About the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD
Get going more quickly
Get going more quickly
The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD navigation receiver features Insta-Search and Insta-Route, which will get you started on your journey fast and save you time searching for locations. It uses predictive text so you'll even save time typing in the name of your destination, while built-in trademark guidance from Garmin ensures your routes are accurate and easy to follow. You can also take advantage of smartphone connectivity that lets you incorporate your phone's features with your commute while maintaining safe driving practices.
Take your phone with you
The DNX690HD makes it easy to get more out of your phone on the go, but it works in different ways for different devices:
iPhone®: With a separate cable, you'll get control of your Pandora® Internet radio, Aha Radio, and iHeartRadio apps through the receiver's touchscreen when connected. App Mode also gives you limited control over other select apps on your phone. The DNX690HD also offers compatibility with your iPhone's Siri® feature for select email, Bluetooth® calling, and iPod® commands.
Android™: You'll get control of your smartphone's Pandora, Aha Radio, and iHeartRadio apps through Bluetooth, so no cable needed. The Kenwood Music Control app also gives you easy search and playback functions of your Android phone's music through the receiver.
BlackBerry®: You'll get Pandora Internet radio app control through Bluetooth, so no cable needed.
Free built-in NAVTEQ traffic reports
NAVTEQ traffic information for major metropolitan areas comes with the DNX690HD, at no cost to you. You'll be able to see congestion along your route and find a way around it from the driver's seat.
Bluetooth compatibility for hands-free calling
Built-in Bluetooth lets you make and take calls through the receiver via your compatible phone. When your iPhone's connected with a cable, the receiver will automatically send a pairing request to your phone — all you have to do is accept or deny the request. The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of any Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone.
HD Radio™ tuner
The DNX690HD also features an HD Radio tuner. You'll enjoy much-improved AM/FM sound quality when you're tuned into a local participating station, and there's no subscription required — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
More audio and video options
This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files, while two rear A/V inputs offer connections for more audio/video sources. You can plug your iPod or a thumb drive into the rear USB port, and enjoy all your favorite albums and playlists. No matter what you're listening to, Kenwood designed the DNX690HD to send a crisp, clear audio signal to your speakers, and you can use the 3-band parametric equalizer and other soundshaping tools to adjust the sound for your vehicle.
The high-resolution 6.1" WVGA screen is perfect for viewing video from DVDs or other sources when you're parked. You can tap into video content on your iPod or iPhone with the help of an iPod cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained during long road trips.
Expand your system
You can hook up a satellite radio tuner (not included) to the receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides. You can also connect a rear-view camera, so you can see what's behind you as you back out of a tight parking space. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs available, including a dedicated subwoofer output with low-pass filter and level control.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your SYNC features
If your Ford vehicle comes with factory SYNC features, you don't have to worry about losing your favorite conveniences to get navigation and better sound — the DNX690HD offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module. For SYNC systems, you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions, plus enjoy expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor. The DNX690HD will also be compatible with GM OnStar and Chrysler uConnect systems, with adapters from iDatalink coming soon.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility of this device may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod or iPhone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD player with 6.1" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Pandora control for iPhone (cable required), Android, and BlackBerry
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in iPod control: Kenwood cable required for full access to audio/video content
- remote control
- built-in Garmin navigation system with Insta-Route and Insta-Search
- maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- free lifetime NAVTEQ traffic service
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 3-band parametric EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro to retain factory SYNC functionality
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DNX-690HD
What's in the box:
Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD owner's manual
- Double-DIN navigation receiver with built-in 6.1" monitor (10A fuse installed in chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Reverse/Brake harness
- GPS antenna (with attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive base
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- IR wireless remote control (KNA-RCDV331)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- "Attention" note
Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD
Features & specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm x 2 (rear)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Screen Type||Basic (Resistive)|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||7.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Disc & USB Playback
Excelon Series: The DNX690HD navigation receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage preouts (5V), and a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DNX690HD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DNX690HD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX690HD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs: The DNX690HD features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The DNX690HD features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from 'Through' (off), 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood DNX690HD offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 50, 60, 80, Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz, or 'Through' (off).
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-50 to +10) from the navigation receiver.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the DNX690HD according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
Preset EQ: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (12.5kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Flat, and User.
