenwood incorporates aptX technology into the receiver so your streaming tunes sound just as good as over a wired connection.
Speak your way to safer driving
With Nuance speech recognition software on board, the DNN991HD's able to read your incoming text messages, emails, and social media updates aloud when you're connected to the server, so you don't have to take your eyes off the road when someone's trying to get in touch. Want to reply safely? Nuance's speech-to-text capability lets you send an answer back with your voice, which is then translated into text by the receiver. You can keep your hands on the wheel and eyes focused on driving.
Preloaded apps to keep you entertained
Nobody wants to miss something important on their social networks when they're driving. Kenwood lets you tap into certain apps through the receiver when you're connected to the server. You can pull up Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, and Google Calendar, and have updates and reminders read aloud to you. If you're looking for great music on the go, you can search for tunes on YouTube, AUPEO!, and iHeartRadio, then have the audio accompanying your road trip within seconds.
Not only does Kenwood give you built-in apps, they also let you interact with your favorite road-ready apps through your phone:
iPhone: With a separate cable, you'll get control of your Pandora® Internet radio app through the receiver's touchscreen when connected. Limited control over your music apps is also available via wireless Bluetooth connection. The DNN991HD also offers compatibility with your iPhone's Siri feature for select email, Bluetooth calling, and iPod commands. The receiver's iPhone App Mode offers some basic interaction with select apps through its touchscreen using a wired connection; some apps such as streaming video may require the parking brake to be engaged.
- Android™: You'll get control of your smartphone's Pandora app through Bluetooth, so no cable needed. The Kenwood Music Control app also gives you easy search and playback functions of your Android phone's music through the receiver.
The DNN991HD also features an HDMI input, allowing you to connect most compatible Android smartphones and devices. With the correct HDMI or MHL cable connected, you'll be able to view video content from your phone on the Kenwood's screen while parked. The same goes for your iPhone 5 or newer, but you'll need to make sure you have the right combination of cables and adapters from Apple to view videos on the receiver's display.
Garmin guidance will keep you on the right track.
Guidance by Garmin, plus INRIX traffic reports
Hate getting lost? The navigation experts at Garmin have you covered with built-in maps of the entire U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. You'll also have 6 million points of interest to investigate along the way to your destination — you can even pull up the details of each one just by touching it on the map screen. You'll also get reliable routing, with text-to-speech voice prompts that announce actual street names at turns, lane assistance, 3D representations of buildings and landmarks, and realistic views of complicated intersections.
The DNN991HD can also tap into real-time traffic reports from INRIX when connected to the server, so you can see congestion along your route and find a way around it from the driver's seat. INRIX also provides updated area fuel prices, movie times, and available parking spots at pay lots, plus real-time photos from nearby traffic cameras, right on the receiver's screen.
Easy route transfer from your devices
You can map a route of your next journey and send it automatically to the DNN991HD, so it's ready for you when you hit the road. And if you don't have time for that, you can just email the destination location right to the receiver. You can save up to ten custom routes, and you won't need the Internet on the road to access them once they've been loaded to the receiver. You can even have the receiver send navigation map data to the Kenwood Server for future reference.
Control it all through a gorgeous multi-touch display
The DNN991HD's frameless 6.95" screen employs capacitive touch technology similiar to that found in most smartphones and tablets, allowing you to pinch-to-zoom and swipe the display for convenient control. You'll be able to magnify maps, quickly move between sources, and intuitively navigate the various menu screens with familiar finger motions. As an added bonus, the LED-backlit screen's brighter, sharper, and much more responsive than standard touch displays. You can position the screen right where you want it using the motorized reverse-tilt and angle-adjust functions.
Physical connections galore
This receiver not only keeps you connected to your online life on the road — it also offers a wealth of ways to plug in other devices. Two A/V inputs offer connections for more audio/video sources. Dual rear USB ports let you source tunes from both your iPod and thumb drive without the hassle of switching them out. You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's around your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs.
