About the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120
Enjoy trusted guidance and plenty of entertainment choices with the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 navigation receiver. Garmin, a trusted name in GPS, provides the navigation data, with turn-by-turn voice directions and onscreen map guidance. You'll find built-in maps of Canada, the United States, and Puerto Rico, plus plenty of convenient points of interest. Text-to-speech voice prompts allow you to keep your eyes on the road as the receiver announces actual street names.
Entertainment options for your drive
Add the KCA-iP300V cable to view videos and pictures from your iPod on the screen. For more choices, you'll find a second USB input for thumb drives and portable hard drives, plus two audio/video inputs that make it easy to add a camcorder, gaming console, or other video sources.
Powerful sound controls
The DNX8120 offers the sound controls you expect in an Excelon receiver. The 13-band equalizer will have you playing sound man until you get the perfect balance for your listening taste. Kenwood's Sound Management System allows you to make sonic adjustments for vehicle and speaker size, and boasts digital time alignment that'll create a perfect stereo "sweet spot." Use the high-pass filters for the front and rear speakers and the low-pass filter for the subwoofer to tune your system for optimal performance.
Kenwood built a Bluetooth® receiver into the DNX8120, so you'll be able to make and receive calls from your compatible phone through your stereo system. You can concentrate on your driving without fumbling for your phone when you take a call. You can also stream music from a Bluetooth enabled phone or portable.
Movies in the backseat
Connect an optional rear-seat monitor, and you'll be able to send movies to backseat passengers while you enjoy music up front. Add a steering wheel control adapter, and you'll be able to control the DNX8120 with the factory audio controls on your steering wheel.
Add Kenwood's GXM30 XM Smart Antenna and subscribe to XM's NavTraffic service for weather info and regularly updated traffic reports on accidents and road closings in select cities. Or, you can also choose Garmin's GTM 12 traffic information receiver to warn you of impending traffic incidents, like traffic jams, construction, and emergencies in major metropolitan areas.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- in-dash DVD/CD player with internal amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels) and 6.95" touchscreen
- built-in memory for navigation with maps of Canada, USA, and Puerto Rico
- over 6 million points of interest, text-to-speech voice prompts
- optional Garmin FM traffic receiver
- XM Traffic/Weather ready for live traffic and weather data, with optional XM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth receiver
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- wireless remote
- plays DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, DTS-CD, and VCD discs.
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files on CD or DVD
- plays JPEG, MPEG, and DivX files
- built-in 5.1 decoding
- dual-zone controls
- 24-bit D/A converter
- 13-band EQ with six preset tone curves
- Sound Management System (S.M.S.) with controls for vehicle size, speaker sizes, digital time alignment, and high- and low-pass filters
- compatible with Kenwood iPod adapter, HD Radio tuner, and satellite radio
- inputs: two USB inputs, SD card slot (for map updates only), two rear A/V inputs, auxiliary minijack input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 7-channel preamp outputs (2 front, 2 rear, 2 subwoofer, center), A/V output
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN DVD/Navigation receiver with built-in 6.95" monitor
- Trim ring
- Plastic escutcheon
- Wiring harness
- Preamp-output harness
- AV In/Out harness
- Magnetic base GPS antenna with attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector
- Self-adhesive magnetic plate
- RC-DV330 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Bluetooth microphone with attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector
- 43" A/V mini-cable with a female 3.5mm sterero audio jack and video jack on one end and a male 3.5mm stereo audio jack and video jack on other end
- Relay harness
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Self-adhesive strips
- Plastic cable clip
- Instruction manual (English)
- Instruction manual (Spanish)
- Instruction manual (French)
- GPS Navigation Manual (English)
- GPS Navigation Manual (Spanish/French)
- Installation manual (English/Spanish/Frech)
- Warranty card
- "About SMS" note
- Software License Agreement
- "About the front panel" note (attached to chassis)
Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120
Features & specs
|USB Input||Rear x 2|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The Kenwood eXcelon DNX8120 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. Unlike many in-dash monitors, there is no hideaway box; all the inputs and outputs are included within the unit's chassis. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Motorized Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood eXcelon DNX8120 features a motorized 6.95" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 480 x 234 with 336,960 total pixels (480H x 234V x RGB). This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. It also has a 7-step adjustable viewing angle, including a reversible-tilt angle. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Selectable Screen Viewing Modes: You can choose from the following screen modes for DVD, Video, iPod, USB and Rear-camera playback.
