About the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S
Meet Kenwood's flagship navigation receiver
Meet Kenwood's flagship navigation receiver
The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S navigation receiver does way more than just meet the strict criteria for Kenwood's prestigious "Excelon" badge — high-voltage preamp outputs, audiophile-quality audio components, and a 2-year warranty. It also delivers user-friendly control with a 7" multi-touch display, amazing smartphone integration, and accurate GPS guidance from the experts at Garmin. With the DNX994S in your dash, you'll have a wealth of options for info and entertainment right at your fingertips.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto: your phone is the key
This Kenwood's 6.95" capacitive touchscreen's a great way to explore your sources and other important info — you can even customize the source button locations for easier access. You'll also have fingertip or voice control of your apps, whether you're using them through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. You can command select music apps (like Pandora and Spotify) through the receiver via a wireless Bluetooth connection for most Android devices.
The Kenwood KCA-IP103 cable offers a durable and car-ready Lightning-to-USB connection for your iPhone. The Scosche HDEZ10 Rugged StrikeLine cable provides a solid USB connection for most Android devices.
Two phones? No hassle
If you're driving with a passenger, the DNX994S can pair with up to two phones at once. You'll be able to designate one phone as the priority but be able to switch between the two with ease, as well as have access to both phonebooks.
Drive smarter with Garmin leading the way
The DNX994S boasts Garmin maps of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. You'll also get reliable routing with spoken street names at turns, lane assistance, and realistic views of complicated intersections. Kenwood's interface also provides more opportunities for split-screen control, so you can still follow the maps as the stereo shows you what's playing or who's calling.
Get around congestion with INRIX traffic reports
You'll get a free 2-year subscription to INRIX traffic service, which provides quick updates on congestion along your route. You'll need to have your smartphone with the app on it connected to the receiver to take advantage of these traffic updates. INRIX updates require an in-app purchase after the 2-year subscription ends.
HD Radio elevates your listening pleasure
The DNX994S also features an HD Radio™ tuner. You'll enjoy much-improved AM/FM sound quality when you're tuned into a local participating station, and there's no subscription required — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
Files, discs, and more
This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files, while an A/V input offers connection for more audio/video sources. A pair of detachable USB inputs let you add audio from an iPod or flash drive, including playback of high-res FLAC and WAV files. You also get an SD card slot for playing digital music files and making map updates.
Discover the joy of satellite radio
Why struggle with stations fading away as you travel? You can hook up a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included) to this receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides — and your favorite stations are always there. The DNX994S works with TuneMix and SportsFlash, which give you even more customizable options for listening the way you want.
Hear the difference
Kenwood equipped this Excelon receiver with custom-made or carefully curated sonic components— including three sets of gold-plated 5-volt preamp outputs — to deliver superb audio performance. Kenwood's Drive EQ+ technology boosts certain frequencies that are easily masked by wind and tires rolling on asphalt. It also enhances your music's bottom end as your speed increases, so you can really feel those tunes as you drive. You can also craft the sound to your ears' content with a 13-band equalizer and other soundshaping tools at your disposal.
Add up to two cameras
This Kenwood is capable of connecting two different cameras, so you can see more when you're getting in and out of tight spots. If you've got a pair of rear-view cameras, you can reverse the image of the one up front to get a more realistic picture. The receiver also features a dedicated input for Kenwood's DRV-N520 Drive Recorder so you can capture your travels in high definition.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras — and add some upgrades
The DNX994S offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out expanded functionality on the Kenwood's screen, including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure and temperature monitors. It'll even integrate your stealth K40 radar detector into the stereo's display, so you can see and hear about incoming threats (available soon). With select rear-view cameras, you'll even get parking guide lines that curve with the motion of your steering wheel. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to your Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our articles about Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD player with 6.95" capacitive touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- variable illumination color for keys
- Apple CarPlay compatibile
- Android Auto compatible
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- Kenwood KCA-IP202 cable required for full access to audio/video content from older Apple devices
- Siri Eyes Free control with select iPhones
- built-in Android control
- Pandora and Spotify app control via Bluetooth connection
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- maps of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 6 million points of interest