A sound investment
On top of all this, you'll still be able to play CDs and DVDs — including discs loaded with music files — through the DNN991HD, and you'll also be able to pull up high-fidelity AM/FM broadcasts where available though the HD Radio™ tuner. And if you're a satellite radio fan, you can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
Hear it all, all the time
Kenwood's Drive EQ+ technology boosts certain frequencies that are easily masked by wind and tires rolling on asphalt. It also enhances your music's bottom end as your speed increases, so you can really feel those tunes as you drive. You can also tweak the sound to your ears' content with a 13-band graphic equalizer and other soundshaping tools at your disposal.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
If your vehicle comes with factory add-ons like Ford SYNC®, GM OnStar®, or Chrysler Uconnect™, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the DNN991HD offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
For Ford SYNC systems, you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions. For GM vehicles, you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar, if present, while Chrysler owners will get to keep all their Uconnect functionality. The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Kenwood's screen.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD player with 6.95" capacitive touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Wi-Fi adapter for access to Kenwood Server and connected features (see "Connected Features")
- built-in Bluetooth with aptX for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 48kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive or memory card
- motorized screen with variable illumination color for keys
- remote control
Connected Features (subscription required):
- built-in streaming audio apps including AUPEO!, YouTube, and iHeartRadio
- access to Gmail, Google Calendar, web browser, Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds
- Nuance speech recognition: text-to-speech and speech-to-text for email, calendar, and social media updates
- cross-platform music search with voice recognition
- access to cloud-based media from personal digital locker account
- online trip planning and trip log
- built-in iPod,iPhone, and iPad control
- Pandora app control via Kenwood KCPA-IP102 cable, Apple dock connector cable, or Apple Lightning cable (limited control available via Bluetooth connection)
- Kenwood KCA-IP202 cable required for full access to audio/video content from older Apple devices
- Kenwood KCA-HD100 and Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter required for viewing video content from Lightning devices
- Siri Eyes Free control with iPhone 4s and newer
- built-in Android control
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- INRIX traffic and other updates when connected
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance, junction view, and 3D buildings and terrain
- search bar with predictive text
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- Drive EQ+ boosts low end and other frequencies to overcome road noise
- 13-band graphic EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment, space enhancer, sound realizer, sound elevation, bass boost, and loudness
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: HDMI input, two rear USB inputs, two rear A/V inputs, two camera inputs (front, rear)
- outputs: rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Network/navigation receiver with built-in 6.95" monitor (10A fuse installed in chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- 2 Trim rings
- Wiring harness
- Reverse/Brake harness
- AV/Camera input harness
- GPS antenna (with attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive base
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- Voice-control switch (attached 9.75' cord terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector)
- Remote control (KNA-RCDV331)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Self-adhesive strips
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USB WiFi Adapter Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
- Software License Agreement
- "Correction" note
Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear), Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||7.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Touchscreen Display + Voice Recognition
Motorized Capacitive Touchscreen (w/ Flick Scrolling): The Kenwood DNN991HD features a motorized 6.95" widescreen (16:9) capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The new capacitive touchscreen provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display images, vivid text, and superior pinch and zoom operation. This unit has touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy. You can scroll screen lists by simply flicking the screen up/down, or scroll screen pages by simply flicking the screen right/left. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal)
- Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Background Images: You can download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive or microSD card. You also choose between 3 preset wallpapers (skins).
- 4-Panel Home Screen Menu: The unit's Home Screen Menu consists of four panels which you can swipe left or right to access. The first "Service" panel displays the date & time, along with access to weather, news, SNS, and RSS updates. The second "Media" panel displays song or station information, along with network media history and photo albums. The third "Source" panel provides source selection of Navigation, Disc, Telephone, HD Radio, iPod, or USB/SD. The fourth "Network" panel lets you access entertainment apps, internet browser, and social media apps. You can customize each panel to your liking.
- Shortcuts: You can register sources and applications you use frequently so that you can access them more quickly.
Note: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display (21 languages including English, French, Spanish, and others).