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Just: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, and black level to suit your viewing needs.
Custom Backgrounds: You can download JPEG still images for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the unit's touch-screen controls, the DNX8120 features often used hard-keyed controls along the bottom of the LCD screen's frame for added convenience.
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q-EX and bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (DVD, CD, Aux, FM, AM).
Dual Zone Capability: The unit's dual zone control allows you to independently set the source for the front and rear channels. You can set the front channels to Tuner, Sirius, XM, DVD, Video, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, , Navigation or Standby. You can set the rear channels to DVD, Video, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness.
Navigation: With built-in Garmin navigation technology and NAVTEQ mapping software, the Kenwood DNX8120 features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico which includes over 6 million Points of Interest. You can follow calculated on-screen routes to your destination using the headunit's built-in navigation software. As you travel, the DNX8120's navigation system guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrows, and directions along the top of the map. If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. Your route is marked with a highlighted line and an arrow, while your destination is marked with a checkered flag.
SiRF Star III: The SiRF Star III GPS chipset is so sensitive that it's forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options.
GPS Antenna: The DNX8120 comes supplied with a GPS antenna that features a magnetic base and an attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to GPS-ANT input on the back of the headunit. The unit also comes supplied with a self-adhesive magnetic base if you are having trouble finding a flat metal surface to mount the antenna.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. The DNX8120 also features pre-recorded voices, which have a limited vocabulary and do not speak names of locations or streets. Voice prompts are available in English, Spanish or French.
Map Detail: The DNX8120 allows you to adjust the amount of detail shown on the map. Displaying more detail cause the map to redraw your route slower. You can also choose to adjust the other following map settings.
- Orientation: Changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two.
- Auto Zoom: Disables or enables automatic zooming on the map for optimal viewing; you can also specify a maximum Auto Zoom distance from 120 feet to 300 miles.
- Route Color: Choose the color of the route line (Red, Green, Magenta, Blue, or Orange).
- Dim Roads: Dims the roads that are not on your route; you can customize this setting to Never or While Driving.
- Map Data Fields: Customizes the width and contents of the data fields displayed on the map page; you can choose from Normal, None, Thin or Wide.
- Text Size: Adjusts the display size of the text on the Map from none, Small, Medium or Large.
- Detail Maps: enables and disables the preloaded detailed maps.
- Vehicle Select: choose between an arrow or car icon to represent yourself on the unit's on-screen map
- POI Filter: you can choose to filter out certain points-of-interests from your GPS searches
Navigation Settings: The DNX8120 features the following Navigation Settings to help calculate your route.
- Vehicle: Specifies what vehicle you are driving; you can choose a Car, Truck, Bus, Emergency, Taxi or Delivery.
- Preference: Selects the preference for your calculation between Faster Time, Shorter Distance or Off Road.
- Ask Preference: Choose to have the navigation system ask for your route preference each time it calculates a route.
- Next Turn Pop-Up: Selects to active the Next Turn pop-up window as On, Off or Auto.
- Off-Route Recalculation: Sets the way the navigation system responds when taken off the main route; you can silence the off-route recalculating or have the unit voice prompt you.
- Continuous Auto Routing: This feature allows the navigation system to continually search for a better route to your destination. Continuous Auto Routing may be useful if a traffic accident occurs or there are time-restricted turns on the current route.