- optional traffic reports available through INRIX smartphone app 2-year subscription included with purchase (smartphone required)
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB memory devices, and SD cards (see Details for full capabilities)
- Drive EQ boosts specific frequencies to overcome road noise
- 13-band EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment, space enhancer, sound realizer, sound elevation, bass boost, and loudness
- dual-zone A/V output
- supports rear-view camera adjustable parking lines (optional camera required)
- audiophile-quality sonic circuitry including gold-plated preouts
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: 2 rear detachable USB inputs; SD card slot; rear A/V input; two camera inputs; Kenwood DRV-N520 Drive Recorder input
- outputs: rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ motorized 6.95" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Two 39" USB extension cables
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive pad
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Kenwood Excelon DNX994S reviews
Nice radio, installation was easy, has great sound and features
0 of 0 found this helpful
Very happy with my purchase. The installation of the unit went smoothly. Took advantage of the service to have the cable harness pre-connected.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I am very happy with my decision to purchase the Kenwood DNX994S from Crutchfield. Crutchfield was able to provide me with everything I needed to install the radio in my 2014 Jeep Wrangler. There was definitely a night and day difference in audio quality from the stock head unit which was the upgraded sound system offered from Jeep. The image display and graphics are exactly what I was looking for. The 13 band EQ and sound effects have brought my stock speakers to life. I am hearing instruments in songs that I have never noticed before. I gave 4 out of 5 due to some android auto issues like when I use my apple music app from my android phone the music will have brief pauses in the music. It could be my phone as well. I am still learning how to use Android Auto, it could be operator error. Apple Car play works well with my work I phone. I love the hands free capabilities of both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. All I have to do is hit the voice button on my steering wheel and I can ask for directions, weather, or songs, from AA or Siri both work . Maestro interlink is definitely worth the extra money for the harness and module. I bought an OBD2 splitter to run my superchips traildash and Maestro together. Unfortunately maestro will not work while I have the traildash plugged in. No big deal becasue my traildash provides a lot of gauge info already. The interlinke still works and my tire pressure still show up on the Kenwood. Overall I am very happy with my purchase.
Pros: Audio quality Appearance Hands Free Operation Plenty of expansion possibilities
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great process throughout! Thx
0 of 0 found this helpful
Totally digging the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S as the perfect replacement to my gen5 Camaro factory radio! Has all the features and quality sound I had on my wish list!
Pros: Amazing sound and packed with features!
Cons: none I could find
0 of 0 found this helpful
Purchased this after I had purchased a Boss Audio Nav system. Returned it and then purchased this DNX994S. Very pleased. The screen adjustment setting for glare and viewing is great. The screen adjusts to various angles for your best view and least amount of glare. The sound and quality is great. Easy install, because I took advantage of the harness service Crutchfield offers for a very modest price. It is well worth it. Being color blind, matching and soldering wires was not for me. This service made my unit pretty much, plug and play and saved hours on the install process. Customer service is super great, can't say enough about these folks. They actually suggested this model for my needs....they batted a homerun on this. They all deserve ten stars. This was my first experience with Crutchfield, and it was indeed a pleasure. They go to all lengths to make sure your are satisfied...and if not an exchange, or return, is without question...who wouldn't buy from Crutchfield...this is a no brainer. Great product selection and the product performance is super. This unit has everything you could need, and the Garmin navigation in my opinion surpasses anyone else, one big reason for this purchase. I have added front and rear cameras and they work with uncompromising clarity. Another simple plug and play option. To get impressive customer service and a great product, for a fair price...it seems like Christmas all over again. I am a fan for life. Thanks.
Pros: Easy install, great customer service, they basically hold your hand...who does that??? Crutchfield..... Nice unit. Everything you need comes in the box. Kenwood did a good job on this unit.
Cons: The screen is very shiny...Kenwood is noted for that, so you have to tolerate the glare. I live in the desert, so for most, this may not be a problem. You can always get an anti glare screen, however I am adjusting to this. Wish there were screen adjustments for color, contrast, brightness. Something that Kenwood may do in future models. It's tough to find much on the Cons side....this is a quality product.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Bad ass head unit. Even gives the customizability to adjust the factory amplifier gains. It's amazing.
Pros: Everything I needed and more.
Cons: Takes a little tweaking upon installing to make sure the screen can move and open correctly in the bezel.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Replaced the factory head unit on my 2500HD chevy. Bought the wiring kit too and it was super easy install.Great unit!