Start Up Time: The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD has a start up time of approximately 31.3 seconds from Off to the Home Menu Screen. Once the Home Menu screen appears, you can select the Navigation Map, a connected source, or network app by simply tapping the appropriate icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
Split Screen AV Control: The DNN991HD's screen views can be easily toggled from one to another simply be touching the screen or appropriate button. The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the screen into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen and basic playback controls for the source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Advanced Speech Recognition (Voice Control): The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD is equipped with an Automatic Speech Recognition function which allows you to operate certain functions of this unit and connected devices with your voice, using the supplied external microphone and external "talk" button. The Advanced Speech Recognition and Voice Control feature of the DN9990HD allows for voice-controlled operation of the built-in Garmin navigation system and utilizes features such as input of addresses, phone numbers, POIs, and choosing menu options. The voice control system also operates the unit's audio/video system, allowing you to switch between multiple sources, seek out music and video files, access station presets, and access your Bluetooth phone's phonebook and make calls. Many of the network apps such as Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, YouTube, and AUEPO! support voice recognition. Simply press and hold the "talk" button to display a list of operable voice commands.
Note: The supported languages are US English, UK English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, and Spanish. Click here to access the unit's Voice Command Table.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Kenwood logo remains red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Clock Display: The navigation receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view the head unit's menu screens, source information, metadata, album artwork, and the navigation on-screen map. Entering log-in information requires that the parking brake is engaged.
2-DIN Chassis: The DNN991HD has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Garmin & HERE Navigation: With built-in Garmin & HERE navigation software and map data, the Kenwood DNN991HD features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The built-in maps include over 6-million Points of Interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, attractions, parking, airports, ATMs, and more. The built-in navigation software provides you with calculated on-screen routes and audible directions to follow in order to reach your destination safely.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the DNN991HD will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be downloaded as required, via SD/SDHC memory card. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood DNN991HD employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna features a self-adhesive base and an attached 11.5' cable which plugs into the back of the head unit. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted inside the vehicle on the dash. The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive pad measures 2.5625" square.
- Acquisition Time: 29 seconds (cold)
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Accuracy: <2.5 meters continuous (Position), 0.1 meter/sec (Velocity)
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 24.3 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It only took 9.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
HERE Traffic Data: HERE Traffic Data provides real-time traffic data for many major cities in North America, including the United States and Canada (a one time $60 subscription fee is required). If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure along your route, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. The navigation system may route you through a traffic delay if a better alternative route does not exist; the delay time is added into your estimated time of arrival automatically. When the unit is receiving traffic information, a traffic icon appears in the upper-left corner of the Map page. The traffic icon changes color to indicate the severity of traffic conditions on your route or on the road you are currently traveling.
|Green||Low severity||Traffic is flowing normally|
|Yellow||Medium severity||Traffic slightly congested|
|Red||High Severity||Traffic is heavily congested or stopped|
|Gray||No data||Traffic data has not updated|
On-Screen Map: The Kenwood DNN991HD displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the DNN991HD guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The upper-left corner of the screen indicates the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, your current speed is shown in the lower right corner. The posted speed limit for most major roads is displayed near the lower right corner as well. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen; including 3D landmarks & buildings).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, station wagon, sports car, compact car, SUV, jeep, RV, or sled) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-35) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit offers English, French, and Spanish voice prompts.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNN991HD will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Lane Assist w/ Junction View: Lane assist with junction view guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate. It realistically displays road signs and junctions on your route along with arrows that indicate the proper lane for navigation. As you navigate your route, the unit will provide detailed diagrams of the proper lane to travel when maneuvering a complex interchange. The Junction View page will display what the actual approaching junction looks like, and arrows indicating the lane in which you should be driving.
Exit Services + Speed Limit Icon: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature. A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posed speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
Destination & Location Screens: The DNN991HD offers a variety of destination/location screens & functions to help you along your route.
- Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
- Where To? Screen: The "Where To?" screen provides
several different ways to enter your destination. The navigation system
automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also
choose to have the DNN991HD search for places in a different city, a recent
destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your
- Browse Map: Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.
- Go Home: You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.
