About the Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD
Improved navigation for 2012
Improved navigation for 2012
Kenwood's upped the speed limit with their 2012 in-dash navigation lineup. The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD navigation receiver offers a user interface that's way faster than last year's models, so you can dive right in and explore easy-to-read maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, along with over 6 million POIs. Plus, Kenwood's added Photo Real junction views so you'll know exactly what upcoming intersections will look like.
The DNX9990HD incorporates NAVTEQ's traffic info for accurate and up-to-the-minute data, with automatic rerouting around congestion and road closures in over 90 cities in the US and Canada. When you're not in a metro area that's covered, it calculates routes based on historical traffic data to avoid traffic tieups.
PANDORA® for iPhone®, Android, and Blackberry
Kenwood's audio/video cable (not included) lets you connect your iPhone to the DNX9990HD and control your Pandora® Internet radio stations from the receiver's touchscreen. The touchscreen makes it easy to find the stations you want to hear, with "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" ratings on the touchscreen.
Android or Blackberry users can enjoy Pandora® control through the receiver's Bluetooth® features. This Kenwood supports the Serial Port Profile (SPP), which means you can use the receiver's interface to control Pandora® when your compatible Android or Blackberry device is linked up.
Aha Radio control
If you're an Aha Radio user, then you know how Aha Radio organizes your favorite web content into personalized on-demand radio stations. You can control your Aha Radio content from this receiver's touchscreen, using your iPhone, Android, or Blackberry device.
Bluetooth for safer driving
Built-in Bluetooth supports hands-free calling — when a call comes in, you'll answer with one tap of your finger and talk to callers as if they're in the car. You can also stream music from a compatible Bluetooth device — that means no more wires hanging from your dash.
HD Radio tuner
The built-in HD Radio™ tuner lets you enjoy much-improved sound quality when you're tuned into local AM and FM stations broadcasting the digital signal. And there's no subscription fees for HD Radio — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
More audio and video options
You can plug your iPod® or a thumb drive into the rear USB port, and enjoy all your favorite albums and playlists. This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files, while a rear A/V input offers a connection for any other audio/video sources. Whatever you're listening to, this Kenwood will send a crisp, clear audio signal to your speakers, and you'll have a wide range of soundshaping tools at your disposal, including a 13-band equalizer and time alignment.
The high-resolution VGA screen is perfect for viewing video from DVDs or other sources when you're parked. You can tap into video content on your iPod or iPhone with the help of an iPod cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, a great way to survive long road trips.
Expand your system
You can hook up a satellite radio tuner to the receiver and access a wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music from SiriusXM. You can also connect a rear-view camera, so you can see what's behind you as you back out of a tight parking space. The receiver's 5-volt preamp outputs will send a clean signal to your outboard amps, for maximum fidelity and minimum noise.
Good news for SYNC users
iDatalink's Maestro module allows you to install a super-fast Kenwood navigation receiver while keeping your factory-installed Ford SYNC features intact. You'll get to keep your voice commands, factory Bluetooth®, satellite radio, iPod® control, and steering wheel audio controls. The package integrates all these factory systems with your new Kenwood receiver, even optional SYNC features like 911 Assist.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility of this device may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Garmin navigation system with free traffic services
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized 6.95" touchscreen
- animated display with multiple GUI
- Aha Radio app control
- Pandora control for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- optional remote control
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- 13-band EQ with digital time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod control: Kenwood cable required for full access to audio/video content
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DNX9990HD
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN DVD/Navigation receiver with built-in 6.95" monitor (15A fuse installed in chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- 2 Trim rings
- Wiring harness
- AV input/output harness
- GPS antenna (with attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive magnetic base
- Remote control (RC-DV331)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Microphone with integrated bracketed (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Two-sided tape
- Instruction Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD
Features & specs
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (R), Composite (R)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Android Control||USB MSC + Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP + Pandora|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Kenwood Excelon: The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD 2-Din multimedia DVD receiver with navigation, HD Radio, and Bluetooth incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage preouts (5V), and a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DNX9990HD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DNX9990HD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX9990HD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs: The DNX9990HD features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Sound Excellence DSP (Digital Signal Processing): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's Sound Excellence DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the Delay Time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van , Mini Van Long, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 20' (0.07' steps) for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
- Speaker Location: You can set
the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers.
