About the Kenwood DNX719VHD
Your VW deserves a truly outstanding receiver
Your VW deserves a truly outstanding receiver
Breathe new life into your Volkswagen with Kenwood's DNX719VHD multimedia navigation receiver. It fits right into the dash of select 2006-up Volkswagens, with no additional dash kit needed. You get a factory look with a slew of great features, including touchscreen navigation, Bluetooth® connectivity, DVD playback, an HD Radio™ tuner, smartphone app access, and much more. And a wealth of connections allows you to enjoy music from your thumb drive or iPod®, as well as songs or files on disc.
GPS guidance by Garmin
A super-fast processor combines with Garmin navigation software to bring you maps with impressive speed, and the DNX719VHD uses NAVTEQ's traffic info to ensure that you've got up-to-the-minute data at your command. The receiver provides automatic rerouting around congestion and road closures in major metro areas. And in areas that aren't covered, it uses historical traffic data to calculate the fastest routes. You'll see realistic representations of interchanges on the big screen, so you'll know exactly what to look for as your next turn approaches. Features like lane guidance and junction view help keep you on the right path during tricky maneuvers in unfamiliar territory.
Apps connectivity for iPhone®, Android™, and BlackBerry®
With the addition of Kenwood's audio/video cable (not included), you can connect your iPhone to the DNX719VHD and control your Pandora® Internet Radio stations from the receiver's touchscreen, with stations and ratings right at your fingertips. You also get control over your iPhone's Aha Radio app.
Android or BlackBerry users are covered, too. You can enjoy Pandora control through the receiver's Bluetooth features. The DNX719VHD supports the Serial Port Profile (SPP), which means you can use the receiver's interface to control Pandora when your compatible Android or BlackBerry device is linked up.
Bluetooth by Parrot for convenience and safety
If your VW doesn't have factory Bluetooth, the DNX719VHD features Bluetooth connectivity by Parrot, a leader in wireless technology. You can make and take calls without having to touch your compatible phone, so you can keep your hands on the wheel. You'll hear your caller over the car's speakers, while the built-in microphone picks up your voice. You can also stream music from your compatible mobile device to the Kenwood receiver.
You can watch DVDs on the 6.95" screen while parked, and this receiver will work with your VW factory rear seat entertainment system. You can also use the rear audio/video output to add rear seat screens — then use the dual zone feature to let your passengers watch movies in back while you listen to music up front.
Expand your system
You can hook up a satellite radio tuner (not included) to the receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides. You can also connect a rear-view camera, so you can see what's behind you as you back out of a tight parking space. If you're looking to add amps and subs, you can take advantage of three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs available, including a dedicated subwoofer output with low-pass filter and level control.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod or iPhone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/navigation receiver with 6.95" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- custom-fit receiver designed for select 2006-up Volkswagens
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (with Serial Port Profile)
- Pandora control for iPhone (cable required), Android, and BlackBerry
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- iPod control: Kenwood cable required for full access to audio/video content
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 6 million points of interest
- free NAVTEQ traffic reports in metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech directions
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 7-band EQ with digital time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- dual-zone output
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DNX719VHD
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver with built-in 6.95" monitor (15A fuse installed in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive magnetic base
- Microphone with integrated bracketed (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood DNX719VHD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DNX719VHD
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (re|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Volkswagen Compatible: The Kenwood DNX719VHD in-dash navigation receiver is custom-designed to fit select 2006-2012 Volkswagen vehicles. No additional housing kit will be required, but you still will need an OEM integration harness. As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle and which specific installation accessories you will need to complete your installation.
6.95" Touchscreen Display (w/ Flick Scrolling): The Kenwood DNX719VHD features a fixed 6.95" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. You can scroll screen lists by simply flicking the screen up/down, or scroll screen pages by simply flicking the screen right/left.
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal)
- Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Background Images: You can download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Custom Top Menu: The Top Menu screen (main menu) features two rows of source & settings icons. The top row has 3 large icons which can be accessed directly, while the bottom row has 12 smaller icons which have to be scrolled through. You can customize the Top Menu by selecting your three favorite source/settings icons as the top 3 icons.