- Address/Cities/Intersections: Input your destination address by house number, street, city, and zip-code. You can also search for a city by name or search two intersecting streets.
- Smart POIs: The detailed maps loaded in this navigation system contain locations, such as restaurants, hotels, parking, auto services, and other POIs (points-of-interest). You can use these categories to browse for nearby businesses and attractions. You can even display the details of a POI just by touching it on the on-screen map.
- Favorites & Recents: You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later. You can also choose from one of your most recent destinations (up to 50) or waypoints.
- Coordinates Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
- Search Bar + Shortcuts: You can use the Search Bar to search for locations by entering a category, brand name, address, or city name. In addition, you can add up to 36 shortcuts to the Where to? menu. A shortcut can point to a location, a category, or a search tool.
- Where I've Been/Trip Log: The "Where I've Been" application allows you to view your previous routes and places you have stopped on the map. In addition, the device keeps a Trip Log, which is a record of the path you have traveled. The Travel History setting must be enabled in order for the Where I've Been and Trip Log features to function.
Route Preferences/Avoidances: When calculating a route, you can select the following preferences; faster time, shorter distance, less fuel, or off road. You can also program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route; such as U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads, and Ferries.
Auto Reroute/Detour: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNN991HD might not calculate a detour.
Trip Planner (Multiple Destination Routing): You can create and save a trip with multiple destinations (up to 500 via points) using the Trip Planner. Once you have entered your destinations, you can manually set them in the order of your preference, or allow the device to calculate the most efficient route. Trip itineraries can be saved in memory for future use.
Trip Computer: The trip information page displays your current speed and direction, and provides helpful statistics about your trip. Dual trip odometers keep up with your total mileage. The page also indicates the distance and driving time to your next maneuver, as well as the distance and driving time to your destination. Your maximum speed and moving average speed are also displayed. The information can be reset in advance of your next trip.
Trends: The DNN991HD has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Economy: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNN991HD calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- At The Pump: At your next fill-up, you can enter in fuel price, amount of fuel used, and the distance you traveled to calculate your vehicle's miles-per-gallon (MPG).
- ecoChallenge Tool: The ecoChallenge tool helps you
maximize your fuel economy by scoring your driving habits. The higher your
overall score for a driving challenge, the more fuel you could save. You
overall score is the average of these 3 scores:
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles.
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Smartphone Link w/ Garmin Live Services: The free Smartphone Link app can be downloaded from Apple's App Store or Google Play onto your Apple iPhone (iOS 6.0+) or Android smartphone (2.1+). The download includes several Garmin Live Services, as well as premium subscription services. Smartphone Link creates a seamless navigation experience between the Kenwood navigation receiver and your smartphone. It allows the two devices to share information; such as saved and recently found locations, where you parked, and your current destination. It also links the Kenwood navigation receiver to Garmin Live Services; such as traffic, weather, and fuel prices using your smartphone's current mobile data plan. Garmin Live Services provide the most up-to-date "live" information to the Kenwood navigation receiver using your smartphone's mobile data plan. There's no need for an additional data connection. Some services are included free when you connect to Smartphone Link; others are available through subscriptions that offer premium content and enhanced features.
- Live Traffic: Garmin Live Traffic provides the best-in-class real-time information to help you navigate in and around congestion. Live Traffic is updated every 2 minutes and receives more than 1,000 messages every update cycle. $20.00 per year subscription required.
- Traffic & Safety Cameras: You'll have the ability to look up real-time photos from traffic cameras to get a glance at traffic and weather conditions. It will also alert you to fixed and mobile safety camera data to help you arrive safely at your destination.
- Fuel Prices + Dynamic Parking: Use Garmin Live Services to find the best prices for any grade of fuel in your area or on your route; just tap the screen and go to your chosen station. It also helps you locate parking areas close to your destination and provide you with the number of spots available, as well as the current cost of the parking spot.
- Garmin Tracker: Allows you to track the location of your Kenwood navigation receiver and vehicle via myGarmin. You also can send a link via Facebook, Twitter, or email for others to track you as you travel.