- Front: Door, On Dash, or Under Dash
- Rear: Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row
- Speaker Size: You can select
the speaker size for your Front and Rear speakers, as well as your
- Front: OEM, 4", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 4.75", 3.5", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10"
- Tweeter: On or Off
- Rear: None, OEM, 4", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 4.75", 3.5", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10"
- Subwoofer: None, 6.5", 8", 10", 12", or 15"+
- Elevation Level: You can virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers. The Elevation Level can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Space Enhancer: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level.
- X-Over: The head unit features
independent Front and Rear high-pass crossovers, as well as a subwoofer
- Front High Pass Filter: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range)
- Rear High Pass Filter: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range)
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or Select Full-Range)
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°)
- Subwoofer Level: You can adjust the level of the unit's subwoofer preamp output from -50to +10dB.
Note: You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the EQ presets, or set your own custom settings for the front and back speakers using the 13-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- EQ Presets: You can select from Flat, Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Powerful, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types within your iPod), or User (customized 13-band EQ).
- 13-Band EQ: 13-Band frequency adjustment (-9 to +9 dB) for Front & Rear speakers using the following center frequencies; 62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3khz, 10kHz, 16kHz.
Bass Boost: The DNX9990HD features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies.
Bass DC Extension: When turned on, frequencies lower than 62.5 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 13-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Highway Sound: You can boost a certain range of sound that becomes hard to hear due to road noise. The Highway Sound level can be set to High, Low, or Off.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
Dynamic Range Control: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store EQ and tone settings for each source (Disc, AM/FM, AV-IN1/2, USB, iPod, Bluetooth Audio, and Pandora).
Key Beep: The in-dash navigation-multimedia head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Motorized Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD features a motorized 6.95" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system and LED backlighting. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc.
Reverse Tilt Monitor: The Reverse Tilt Monitor not only allows the bottom of the monitor to be tilted upward at five different positions, but also enables the top of the monitor to be tilted outward to eliminate reflected glare.
Start Up Time: The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD has a start up time of approximately 29.1 seconds from Off to the "Warning" screen. Once the "Warning" screen appears, you can tap the "Agree" button on the head unit's touchscreen to go instantly to the Navigation screen or press the "Menu" hard-key to access the Source menu.
Customized Top Menu: You can register up to 3 of your favorite sources (Navigation, Disc, HD Radio, USB, iPod, Pandora, Bluetooth Telephone, Bluetooth Audio, SiriusXM, Video, Audio, Setup, or Standby) as the unit's Top Menu screen for easier, quicker access.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen that are touch sensitive.
Variable Illumination (256 Color Palette): You can adjust the head unit's touchscreen and button illumination from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White, or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select three custom user colors that are adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue values from 0-31 each. In addition, you can download still images for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive. The Kenwood logo and eject button will always remain red.
Flick Scrolling: You can scroll screen lists by simply flicking the screen up/down, or scroll screen pages by simply flicking the screen right/left.
Split Screen AV Control: The DNX9990HD's screen views can be easily toggled from one to another simply be touching the screen or appropriate button. The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the screen into two screens, with navigation on the left and a control window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function the head unit can now display the navigation and source screens (or rear-view camera) simultaneously.
Selectable Screen Viewing Modes: You can choose from the following screen modes for DVD, Video, iPod, USB, and Rear-camera playback:
- Normal: Displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side.
- Full: Expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height.
- Justify: Expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges.
- Zoom: Expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges.
Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness. You can also manually dim the unit's touchscreen and button illumination.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood DNX9990HD against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
2-DIN Chassis: The DNX9990HD has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Garmin/NAVTEQ Navigation: With built-in Garmin navigation software and NAVTEQ map data (CN North America NT 2012.20), the Kenwood DNX9990HD features on-screen maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico - which includes over 6 million Points of Interest. You can follow calculated on-screen routes to your destination using the head unit's built-in navigation software. As you travel, the DNX9990HD's navigation system guides you to your destination with audible & visual guidance.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the DNX9990HD will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be downloaded as required, via a SD memory card. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
Note: The unit's SD-card slot is located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor. The SD-card slot is only used for software and map updates. It cannot be used for playback of media files from an SD memory card.
High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver: The Kenwood DNX9990HD employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options.
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Position Accuracy: <6 meters, typical
Note: The first time you turn on this unit, you must wait while the system acquires satellite signals for the first time. This process could take up to several minutes. Make sure your vehicle is outdoors in an open area away from tall building and trees for fastest acquisition. After the system acquires satellites for the first time, it will acquire satellites quickly each time thereafter.