Start Up Time: The Kenwood DNX719VHD has a start up time of approximately 29.5 seconds from Off to the "Warning" screen. Once the "Warning" screen appears, you can tap the "Agree" button on the head unit's touchscreen to go instantly to the Navigation screen or press the "Menu" hard-key to access the Source menu.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language; English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Split Screen AV Control: The DNX719VHD's screen views can be easily toggled from one to another simply be touching the screen or appropriate button. The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the screen into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen and basic playback controls for the source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within 22-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, album artwork, and the navigation on-screen map.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along on either side of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Eject and Kenwood logo remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display and button illumination automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness. You can also manually dim the unit's display and button illumination.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood DNX719VHD against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
Garmin/NAVTEQ Navigation: With built-in Garmin navigation software and NAVTEQ map data (CN North America NT 2012), the Kenwood DNX719VHD features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico - which includes over 6 million Points of Interest. You can follow calculated on-screen routes to your destination using the head unit's built-in navigation software. As you travel, the DNX719VHD's navigation system guides you to your destination with audible & visual guidance.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the DNX719VHD will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be downloaded as required, via microSD memory card. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
Note: The unit's microSD-card slot is located on the front-panel hidden behind a flip-out cover (labeled MicroSD). The microSD-card slot is only used for software and map updates. It cannot be used for playback of media files from an microSD memory card.
GPS Receiver/Antenna: The Kenwood DNX719VHD employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna features a magnetic base and an attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to GPS-ANT input on the back of the head unit. The unit also comes supplied with a self-adhesive magnetic base if you are having trouble finding a flat metal surface to mount the antenna. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the vehicle (on the dash) or outside the vehicle (on the roof or trunk). The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.5625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive magnetic base measure 2.0625" (w) x 2.0625" (d).
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Position Accuracy: <6 meters, typical
Note: The first time you turn on this unit, you must wait while the system acquires satellite signals for the first time. This process could take up to several minutes. Make sure your vehicle is outdoors in an open area away from tall building and trees for fastest acquisition. After the system acquires satellites for the first time, it will acquire satellites quickly each time thereafter.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the DNX719VHD guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrows on the map, and directions at the top of the map. The upper-left corner indicates the distance to your next maneuver, If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions. Your route is marked with a magenta line, while your vehicle is marked by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. You can adjust the following map settings:
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, car, jeep, RV) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-35) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit only offers English voice prompts in a male or female voice.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX719VHD will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Lane Assist with Photo Real Junction View: The Lane Assist function guides you to the appropriate lane you should be in for upcoming junctions and interchanges, while Photo Real Junction View displays a realistic view of upcoming road details facilitating a safer navigation experience.
NAVTEQ Traffic: NAVTEQ Traffic receives traffic information that is broadcast over the FM Radio Data System. The free FM TMC subscription activates automatically after the navigation system acquires satellite signals while receiving traffic signals from the service provider. NAVTEQ Traffic provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including the United States and Canada. If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. Alternatively, in manual mode, the system will add delay time to your trip so you can decide to avoid or continue on your current route. When the unit is receiving traffic information, a traffic icon appears in the upper-left corner of the Map page. The traffic icon changes color to indicate the severity of traffic conditions on your route or on the road you are currently traveling.
|Green||Low severity||Traffic is flowing normally|
|Yellow||Medium severity||Traffic slightly congested|
|Red||High Severity||Traffic is heavily congested or stopped|
|Gray||No data||Traffic data has not updated|
Note: NAVTEQ includes a lifetime service subscription. Because NAVTEQ traffic is subsidized by unobtrusive pop-up advertising there is no subscription fees.
Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
Where To? Screen: The Where To? screen provides several different categories for you to use when searching for addresses, cities, and other locations. The detailed map loaded in the navigation system also contains millions of points of interest to choose from.
|Browse Map||Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.|
|Go Home||Store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.|
|Address||Input your destination address by house number, street, and city.|
|Cities||Allows you to search by city's name.|
|Intersection||Allows you to search where to streets intersect.|
|Points-of-Interest||Allows you to search for over 6-millions points of interest in the following categories: Food, Fuel, Transit, Lodging, Shopping, Bank/ATM, Parking, Entertainment, Recreation, Attractions, Hospitals, Community, or Auto Services. The "Spell Name" feature allows you to enter a point of interest by name.|
|Favorites||You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later.|
|Routes||Allows you to select from previously created (custom) routes.|
|Recently Found||Choose from one of your 50 most recent destinations or waypoints.|
|Phone #||Allows you to search your destination by entering the place's phone number.|
|Coordinates||Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.|
|Extras||You can manually load custom points of interest (POI) databases, available from various companies on the Internet. Some custom POI databases contain alert information for points such as safety cameras and school zones. The navigation system can notify you when you approach one of these points (Proximity Alert). You can download the custom POIs onto a USB mass storage class device.|
Search Modes: The navigation system automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also choose to have the DNX719VHD search for places in a different city, a recent destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your current route.
Multiple Destination Routing (Via Points): You can add intermediate destination points (via points) to your routes as you create it. You can also add points to your route after its been created when you go to edit the route. You can program up to 500 via points for long trips.
Route Preference: Selects the preference for your calculation between Faster Time, Shorter Distance, Less Fuel, or Off Road.