- Weather: Current localized weather, temperature, and forecasts. In addition to what the free weather service provides, Advanced Weather also allows users to receive severe weather alerts and view animated radar images. Colors distinguish types of precipitation, such as rain, snow and ice, to help you avoid bad driving conditions.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving when the vehicle's parking brake is disengaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
Travel Tools: The DNN991HD offers tools you can use as you travel. The World Clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world. You can also display a map of the world showing which portions are in daylight and which are in darkness. The Unit Converter helps you convert distance, speed, area, currency, temperature, volume, and weight. A Calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
WiFi Hotspot: The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD offers built-in WiFi to connect to your WiFi-enabled smartphone (iPhone/Android/Blackberry/etc.) or mobile hotspot (data charges may apply), so you can access the Internet and enhance the receiver's mobile navigation, get content across multiple media sources, receive and send Facebook/Twitter updates, as well as manage e-mail hands-free from the head unit. Plus, you can share audio/video content on other WiFi-enabled devices through the Kenwood receiver. Your WiFi-enabled smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 4G, 3G, LTE, or EDGE. The unit is also designed to work with Verizon's 4G/3G Dongle (sold separately), so you can connect to the Internet without a smartphone or other mobile hotspot.
Note: The DNN991HD includes a WiFi receiver which is pre-installed in the unit's third rear-panel USB port. This USB port cannot be used for anything else.
Route Collector: To use internet services via the DNN991HD, you will need to create an account via Kenwood's Route Collector Site. The Route Collector website can be accessed from your computer or laptop using Chrome20+ or Firefox16+. A Route Collector App is also available for Apple iOS (7.0+) devices from Apple's App Store. Route Collector is a web service site where you can store and share your trip log, route, and photos taken while traveling on your home computer or smartphone app.
- Route Planner: You can plan out and customize a route from your computer or smartphone app, and then send the customized route to the DNN991HD when you are ready to leave for your trip.
- Come Here: When you go to pick up your family or friends, send them and email to decide the meeting point. After they enter the meeting point, you can easily set it as the destination of the navigation receiver.
- Trip Log: You are able to upload and review your information such as music, video, twitter, and GPS log during your trip. This information can be uploaded to the Kenwood Server and reviewed via the Route Collector website on your computer or smartphone app.
- Tracking: The Tracking function is a handy feature that can be used to track the location of your vehicle. You'll need to upload the initial location of your vehicle to the Route Collector site.
- Photo Album: You can take pictures along the route, create an album after your return from your trip, and share your album with friends and family on your computer or smartphone app.
Note: Up to four Route Collector accounts can be added for other drivers, with their unique travel and entertainment preferences and content stored by the Kenwood cloud server.
INRIX Traffic: While in the navigation mode, the DNN991HD pulls real-time data services from the INRIX Traffic Intelligence Platform to provide you with up-to-the-minute traffic, weather, parking, speed camera, and travel advisory information. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for in-vehicle navigation. These enhancements to the DNN991HD's built-in Garmin navigation provide an accurate, intuitive, and safe navigation experience.
- Digital Traffic: Traffic information is updated every 2 minutes and receives more than 1,000 messages every update cycle in order to help you navigate around traffic safely and quickly.
- PhotoLive: Look up real-time photos from traffic cameras to see traffic and weather conditions.
- Dynamic Parking: Find parking close to your destination. See the number of spots available and parking prices.
- Fuel Prices: Find the best prices for any grade of fuel in your area or on your route.
- Weather: Displays the updated weather forecast supported by INRIX. You get today's weather forecast and the weather forecast for the next 6 days in your selected region. You can enter a region using the voice recognition function.
- Movie Times: You can find theaters and showtimes by entering movie titles or theater names.
Note: This unit comes with a free 2 year subscription to INRIX Traffic. To use after those two years, a usage fee is required ($24.95 per month).