Pros: easy install, loaded with features
2 of 2 found this helpful
I've had the DMX7705S for about 3 weeks and just couldn't get over the look of the resistive screen. Decided on the DNX994S with a capacitive screen and what a difference! Besides the sharper image and more vivid colors this head unit also adds Garmin Navigation, HD Radio , DVD, SDcard slot. So I was looking for a good spot for the GPS antenna and thought maybe I'll stick it on the head unit inside the dash and test the reception before going through all that routing of the GPS wire and mounting it on the dashboard. Holy smoke within 30 seconds I was getting full satellite bars! Now the reason for 4 stars, since the DNX994S is a 2017 unit the maps are out of date. So I paid to get the 2018 maps , 2019 not available as of March .One other negative is that the Navigation maps are missing some POI's that my 2015 portable Garmin and Google Maps easily found. I need to do some further testing. Audio is amazing, super easy to navigate through the screens and make adjustments. The Kenwood RC-406 remote works great with DNX994S. It's my favorite Kenwood remote, compact, easy to operate and you can pick one up for less than $15.00
Pros: Capacitive Screen , Navigation , Excelon audio,HD Radio , DVD , and simple to operate.
Cons: Garmin maps are missing some POI's . No included remote
5 of 5 found this helpful
After a sizable investment in the stereo and related equipment its unusable. I have contacted service and the assistants was great and I still a stereo that doesn't work. Plays for a few seconds shows false incoming call when there isn't one then is basically a brick in my dash
Pros: Could not tell you, haven't seen it work enough to list any
Cons: Apparently if you want to keep you factory sync it's a real pain
4 of 4 found this helpful
Love the head unit... So many functions
Pros: Looks great, tilting screen, easy connect to phones and ipod
Cons: Still learning how to maximize the function (I am old)
4 of 4 found this helpful
Great customer service and the tech knew exactly what I needed. I have always used kenwood product! Great product
Pros: It's a kenwood
2 of 2 found this helpful
Very efficient website. Easy to use and navigate. Very prompt with notifications. Super quick delivery. Very responsive.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Awesome radio, only had it in a couple days. Love it.
0 of 2 found this helpful
Love the radio and Navigation and backup camera that I added to the set. I used a Boyo camera, which was affordable, but, was anything but simple to install (the 994S does not need the trigger wire hooked up from the Boyo). Kenwood makes a CMOS camera to go with this unit...but, it's only worth $100 max. The rest is paying for the name "Kenwood." The CMOS camera would have saved me a couple hours of install work. Seeing the Kenwood camera list at $350 really makes me question the bottom line price on the 994S. It's a nice unit, but is it too listed at 3.5X fair market value? Possibly. It's a solid unit packed with features and I'm really hoping it stands the test of time. So far I love it, and I think you will too...so long as you shop around and don't overpay.
Pros: Does everything...and sounds amazing.
Cons: The sticker price is over the top...and the matching backup camera is WAY overpriced. The unit should just come with the matching backup camera that probably costs them $25 to make.
4 of 4 found this helpful
I replaced an older Kenwood unit with this one. Installation was pretty easy as everything just fit! The sound is great, the graphics are outstanding. so nice to have Apple CarPlay!
Pros: Everything works as advertised!
Cons: Haven't found any yet.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Had the system installed for over a month. Love everything about it. Can configure it to meet all my requirements. I had issues during install due to unique vehicle considerations. John from Crutchfield helped me sort it out. I will be recommending Crutchfield to others.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Best radio ever!
0 of 0 found this helpful
Very nice deck, I have only had it in a couple of weeks but I am very happy with it so far. I had some trouble with getting the back up camera to work, but cruchfield tech support walked me through it and I was seeing a he rear view clear as day. I will be back for my next purchase
Pros: Great update to a older vehicle
1 of 1 found this helpful
Started out ok, now I am not happy. 1. When on phone, the air conditioner fan stops blowing. Is there a setting for that ? 2. I am forever frustrated with my Android Auto and Galaxy 8plus phone. In prior days, I just plugged in the USB cable and in short time it started AA on both phone and screen. Now, its a hit or miss and mostly miss. Getting AA to start on phone sometimes works, sometimes it says to manually start AA on the screen, but mostly I get ugly errors "no device found", "incompatible device", "no supported device found" etc.... 3. When I somehow get AA working, I have no access to climate controls. I must fully back out of AA and access the stereo just like AA was not running. YES, the AA music still plays and Google Maps continues to function in background, but for fine tuning my climate, this is a major PITB. 4. The "Maestro RR - iDataLink module" is finicky. Sometimes when I hit VOLUME up (on steering wheel), it will change radio station. This is installed in a 2013 Ford Mustang with "shaker system". My phone is a Galaxy 8plus with all Verizon updates as of Aug 7, 2018. I do like the ability to tilt screen as that is the only way to manage glare.