EQ Pro: The DNX690HD features independent Bass, Treble, and Midrange control when the Preset EQ is in User mode. EQ Pro allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.
|Center Frequency||Q-Factor||Bass Extension||Level|
|Bass||40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz||1.00, 1.25, 1.50, or 2.00||On/Off||-8 to +8|
|Midrange||0.5k, 1.0k, 1.5k, or 2.0k Hz||1.00 or 2.00||N/A|
|Treble||10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, or 17.5k Hz||N/A||N/A|
Note: You can store bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, AV, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora).
Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Key Beep: The in-dash multimedia head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
6.1" Touchscreen Display (w/ Flick Scrolling): The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD features a fixed 6.1" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. You can scroll screen lists by simply flicking the screen up/down, or scroll screen pages by simply flicking the screen right/left.
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal)
- Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Background Images: You can download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Custom Top Menu: The Top Menu screen (main menu) features two rows of source & settings icons. The top row has 3 large icons which can be accessed directly, while the bottom row has 12 smaller icons which have to be scrolled through. You can customize the Top Menu by selecting your three favorite source/settings icons as the top 3 icons.
Start Up Time: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD has a start up time of approximately 29.5 seconds from Off to the "Warning" screen. Once the "Warning" screen appears, you can tap the "Agree" button on the head unit's touchscreen to go instantly to the Navigation screen or press the "Menu" hard-key to access the Source menu.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language; English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Split Screen AV Control: The DNX690HD's screen views can be easily toggled from one to another simply be touching the screen or appropriate button. The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the screen into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen and basic playback controls for the source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, album artwork, and the navigation on-screen map.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial along the left edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Eject and Kenwood logo remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display and button illumination automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness. You can also manually dim the unit's display and button illumination.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
2-DIN Chassis: The DNX690HD has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Garmin/NAVTEQ Navigation: With built-in Garmin navigation software and NAVTEQ map data (CN North America NT 2013), the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The built-in maps include over 6-million Points of Interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, attractions, parking, airports, ATMs, and more. The built-in navigation software provides you with calculated on-screen routes and audible directions to follow in order to reach your destination safely.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the DNX690HD will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be downloaded as required, via microSD memory card. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
Note: The unit's microSD-card slot is located on the front-panel hidden behind a flip-out cover (labeled NAV Map). The microSD-card slot is only used for software and map updates. It cannot be used for playback of media files from an microSD memory card.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna that features a self-adhesive base and an attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to GPS-input on the back of the head unit. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted inside the vehicle on the dash. The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive pad measures 2.5625" x 2.5625"
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Position Accuracy: <6 meters, typical
Note: The first time you turn on this unit, you must wait while the system acquires satellite signals for the first time. This process could take up to several minutes. Make sure your vehicle is outdoors in an open area away from tall building and trees for fastest acquisition. After the system acquires satellites for the first time, it will acquire satellites quickly each time thereafter.
NAVTEQ Traffic: NAVTEQ Traffic receives traffic information that is broadcast over the FM Radio Data System. The free FM TMC subscription activates automatically after the navigation system acquires satellite signals while receiving traffic signals from the service provider. NAVTEQ Traffic provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including the United States and Canada. If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. Alternatively, in manual mode, the system will add delay time to your trip so you can decide to avoid or continue on your current route. When the unit is receiving traffic information, a traffic icon appears in the upper-left corner of the Map page. The traffic icon changes color to indicate the severity of traffic conditions on your route or on the road you are currently traveling.
|Green||Low severity||Traffic is flowing normally|
|Yellow||Medium severity||Traffic slightly congested|
|Red||High Severity||Traffic is heavily congested or stopped|
|Gray||No data||Traffic data has not updated|
Note: NAVTEQ includes a lifetime service subscription. Because NAVTEQ traffic is subsidized by unobtrusive pop-up advertising there is no subscription fees.
On-Screen Map: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the DNX690HD guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The upper-left corner of the screen indicates the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, your current speed is shown in the lower right corner. The posted speed limit for most major roads is displayed near the lower right corner as well. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, station wagon, sports car, compact car, SUV, jeep, RV, or sled) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-35) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit only offers English voice prompts in a male or female voice.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX690HD will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Turn/Lane Assistant: While navigating a route, a preview of the next turn, lane change, or other maneuver appears in the upper-left corner of the map. The preview includes the distance to the turn or maneuver and the lane in which you should be traveling, if available.
Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Speed Limit Icon: A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posed speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
Where To? Screen: The Where To? screen provides several different categories for you to use when searching for addresses, cities, and other locations. The detailed map loaded in the navigation system also contains millions of points of interest to choose from.
|Browse Map||Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.|
|Go Home||You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.|
|Address||Input your destination address by house number, street, city, and zip-code.|
|Cities||Allows you to search by city's name.|
|Intersections||Allows you to search where to streets intersect.|
The detailed maps loaded in this navigation system contain locations, such as restaurants, hotels, auto services, and other POIs (points-of-interest). You can use these categories to browse for nearby businesses and attractions.
|Favorites||You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later.|
|Recent||Choose from one of your most recent destinations or waypoints.|
|Coordinates||Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.|
|Search Bar||You can use the Search Bar to search for locations by entering a category, brand name, address, or city name.|
|Shortcuts||You can add up to 36 shortcuts to the Where to? menu. A shortcut can point to a location, a category, or a search tool.|
Note: The navigation system automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also choose to have the DNX690HD search for places in a different city, a recent destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your current route.
Route Preferences/Avoidances: When calculating a route, you can select the following preferences; faster time, shorter distance, less fuel, or off road. You can also program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route; such as U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads, and Ferries.
Auto Reroute/Detour: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX690HD might not calculate a detour.
Trip Planner (Multiple Destination Routing): You can create and save a trip with multiple destinations (up to 500 via points) using the Trip Planner. Once you have entered your destinations, you can manually set them in the order of your preference, or allow the device to calculate the most efficient route. Trip itineraries can be saved in memory for future use.
Where I've Been/Trip Log: The Where I've Been application allows you to view your previous routes and places you have stopped on the map. In addition, the device keeps a Trip Log, which is a record of the path you have traveled. The Travel History setting must be enabled in order for the Where I've Been and Trip Log features to function.
Trip Computer: The trip information page displays your current speed and direction, and provides helpful statistics about your trip. Dual trip odometers keep up with your total mileage. The page also indicates the distance and driving time to your next maneuver, as well as the distance and driving time to your destination. Your maximum speed and moving average speed are also displayed. The information can be reset in advance of your next trip.
Trends: The DNX690HD has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Economy: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX690HD calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- At The Pump: At your next fill-up, you can enter in fuel price, amount of fuel used, and the distance you traveled to calculate your vehicle's miles-per-gallon (MPG).
- ecoChallenge Tool: The ecoChallenge tool helps you
maximize your fuel economy by scoring your driving habits. The higher your
overall score for a driving challenge, the more fuel you could save. You
overall score is the average of these 3 scores:
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles.
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.Future Update for Smartphone Link w/ Garmin Live Services: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD will require a future software update (not yet available) to support Garmin's Smartphone Link App and Live Services. The free Smartphone Link can be downloaded from the Google Play store. The download includes several Garmin Live Services, as well as premium subscription services. Smartphone Link creates a seamless navigation experience between the Kenwood navigation receiver and your Android smartphone (2.1+). It allows the two devices to share information; such as saved and recently found locations, where you parked, and your current destination. It also links the Kenwood navigation receiver to Garmin Live Services; such as traffic, weather, and fuel prices using your smartphone's current mobile data plan. Garmin Live Services provide the most up-to-date "live" information to the Kenwood navigation receiver using your Android's mobile data plan. There's no need for an additional data connection. Some services are included free when you connect to Smartphone Link; others are available through subscriptions that offer premium content and enhanced features.
- Live Traffic: Garmin Live Traffic provides the best-in-class real-time information to help you navigate in and around congestion. Live Traffic is updated every 2 minutes and receives more than 1,000 messages every update cycle.
- photoLive Traffic Cameras: Provides drivers the ability to look up real-time photos from traffic cameras to get a glance at traffic and weather conditions.
- Real-time Safety Cameras: Alerts you to fixed and mobile safety camera data to help you arrive safely at your destination.
- Fuel Prices: Helps you find the best prices for any grade of fuel in your area or on your route. Just tap the screen and go to your chosen station.
- Dynamic Parking: Helps you locate parking areas close to your destination. It also will provide you with the number of spots available and the current cost of the parking spot.
- Garmin Tracker: Allows you to track the location of your Kenwood navigation receiver and vehicle via myGarmin. You also can send a link via Facebook, Twitter, or email for others to track you as you travel.