Hands-Free Social Media: You are able to sync your Facebook, Twitter, E-mail account, Google Calendar, and RSS Feeds with the DNN991HD for hands-free social media interaction. The DNN991HD can receive and send messages over Facebook and e-mail, as well as manage Twitter and RSS feeds hands-free via voice command. Advanced speech recognition, text-to-speech, and speech-to-text conversion processing via the dedicated Kenwood cloud server make this possible. A simple intuitive layout allows easy access to your social media.
- Facebook: Check friends' status updates and post your own messages on Facebook using the head unit's touchscreen or voice recognition.
- Twitter: Check tweets and post your own tweets on Twitter via touchscreen control or voice recognition.
- Email: You may check your mail box on G-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, etc..
- Google Calendar: You can display today's schedule registered in your Google Calendar. You can also edit your schedule from the head unit..
- RSS Feeds: RSS is a web feed format used to publish frequently updated works such as blog entries, news headlines in a standardized format.
Note: You can create different user accounts to maintain privacy when using email and social media. You can register up to 4 user accounts. User accounts can be assigned as Administrator, Guest, Owner, or User.
Internet Browser: The DNN991HD provides an Internet web browser so you can surf the internet and access your favorite websites in your vehicle. You may enter a URL address or keyword search to find websites. The player will archive your web browser history and allows you to bookmark your favorite sites. The Web Browser supports audio, video, and still image playback and is optimized to fill up the unit's touchscreen monitor.
TTS (Text-to-Speech) + STT (Speech-to-Text): The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD supports Text-to-Speech and Speech-to-Text for various network applications, letting you keep your eyes on the road. Text-to-Speech is available for Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, RSS Feeds, and Google Calendar. Speech-to-Text is available for Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, Mixed Media Search, Weather, YouTube, and AUPEO!.
Note: User account & log-in information cannot be done through voice recognition, and must be entered using the head unit's touchscreen.
Cloud Storage (via Dropbox): You can download your music files to Dropbox through Kenwood's Route Collector site and your computer, and then play these same music files through the Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD via its "Kenwood Storage" source selection. You can store up to 2GB of music for free (fees apply for larger storage). The unit supports playback of MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, FLAC music files from your Cloud storage (copyrighted content is not supported). You can search your music files by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre. To narrow the search even more, you can search the selected category alphabetically (A-Z). Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track, Random/Repeat) are also supported.
Entertainment Apps: The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD includes pre-installed entertainment apps which allows you to enjoy videos and music from various online music services such as YouTube, Aupeo!, and iHeartRadio.
- YouTube: You can play videos uploaded to YouTube. You can search YouTube video content by Keywords, Categories, or your Favorites. Searches can be done through the unit's touchscreen controls or voice recognition function. You are able to control basic video playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Fast Forward/Rewind. Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to watch YouTube videos.
- Aupeo!: You can listen to music from the online radio service, Aupeo!. With Aupeo! Personal Radio, you can listen to free music on the internet. Aupeo! lets you play lots of music and choose the playlist based on your personal taste. The basic concept is based on personal music DNA, which allows you to 'love' or 'ban' songs. The highly advanced software then remembers this and adjusts as necessary. As a result, Aupeo! offers over 100 compilation genre channels, as well as thousands of artist channels. Listen to music online based on your tastes and preferences or use the one-of-a-kind 'Mood Tuner' to fit how you're feeling.
- iHeartRadio: The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The DNN991HD will provide control over the iHeartRadio music service, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. You can search stations by My Stations, Recently Played, Stations Near You, Stations by Location, Music & Entertainment Genres, Talk Radio, and Featured Artists.
Note: You can continue to listen to the Aupeo! or iHeartRadio music app while you access your Facebook, Twitter, or email accounts, as well as view the navigation map or activate menu settings.
Kenwood Wireless Link: The DNN991HD's WiFi hotspot capability allows it to act as a Media Server and Media Player in the car. The Media Server function allows you to stream audio/video content from its connected USB device or inserted microSD card to another network media player, such as your Android smartphone or tablet. The Media Player functions allows the DNN991HD to receive and play audio/video content stored in another media server device, such as your Android smartphone or tablet. MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, and FLAC audio files are supported. MPEG-1/2, MPEG-4, and WMV video files are supported.