9 of 10 found this helpful
Great purchase fantastic sound & flexibility highly recommend for anyone that can afford the unit I installed this in a 2010 ram 1500 crew cab what s difference
Pros: Fantastic unit highly recommend has all da bells and whistles you need and want
0 of 0 found this helpful
So far I like the radio. It covers all the features I need and don't need. Sound quality is excellent. Really only complaints are the GUI design of sections, especially the HD radio. Also Garmin navigation graphics are so behind in quality. It looks like the same map from 20 years ago. Apple or Google maps is far superior. I really hope that can be upgraded with maps/ firmware updates.
Pros: Quality of build and sound output. Connections available on back.
Cons: GUI for section of HD Radio. Garmin Navigation map quality.
7 of 8 found this helpful
Just ok. Great features if I didn't have the back up camera stay on while driving at times? May be able to fix with an update? Dust magnet as well.!
Pros: Great features and sound quality!
Cons: Back up camera sometimes stays on the screen after putting into drive or park.
7 of 9 found this helpful
Can't get the Bluetooth phone to work correctly
4 of 8 found this helpful
Love it great sound Polk speaker jbl combo had it installed 2015 ram diesel huge improvement from stock
1 of 1 found this helpful
Bought in August of last year, already has dust behind the screen and I mean BEHIND THE SCREEN...can't clean it, can't wait to see what will be behind the screen years to come for a this deck, complete waste of money.
Pros: Not worth mentioning any, see cons.
Cons: Dust Behind the screen makes my OCD unbearable.....Brings this to an automatic one star unit, highly doubt its defective......car is also a garage queen so imagine if this was in a Jeep or any dirt seeing vehicles....
19 of 30 found this helpful
Excellent NAV/Receiver. Installed with no issues. Very comprehensive equalization options, as well as multiple special effects options. One important issue regarding Kenwood units and updating Firmware...If you have an SD card inserted in the SD slot and try to update the unit via USB port, the unit will get stuck in an update loop, and will never update the firmware. Eject the SD card, and the update will take place with no issues. It is also very easy to customize the "splash screen" on Kenwood units.
12 of 12 found this helpful
Love it. Simple install, tons of features. Works seamlessly with iPhone. KENWOOD products have always treated me well.
Pros: Tons of features, works well with iPhone. Easy install.
Cons: None yet.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Kenwood made a huge mistake by eliminating the HDMI input. I suggest the DNX893s before this unit
10 of 12 found this helpful
Great so far but I'm still on a learning curve
3 of 5 found this helpful
The Kenwood Exelon DNX994S is a superbly engineered, highly sophisticated automotive product. The sound quality exceeded my expectations and certainly achieved my highest aspirations! Concert hall performance coupled with leading edge navigation and safe, real-time communication elevates the traveling experience to a whole new pleasurable dimension. The time and energy expended in product research, planning, distributor selection and installation, while grievously long and exacting, was well worth the investment! I found the weakest link in the automotive accessory supply chain is the retail distributor. Team Crutchfield has eliminated the risk of failure through their passion for excellence, product knowledge and commitment to customer satisfaction.
Pros: The Kenwood Exelon is everything it is marketed to be.
Cons: Not really a "Con", but be prepared to invest some quality time in the installation of this product.
10 of 14 found this helpful
works great except for the song list accessibility on my Ipod. It is rather confusing. I love the camera controls (front and back).
2 of 3 found this helpful
Nice unit just not happy that all features do not work.
Pros: Very nice
Cons: If parking brake wire is not hooked up properly certain features on audio set up and screen display do not work.
10 of 13 found this helpful
I installed the DNX994S in my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited because I wanted Nav, and thought the camera integration might be useful. Also was hoping for an improvement over factory sound. I combined this with speaker upgrades, replaced all 8 speakers (4 woofers, 4 tweeters) with Kickers. The combination has given me better sound than I hoped for! Plenty loud, clear highs, tight bass - I might add a subwoofer in the future, but it really is good as is. I also installed a Kenwood DRV-N520 dash camera and a Kenwood CMOS-320 backup camera at the same time - the DNX994S head seamlessly integrates these, with full control from the head, and I can view dashcam footage on the DNX screen. And the nav is typical Garmin, excellent.
Pros: Very good sound, excellent camera integration, Garmin nav
Cons: Haven't found any yet...