GPS Antenna: The DNX9990HD comes supplied with a GPS antenna that features a magnetic base and an attached 16.5' cable terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to GPS-ANT input on the back of the head unit. The unit also comes supplied with a self-adhesive magnetic base if you are having trouble finding a flat metal surface to mount the antenna. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the vehicle (on the dash) or outside the vehicle (on the roof or trunk). The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.5625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive magnetic base measure 2.0625" (w) x 2.0625" (d).
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the DNX9990HD guides you to your destination with voice prompts, arrows on the map, and directions at the top of the map. The upper-left corner indicates the distance to your next maneuver, If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions. Your route is marked with a magenta line, while your vehicle is marked by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, car, jeep, RV) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-35) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit only offers English voice prompts in a male or female voice.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX9990HD will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Lane Assist with Photo Real Junction View: The Lane Assist function guides you to the appropriate lane you should be in for upcoming junctions and interchanges, while Photo Real Junction View displays a realistic view of upcoming road details facilitating a safer navigation experience.
NAVTEQ Traffic: NAVTEQ Traffic receives traffic information that is broadcast over the FM Radio Data System. The free FM TMC subscription activates automatically after the navigation system acquires satellite signals while receiving traffic signals from the service provider. NAVTEQ Traffic provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including the United States and Canada. If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. Alternatively, in manual mode, the system will add delay time to your trip so you can decide to avoid or continue on your current route. When the unit is receiving traffic information, a traffic icon appears in the upper-left corner of the Map page. The traffic icon changes color to indicate the severity of traffic conditions on your route or on the road you are currently traveling.
|Green||Low severity||Traffic is flowing normally|
|Yellow||Medium severity||Traffic slightly congested|
|Red||High Severity||Traffic is heavily congested or stopped|
|Gray||No data||Traffic data has not updated|
Note: NAVTEQ includes a lifetime service subscription. Because NAVTEQ traffic is subsidized by unobtrusive pop-up advertising there is no subscription fees.
Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
Where To? Screen: The Where To? screen provides several different categories for you to use when searching for addresses, cities, and other locations. The detailed map loaded in the navigation system also contains millions of points of interest to choose from.
|Browse Map||Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.|
|Go Home||Store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.|
|Address||Input your destination address by house number, street, and city.|
|Cities||Allows you to search by city's name.|
|Intersection||Allows you to search where to streets intersect.|
|Points-of-Interest||Allows you to search for over 6-millions points of interest in the following categories: Food, Fuel, Transit, Lodging, Shopping, Bank/ATM, Parking, Entertainment, Recreation, Attractions, Hospitals, Community, or Auto Services. The "Spell Name" feature allows you to enter a point of interest by name.|
|Favorites||You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later.|
|Routes||Allows you to select from previously created (custom) routes.|
|Recently Found||Choose from one of your 50 most recent destinations or waypoints.|
|Phone #||Allows you to search your destination by entering the place's phone number.|
|Coordinates||Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.|
|Extras||You can manually load custom points of interest (POI) databases, available from various companies on the Internet. Some custom POI databases contain alert information for points such as safety cameras and school zones. The navigation system can notify you when you approach one of these points (Proximity Alert). You can download the custom POIs onto a USB mass storage class device.|
Search Modes: The navigation system automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also choose to have the DNX9990HD search for places in a different city, a recent destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your current route.
Multiple Destination Routing (Via Points): You can add intermediate destination points (via points) to your routes as you create it. You can also add points to your route after its been created when you go to edit the route. You can program up to 500 via points for long trips.
Route Preference: Selects the preference for your calculation between Faster Time, Shorter Distance, Less Fuel, or Off Road.
Avoidance Setup: This feature allows you to enter specific areas and roads to avoid in your routes. You can choose to avoid U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic, Ferries, Carpool Lanes, or Unpaved Roads. You can also pick specific roads or areas to avoid.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving. You will need to engage the parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
Turn Pages: The following pages help guide you along the turns of your calculated route.
- Turn-List: When you are navigating a route, the Turn List page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns.
- Next Turn: When you are navigating a route, the Next Turn page shows the turn on the map and the distance and time left before you reach the turn.
Trends: The DNX9990HD has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
Auto Reroute: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions.
Detour: You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX9990HD might not calculate a detour.