Avoidance Setup: This feature allows you to enter specific areas and roads to avoid in your routes. You can choose to avoid U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic, Ferries, Carpool Lanes, or Unpaved Roads. You can also pick specific roads or areas to avoid.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving. You will need to engage the parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
Turn Pages: The following pages help guide you along the turns of your calculated route.
- Turn-List: When you are navigating a route, the Turn List page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns.
- Next Turn: When you are navigating a route, the Next Turn page shows the turn on the map and the distance and time left before you reach the turn.
Trends: The DNX719VHD has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
Auto Reroute: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions.
Detour: You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX719VHD might not calculate a detour.
Trip Log: The Trip Log creates a bread crumb trail (trip log) of your movement. At any time the entire track log can be displayed on the map. You can also reset the track log whenever you like.
Trip Computer: The trip computer shows current speed, current direction, distance to destination, total distance traveled, average speed (including stopped time), average speed while moving, maximum speed, total trip time, total moving time, and stopped time. You can reset just the maximum speed or reset the entire trip computer at once.
Speed Limit Icon: A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posed speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Report: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX719VHD calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- ecoChallenge Tool: The
ecoChallenge tool helps you maximize your fuel economy by scoring your
driving habits. The higher your overall score for a driving challenge, the
more fuel you could save. You overall score is the average of these 3
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
- Less Fuel Routes: The Less Fuel route is calculated based on speed limit and acceleration data.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Tools: The DNX719VHD offers tools you can use as you travel:
- World Clock: The world clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world. You can also display a map of the world showing which portions are in daylight and which are in darkness.
- Calculator: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
Bluetooth Technology (powered by Parrot): The Kenwood DNX719VHD features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 3.0) powered by Parrot. The Kenwood DNX719VHD's built-in Bluetooth technology promotes safe driving habits by allowing you to have a hands-free conversation while driving, without the need to hold a phone to your ear. Your Bluetooth enabled phone can be kept in your purse, pocket, or glovebox - while you communicate through the Kenwood navigation-multimedia receiver.
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. The DNX719VHD is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile), SYNC (Synchronization Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
- Pandora Control (via Android or BlackBerry): SPP (Serial Port Profile)
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DNX719VHD. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone must be paired with the DNX719VHD before hands-free operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Kenwood head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
External Microphone: The Kenwood DNX719VHD includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth). This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the DNX719VHD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-99 seconds. The DNX719VHD also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX719VHD, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to directly dial a number.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DNX719VHD. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can sort your Phonebook alphabetically (A-Z) by the contact's name.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
- POI Dialing: From the navigation unit's POI search menu, you can select on a specific point-of-interest, and if it includes a phone #, you can dial the number simply by pressing the "Call" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
Note: While your vehicle is moving, some Bluetooth hands-free communication functions are disable for safety reasons. The keys associated with the disabled functions become ineffective if touched. To access the function, the vehicle must be in Park with the parking brake engaged.
SMS (Short Message Service): You can wirelessly download an SMS arrived at your cell-phone so that it can be read on the Bluetooth connected Kenwood head unit. Up to 149 already read and unread short messages can be downloaded. You can reply to a SMS by using the head unit's touchscreen to enter alphanumeric text. There is a limited amount of text that can be downloaded or entered. Your cell-phone must support SMS via Bluetooth for this feature to function. Do not read incoming SMS or reply to SMS while driving.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood DNX719VHD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DNX719VHD will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DNX719VHD also supports audio streaming of music apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker), but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Note: The iPhone 5 only offers Bluetooth audio streaming without control or metadata display.
Bluetooth Detailed Settings: The DNX719VHD offers the following Bluetooth Detailed Settings, so you can configure the unit to suit your needs.
- Call Beep: You can choose to output a beep from your vehicle's speaker's when a call comes in, or you can turn this function off.
- Speaker Output: You can select whether the call beep/caller's voice and streaming audio is heard through only the front speakers or all speakers.
- Mic Level: Adjusts the volume of the external microphone.
- NR Level: Reduces the noises generated by the surrounding environment without changing the mic volume.
- EC Level: Adjusts the level of echo cancellation.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DNX719VHD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R/RW, DTS-CD, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video files recorded on to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Port: The Kenwood DNX719VHD features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 39" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DNX719VHD also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DNX719VHD supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1kHz
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
|Photo||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Dolby Digital/DTS: The DNX719VHD supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 DVD discs and will convert multi-channel Dolby Digital sources to 2-channel.
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc.
Playback Screen: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Zoom: The DNX719VHD features a 3 level zoom when playing back video and still images.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX719VHD to search only HD Radio stations.