- Local Weather (free): Current localized weather, temperature, and forecasts.
- Advanced Weather: In addition to what the free weather service provides, Advanced Weather also allows users to receive severe weather alerts and view animated radar images. Colors distinguish types of precipitation, such as rain, snow and ice, to help you avoid bad driving conditions.
Note: An unlimited data plan is recommended when using Garmin Live Services. Some services may not be available in all areas. Some services may require a paid subscription.
Tools: The DNX690HD offers tools you can use as you travel.
- World Clock: The world clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world. You can also display a map of the world showing which portions are in daylight and which are in darkness.
- Unit Converter: You can convert distance, speed, area, currency, temperature, volume, and weight.
- Calculator: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving. You will need to engage the parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (2.1+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Kenwood head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The touchscreen controls of the DNX690HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (within 0-99 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX690HD, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen (your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged).
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DNX690HD. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
External Microphone: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.505" (depth).
Note: This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
SMS: You can wirelessly download a SMS text-message arrived at your cell-phone so that it can be read on the Bluetooth-connected Kenwood head unit. You can reply to a SMS test-message by using the head unit's touchscreen to enter alphanumeric text. There is a limited amount of text that can be downloaded or entered. You can also select a quick reply from the head unit's template list; such as "I'm driving right now" or "I will call you later", etc.. Your cell-phone must support SMS via Bluetooth for this feature to function. Do not read incoming messages or reply while driving.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Kenwood DNX690HD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DNX690HD will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DNX690HD also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Digital Assistant Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or 5/5C/5S via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DNX690HD and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DNX690HD; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone 4S/5/5C/5S. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Bluetooth Detailed Settings: The DNX690HD offers the following Bluetooth Detailed Settings, so you can configure the unit to suit your needs.
- Speaker Output: You can select whether the call beep/caller's voice is heard through only the front speakers or all speakers.
- Mic Level: Adjusts the volume of the external microphone.
- NR Level: Reduces the noises generated by the surrounding environment without changing the mic volume.
- EC Level: Adjusts the level of echo cancellation.
Disc & USB Playback
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R/RW, DTS-CD, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Port: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 39" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DNX690HD also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/
sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1kHz
to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
|Photo||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Dolby Digital/DTS: The DNX690HD supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 DVD discs and will convert multi-channel Dolby Digital sources to 2-channel.
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
Highlight Control (DVD Playback): During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Search Functions (USB only): The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD offers unique search functions for USB playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Picture Search: The unit will display up to eight thumbnails of still-images to choose from. The selected thumbnail will become a full screen image.
Zoom: The DNX690HD features a 3 level zoom when playing back video and still images.
Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. The tested unit contained firmware version 30100721 (V1.0.0). Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD supports audio/video playback from select Apple iPods and iPhones.
- Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and rear-panel 3.5mm A/V AUX input allow you to connect select Apple iPod/iPhones using the Kenwood KCA-IP202 iPod cable (113IP202, sold separately). The unit's USB port handles the control, metadata display, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. You can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display, while your iPod/iPhone charges. The 3.5mm AV input handles audio and video transfer from your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD. By using the Auxiliary input, the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod/iPhone. The unit's rear-panel AV input must be set to "iPod" in order to playback audio/video from your connected iPod/iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- Audio Only Playback: If you only want to playback audio from your iPod or iPhone, you can simply connect it to the DNX690HD's USB port using either the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPod/iPhone or Kenwood's iPod Direct Connect Cable (113KCIP102, sold separately). This 1-wire USB connection bypasses the iPod/iPhone's DAC and sound quality is maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 98dB. The unit's rear-panel AV input must be set to "AV-IN2" in order to use the 1-wire USB connection. You will not be able to play Digital-Rights-Protected files.
Note: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
iPod Control: You can choose to control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit, from the iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen, or from select apps streamed to your iPhone.
- Head Unit Control Mode: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories alphabetically (A-Z) using the head unit's touchscreen slider function. You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- iPod/App Control Mode: The iPod/App control mode allows you to control stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The iPod/App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Kenwood head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can even watch video on the Kenwood navigation receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+), via the Kenwood KCA-IP202 iPod cable (sold separately). The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include - Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood multimedia head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. The unit will also display Album Art. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone in iPod/App Control Mode, the DNX690HD will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display 'iPhone App/iPod Control Mode + Parking Off').