Mixed Media Search: As an entertainment device, the DNN991HD can perform a cross-platform media search for audio content stored on your WiFi-connected smartphone, connected USB device, inserted microSD card, Cloud "Dropbox" storage. You can search for content by artist or album name. Enter your search using the head unit's touchscreen keypad or voice commands.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood DNN991HD is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DNN991HD. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DNN991HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The touchscreen controls of the DNN991HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (0-99 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNN991HD, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 30 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 3 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DNN991HD. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming w/ aptX CSR: The Kenwood DNN991HD supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DNN991HD even employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like some Androids). The DNN991HD will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DNN991HD also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood DNN991HD has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DNN991HD and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DNN991HD; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DNN991HD's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The Kenwood DNN991HD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2/DivX video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
Dual USB Ports: The Kenwood DNN991HD features two rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A ports (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by 39" cables) for connection and control of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DNN991HD also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, DivX and MKV, WMV video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
SD Card Slot: The network/navigation head unit is fitted with a SD card slot hidden behind the unit's motorized touchscreen monitor. The microSD card slot supports both SD memory cards and SDHC memory cards (up to 32GB). The unit supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, Flac audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible SD/SDHC memory card. The DNN991HD also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, DivX and MKV, WMV video files from an inserted SD/SDHC memory card.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DNN991HD supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||Flash (USB MSC or SD/SDHC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48 kHz
to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps
DivX: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps)
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
H.264: 352 x 240, 352 x 288, 720 x 480, 720 x 576 (8.0Mbps)
WMV/MKV: 640 x 480 (2. Mbps)
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
Highlight Control (DVD Playback): During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Search Functions (USB only): The Kenwood DNN991HD offers unique search functions for USB playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Picture Search: The unit will display up to eight thumbnails of still-images to choose from. The selected thumbnail will become a full screen image.
- Album Artwork: You can search music files by selecting the Album Artwork. You can even create an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums by selecting album artwork.
Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood DNN991HD supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input or HDMI input. The DNN991HD offers audio/video playback of connected Apple iPod/iPhone models (video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park).
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood DNN991HD. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps (like Netflix) on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DNN991HD. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DNN991HD.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DNN991HD for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the Kenwood DNN991HD, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod/iPhone Control: In addition to audio/video playback, the Kenwood DNN991HD supports control, song/artist information display, and battery charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DNN991HD will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Pandora and iHeart Radio will also display metadata information. Other music apps will only display song/artist information in Apps mode.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone & Android (via HDMI): You can listen to audio from stored music and music apps, as well as watch video from stored movies and movie apps (like Netflix) on your iPhone (iOS 7+) or Android smartphone, using the head unit's HDMI input and its Apps Mode. The head unit will mirror the display of your mobile device (not always full-screen) when in App Mode. App Mode also provides basic playback control from the receiver's touchscreen (iPhone only). Basic playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track. Using either a compatible iPhone or Android smartphone, you can also exit App Mode and access Pandora, and iHeartRadio directly from the head unit's touchscreen with advance music navigation and control. In addition, the iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control when connected via HDMI. Access to your iPhone and Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android and Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have an older 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-pin digital AV adapter and Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need a a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Android Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as Kenwood's KCA-MH100 cable (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/III requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is also needed for communication. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: Apps Mode does not require that the parking brake be engaged. You will need to unscrew the HDMI bracket on the back of receiver before plugging in your HDMI cable; the bracket needs to be re-attached once your HDMI cable is connected.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DNN991HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/23/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||WiFi Hotspot||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps Mode||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- *Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately).
- **Requires Apple's 30-pin digital AV adapter, Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNN991HD to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DNN991HD's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora App (for iPhone/Android/Blackberry): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps, Google Play, or BlackBerry App World) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood DNN991HD using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android/Blackberry smartphone. The Kenwood DNN991HD provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iPhone Connectivity: Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the DNN991HD via the Kenwood KCA-iP102 cable (sold separately), the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth.