- Avoidance Setup: This feature allows you to enter specific areas and roads to avoid in your routes. You can choose to avoid Major Roads, Medium Roads, Minor Roads, Traffic, Unpaved Roads, U-Turns, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, or Ferries. You can also enter in Custom Avoids which allows you select specific Roads or Areas to avoid.
Find Locations and Routes: The unit's "Where To?" menu screen offers the following features to help you find your destination.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city.
- Food, Hotel...: Allows you to search for points of interest in the following categories: Food and Drink, Lodging, Fuel, ATM/Bank, Shopping, Attractions, Recreation, Entertainments, Transportation, Hospital, Auto Services, Community, Other or Search All. The "Spell Name" feature allows you to enter a point of interest by name. When searching for a point of interest, you can choose one of the following proximity settings: Near Here, Near Other City or Near Recent Finds
- Streets and Cities: Allows you to search for a city, street, intersection or exit.
- My Locations: Store a destination as a Favorite in advance, then easily select it as your new destination or insert it as point along your route.
- Browse Map: Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.
- Recent Finds: Choose from one of your 50 most recent destinations or waypoints.
- Go Home: Store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location
Search Modes: You can search for locations in a different areas, such as a different city, near your destination or near your current route. You can choose to the following search modes - Near Here, Near Other City, Near Current Route, Near Current Road, Near Destination, and Near Recent Finds.
Turn-List: The unit's Turn List displays a list of turn-by-turn instructions of your entire route as well a arrival information.
Multiple Destination Routing: You can add intermediate destination points to your routes as you create it. You can also add points to your route after its been created when you go to edit the route.
Trip Computer: The trip computer shows current speed, current direction, distance to destination, total distance traveled, average speed (including stopped time), average speed while moving, maximum speed, total trip time, total moving time, and stopped time. You can reset just the maximum speed or reset the entire trip computer at once.
Track Log: The track log creates a bread crumb trail (track log) of your movement. At any time the entire track log can be displayed on the map. You can also reset the track log whenever you like.
Mileage Log: There are four different mileage logs, each can be named, individually activated/deactivated, and reset at any time.
Custom POIs (Points of Interest): You can manually load custom points of interest (POI) databases, available from various companies on the Internet. Some custom POI databases contain alert information for points such as safety cameras and school zones. The navigation system can notify you when you approach one of these points (Proximity Alert). You can download the custom POIs onto an SD-card which can then be loaded into the unit's front-panel SD-card slot.
Traffic Information: Using an optional FM Traffic Receiver (113GTM10, sold separately), the navigation system can receive, use and display traffic information. When a traffic message is received, you can see the event on the map and change your route to avoid the traffic incident. TMC data is available in a fast-growing number of cities throughout North America and gives prompt, accurate notification of accidents, road construction, police, or emergency action, etc. - so you can visually monitor traffic flow and, if necessary, avoid traffic tie-ups. The on-screen map page of the DNX8120 displays a "diamond icon" when there is a traffic event of medium severity or high severity on your current route or on the road you are driving. If you press this icon, the DNX8120 will create a detour route for you (if applicable) so you can avoid the traffic event. The optional FM Traffic Receiver plugs into the unit's rear panel mini-USB input.
Note: Traffic services are available only in select cities where coverage exists. A subscription may be required to enable traffic capability.
XM Weather/NavTraffic Compatible: The DNX8120 is compatible with Kenwood's GXM30 XM Smart Antenna (sold separately) which delivers XM Satellite Radio, NavTraffic and NavWeather to the DNX8120 navigation unit. Subscriptions to XM Satellite Radio, XM NavTraffic, and NavWeather are required. NavWeather provides you with your locations current weather conditions, weather bulletins, road conditions, sky conditions and wind advisories. Powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, XM is the nation's first satellite-based data traffic information service that enables a vehicle's on-board GPS navigation system to display current traffic and weather information for select metropolitan areas, including the driver's chosen route. XM NavTraffic can display the following information:
- Real-time traffic flow information (including the actual traffic speed data in some cases)
- Unscheduled traffic incident data (such as accidents, disabled vehicles, and weather-related issues)
- Scheduled traffic incident data (such as road construction and road closures)
Note: Because the reporting of information on traffic accidents, disabled vehicles, etc. relies on human interaction, the time span from when an incident occurs and when is displayed by XM NavTraffic will vary.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving.