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Bluetooth||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Pandora||Aha Radio||Phone||Audio||Siri||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
- *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio+Pandora/Aha+SiriusXM Ready
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Tuning: The DNX690HD navigation receiver offers a
variety of tuning options; including Seek, Tuner, and Direct Access.
- Seek Modes: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX690HD to search only HD Radio stations.
- Tuner Presets: The DNX690HD's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Direct Access Tuning: You can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
- Station Text + Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The DNX690HD also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes (7.4 or later) the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. You can "tag" up to 50 songs.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD navigation receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone, Android smartphone, or Blackberry device. Your iPhone, Android, or Blackberry smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
- Connection Type: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD provides
Pandora App access via a USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled
- Pandora App for iPhone: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's rear-panel USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS5 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Pandora App for Android/Blackberry: The Kenwood DNX690HD lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android or Blackberry smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Pandora from the Kenwood head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android or Blackberry smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Google Play App Store or BlackBerry App World. Your Android or Blackberry smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
- Station Control: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD will
provide control over the Pandora music service streamed to your
USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android/Blackberry smartphone.
- Station/Genre List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also select from Pandora's Genre Stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Shuffle: Randomly selects artists/songs from your Pandora Station List for playback.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android/Blackberry smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Aha Radio App: The Kenwood navigation receiver offers compatibility with the free Aha Radio app for iPhone and Android smartphone. Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Kenwood's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily.
- Aha Radio for iPhone: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD provides complete access to your Aha Radio account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 4.3 or later) with the latest version of the free Aha Radio app from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Aha Radio for Android: The DNX690HD also lets you playback and control Aha Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Aha Radio from the Kenwood head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the free Aha Radio App from the Google Play store. Your Android smartphone (2.2+) must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need an Aha Radio account. Access to the Aha Radio will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
Channel list displays a list of all available channels
Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content
GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast
Song/Artist Alert notifies when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station
iTunes Tagging lets you 'tag' songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your USB-connected iPod/iPhone, so the next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes you will be able to preview your selections, purchase songs, and download them directly from iTunes
Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD navigation receiver is fitted with two rear-panel 3.5mm audio/video inputs. The AV2 input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Kenwood cable). The optional Kenwood AV cable (113CAC3AV, sold separately) provides composite video/stereo RCA audio inputs. You can label each AV Input.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-210 (113CMOS210, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to the rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.2 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, Video, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: You cannot select iPod as the A/V Output source when you select Pandora as a main source in dual zone function.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control (KNA-RCDV331) is designed for wireless operation of this Kenwood navigation receiver. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission, so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight. The remote operates Audio, Video, Navigation, and Bluetooth functions.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood multimedia head unit is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood head unit to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar. The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford or GM owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood multimedia head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar, steering wheel controls, hands-free Bluetooth, USB interface (Ford only), Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). In addition, the Kenwood multimedia head unit can be configured to operate interior climate controls, distance and proximity sensors, tire pressure sensors, and vehicle gauges such as engine temperature, RPM, and other performance indicators (if factory equipped).
- Ford Installation: The iDatalink Maestro RR module must first be connected to your Windows PC via USB and "flashed" with the (SR)-FOR01-DS2 firmware from iDatalink's Weblink site, prior to installation. The iDatalink Maestro RR (MRR) requires the use of the iDatalink Maestro ADS-HRN(SR)-FOR01 installation harness (794HRNSRF1, sold separately) when installed in your compatible Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicle.
- GM Installation: The iDatalink Maestro RR module requires the use of the iDatalink Maestro ADS-HRN(SR)-GMS05 installation harness (794HRNGMS5, sold separately). The module must also be connected to your Windows PC and flashed with the SR-GMS05-DS firmware update.
Note: The Kenwood head unit features an OEM Setup menu that must be configured with your Ford SYNC or GM OnStar factory system before initial operation.
The Kenwood Excelon DNX690HD replaces these items
- built-in Garmin navigation system with Insta-Route and Insta-Search
- Pandora connectivity with iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry
- built-in Bluetooth and HD Radio tuner; compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- double-DIN DVD/CD navigation receiver with 6.1" touchscreen
- PANDORA® connectivity with iPhone®, Android, and Blackberry
- built-in Bluetooth® and HD Radio® tuner, compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
9 questions already asked