22 of 22 found this helpful
One of my first multimedia units,no complaints by far,I love that it is Apple and Android Friendly since I will be switching soon,loving Android Auto! The quality of the picture is amazing,I often find myself wanting to take a drive just to use it,worth every penny! Kenwood has definitely gained a new lifetime customer.
13 of 13 found this helpful
Excellent radio...easy to set up. I went from an Excelon DNX9960 to this. The only features that I miss are the "ATTN" button to mute, and the audio warnings of "Traffic Ahead" instead of the "beep". You have to have the Navigation on to see the alerts. The sound is great, and have more options including Apple CarPlay.
Pros: Great quality and sound.
Cons: No "ATTN" button and no verbal traffic warnings
14 of 14 found this helpful
The dnx994s was installed in my car today. Pros: DVD player has a clear and high quality picture. The HD radio has a good reception. Garmin navigation is a plus. I can control my Pandora app phone on the screen through blue tooth. Cons: the back up camera's night vision is grainy. I'm taking it back tomorrow to have the connection checked. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix.
Pros: Pros: DVD player has a clear and high quality picture. The HD radio has a good reception. Garmin navigation is a plus. I can control my Pandora app phone on the screen through blue tooth.
Cons: Cons: the back up camera's night vision is grainy. I'm taking it back tomorrow to have the connection checked. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix.
17 of 20 found this helpful
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|High-res Playback||WAV/FLAC (24-bit/192kHz),DSD(up to 11.2MHz)|
Garmin Navigation: With built-in Garmin & HERE navigation software and map data, the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S features on-screen maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, and Mexico. The built-in maps include over 6-million Points of Interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, attractions, parking, airports, ATMs, and more. The built-in navigation software provides you with calculated on-screen routes and audible directions to follow in order to reach your destination safely.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the Kenwood receiver will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be purchased and downloaded as needed, via SD/SDHC memory card. Garmin supports map updates for five years for each model year. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna features a self-adhesive base and an attached 11.5' cable which plugs into the back of the head unit. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted inside the vehicle on the dash. The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive pad measures 2.5625" square.
- Acquisition Time: 29 seconds (cold)
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Accuracy: <2.5 meters continuous (Position), 0.1 meter/sec (Velocity)
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 14.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to LA, California. It only took 7.3 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
INRIX Traffic: You can receive INRIX traffic information and weather forecast through the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S by connecting your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) or Android (OS 4.0.3+) smartphone with "Kenwood's Traffic Powered By INRIX" application (from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store) installed. While the DNX994S is in navigation mode, it pulls real-time data from the INRIX Traffic app on your smartphone which provides you with up-to-the-minute traffic, weather, parking, traffic cameras, and travel advisory information on-screen. You get 2 years free access to INRIX traffic information (fees will apply after 2nd year). Your iPhone must be connected via USB, while your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the Kenwood navigation receiver.
- Traffic: By automatically learning a user's driving habits, INRIX Traffic personalizes routes to avoid the worst traffic, recommends trips and departure times, and provides automatic, intelligent alerts to keep users aware of changing road conditions. INRIX even rovides real-time images from traffic cameras along major roadways to supplement the traffic information.
- Weather: INRIX provides local area current temperatures, forecasted weather conditions, and severe weather alerts. It also gives you advance warning of dangerous weather-related road conditions ahead, keeping your safer along your route.
- Parking: INRIX helps you to find detailed parking information, including parking availability in nearby garages and pricing information.
- Fuel: INRIX also helps you find nearby fuel stations and compare fuel prices.
On-Screen Map: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the DNX994S guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The upper-left corner of the screen indicates the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, your current speed is shown in the lower right corner. The posted speed limit for most major roads is displayed near the lower right corner as well. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can change the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, station wagon, sports car, compact car, SUV, jeep, RV, or sled) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Note: In Split-Screen mode, you can view song/artist information (including album art) of your audio source while you also viewing the navigation map. In addition, the backup camera can be displayed in Split-Screen mode along with the map screen. You can even watch video in Split-Screen mode along with the map when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-40) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit offers English, French, and Spanish voice prompts.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX994S will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Driver Assistance: The DNX994S features Lane Assist, Photo-Real Junction View, Exit Services, and Speed Limit Icons to assist you along the calculated route to your destination.
- Lane Assist: Lane Assist guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate. The Lane Assist feature can be found in the top left hand corner of the map screen.