Multi-Language Display: The DNX8120's on-screen navigation menu supports 16 different languages to choose from, including - English, Spanish, French and German.
Software And Map Data Updates: You can purchase updated map SD-cards and download operational firmware updates from Garmin's web site. Check http://www.garmin.com/Kenwood to see if a firmware update or an SD-card with a newer map version is available. Updated firmware data will need to be downloaded onto a blank SD-card from your PC and then inserted into the Kenwood navigation unit to be downloaded. SD-cards with newer map versions can simply be purchased from Garmin's website and then loaded into the DNX8120 for download.
Note: The unit's SD-card slot is located behind the slide-down front-panel. You must hold down the eject button for several seconds to expose the SD-card slot.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DNX8120 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, DVD-Audio, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, DTS-CD, and VCD discs.
AAC-LC/MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play AAC-LC (.M4a), MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD+/-R/W discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders per disc, and 255 files per folder. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
JPEG/MPEG/DivX Playback: In addition to MP3/WMA/AAC discs, this unit can play discs with JPEG still image files or MPEG video files. The unit supports MPEG1 and MPEG2 NTSC video formats. This unit also supports DivX playback.
CD Read Setting: If there is a problem with the CD player reading a disc with a special format, you can switch to a second CD Read setting which "forces" the player to read the disc. CD Read setting 1 is for normal CDs and MP3/WMA discs, while CD Read setting 2 cannot read MP3/WMA/AAC discs or VCD.
DVD Display Setup: You can setup the monitor to display a 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan aspect ratio when viewing a DVD disc.
Control Screens: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. You can touch the left one-third of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right one-third of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD Disc Menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center briefly displays the information screen. For VCD playback, the top center is the Zoom control area.
Direct Search: By entering its number with the supplied remote, you can directly access title, chapter, time, track, channel, or frequency.
Video Display Adjustments: During playback of a video or still image you can reverse the picture horizontally and rotate the picture clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Zoom: The DNX8120 features a four level zoom when playing back video and still images. You can select from 4x, 3x, 2x, or Off.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
CR-2 Tuner: The DNX8120 uses Kenwood's CR-2 tuner provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner features the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC) for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency. RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations. Up to 30 AM and FM stations can be named. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length. The Preset Select menu will display the six presets in each band either by name or frequency.
24-Bit D-A Converter: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs and CDs, the DNX8120 is equipped with a 24-bit digital-to-analog converter.
Sound Management System (S.M.S.): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Management System to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, distances and x-over points. The S.M.S. settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van , Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van Long, or Off
- Speaker Size:
- Center: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 5", 4", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM or None
- Front: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Tweeter: Select either None or Use
- Rear: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Subwoofer: Select from 10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8"
- Channel Level: You can set the channel level for the Center, Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear and Subwoofer speakers individually from -10 to +10dB.
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 20.3 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers. You can set the Center speaker from 0.00 to 11.3 feet.
- Front High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal or Reverse
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings for the front and back speakers independently, using the 13-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- System Q Presets: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, or User.