Trip Log: The Trip Log creates a bread crumb trail (trip log) of your movement. At any time the entire track log can be displayed on the map. You can also reset the track log whenever you like.
Trip Computer: The trip computer shows current speed, current direction, distance to destination, total distance traveled, average speed (including stopped time), average speed while moving, maximum speed, total trip time, total moving time, and stopped time. You can reset just the maximum speed or reset the entire trip computer at once.
Speed Limit Icon: A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posed speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Report: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX9990HD calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- ecoChallenge Tool: The
ecoChallenge tool helps you maximize your fuel economy by scoring your
driving habits. The higher your overall score for a driving challenge, the
more fuel you could save. You overall score is the average of these 3
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
- Less Fuel Routes: The Less Fuel route is calculated based on speed limit and acceleration data.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Tools: The DNX9990HD offers tools you can use as you travel:
- World Clock: The world clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world. You can also display a map of the world showing which portions are in daylight and which are in darkness.
- Calculator: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Station Text + Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The DNX69900HD also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations.
Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog).
iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs.
Tuner Presets: The DNX9990HD's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood DNX9990HD offers two preset modes. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Seek Modes: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX9990HD to search only HD Radio stations.
Direct Access Tuning: You can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the include wireless remote control.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood DNX9990HD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the SiriusXM All Access package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live content
- GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast
- Song/Artist Alert notifies when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station
- iTunes Tagging lets you 'tag' songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB), so the next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes you will be able to preview your selections, purchase songs, and download them directly from iTunes
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). If you already have a Sirius Satellite Radio subscription, this radio cannot be added as a discounted second unit. If you have an existing XM Satellite Radio subscription, you can add this unit as a discounted second unit.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DNX9990HD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R/RW, DTS-CD, and VCD discs. The touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs.
Dolby Digital/DTS: The DNX9990HD supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 DVD discs and will convert multi-channel Dolby Digital sources to 2-channel.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play AAC (16-320 kbps), MP3 (32-320 kbps) and WMA (32-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/W discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. The head unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders per disc (a maximum of 999 filers per folder). During AAC/MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays song, artist, and album information (up to 50 characters). The unit supports ID3 Tag version 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4.
MPEG Playback: The unit also supports video playback of MPEG1 & MPEG2 (NTSC) video files recorded onto DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W discs.
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc.
Highlight Control: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Zoom: The DNX9990HD features a 3 level zoom when playing back video and still images.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Rear-Panel USB Port: The Kenwood DNX9990HD features a Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (labeled USB) attached to the unit's rear chassis by a 39" cable. The rear-panel USB port enables playback of MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (32-320 kbps), AAC (16-320 kbps), and WAV audio files; as well as JPEG/PNG/BMP (32 x 32 to 8192 x 7680) still-picture files stored on a USB Mass Storage Class device. The DNX9990HD also supports video playback of MPEG1, MPEG2, H.264/MPEG-4, and WMV 9 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 file system. The head unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders per USB device (a maximum of 999 filers per folder). The unit will display any recorded song, artist, and album information stored on your connected USB device (up to 50 characters). Your USB device's rechargeable battery will be recharged while it is connected to the USB port (max. 1A) of the DNX9990HD and the unit is turned on.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Kenwood DNX9990HD is also fitted with a second rear-panel USB type-A port (labeled iPod) and rear-panel 3.5mm input (labeled iPod/AV-IN2) that allows you to connect your Apple iPod/iPhone using the Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable ( 113KCIP202, sold separately). The unit's USB port handles the control, metadata display, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. You can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info on its display, while your iPod/iPhone charges. The 3.5mm AV input handles audio and video transfer from your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DNX9990HD. By using the Auxiliary input, the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod/iPhone. The unit's rear-panel AV-IN2 input must be set to "iPod" in order to playback audio/video from your connected iPod/iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
Note: The DNX9990HD does not support the standard iPod/USB dock cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone.
iPod Control: You can choose to control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit, from the iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen, or from select apps streamed to your iPhone.
- Head Unit Control Mode: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories alphabetically (A-Z) using the head unit's touchscreen slider function. You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- iPod/App Control Mode: The iPod/App control mode allows you to control stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The iPod/App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Kenwood head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can even watch video on the Kenwood Navigation receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+). The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include - Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Kenwood DNX9990HD will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood multimedia head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. The unit will also display Album Art. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone in iPod/App Control Mode, the DNX9990HD will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display 'iPhone App Mode + Parking Off').