- Photo-Real Junction View: This feature of the navigation system realistically displays junctions and interchanges along your route, including the surrounding landscape.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Speed Limit Icon: A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posted speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
Destination & Location Screens: The DNX994S offers a variety of destination/location screens & functions to help you along your route.
- Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
- Where To? Screen: The "Where To?" screen provides
several different ways to enter your destination. The navigation system
automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also
choose to have the DNX994S search for places in a different city, a recent
destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your
- Browse Map: Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.
- Go Home: You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.
- Address/Cities/Intersections: Input your destination address by house number, street, city, and zip-code. You can also search for a city by name or search two intersecting streets.
- POI Category + Quick Search: The detailed maps loaded in this navigation system contain locations, such as restaurants, hotels, parking, auto services, and other POIs (points-of-interest). You can use these categories to browse for nearby businesses and attractions. After you have performed a search for a point-of-interest, certain categories may display a Quick Search list that displays the last four destinations you selected.
- Favorites & Recents: You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later. You can also choose from one of your most recent destinations (up to 50) or waypoints.
- Search Bar & Shortcuts: You can use the Search Bar to search for locations by entering a category, brand name, address, or city name. In addition, you can add up to 36 shortcuts to the Where to? menu. A shortcut can point to a location, a category, or a search tool.
- Where I've Been/Trip Log: The "Where I've Been" application allows you to view your previous routes and places you have stopped on the map. In addition, the device keeps a Trip Log, which is a record of the path you have traveled. The Travel History setting must be enabled in order for the Where I've Been and Trip Log features to function.
Trends: The DNX994S has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Economy: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX994S calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- At The Pump: At your next fill-up, you can enter in fuel price, amount of fuel used, and the distance you traveled to calculate your vehicle's miles-per-gallon (MPG).
- ecoChallenge Tool: The ecoChallenge tool helps you
maximize your fuel economy by scoring your driving habits. The higher your
overall score for a driving challenge, the more fuel you could save. You
overall score is the average of these 3 scores -
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles.
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Route Preferences/Avoidances: When calculating a route, you can select the following preferences; faster time, shorter distance, less fuel, or off road. You can also program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route; such as U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads, and Ferries.
Auto Reroute/Detour: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX994S might not calculate a detour.
Trip Planner (Multiple Destination Routing): You can create and save a trip with multiple destinations (up to 500 via points) using the Trip Planner. Once you have entered your destinations, you can manually set them in the order of your preference, or allow the device to calculate the most efficient route. Trip itineraries can be saved in memory for future use. You can even add scheduling information to each location in your trip, including the desired arrival time and layover duration at each location.
Trip Computer: The trip information page displays your current speed and direction, and provides helpful statistics about your trip. Dual trip odometers keep up with your total mileage. The page also indicates the distance and driving time to your next maneuver, as well as the distance and driving time to your destination. Your maximum speed and moving average speed are also displayed. The information can be reset in advance of your next trip.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving when the vehicle's parking brake is disengaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
GPS Simulator: You can turn the unit's GPS receiver off and simulate travel along a projected route.
Android Auto: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S navigation receiver receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "grey" USB port (not "black") via the included USB extension cable and the USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Kenwood receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Kenwood receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Kenwood receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Only one Android device with Android Auto can be connected at a time.
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately); any other USB extension cable can cause Android Auto to malfunction.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "black" USB port (not "grey") via the included USB extension cable and the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately). CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. It also works with the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen controls. Use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mail, send/ receive messages and select music in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze (coming soon), you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Kenwood receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
- Only one Apple CarPlay device can be connected at a time. Must be connected to the "black" USB port (not "grey" USB port).
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately). Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
iPod/iPhone Music Playback Only: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay, you can also connect your Lightning-connector Apple iPod/iPhone to the DNX994S for music playback & control only using Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device. You can use either USB port on the radio. The receiver supports playback of stored music and music apps, along with control and charging, plus song/artist information and album art.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to
navigation your iPod/iPhone's music library from its front-panel &
touchscreen controls. The head unit offers unique search features like
Category Search & Link Search, plus offers basic playback functions like
Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of
your connected iPod/iPhone. You'll also still be able to control most
connected Apple devices from its own touchscreen while connected via USB.
- Category Search: Category Search allows you to navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, Audiobook, or Radio. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order).
- Link Search: The head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DNX994S will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. The unit will also display song/artist info and album art from select music apps.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/6/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Pandora||Spotify||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Only one Apple iPod or iPhone can be connected at a time. If you try and connect two Apple devices at the same time, you get the following on-screen message "Only the first connected iPod/iPhone can be used". You'll need to disconnect both devices and reconnect the one you want to listen to.
- Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Smartphone Charging: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual Phone Connection: You can pair up to ten Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time, making it easier to switch between devices. Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Auto Pairing (for iPhone): You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Note: When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the DNX994S can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (1-30 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX994S, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number from the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can download phonebook data (up to 1000 entries) from your phone to the DNX994S. You can then dial by using the downloaded phone book and search it alphabetically.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 entries total).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC lossless music streaming. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DNX994S offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DNX994S offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DNX994S lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DNX994S and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): You can access Pandora & Spotify online music services on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone through the Kenwood Excelon DNX994S receiver. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Pandora: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the DNX994S using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically, or shuffle playback stations in your list. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also select stations from a Genre list. In addition, you can skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- Spotify: The DNX994S has the ability to playback & control content from the Spotify music app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. You can play, pause and skip tracks, browse playlists, albums and radio stations through the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen & front-panel controls. You can even create your stations by entering a track, artist, or playlist. You also get song/artist information on the unit's LCD touchscreen. If you are a Spotify Premium user (requires a monthly paid subscription), you can enjoy ad-free, high quality music even when there is no internet connection.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- Smart Favorite Presets: Up to 20 SiriusXM Satellite
Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets on the
current band are recognized as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as
TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix.
- TuneStart: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan plays the first 6 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- TuneMix: TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your Smart Favorite preset music channels from the current SiriusXM preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from as few as two to as many as six music channels.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- Alerts: Receive alerts of your favorite song or artist,
favorite sports teams, plus traffic and weather.
- Content Alerts: When a broadcast program related to the your favorite artist or song starts, a message appears to allow you to switch to that station.
- SportsFlash: SportsFlash will notify you when a big play happens during a game with one your favorite sports teams. You can choose to tune to that station or continue to listen to the previous channel.
- Traffic & Weather Now: Traffic & Weather Now allows you to access the latest report whenever you want to hear it by city.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (80dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (80 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX994S to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: You can store 15 FM presets and 5 AM presets (total of 20). Not only does the navigation receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info/Album Art AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art.
- Multicasting & Emergency Alerts: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8). HD Radio also delivers critical and life-saving messages to the public during emergency situations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood receiver's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports a variety of audio & video files recorded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc (see chart below).
- Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
SD Card Slot: The navigation receiver is fitted with a SD card slot on the front-panel that is hidden behind the unit's electronic slide-down touchscreen monitor. The SD card slot supports both SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. The unit supports playback of a variety of compressed and high-resolution music files, as well as standard and high-definition video files, plus JPEG still image stored on a compatible SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card (see chart below).
USB MSC Playback (Dual USB Ports): The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S features two rear-panel USB inputs (one is "black" and the other is "grey"). Each rear-panel USB input consists of a USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis by a 7" pigtail and comes with a 39" USB extension cable. These USB ports can be used for connection and control of up to two portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enable playback of a variety of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB memory device (see chart below). USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB ports (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Two USB mass storage class devices or USB thumbdrives can be connected at the same time; you can switch back and forth between devices (it does not combine the libraries).
- The USB ports do not support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), AOA (Android Open Accessory), USB hubs, or card-readers.
- You can connect an Android smartphone with Android Auto and a USB thumbdrive at the same time.
- You can connect an Apple iPod/iPhone to the "black" USB port and a USB thumbdrive to the "grey" USB port at the same time.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S supports the following types of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC), SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32, ex FAT NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA/AAC:
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC: bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC (Hi-Res): bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-192kHz
DSD (Hi-Res): bit depth of 1-bit; sampling frequency of 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
|Video||MPEG-1: max resolution of 352 x 240 or 352 x 288;
max bit-rate of 1.5Mbps |
MPEG-2: max resolution of 720 x 480 or 720 x 576; max bit-rate of 8Mbps
MPEG-4: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
H.264: max resolution of 1280 x 720 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
WMV/MKV: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32 x 32 to 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||5,000 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)||9,999 folders/9,999 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC-tags, & Album Art|
High Resolution Audio Playback: The Kenwood navigation receiver supports playback of high-resolution FLAC & WAV music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz), as well as DSD music files (up to 11MHz/1-bit) via USB & SD/SDHC/SDXC.
Search Functions: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S offers unique search functions for disc, SD, & USB playback.
- Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
- Category Search (USB/SD only): You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device or SD memory card by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search (USB/SD only): Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S will display song/artist information as well as album art for MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music tracks (if encoded).
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Excelon Series: The DNX994S navigation receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage 5V preouts, plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24/32-Bit DAC: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S utilizes a 24/32-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 90.5dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX994S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/5V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DNX994S features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and offers independent level control (-50 to +10 dB).
DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points. You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
- Car & Speaker Type: Indicate the type of vehicle and
the size of your vehicle's speakers, plus their location inside the vehicle.
- Car: Select your car type - Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van (Long) or Off.
- Speaker Size: Independently set the Front & Rear speakers to OEM 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10", or None. You can set the Subwoofer to 6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15"+, or None. Set the Tweeter to Small, Middle, Large, or None.
- Speaker Location: Set the location of the Front speakers to Upper Door Area, Lower Door Area, On Dash, or Under Dash. Set the location of your Rear speakers to Upper Door Area, Lower Door Area, Upper Cargo Area, Lower Cargo Area, Upper 3rd Row Area, Lower 3rd Row Area, or Parcel Shelf Area.
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: Select your optimal listening position from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front All. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. The Front Focus feature even lets you localize the sound image in front of a selected seat (Left or Right).
- High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: Allows you to set
high-pass and low-pass crossovers for a Front, Rear, and Subwoofer speaker
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter
(HPF) for your front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for unit sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter (HPF) for your front & rear speakers.
Equalizer: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, and a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Pops, Easy, Top40, Jazz, Powerful, Rock, or User 1-4) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User modes (1-4) allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB.
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequency ranges that become hard to hear due to road noise.
Music Enhancement: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Sound Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 1, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Stage EQ: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Stage EQ can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The navigation receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DNX994S also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DNX994S features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 62.5Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 7-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
AV Input: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S navigation receiver is fitted with a rear-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio/video input to connect external AV sources, such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner.
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's AV output can be set to Disc, AV-In, USB, SD, or Off. Volume of the second zone can be controlled by the navigation receiver or your rear entertainment system.
Rear & Front Camera Inputs: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up. There is also a composite video input for connecting a front dash-cam (sold separately), so you can display what's ahead of you on the head unit's touchscreen LCD monitor.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Rear-View Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire of the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Dash Cam Ready: In addition to the front camera input, the DNX994S is equipped with a proprietary "Dash Cam" control input for connecting Kenwood's DRV-N520 dashboard camera (113DRV520, sold separately). The DRV-N520 offers high resolution 1080p recording, plus motion detection technology. The dashboard camera's live and recorded video are displayed on the DNX994S' touchscreen. You'll also control the DRV-N520's settings and parameters from the DRV-N520's touchscreen.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier, plus select Toyota/Scion and Honda/Acura vehicles.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
6.95" Capacitive Touchscreen: The Kenwood Excelon DNX994S features a 6.95" widescreen (16:9) capacitive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text; as well as highly responsive touchscreen operation. Touchscreen operations include tap, touch & hold, flick left or right, and swipe up or down. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc and SD card. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- Custom Home Screen & Shortcuts: You can customize the head unit's Home Screen by rearranging the icons and moving the icons of the seven most sources you use most to this screen. Three programmable shortcut source keys offer a quick jump to your favorite sources.
- Background Color & Images: You can choose between nine preset background colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White. You can also choose to link the displays color with the unit's front-panel variable color illumination that you set. In addition, there are six preset background images or you can download your own still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Picture Adjustments: You can adjust the LCD touchscreen's backlight, contrast, black level, brightness, and color.
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as CarPlay & Android Auto.
Dual Core Processor w/ Faster Start-Up Time: The Kenwood navigation receiver utilizes a Linux based system and dual core processor for faster operating speeds and enhanced stability. The unit has start-up time of approximately 17.1 seconds from OFF to the last source selected or navigation map screen.
Split Screen AV Control: The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the head unit's touchscreen monitor into two screens, with navigation on the left and a source window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen, as well as song/artist information (including album art) and basic playback controls simultaneously. You can also view the backup camera display along with the map screen. You can even display the navigation map screen and DVD or AV-IN video simultaneously with the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31).
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the head unit's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange/white "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim the display manually. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain the same brightness.
Clock & Date: The navigation receiver offers a 12-hour clock & day/month/year display. The clock is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Home button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DNX994S offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The head unit features a factory steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood DVD head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
18 questions already asked