- Equalizer Settings:
- Frequency Band: Individual 13-Band frequency adjustment for Front, Rear and Center using the following frequencies - 62.5Hz, 100,Hz, 160Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, and 16kHz
- Levels: Independent front, rear and center EQ level adjustment of each frequency between -9dB to +9dB
SRS WOW HD: The DNX8120 is equipped with SRS WOW HD, a technology developed by SRS (Sound Retrieval Systems) Labs, which restores the loss that occurs to compressed audio delivered over the Internet and broadcast media, and reduces the hollow-sounding effects caused by smaller speakers. SRS WOW HD incorporates other SRS technologies such as TruBass, Focus, and SRS 3D for improving the sound of CDs and radio. You can select a WOW HD effect level (Low, Mid, High), each with a specific value for TruBass, Focus, and SRS 3D. You can also set your own values and store them under the WOW User memory.
- TruBass: adjusts the vertical position of the speaker and sound image by virtual adjustment
- Focus: assists the playback of the super bass sound
- SRS 3D: makes a natural 3D sound field (you cannot se SRS 3D in tuner source)
Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro-Logic II: The DNX8120 supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS DVD discs via the unit's 5.1ch preamp outputs (Front, Rear, Center, and Sub). The headunit also supports Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music, Matrix, Bypass, Bypass+Center) for non-digital surround formatted discs. During Dolby Pro Logic II you can make the following adjustments.
- Dimension: sets the surround position by adjusting the front and rear volume balance
- Center Width: sets the vocal image position by adjusting the right and left vocal volume level
- Panorama: assigns front left and right signals to surround channels for wider sound.
Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Bass Extension: This feature enhances the bass frequencies similar to a Bass Boost function.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
Setup Memory: Audio Setup and AV Interface settings can be memorized and recalled at any time. When the settings are cleared when the unit is disconnected from the battery, they can be restored
Built-In Bluetooth: The unit features built-in Bluetooth technology. Using the DNX8120's controls and supplied external microphone, you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit as well as listen to audio files stored on a Bluetooth enabled audio player through your car audio system. You can make calls from your cell-phone using the DNX8120 by entering a phone number from the headunit's on-screen keypad, registering up to six phone number presets, from your downloaded Phonebook information or from an outgoing/incoming call list. This unit all supports Voice Recognition if your mobile-phone is Voice Recognition compatible. The headunit can support up to 35 voices and also supports Key Word Voice Recognition to select phone number category. In addition, the unit features SMS (Short Message Service) so you can send a small text message from your mobile phone using the DNX8120. When your cell-phone is called, the DNX8120 is paused and muted automatically. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones but only one compatible Bluetooth cell phone can be connected. Visit http://www.kenwood.com/bt/information/ for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Dual USB Ports: The Kenwood DNX8120 features two rear panel 2.0 USB type-A port that are attached to the chassis with separate 36" cords to allow for various placement options during installation. The USB ports enable playback of MP3, WMA, and ACC files as well as JPEG files from connected portable USB mass-storage players, USB thumb drives and portable digital audio players. The USB ports are compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device's rechargeable battery will recharged while it's connected to either USB port and the DNX8120 is turned on.
iPod High Speed Connection: The USB port labeled iPod and the rear panel 3.5mm A/V AUX inputs are compatible with iPod devices when used with the optional KCA-iP300V adapter (part # 113IP300V, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod data communications of 12MB/bps via the optional KCA-iP300V (3-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses three connectors that plug into the back of the DNX8120. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port labeled iPod and handles the control and charging of your iPod, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the headunit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display. The two 3.5mm miniplug connectors of the cable plug into the unit's A/V 3.5mm inputs and transfer the music and video from your iPod to your Kenwood DVD/CD player. By using the Auxiliary input the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod. The controls of the DNX8120 are seamless when used with the optional KCA-iP300V and include metadata browsing and playback of DRM contents, as well as the ability to choose any iPod playback mode to suit your listening application. The KCA-iP300V is compatible with Fifth Generation iPods (iPod with video), iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation) and iPhone/iPhone3G. Be sure to download the latest version software for iPod from Apple's website before connecting this cable to your compatible Kenwood multimedia headunit.