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DNX9990HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features when used with the required Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable (as of 9/26/2012):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Pandora App||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
| clickwheel |
Notes: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Music Control for Android Smartphone: The Kenwood Music Control app for Android organizes your Android smartphone's music, while providing quick and easy search capability from the Kenwood navigation receiver. The free Kenwood Music Control App for Android can be downloaded onto your Android smartphone from the Android Market place. Your Android smartphone must be running Android OS 2.2 or later. Once the app is downloaded and has a chance to organize all the stored music on your Android smartphone, you can connect your Android smartphone to the Kenwood navigation receiver via USB (your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol). The Kenwood Music Control app offers the following Android supported functions.
- Song Management: Music stored in your Android smartphone can be navigated from the Kenwood navigation receiver. Songs can be easily selected by searching for a Song title, Artist name, Album label, or Genre.
- Song Information Display: Song information such as Artist name, Song title, and Album label are displayed on the connected Kenwood navigation receiver.
- Mood Playlist: Playlists can be created by classifying songs into categories by type of mood. Songs are analyzed and classified into the following categories of moods - High Energy (Active/Powerful/Core), Acoustic (Detailed/Simple/Smooth/Easy), Standard (Dynamic/Rockin/Vivid), Stylistic (Cool/Urban/Trance)
- Intro Skip: This function allows you to choose and listen to only the hook-lines of songs stored in your Android smartphone.
Note: When the Kenwood Music Control app is first downloaded it will require some time to populate all the music, so we suggest doing this overnight.
Music Files Format Supported by Music Control app for Android:
|Codec||Extension||Bit Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|AAC||.aac, m4a||up to 160 kbps||8-48 kHz|
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Latest firmware updates are available at Kenwood's 2012 Navigation/Multimedia Receiver Firmware Updater. The tested head unit contained software/firmware version 1.0.0 (as of 2/23/2012).
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Kenwood DNX9990HD lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
- Pandora App for iPhone: The Kenwood DNX9990HD provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 3.0 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Pandora via Android: The Kenwood DNX9990HD also lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Pandora from the Kenwood head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Pandora Control: The Kenwood DNX9990HD will display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. The Kenwood DNX9990HD also provides control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Aha Radio Compatibility: The Kenwood navigation-multimedia head unit offers compatibility with the free Aha Radio app for iPhone and Android smartphone. Aha Radio provides you with up to the minute content made available from the convenience of Kenwood's touchscreen interface. Listen to the latest Facebook updates or Tweets from your friends. Listen to thousands of stations that include internet radio, podcasts, and audiobooks. Receive traffic information, restaurants and coffee locations personalized to you instantly, safely, and easily.
- Aha Radio for iPhone: The Kenwood DNX9990HD provides complete access to your Aha Radio account using your iPhone, via the head unit's USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 4.0 or later) with the latest version of the free Aha Radio app from Apple's iTunes App Store.
- Aha Radio for Android: The Kenwood DNX9990HD also lets you playback and control Aha Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Aha Radio from the Kenwood head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the free Aha Radio App from the Android Market. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need an Aha Radio account. Access to the Aha Radio will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Not available in Canada.
Bluetooth Technology (powered by Parrot): The Kenwood DNX9990HD features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 3.0) powered by Parrot. The Kenwood DNX9990HD's built-in Bluetooth technology promotes safe driving habits by allowing you to have a hands-free conversation while driving, without the need to hold a phone to your ear. Your Bluetooth enabled phone can be kept in your purse, pocket, or glovebox - while you communicate through the Kenwood navigation-multimedia receiver. The head unit also support Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless Pandora Internet Radio control (via Android or BlackBerry).
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. The DNX9990HD is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile), SYNC (Synchronization Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
- Pandora Control (via Android or BlackBerry): SPP (Serial Port Profile)
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone must be paired with the DNX9990HD before hands-free operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Kenwood head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time). Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DNX9990HD. Visit http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/bt/index.php for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
External Microphone: The Kenwood DNX9990HD includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth). This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the DNX9990HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-99 seconds. The DNX9990HD also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX9990HD, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to directly dial a number.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DNX9990HD. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can sort your Phonebook alphabetically (A-Z) by the contact's name.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
- POI Dialing: From the navigation unit's POI search menu, you can select on a specific point-of-interest, and if it includes a phone #, you can dial the number simply by pressing the "Call" icon on the head unit's touchscreen.