- Tuner Presets: The DNX719VHD's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood DNX719VHD offers two preset modes. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the navigation receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Direct Access Tuning: You can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the include wireless remote control.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog).
- Station Text + Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The DNX69900HD also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio Control: The Kenwood DNX719VHD lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone, Android smartphone, or BlackBerry. While providing control over the Pandora music service, the DNX719VHD also displays Artist name, Album Art, and Song title. You can select Pandora stations from your station list; you can sort the station list by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also skip song tracks within a station. In addition, you can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists.
- Pandora App for iPhone: The Kenwood DNX719VHD lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed to your connected Apple iPhone, via the Kenwood KCA-iP202 USB/iPod connector cable (sold separately). To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from the Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Pandora via Android or BlackBerry: The Kenwood DNX719VHD also lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android or BlackBerry smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market or the BlackBerry App World. Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must also be Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP/SPP certified and will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Aha Radio App: The Kenwood navigation receiver offers compatibility with the free Aha Radio app for iPhone and Android smartphone. Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Kenwood's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily.
- Aha Radio for iPhone: The Kenwood DNX719VHD provides complete access to your Aha Radio account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 4.3 or later) with the latest version of the free Aha Radio app from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Aha Radio for Android: The DNX719VHD also lets you playback and control Aha Radio streamed from your Android smartphone (2.2+), via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Aha Radio from the Kenwood head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the free Aha Radio App from the Google Play store. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need an Aha Radio account. Access to the Aha Radio will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood DNX719VHD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the " SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live content
- GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast
- Song/Artist Alert notifies when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station
- iTunes Tagging lets you 'tag' songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB), so the next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes you will be able to preview your selections, purchase songs, and download them directly from iTunes
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Kenwood DNX719VHD's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and rear-panel 3.5mm AV-IN2 input allow you to connect your Apple iPod/iPhone using the Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable (113KCIP202, sold separately). If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; you will also need the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately) in order to make connection with the Kenwood iPod cable. The unit's USB port handles the control, metadata display, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. You can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display, while your iPod/iPhone charges. The 3.5mm AV input handles audio and video transfer from your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DNX719VHD. By using the Auxiliary input, the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod/iPhone. The unit's rear-panel AV-IN2 input must be set to "iPod" in order to playback audio/video from your connected iPod/iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
Note: The DNX719VHD does not support the standard iPod/USB dock cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone.
iPod Control: You can choose to control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit, from the iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen, or from select apps streamed to your iPhone.
- Head Unit Control Mode: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories alphabetically (A-Z) using the head unit's touchscreen slider function. You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- iPod/App Control Mode: The iPod/App control mode allows you to control stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The iPod/App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Kenwood head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can even watch video on the Kenwood Navigation receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+). The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include - Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Kenwood DNX719VHD will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood multimedia head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. The unit will also display Album Art. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone in iPod/App Control Mode, the DNX719VHD will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display 'iPhone App Mode + Parking Off').
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DNX719VHD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features when used with the required Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable (as of 9/26/2012):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
| clickwheel |
- *The iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), and iPhone 5 will require both the Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DNX719VHD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DNX719VHD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX719VHD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The DNX719VHD features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The DNX719VHD features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from 'Through' (off), 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood DNX719VHD offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 50, 60, 80, Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz, or 'Through' (off).
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-50 to +10) from the navigation receiver.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the DNX719VHD according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
Preset EQ: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Flat, and User.
EQ Pro: The DNX719VHD features independent Bass, Treble, and Midrange control when the Preset EQ is in User mode. EQ Pro allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.
|Center Frequency||Q-Factor||Bass Extension||Level|
|Bass||40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz||1.00, 1.25, 1.50, or 2.00||On/Off||-8 to +8|
|Midrange||0.5k, 1.0k, 1.5k, or 2.0k Hz||1.00 or 2.00||N/A|
|Treble||10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, or 17.5k Hz||N/A||N/A|
Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes. There are 3 levels (LV1, LV2, or Off).
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, AM/FM, AV-IN1/2, USB, iPod, Bluetooth Audio, and Pandora).
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Key Beep: The in-dash multimedia head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual A/V Inputs: The unit features two rear-panel 3.5mm AV inputs for connecting external A/V sources. The optional Kenwood AV cable (113CAC3AV, sold separately) provides composite video/stereo RCA audio inputs. You can label each AV Input.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a set of stereo RCA jacks and a composite video jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, Video, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor. You cannot select iPod as the A/V Output source when you select Pandora as a main source in dual zone function.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-210 (113CMOS210, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (in 22-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. You can manually set the touchscreen to display both the navigation map and back-up camera at the same time, when backing up. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood multimedia head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
14 questions already asked