Note: Currently this interface does not support video playback for the iPod touch or iPhone but will support audio from the iPod touch and iPhone.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio tuner to this receiver:
- XM: This unit supports the Audivox CNP-2000 MiniTuner via the optional Kenwood KCA-XM100V interface box which includes a vehicle dock and antenna. XM Satellite Radio programming offers 170 digital radio channels including 69 channels of commercial free music, plus news, sports, talk, comedy, and other entertainment programming from coast to coast. XM also offers instant traffic and weather alerts for 21 major US cities, as well as live sports broadcasts from Major League Baseball, NHL, the PGA tour, Indy car racing and several major college conferences. .
- Sirius: The unit is compatible with the Sirius SC-C1 SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner via the optional Kenwood CA-SR20V Sirius adapter cable. SIRIUS Satellite Radio features more than 120 streams of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 streams of commercial-free, digital-quality music, and news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via its rear-panel auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: The DNX8120 is HD Radio ready. With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item #113KTCHR20), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
Bass Management System (B.M.S.): This unit is equipped with an interface (pink/black wire in the wiring harness) which controls certain special features of B.M.S.-equipped Kenwood eXcelon amplifiers. This unit, when properly connected, can remotely activate and adjust the amount of bass boost in the amplifier. You can choose between +6dB, +12dB, or +18dB bass boost, or flat (no boost). In addition, you can lower the bass boost center frequency by 20%, switching between "Normal" and "Low".
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The DNX8120 has a "steering remote control" lead attached to the harness. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (item #127SWIJACK), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult "What Fits My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
5.1ch Preamp Output Harness: The Kenwood DNX8120 comes supplied with a 5.1ch preamp-output harness which connects to the back of the chassis of the unit. The preamp-output harness features the following preamp outputs - stereo Front, stereo Rear, stereo Subwoofer and a mono Center.
Audio/Video Harness: The headunit comes with an Audio/Video harness which plugs into the back of the DNX8120. The A/V harness consists of the following connections.
- 2 RCA A/V Inputs: The harness features two audio/video inputs with a set of stereo RCA jacks and a composite video jack. AV-IN1 or AV-IN2 can be named "VIDEO", "DVD", "VCD", "VCR", "GAME", TV or "AUX".
- A/V Output: The harness also features a set of stereo RCA jacks and a composite video jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor. You can choose DVD, iPod, USB or AV-IN as the source for the A/V output.
- Rear View Camera Input: In addition, The harness has an
additional video jack for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as
the Kenwood CCD-2000 (item # 113CCD2000). The video from this input can be set
to display when switched to with the Video Select button, or display the
rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into
Reverse gear. You can also display the video of the rear view camera in a
mirror image, if desired.
Note: The purple/white wire in the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
3.5mm A/V Input: The DNX8120 features a 3.5mm stereo audio input and 3.5mm video input on the rear chassis of the unit for portable MP3/Video players. These terminals are also compatible with your dock connector iPod using the optional KCA-iP300V, sold separately. The headunit comes supplied with a 43" male to female 3.5mm audio/video cable to connect to this input to make connection easier.
USB: The DNX8120 also features two female type-A USB terminals on separate 36" pigtails on the back of the unit for connection of USB devices. One of the USB terminals is also compatible with your dock connector iPod using the optional KCA-iP300V, sold separately.
KAB Port: This proprietary 13-pin port allows you to connect an optional Satellite Radio tuner to the DNX8120.
GPS Antenna: Proprietary port for connecting supplied GPS antenna.
TV Tuner Input: The DNX8120 includes a 20-pin input for the optional Kenwood KTC-V300N TV tuner.
Microphone Input: The unit features a 3.5mm microphone input for connection of the supplied Bluetooth microphone.
Relay Port: Using the supplied Relay harness the DNX8120 can control the external power of a connected 12-volt device (requires a commercially available relay unit).
SD-Card Slot: An SD-card slot is located behind the unit's slide-down front-panel which allows you to update mapping software via mapping SD-cards purchased from Garmin.