- Android Connectivity: Your Android or Blackberry smartphone must be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the Kenwood DNN991HD.
Note: Your iPhone, Android smartphone, or Blackberry device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android/Blackberry smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood DNN991HD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- Alerts: Song/Artist Alert notifies when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. You can also be alerted to information pertaining to your local weather and traffic.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Excelon Series: The DNN991HD navigation receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage 5V preouts, plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DNN991HD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 90dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DNN991HD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNN991HD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The DNN991HD features front, rear and subwoofer 5-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the Delay Time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Location: You can set the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers. The Front speakers can be set to Door, On Dash, or Under Dash. The Rear speakers can be set to Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- Speaker Size: You can select the speaker size for your Front and Rear speakers (including tweeter), as well as your subwoofer. The Front and Rear speakers can be set to OEM, 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10". The tweeter can be set to Small, Middle, Large, or None. The Subwoofer can be set to 6.5", 8", 10", 12", or 15"+. Select None if you have no Rear speaker or sub.
- X'Over: The head unit features independent Front & Rear high-pass crossovers, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover. The Front & Rear high-pass crossovers and Subwoofer low-pass crossover can be set to 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range).
- Sub Control: You can adjust the subwoofer output's Phase (0° or 180°) and Level (-50to +10dB).
Note: You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
Equalizer: The DNN991HD offers 10 preset EQs for easy adjustment and a 13-band parametric EQ for fine-tuning. You can select from Flat, Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Powerful, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types within your iPod), or User (customized 13-band EQ). The 13-band equalizer consists of 62.5Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3khz, 10kHz, & 16kHz which can be adjusted from -9 to +9dB.
Note: Separate EQ settings and EQ presets are stored for each source (Disc, Tuner, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Music Enhancers: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression to a realistic sound.
- Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 1, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Sound Effects: The DNN991HD provides unique sound effect adjustments.
- Space Enhancer: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level.
- Elevation: You can virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers. The Elevation Level can be set to High, Low, or Off.
Bass Management: The DNN991HD offers Bass Boost, Bass DC Extension, and Loudness.
- Bass Boost: The DNN991HD features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies.
- Bass DC Extension: When turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 13-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Volume Level Adjustment: The navigation receiver offers several volume level adjustment to tailor the audio output of your sources.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Drive EQ: Drive EQ setting automatically optimizes the sound quality to meet the current vehicle speed by GPS to compensate for road noise.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Kenwood DNN991HD navigation receiver is fitted with two rear-panel audio/video inputs. The AV-1 input consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA audio jacks for connection of an external AV source, such as TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The AV-2 input consists of a 3.5mm jack for connection of portable mobile device and also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Kenwood cable).
HDMI/MHL Input: The In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system; you can also route the audio of the the dual zone source to the head unit's rear speakers. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, AV-1, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: Different sources from iPod/iPhone cannot be set as front and rear sources independently. Only one iPod/iPhone source can be set as front and rear sources. Apps mode and the HDMI/MHL input are not available to the second zone.
Dual Camera Inputs: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear & front view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds.
Note: By connecting the Kenwood CMOS-320 Universal Multi-View Camera (113CMOS320, sold separately) to the DNN991HD, you gain the capability of turning parking guidelines on/off, as well as cycle through five different multi-views right from the touchscreen. You can also toggle between front & rear cameras when using two CMOS-320 simultaneously.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, and select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier. The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). In some installations, the iDatalink Maestero RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestor RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control (KNA-RCDV331) is designed for wireless operation of this Kenwood navigation receiver. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission, so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight. The remote operates Audio, Video, Navigation, and Bluetooth functions.
The Kenwood Excelon DNN991HD replaces these items
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- Wi-Fi connectivity for access to digital entertainment and information sources
- built-in Garmin navigation system with Insta-Route and Insta-Search
- Wi-Fi connectivity for access to digital entertainment and information sources
- built-in Garmin navigation system with Insta-Route and Insta-Search
- built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio tuner; compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
24 questions already asked