Note: While your vehicle is moving, some Bluetooth hands-free communication functions are disable for safety reasons. The keys associated with the disabled functions become ineffective if touched. To access the function, the vehicle must be in Park with the parking brake engaged.
SMS (Short Message Service): You can wirelessly download a SMS arrived at your cell-phone so that it can be read on the Bluetooth connected Kenwood head unit. Up to 149 already read and unread short messages can be downloaded. You can reply to a SMS by using the head unit's touchscreen to enter alphanumeric text. There is a limited amount of text that can be downloaded or entered. Your cell-phone must support SMS via Bluetooth for this feature to function. Do not read incoming SMS or reply to SMS while driving.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DNX9990HD will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DNX9990HD also supports audio streaming of music apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker), but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Pandora Control (via Android or BlackBerry): The DNX9990HD also lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android or BlackBerry smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). While providing control over the Pandora music service, the Kenwood navigation head unit also displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list; you can sort the station list by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also skip song tracks within a station. In addition, you can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. You must select Pandora (wireless) as your source and not Bluetooth Audio for this function to work.
Note: Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market or the BlackBerry App World. Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must also be Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP/SPP certified and will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Bluetooth Detailed Settings: The DNX9990HD offers the following Bluetooth Detailed Settings, so you can configure the unit to suit your needs.
- Call Beep: You can choose to output a beep from your vehicle's speaker's when a call comes in, or you can turn this function off.
- Speaker Output: You can select whether the call beep/caller's voice and streaming audio is heard through only the front speakers or all speakers.
- Mic Level: Adjusts the volume of the external microphone.
- NR Level: Reduces the noises generated by the surrounding environment without changing the mic volume.
- EC Level: Adjusts the level of echo cancellation.
Dual AV Inputs: The unit features two rear-panel AV inputs for connecting external A/V sources. The unit is equipped with a 3.5mm AV input and a composite/stereo RCA AV input. You can label each AV Input.
- AV1 Input Label: Video1, DVD, VCD, VCR, Game, Aux, TV, or Navigation.
- AV2 Input Label: iPod, Video2, DVD, VCD, VCR, Game, Aux, TV, or Navigation.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a set of stereo RCA jacks and a composite video jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, Video, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor. You cannot select iPod as the A/V Output source when you select Pandora as a main source in dual zone function.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-200 ( 113CMOS200, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (in 22-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. You can manually set the touchscreen to display both the navigation map and back-up camera at the same time, when backing up. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Optional Multi-View Camera: By connecting the Kenwood CMOS-310 Universal Multi-View Camera ( 113CMOS310, sold separately) to the DNX9990HD, you gain the capability of turning parking guidelines on/off, as well as cycle through five different multi-views right from the touchscreen. You can also toggle between front & rear cameras when using two CMOS-310 simultaneously (second camera must be connected to the head unit's rear-panel AV input.
IR Remote Control: The included IR remote control (KNA-RCDV331) provides wireless operation over the Kenwood navigation head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight. The functions operated from the remote controller differ depending on the position of the mode switch located on the right side of the KNA-RCDV331. You can select from Audio, DVD, TV (not used), or Navigation mode.
- Audio: The Audio mode of the remote controller allows you to operate functions; such as Source switching, Volume, Dual Zone, HD Radio tuning, Bluetooth Audio, and iPod/USB playback.
- DVD: The DVD mode of the remote controller allows you to operate functions such as CD/DVD playback and file/track/folder searches.
- TV: TV mode is not used.
- Navigation: Navigation mode allows you to operate the unit's built-in navigation functions.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Ford SYNC Compatible: 2012 Kenwood navigation head units are compatible with a web programmable module due from Automotive Data Solutions (ADS) that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood navigation head unit to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system. This ADS iDatalink Maestro module (sold separately...coming soon) lets Ford owners swap out their factory radio for a 2012 Kenwood navigation head unit; while retaining the OEM Sync voice control, steering wheel controls, hands-free Bluetooth, USB interface, and factory satellite radio. They can also keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). The iDatalink Maestro module must first be connected to your computer via USB and programmed, before connection between your Ford vehicle and the Kenwood navigation head unit. The Kenwood navigation head unit also features an OEM Setup menu that must be configured before operation.
The Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD replaces these items
- 6.95" touchscreen with variable illumination
- PANDORA® connectivity with iPhone®, Android, and Blackberry
- built-in Bluetooth® and HD Radio® tuner